watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Skeptical

Started by mike_corkcity12, July 28, 2015, 05:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denver Fulham

If we had earned any type of reasonable point haul from our first eight matches, we would have finished with 60+ points, which is a mid-table team. And we were terrible last season.

We're clearly "improved," and there's no way we're coming out of this window without at least one new CB. Everything about the club's actions and news/rumors suggests that.

So, we'll see what happens. It's a long way from mid-table to the top six (last year, sixth place was 78 points, and Wolves didn't even make the playoffs with that same total), but there's no way we're not a "better" team than last season as we currently stand.

GloucesterWhite

IF we strengthen the defence I think we will surprise many people. We have good crossers of the ball now and with Smith in the middle that could pay dividends - Smith is almost like a new player as he was out on loan for much of last season. He and Mc did well for Leeds and could repeat that for us, especially as it looks as though the diamond is dead. LVC needs to find his pre-injury form, but if he does...

I am more positive than most here. But it does depend on new defenders (and Rigg is trying to buy) and on Kit improving his performance. I think top 6 is possible.

WONKYTONKY

As it stand right now. If no one else came in I'd expect and be confident of a top of mid table position come end of the season; butttt I really do believe we are going to improve the squad further. With a little work on sorting out the defence I'm sure we could be pushing those play-off spots

WONKYTONKY

Quote from: Nick Bateman on July 28, 2015, 07:24:11 PM
Why, pray, are we NOT talking about challenging for the top?? Rather that than challenging for mid-table/bottom-half!!

Just being rational. We were a long, long way away and although i am very happy with the direction the club is going. at the moment we still need to improve in areas.

Chutney

Minimum we should expect is top half, another bottom half finish in this division is unacceptable for a football club that was a Premiership side the season before last. We need to show some ambition, I think top 6, Emerson hyndman is key.
C O Y W

Oakeshott

Our most urgent need is surely a commanding centre back, commanding both in the sense of dominating opposition attackers and giving leadership to our back four. With one of those (whom surely we could get for £6m or less) and the squad we now have (I am particularly pleased we've signed O'Hara, the nearest we've come to an adequate replacement for Danny), a good manager should have us challenging for the top six.

If we don't get a good centre back, that for me represents failure by Riggs and/or Khan.

If we do and aren't in serious contention for the top six by the end of the year, that for me defines Kit as not up to the job.

WONKYTONKY

Quote from: Oakeshott on July 28, 2015, 09:12:16 PM
Our most urgent need is surely a commanding centre back, commanding both in the sense of dominating opposition attackers and giving leadership to our back four. With one of those (whom surely we could get for £6m or less) and the squad we now have (I am particularly pleased we've signed O'Hara, the nearest we've come to an adequate replacement for Danny), a good manager should have us challenging for the top six.

If we don't get a good centre back, that for me represents failure by Riggs and/or Khan.

If we do and aren't in serious contention for the top six by the end of the year, that for me defines Kit as not up to the job.

I want Kit to lead us forward but I think this is fair. Although I think top 8 with a just missed out feeling would be okay.

Whitesideup

Quote from: MJG on July 28, 2015, 06:48:53 PM
I never buy the argument that this player played for a team that went down or below so he's no good. Any of the teams above us would take Ross or LVC.  It's the player you look at,  not the team.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Oh I don't know. Parker was in the most influential position on the pitch for West Spam when they went down.

Whitesideup

Quote from: Chutney on July 28, 2015, 08:38:35 PM
Minimum we should expect is top half, another bottom half finish in this division is unacceptable for a football club that was a Premiership side the season before last. We need to show some ambition, I think top 6, Emerson hyndman is key.
Will he play though? Everything I have seen of him is positive and I know he was injured a lot last year, but I am not convinced he will be given much playing time.

mike_corkcity12

Quote from: Whitesideup on July 28, 2015, 09:31:50 PM
Quote from: Chutney on July 28, 2015, 08:38:35 PM
Will he play though? Everything I have seen of him is positive and I know he was injured a lot last year, but I am not convinced he will be given much playing time.

Of course he won't play!

Hara, Cairney, LVC, McDonald will all be ahead of him.

Rigg talked about pathways in his recent video and sending players on loan. Not every player needs to be sent on loan, look at Sterling for example. Look at Harry Kane. Harry Kane was sent on loan to average/rubbish sides and he didn't do anything noteworthy. Then he gets played in a decent Spurs squad and scores goals!

Hyndman, Dembele and Woodrow should all be trusted to make a positive impact on the first team. All 3 are decent enough and will only improve in our team. If we send them out to a rubbish league 1 or league 2 side and they fail to perform, then I don't think that is a fair reflection of their ability.

Artful Dodger

I disagree with the scepticism and think we are in much better shape now than last year. What we needed last year was the best of the championship players and whilst we can argue if they are the very best, we now have the best players from 3 clubs, Smith and LVC are almost like new signings and I even think we will see Richards play better next season. With Garbutt and a proper No.2 keeper, we are in much better shape.

I think with good luck on the injury front, we should be looking at top 6 with the players we have. If we get a CB or two like we have been linked with, we should be amongst the front runners this season, albeit top 2 may be a stretch. Have some faith!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

mike_corkcity12

Quote from: Artful Dodger on July 29, 2015, 07:24:20 PM
I disagree with the scepticism and think we are in much better shape now than last year. What we needed last year was the best of the championship players and whilst we can argue if they are the very best, we now have the best players from 3 clubs, Smith and LVC are almost like new signings and I even think we will see Richards play better next season. With Garbutt and a proper No.2 keeper, we are in much better shape.

I think with good luck on the injury front, we should be looking at top 6 with the players we have. If we get a CB or two like we have been linked with, we should be amongst the front runners this season, albeit top 2 may be a stretch. Have some faith!
Last year we finished on 52 points. 6th place finished on 78.

Do you think the players added will give us the 26 point swing needed to get into top 6 based on last years results? That is an extra 9 wins.

McBride78

I don't know if we are 9 wins better than last year, but we are better.  That I believe.  In many games last year we had plenty of possession and lacked end product, which I think we will better going forward.  In those cases, perhaps a 1-0 loss, or 3-2 loss becomes a point or 3 points. 

As for the games where we were hammered due to piss poor defense, that still needs to be addressed.  I would say that we may be a few wins better, but with a CB or two we could be closer to the 9 extra wins than many may think.

Barrett487

I'm generally pleased with the signings, but that still doesn't guarantee success. It's pretty obvious that we will sign a CB, but whether this stems the goal concessions depends on how well the defensive unit play, not just one player.

I'm anticipating an improvement on last season, however i'm also nervous that coaching and tactics are potentially our biggest areas of concern.

Wimbledon_White

For me, all those who are 'skeptical' still have their expectations way too high.

Yes we have improved the squad but I wouldn't be at all surprised if we got top ten rather than top six. I wouldn't be too disappointed with that either; we probably need another season to consolidate and push forward. Our players who remain from last season still are not the most experienced Championship players in the world, with the exception of a couple here and there, and as such will still need time to progress.

Don't get me wrong, a couple of new CBs would make me feel a lot more optimistic.

What are people skeptical of? That we will be promoted? I wouldn't call that skepticism, I would call it realism. If people think we should be nailed on for promotion then I fear the expectations are too high and Kit wont be given a fair crack this season.

Bronaldinho

Response to the opening post:

Don't look at who they played for last season, look at their contribution. Pringle arguably carried that Rotherham side and we finally have a winger with an end product again. His left foot is magical.

O'Hara while his younger years were tarred by constant media coverage, he wanted to come back to London, settle down and we've given him that opportunity. Watch him take it with open arms. He was a class above at Blackpool and when we played them at Bloomfield he was easily the best player on that pitch. His assists, chances created were phenomenal.
I'd expect us to renew his deal in January as he'll play a big part in the upcoming season. Ideal for that deeper role and his passing range is second to none.

Be very thankful that Rigg,Khan & Kit have gone out and bought midfielders who are creative. Cairney, LVC, Pringle, O'Hara is an incredibly creative midfield, the potential is endless.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

Wimbledon_White

Quote from: Bronaldinho on July 30, 2015, 09:02:14 AM
Response to the opening post:

Don't look at who they played for last season, look at their contribution. Pringle arguably carried that Rotherham side and we finally have a winger with an end product again. His left foot is magical.

O'Hara while his younger years were tarred by constant media coverage, he wanted to come back to London, settle down and we've given him that opportunity. Watch him take it with open arms. He was a class above at Blackpool and when we played them at Bloomfield he was easily the best player on that pitch. His assists, chances created were phenomenal.
I'd expect us to renew his deal in January as he'll play a big part in the upcoming season. Ideal for that deeper role and his passing range is second to none.

Be very thankful that Rigg,Khan & Kit have gone out and bought midfielders who are creative. Cairney, LVC, Pringle, O'Hara is an incredibly creative midfield, the potential is endless.

Agree entirely. But a good team does not happen over night. We'll be better in the second half of the season; I predict a tough start.

Centre backs now please Mr Rigg

mikestrand

Kit will be given 10 games to prove himself, Which I think is more than generous of the club.
Not making the defence a priority was another mistake.

Wimbledon_White

Quote from: mikestrand on July 30, 2015, 10:55:44 AM
Kit will be given 10 games to prove himself, Which I think is more than generous of the club.
Not making the defence a priority was another mistake.

How have we not made it a priority? You don't know that at all.
We just havent been able to get any defensive signings, other than Jazz and Garbutt, over the line. We have been otherwise inked with Dunk, Lees and Tarkowski. Surely that shows that we ARE prioritising the defence!

Or at the very least, it shows that your assertion is harsh.

alexbishop

think we absolutely looking at bringing centre backs in but struggling to get deals over the line for whatever reason. Suprises me given our success at bringing midfielders in earlier on this season. I think the type of CB we need is hard to come by so we may have a fairly short list. Need a bit more 'out the box' thinking perhaps. Are there any league 1 centre backs for instance with the necessary qualities to make the step up? Is there someone abroad we could look at bringing in?
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop