watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is anybody expecting more than a season

Started by H4usuallysitting, July 29, 2015, 12:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H4usuallysitting

of consolidation this coming 2015/16 season.....I think most of us expect to finish around 12th, and the start of refurbishment of the Riverside to commence.....also another positive would be getting the youngsters on longer contracts.......we have a relatively rookie Manager with a new team, I think we have goals in this team and around 12th will be a positive progression - but i think realistically we should be looking at the 2016/17 season as a possible push for promotion.....incoming

Jack Fulham

Our midfield should be a lot stronger this year and we've got McCormack who is one of best players in the league. I don't think we're good enough to go up with the current manager and defence but we will be a decent championship side. A few signings of real intent could change that. The best thing about the championship is the unpredictability though and the playoffs always feel like they're in reach.

Barrett487

I wouldn't speculate about this season until it's underway, let alone the next!

HatterDon

Quote from: Barrett487 on July 29, 2015, 01:09:48 AM

Wise man.

Logic tells me that we'll solidify our team this season, finish comfortably in the upper half, and make a strong push for promotion in 16-17.

Of course, logic ALSO tells me to find a club that is less stressful on my heart and soul, so screw bloody logic! COYW
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Roberty

I had a bet - at 20/1 on use winning the Championship

Do I expect us to - it is a gamble

If we do I will have a free season ticket for several seasons and be overjoyed

If we don't I will lose my money, bitch like everyone else on here and have good reason to do so
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Berserker

As long as it isn't as bad as last season I'll be happy
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Northern Cottager

Quote from: HatterDon on July 29, 2015, 02:33:47 AM
Quote from: Barrett487 on July 29, 2015, 01:09:48 AM

Wise man.

Logic tells me that we'll solidify our team this season, finish comfortably in the upper half, and make a strong push for promotion in 16-17.

Of course, logic ALSO tells me to find a club that is less stressful on my heart and soul, so screw bloody logic! COYW

Haha, something quite special about Fulham, despite our constant disappointment.

I'm trying to stop myself from being optimistic because I always am and it never works out ! Aside from in 2010...but I need to let go of that...

Northern Cottager

Quote from: Berserker on July 29, 2015, 07:31:31 AM
As long as it isn't as bad as last season I'll be happy

What about the season before...and the one before that? ;)

bill taylors apprentice

Of course I'm optimistic despite various issues about the team and the club generally.

Its a tough league but a team that competes on the physical side, plays a simple and effective system that the players buys into and have some quality to make it work can aspire to top 6.

After last years shock start I think we now know what to expect physically, if we get 2 more decent players in we are 2/3rds there.
Then its down to the coaching staff to do their job effectively and that's the tricky bit.

IMO there's a lot of effort put into the team work and fighting qualities in this division and that carries most teams a long way.
If we can match the likes of Ipswich & Brentford (who I believe are getting the maximum out of what they have) for organisation with two good signings we can match anyone for quality in this League.

But its a big "IF". 

Burt

Comfortable mid-table with demonstrable progress from last season and the hint of building solid foundations for pushing on the following season would be enough for me.

Riverside

I think we should be challenging for the play offs this season . I think our signings have been good and we are certainly a stronger side and hopefully more stable than last season .

Signing a class CB on top of what we have could actually get us into the playoffs . But as we are we should challenge .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grandad

I don´t think we are ready for promotion this season. We need another season to fine tune a squad that would not only gain promotion but have the quality to stay there. In any event, gaining promotion would see us having to compete with the huge transfer fees being paid for players I certainly know nothing about. It would make the fee paid for Ross look like petty cash.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Andy S

I do not see how anybody can predict a mid table slot at the end of season. The fact is there is always very few points between mid table and play offs. It is about momentum which an ordinary team gain after a good run and confidence

Riversider

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on July 29, 2015, 12:19:49 AM
of consolidation this coming 2015/16 season.....I think most of us expect to finish around 12th, and the start of refurbishment of the Riverside to commence.....also another positive would be getting the youngsters on longer contracts.......we have a relatively rookie Manager with a new team, I think we have goals in this team and around 12th will be a positive progression - but i think realistically we should be looking at the 2016/17 season as a possible push for promotion.....incoming
When I speculate in my mind where we will finish, I try to evaluate which teams are stronger than us, so for example , for somebody to say that we will finish 12th that surely means that he considers there to be 11 teams stronger than us ! ...........Really ?
I'd be interested to know who these 11 teams are ?
I have us in a range of 6,7, or 8th.......but the next 3 signings could dramatically change my outlook and solidify my thoughts on 6th and better,
One last thought though, the greatest signing that we could possibly make between now and the start of the season would be that of an Assistant Manager with vast experience to assist Kit Symons, go on to the official site and read the cv's of the team assisting him now and you scratch your head and wonder how any of them have got a job at a Championship club with promotion ambitions, were getting close to having a team with promotion capabilities but off the pitch we are miles away from it .

Ordar

As I've mentioned several times, due to the TV money in 16/17 going up dramatically, its imperative that we get promoted this season. Finishing bottom of the league will net you 100m so attempting to compete with relegated sides will be extremely difficult after this season.

Our signings so far have been good but we absolutely need two starting centre backs and another 20 goal striker.

Playoffs should be the absolute minimum expectation for this season due to the much heralded (on here) championship experience we now have in the side. In McCormack we have the best player in the division, Pringle, Cairney and Ohara were all top 10 on the assists last year in this division.

With regards to needing to improve the squad in order to stay in the prem if we were promoted, these days you pretty much need to buy an entire new first team to stay up, or be extremely well coached and organised (see palace) which we don't seem to be. We badly need an experienced assistant manager and a most definitely need a specific defensive coach

Anything lower than 6th should be seen as failure

MarryMeWRoy

Of course I'm optimistic, and predict we'll be in the play-offs but we haven't started the season yet!  Now is the time for positive thought and yes, blind optimism - being female I can change my mind a few games into the season if things don't pan out right.

The aim of the club is to be promoted - so at the moment, I BELIEVE!

GloucesterWhite

Quote from: Ordar on July 29, 2015, 09:38:03 AM
As I've mentioned several times, due to the TV money in 16/17 going up dramatically, its imperative that we get promoted this season. Finishing bottom of the league will net you 100m so attempting to compete with relegated sides will be extremely difficult after this season.

Our signings so far have been good but we absolutely need two starting centre backs and another 20 goal striker.

Playoffs should be the absolute minimum expectation for this season due to the much heralded (on here) championship experience we now have in the side. In McCormack we have the best player in the division, Pringle, Cairney and Ohara were all top 10 on the assists last year in this division.

With regards to needing to improve the squad in order to stay in the prem if we were promoted, these days you pretty much need to buy an entire new first team to stay up, or be extremely well coached and organised (see palace) which we don't seem to be. We badly need an experienced assistant manager and a most definitely need a specific defensive coach

:plus one:

Spot on. Our chances of going up will diminish as the years go by. We need to take a chance this year and spend like Boro are. Anything less and the message coming out of the club will be we are in the Championship and are happy to just tick over.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Ordar on July 29, 2015, 09:38:03 AM

Hit the nail on the head!

FPT

You really never know in this division. It's all about momentum, because of how thick and fast the games come, it's more about form with very little coaching time in between flurries of matches.

If you take it on the face of things, we are probably of that 8th-12th position - we're not solid enough to scrape a play off spot and we're not filled with enough goals to score us to those positions. We've got business to do, our system is still in its infancy (though improving).

I wouldn't expect the play offs as is, no.

nose

I do not think we will be in the top 6 or even have a season of 'consolidation'
we need a few more players of the Ross Mac standard in a variety of positions. we remin a team that seems to me lightweight throughout....   There is nobody we have yet brought in that gives rise for encouragement and whilst i think kit is a reasonable manager he didn't actually inspire as the season went on. He will be key.... if he throws off the shackles of media speak and worrying about supporters turning on him, he should stick to his prinicples, sort out his best 11, best formation and go with it.... not chopping and changing or picking his favourites, or ones the management felt hours on the pitch might inncrease their fee.

Also key will be a burn budrov partnership, anything else will be a bad sign (unless we buy somebody)
LVC playing well and ross performing to the max... cauley must play most of the season and most of the games because he has talent and needs to be allowed to prove it with a proper run, not being dropped, like last season, after he played a blinder V derby!!!!! I despair when managers do nonsense like that.

My prediction bottom half, probably not being free from relegation worries until mid april..... Kit? I think he will survive the season but a new man in the season after.

I am usually very up for it at this time of year but there is absolutely nothing being presented or said to make me think we have done anything that will make a change for the better.