watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Skeptical

Started by mike_corkcity12, July 28, 2015, 05:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_corkcity12

We have a stronger squad this season than last season. This is for certain. However I don't think this is evidence that we will actually be challenging or competitive near the top of the league.

Our signings:

Pringle - Free signing, best player from 21st placed Rotherham.
O'Hara - Free signing, best player from last placed Blackpool.
Cairney - Best midfielder from 9th placed Blackburn.
Jazz Richards - One impressive performance for Wales does not counteract a dozen or so unimpressive performances for us.
Lonergan - 29 appearances for 18th placed Bolton. Rumour that he is our number one goalkeeper.
Luke Garbutt - Young full back with potential.

Of course I could be wrong here but it doesn't inspire me with too much confidence. It strikes me as a midtable side at most. Nothing has been done to address the center back issue. Symons does not seem to rate Burn which means we are relying on Hutchinson and Bodurov. Rigg seems to be struggling to get deals done for Championship players, Dunk and McDonald. Whether this is because of a lack of financial backing from Khan or Rigg's negotiation skills is unknown.

Then on the other hand we have lost Roberts and are at risk of losing Bettinelli, Dembele, Hyndman and LVC (apparently Villa are circling).

As for tactics. If we play a 4-2-3-1 then I fear it will be reminiscent of the Jol era. Lack of pace and width and we will be easy to stifle, not to mention our defensive frailty. Potentially our left flank could be exciting with Garbutt and Pringle/Kaca. Potentially.

Maybe I am a pessimist instead of a skeptic but I do not hold too much faith in the squad as it stands to be competitive.

Hmm.

Lighthouse

Hold on nobody should be talking about challenging at the top of the league. However after last seasons wasted season we are beginning to rebuild a squad.

As for the rest, well the transfer window has a long time to run so all a bit early to talk about not addressing the back four issues. Roberts has gone and that means we have lost nothing and gained some money. He was never good enough to play consistently last season and I guess would not be a first choice this season. May be a great star in the future. As for the players that could be leaving. Well that is the nature of the beast. We lose our best players. It has always happened.

As for not being competitive. I presume that was your opinion last season. It certainly was mine. So I think we have improved on last seasons squad. So here is hoping for a better season. But to expect a struggling side over the last 5 or more seasons to suddenly be promotion material is pushing it. So a slow improvement is what we may have and we hope for more.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Craven Mad

I've gotta agree, I'm feeling very skeptical too.

The signings so far are definite improvements on what we had, but our biggest problem last year was the amount of goals we conceded and we've done f-all to fix that so far.

A stronger midfield should keep the ball better, but a huge number of goals we conceded last season was from individual errors in a flakey backline.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I really can't see us being close to challenging. Our squad is absolutely miles off those of Boro and Derby and it's hard to see anyone we have, bar Ross maybe, going straight either of their teams.

I really want to be optimistic, but I'm worried we're in for a drab mid-table season where we lose the rest of our youngster in Jan...

FulhamStu

Listen, I thought we would be mid table last season and we started with 1 point from 7  and rock bottom.   The players we have aquired are good players and the fact that they shone for crap sides you could argue makes them even better.  We have 5 weeks to sort out the central defence and have reportedly made at least 6 bids for players so eventually we will sign one or two, its just all parties currently trying to maximise money, Rigg talked about this in his interview this week.  Our young players are a year older and Kit will have learnt from last season.  If he has not learnt enough, he will not last too long !    We have money in the bank, and could still bring in another forward and a DMF player.  I don't 'expect' to be challenging for promotion, however I 'expect' a lot better than last season.  Where we will end up is uncertain and it may take a season to gell what is after all another 'brand new team'.   Plenty of reasons to be optimistic and that is how I will remain at the moment.  Results will soon tell us the truth.

FulhamStu

Quote from: Craven Mad on July 28, 2015, 05:51:32 PM

The signings so far are definite improvements on what we had, but our biggest problem last year was the amount of goals we conceded and we've done f-all to fix that so far.

A stronger midfield should keep the ball better, but a huge number of goals we conceded last season was from individual errors in a flakey backline.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I really can't see us being close to challenging. Our squad is absolutely miles off those of Boro and Derby and it's hard to see anyone we have, bar Ross maybe, going straight either of their teams.

I really want to be optimistic, but I'm worried we're in for a drab mid-table season where we lose the rest of our youngster in Jan...
But this is not true.  We have a new keeper (backup or first choice).  We have a new right back and left back.  Richards only played a part of last season on loan.  If he is as crap as some say, I doubt he would play for Wales and have had games for Swansea.  That is 3 out of 5 defenders.  We are clearly in for at least one central defender and could by the end of the window have a TOTALLY new back 5 !

Jonaldiniho 88

I think pringle and cairney were signings most of us were very keen on an and we got them. I think betts was close to being our player of the season last season (fans vote) and the squad is looking better. Ohara was probably the least wanted player but in the time he has been here I think he has been the most impressive. We would be silly in expecting more than mid table next season and any more than that would be great. With a completely new midfield I think it may take time until we seen the best from them. The possibility of new defenders would also mean it will take more time for them to form a unit. I think one big difference is our bench will be a lot stronger.

filham

Yes Mike, I think you have it about right. We have bought in a little more experience in midfield but lets be honest none of last season's championship leaders were trying to sign these players which indicates they probably already have better players.

We were terrible last season and it is unlikely that these modest signings will transform us into a title chasing outfit. We will of course have to wait for a game or two to see how good or bad we are this season but the real hope lies in the progress made by the young players we introduced last season.

If LVC, Dembele, Hyndman  and Woodrow have made a development leap then we could be in for a pleasant surprise.

Of course we have to tighten up at the back, if we ship goals at the rate we did last season we are again in trouble.

MJG

I never buy the argument that this player played for a team that went down or below so he's no good. Any of the teams above us would take Ross or LVC.  It's the player you look at,  not the team.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Northern Cottager

Think we need a few more players but the ones we've brought in are improvements, no question.

fulhamben

Quote from: FulhamStu on July 28, 2015, 06:04:02 PM

But this is not true.  We have a new keeper (backup or first choice).  We have a new right back and left back.  Richards only played a part of last season on loan.  If he is as crap as some say, I doubt he would play for Wales and have had games for Swansea.  That is 3 out of 5 defenders.  We are clearly in for at least one central defender and could by the end of the window have a TOTALLY new back 5 !
he didnt improve our defense though did he, and if you was on twitter the night of the wales belgium game, you would have seen all the welsh fans questioning why he had been picked in the first 11. which suggests to me that before that game, he hadnt impressed for wales either. maybe he is not a crap player, but i believe the majority wanted someone better.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Jack Fulham

Well, our squad is definitely in better shape and most players have championship experience. I think we will have a comfortable season but not necessarily in the race for promotion.

Neil D

Quote from: fulhamben on July 28, 2015, 06:58:11 PM
he didnt improve our defense though did he, and if you was on twitter the night of the wales belgium game, you would have seen all the welsh fans questioning why he had been picked in the first 11. which suggests to me that before that game, he hadnt impressed for wales either. maybe he is not a crap player, but i believe the majority wanted someone better.
But somehow still good enough to be selected for the 7th best team in Europe...

fulhamben

Quote from: Neil D on July 28, 2015, 07:11:44 PM
lol, is that really your arguement. why do you think they loaned him and then sold him for just 500k then? and yes its amazing who can get selected when all other options are injured or suspended.

RaySmith

The squad has definitely been improved with some astute signings, and the club has said it's hoping to sign a couple more.

So on paper we should do better than last season , or at least begin better, when we began with a completely inexperienced team, many of them fresh out the youth team.

Danny Kelly on 5Live said that Magath thought pre-season that the standard of the Championship was about that of a Sunday League  - and there's maybe some truth in that.

Anyway, it's a good job that Kit came in when he did.

So we survived, and this is fresh season with a definitely improved side re experience - so let's give it a chance. I will feel positive until results say the opposite, which I hope won't happen, but I'm not sure promotion is on the cards this year - but let's get behind the team for a decent season, and not write them off before it's even started.

fulhamben

Quote from: fulhamben on July 28, 2015, 07:17:59 PM
Quote from: Neil D on July 28, 2015, 07:11:44 PM
lol, is that really your arguement. why do you think they loaned him and then sold him for just 500k then? and yes its amazing who can get selected when all other options are injured or suspended.
whoops misread that. wales dont have a huge amount of players to pick from, so they wont always be able to pick good players in every position. and like i said, many welsh fans were miffed as to his selection

Nick Bateman

Why, pray, are we NOT talking about challenging for the top?? Rather that than challenging for mid-table/bottom-half!!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

fulhamben

Quote from: Nick Bateman on July 28, 2015, 07:24:11 PM
Why, pray, are we NOT talking about challenging for the top?? Rather that than challenging for mid-table/bottom-half!!
because our team is currently nearer a blackpool than a bournemouth.  our defence needs work as does our attack if mitro leaves, not one dm at the club. no real pace, and a manager who is still (hopefully) learning. but yes other than that we should be nailed on for promotion

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: Nick Bateman on July 28, 2015, 07:24:11 PM

To challenge for the top we require a lot of players and a risk in getting them of putting our future at risk in a boom or bust type of way. After the way the club has gone recently a more reserved approach may not give us boom but will hopefully prevent bust. We can't afford to buy a championship winning team within Ffp. Going too soon may also scupper our chances later. This season should be about building a nucleus of a team that play well together and top six would be a dream. Next season should be adding quality to quality and making a massive push. The sky is the limit but get too close to the sun and you may burn your wings. So I guess what I'm saying is the lower, colder sky is the limit.

VicHalomsLovechild

It cant be easy for Rigg to persuade players to join us. I'm still not convinced Kits the right man. Better football than last season, our youngsters maturing and a top half of the table finish would be fine in my book.
We are nowhere near ready to be looking to return to the Premiership yet.

FulhamStu

Quote from: FulhamStu on July 28, 2015, 06:04:02 PM

Yep, I would have liked someone who had impressed us more, however I am willing to give him a bit of time and a run in a better organised defence.  Now the question we all agree is:  Will the defence improve because the one thing we all know is that it bloody well needs too.