more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Train Strike

Started by Andy S, August 05, 2015, 07:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craven Mad

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on August 06, 2015, 08:32:34 AM
I can understand why they are striking and the idea of working 22 out of 23 weekends as well as the nights is taking liberties. However, as a bus driver I find it hard to sympathise with them. They are paid a deservedly good wage considering the conditions of being in the dark all day but when you think of the perks that go with it like MJG mentioned I sometimes feel they are like spoilt brats.

Tube drivers don't have to deal with passengers complaining, passengers arguing amongst themselves, passengers who don't have a ticket or valid oyster, passengers constantly asking you questions WHILST you are driving. Diversions which can sometimes occur at the drop of a hat because of an accident and that is very challenging/ stressful when you could well be in an area of London you don't know very well and are following directions via radio. Roadworks, traffic, pedestrians not looking where they are going, the constant bell ringers, inspectors checking you have done your job properly and haven't allowed someone on without a pass, incompetent drivers, cars or delivery vans parked directly in front of a bus stop making it impossible to pull in straight which makes life hard work if a pushchair or wheelchair wants to get on or off. Last time I checked tubes don't have any of that, Oh disability awareness too. Having to wait for old people to sit down when you are already running late. Finishing two hours late when you have to get home to pick up your kids from a child minder or from school because the road is gridlocked and you can't move.

Add to that a salary of 31k a year and 21 days holiday without full sick pay for the first 5 years in the job and I think tube drivers don't really have it that bad do they? My last shift finishes at 3 in the morning and the first starts at 4am. OK I don't work through the night but as it stands we have to start and finish a lot later.

I am not anti tube and like I said I can see why they strike but they strike so often and couldn't care less about the general public and the little people that they affect that it makes me have no sympathy what so ever for this new issue.

Brilliant post, Danny. Really interesting to get your perspective.

Andy S

I get up half an hour before I go to bed. Lick road clean with tounge etc. etc that monty pyton sketch was funny

BigbadBillyMcKinley

I can understand why they are striking and the idea of working 22 out of 23 weekends as well as the nights is taking liberties. However, as a bus driver I find it hard to sympathise with them. They are paid a deservedly good wage considering the conditions of being in the dark all day but when you think of the perks that go with it like MJG mentioned I sometimes feel they are like spoilt brats.

Tube drivers don't have to deal with passengers complaining, passengers arguing amongst themselves, passengers who don't have a ticket or valid oyster, passengers constantly asking you questions WHILST you are driving. Diversions which can sometimes occur at the drop of a hat because of an accident and that is very challenging/ stressful when you could well be in an area of London you don't know very well and are following directions via radio. Roadworks, traffic, pedestrians not looking where they are going, the constant bell ringers, inspectors checking you have done your job properly and haven't allowed someone on without a pass, incompetent drivers, cars or delivery vans parked directly in front of a bus stop making it impossible to pull in straight which makes life hard work if a pushchair or wheelchair wants to get on or off. Last time I checked tubes don't have any of that, Oh disability awareness too. Having to wait for old people to sit down when you are already running late. Finishing two hours late when you have to get home to pick up your kids from a child minder or from school because the road is gridlocked and you can't move.

Add to that a salary of 31k a year and 21 days holiday without full sick pay for the first 5 years in the job and I think tube drivers don't really have it that bad do they? My last shift finishes at 3 in the morning and the first starts at 4am. OK I don't work through the night but as it stands we have to start and finish a lot later.

I am not anti tube and like I said I can see why they strike but they strike so often and couldn't care less about the general public and the little people that they affect that it makes me have no sympathy what so ever for this new issue.

Which is a result of privatisation if I'm not mistaken?

I've been working for LU for nearly 14 years, driving for 11. In that time I've seen my conditions get chipped away. Going from a 12 minute turn around, to 4. Imagine driving for 4.5 hours with literally no way of going for a slash apart from in a bottle and then getting 4 minutes to clear yourself before going the other direction. You're late leaving, you get asked to write a memo and it goes on your record.
Lunch breaks have been whittled down to the bare minimum.
But you know all this.
We do get complaints. We do get caught up in "traffic" and we do get numpties acting silly buggers on the platform. Not less stressful than other jobs, just a different type of stress.
UNITE were supposed to strike with us, because bus drivers don't want the night tube. Night bus shifts are the most lucrative if I'm not mistaken, you get paid extra. WE DON'T!
Over time on London Underground is banned.
We don't get paid any extra money at any point in the year, apart from excepional circumstances like New Years Eve night and Boxing day. Neither of which are compulsory, and I personally don't volunteer for because I'm not money orientated.
What we earn, is what we earn. There is no extra money made anywhere. We don't get 52 days holiday a year like the Metro would have you believe, we get 42, but that is from "Banked rest days" and the bank holidays we have to work, used another day. We work 37 1/5 hours a week and get paid for 35, hence the "banked rest days".

But London Underground are slowly, without warning, consultation or agreement, adding to our work load without any kind or compensation of any kind.

Imagine your boss turning up and saying "right, you're working all friday and saturday night from now on and you have no choice". Would you just go "ok, that's fine" or would you kick off? Especially if you had child care etc?
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

rweller86

If you don't like it, quit - don't make others suffer. Paid more than most of the people who use the tube, more holiday than most jobs. Too many people and small businesses suffer during a day of striking. There are other ways to go about it.
@rweller

epsomraver

Quote from: sunburywhite on August 05, 2015, 07:35:12 PM
Don't we have driverless trains on the Jubilee line

Had them on the Victoria line since the 70's, all the driver has to do is shut the doors for £50k a year

epsomraver

Quote from: MJG on August 06, 2015, 08:44:53 AM
Danny I have a really good mate who's a bus driver and compared to what the tube drivers have to deal with, its nothing compared to the shite you guys deal with day in day out.
0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg

The Equalizer

As an IT contractor of 17 years, most of that based in the City of London, I've suffered greatly from Tube strikes over the years. Many times I've not been able to get to work because of strikes, meaning that I don't get paid. I'd say that the transport unions owe me personally something in the region of £10K in lost earnings due to strikes.

No sympathy from me. You don't like the job you change it.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Craven Mad

Quote from: rweller86 on August 06, 2015, 09:40:02 AM
If you don't like it, quit - don't make others suffer. Paid more than most of the people who use the tube, more holiday than most jobs. Too many people and small businesses suffer during a day of striking. There are other ways to go about it.

Exactly.

Either get on with it or quit - it's what every other worker in the country does.

37.5 hour week, 42 days holiday and a very generous salary. Poor you.

epsomraver

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on August 06, 2015, 09:12:19 AM

I've been working for LU for nearly 14 years, driving for 11. In that time I've seen my conditions get chipped away. Going from a 12 minute turn around, to 4. Imagine driving for 4.5 hours with literally no way of going for a slash apart from in a bottle and then getting 4 minutes to clear yourself before going the other direction. You're late leaving, you get asked to write a memo and it goes on your record.
But you know all this.
We do get complaints. We do get caught up in "traffic" and we do get numpties acting silly buggers on the platform. Not less stressful than other jobs, just a different type of stress.
UNITE were supposed to strike with us, because bus drivers don't want the night tube. Night bus shifts are the most lucrative if I'm not mistaken, you get paid extra. WE DON'T!
We don't get paid any extra money at any point in the year, apart from excepional circumstances like New Years Eve night and Boxing day. Neither of which are compulsory, and I personally don't volunteer for because I'm not money orientated.
What we earn, is what we earn. There is no extra money made anywhere. We don't get 52 days holiday a year like the Metro would have you believe, we get 42, but that is from "Banked rest days" and the bank holidays we have to work, used another day. We work 37 1/5 hours a week and get paid for 35, hence the "banked rest days".

But London Underground are slowly, without warning, consultation or agreement, adding to our work load without any kind or compensation of any kind.

Imagine your boss turning up and saying "right, you're working all friday and saturday night from now on and you have no choice". Would you just go "ok, that's fine" or would you kick off? Especially if you had child care etc?

What about the £200 per night shift and the £500 bonus you are being offered? people work a 40 hour week on nights for £200 a week, my daughter works nigt reception for premier inn, 75 rooms all on her own from 10 till 7 for £6.72 an hour so get real, you have a bully union and you will get no sympathy from any one, on your point Danny of working in the dark Only 45 per cent of the Underground is actually in tunnels.

sunburywhite

Migrants would jump at the chance to be a train driver
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

dannyboi-ffc

But you know all this.

Only drivers on the old contract get paid extra for nights/unsociable hours. I dont and if I read it correctly you are being offered 200 quid extra per night? Poor tube drivers not getting overtime. I could do as much overtime as I pleased but I bet I still wouldn't earn what you earn.

As for breaks, I have no choice on my rota but to do what is called a spread over.  That means a 3/4 hour break for which I get paid 5 pound an hour! I also don't get paid for the first 40 mins of my break. I am only entitled to 5 minutes to check my bus and it is hardly professional for me to pull up half way through a trip to have a slash so I have to hold it too.  

People messing about on the platform is hardly the same is it? For example a drunk person in my face giving me abuse. You may have stress but it isn't the same. How about when I'm running late and have to terminate at an earlier point because I am instructed too? All the passengers abusing and moaning at me as if it's my fault. You may turn early but do you have to suffer the same confrontations as a bus driver? No you don't.  

It is not a competition but you certainly have the better job and in a lot of ways I think most would agree the easier job providing the dark doesn't phase you. I actually understand this strike and unless you are part of the transport industry you probably don't understand quite what is being asked and the liberties of it. But tube drivers have cried wolf too many times down the years over things like pay. Considering how much you earn in contrast to others who do more important roles in society I am not surprised that when you finally have a reason for striking that no one is interested.

It's so frustrating that bus companies are split up because it means we don't have the power that you do. We very rarely strike and the last time all drivers striked together was the Olympics which was a just reason. In the end we still got a smaller bonus for the Olympics than every other form of transport including the Boris Bike staff! You do all right for a living is all I am trying to say. I'll work nights and take the extra grand a week if you don't want it lol
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

dannyboi-ffc

I can't believe I've had two rants and forgot the biggest pain of all and I certainly hope you don't have this problem. (I can just imagine rats on wheels).  fp.gif

Anyway it's my best friends........Cyclists!  :drums: 049:gif 081.gif :yay: :dead horse:
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Logicalman

But you know all this.

If I didn't like it I'd look for another job.

I don't disagree that there are always two sides to the story, and the 'propaganda' put out by TfL, Boris and all is one-sided, but so is the same 'propaganda' put out by the unions, the trick is to read both and find the common ground.

But, the BIG difference is that when the tube workers aren't 'happy' with something they can strike, not caring what the effects are for others, though there are other workers who don't have that luxury and get paid a damn sight less than some tube workers do, and no 'shift-allowance' etc, and less paid leave.

Sorry, the tube strikers get NO sympathy from me, the unions involved in this are out for themselves and their members only, and the general public and businesses that suffer can all go to hell as far as they are concerned.

If the employees don't like the job, working conditions, etc then they should QUIT, and go find another job, perhaps that's too much of jump though, as without the ability to hold the public to ransom then there is no power, is there?

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

BR

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on August 05, 2015, 09:58:08 PM
I'd like to start by saying, so what if we go on strike? We are sticking up for ourselves and the fact that we are being FORCED to do something we haven't been consulted on or even asked our opinon on.
So what? The tube is an essential service that many people rely on to get to work and to run their business. The coffee shop on my way to work says that it's about 30% quieter today than yesterday. This puts a disproportionate strain on business.  And it's every business in London. With people taking more hours to commute, businesses are less productive.  You are holding the whole city to ransom.

To be honest; neither the company nor the staff want the night tube, the only person that does, is Boris. And he is a P-rick. But they are being clever in making in look like it's us that are ruining it.
If you read their garb and then ours, you will see the real reason we -the ENTIRE frontline staff - are with drawing our labour, and it's nothing to do with money.
I'm certain you're just teasing by omitting the opinion of the customer. The Tube's customers want it to be 24 hour. It's not the staff that imposes what they want, it's the customers.  It's clearly not only Boris.  This is a very disingenuous argument.

So, if it's nothing to do with money and we've established that it's not just Boris that wants it, I guess you can get back to work then and stop this striking nonsense?

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on August 05, 2015, 09:58:08 PMMe, I live in Brighton. Meaning a minimum of 2 hours till I get home (my choice and I wouldn't change it!), then I would need a few hours sleep. As a friendly estimate, let's say I wake up at 3pm. My kids go to bed between 7 and 8pm. Meaning; for the first time in 7 days, I get to see my kids for 4 to 5 hours....brilliant! But it doesn't stop there; on Monday morning I willl be back in. Because of the timing, it means I'll be gone before the kids and wife get up. Fun!
You have decided to live so far away from where you work.  Why is that a factor for us? This is your personal lifestyle decision.  Most people take the more sensible decision to live within a reasonable commute of their job.

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on August 05, 2015, 09:58:08 PMBut sleep matters not one bit when you're in charge of 1800 people in 360 tonnes of metal, because we're on £72 grand a year (I wish!)
This is the biggest straw man argument ever. The fact that you live hours from work and your willing to sacrifice sleep for other activities is actually your problem. I'm surprised that you're admitting in a public forum that you may not be sufficiently rested to perform your job safely.

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on August 05, 2015, 09:58:08 PMBut you know what the worst thing is? London Underground haven't once asked the opinion of the people that matter. The ones that are actually gonna be doing the work.
Again, the people that matter are the customers.  Businesses change all the time, based on growth, changing demands, markets etc.  Normally what happens is the employees either grow/evolve with the business or the business fires them.  Why should tube drivers (except for the fact that they can hold one of the biggest cities in the world to ransom) be different?

BigbadBillyMcKinley

We've rejected the money, twice! Shows it isn't about money.

I'm sorry that people are put out for a day, but that pales in insignificance for the 30+ years some of us will have to suffer if these proposals are pushed through.
Quote from: BR on August 06, 2015, 04:09:03 PM
I'd like to start by saying, so what if we go on strike? We are sticking up for ourselves and the fact that we are being FORCED to do something we haven't been consulted on or even asked our opinon on.
So what? The tube is an essential service that many people rely on to get to work and to run their business. The coffee shop on my way to work says that it's about 30% quieter today than yesterday. This puts a disproportionate strain on business.  And it's every business in London. With people taking more hours to commute, businesses are less productive.  You are holding the whole city to ransom.

To be honest; neither the company nor the staff want the night tube, the only person that does, is Boris. And he is a P-rick. But they are being clever in making in look like it's us that are ruining it.
If you read their garb and then ours, you will see the real reason we -the ENTIRE frontline staff - are with drawing our labour, and it's nothing to do with money.
I'm certain you're just teasing by omitting the opinion of the customer. The Tube's customers want it to be 24 hour. It's not the staff that imposes what they want, it's the customers.  It's clearly not only Boris.  This is a very disingenuous argument.

So, if it's nothing to do with money and we've established that it's not just Boris that wants it, I guess you can get back to work then and stop this striking nonsense?

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on August 05, 2015, 09:58:08 PMMe, I live in Brighton. Meaning a minimum of 2 hours till I get home (my choice and I wouldn't change it!), then I would need a few hours sleep. As a friendly estimate, let's say I wake up at 3pm. My kids go to bed between 7 and 8pm. Meaning; for the first time in 7 days, I get to see my kids for 4 to 5 hours....brilliant! But it doesn't stop there; on Monday morning I willl be back in. Because of the timing, it means I'll be gone before the kids and wife get up. Fun!
You have decided to live so far away from where you work.  Why is that a factor for us? This is your personal lifestyle decision.  Most people take the more sensible decision to live within a reasonable commute of their job.

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on August 05, 2015, 09:58:08 PMBut sleep matters not one bit when you're in charge of 1800 people in 360 tonnes of metal, because we're on £72 grand a year (I wish!)
This is the biggest straw man argument ever. The fact that you live hours from work and your willing to sacrifice sleep for other activities is actually your problem. I'm surprised that you're admitting in a public forum that you may not be sufficiently rested to perform your job safely.

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on August 05, 2015, 09:58:08 PMBut you know what the worst thing is? London Underground haven't once asked the opinion of the people that matter. The ones that are actually gonna be doing the work.
Again, the people that matter are the customers.  Businesses change all the time, based on growth, changing demands, markets etc.  Normally what happens is the employees either grow/evolve with the business or the business fires them.  Why should tube drivers (except for the fact that they can hold one of the biggest cities in the world to ransom) be different?

We've rejected the money aspect of it twice. Doesn't that show that it isn't about money?

I'm sorry that regular people are put out for the day, but their one day of hardship, is nothing compared to the potential 30 YEARS plus we would have to suffer.

We're not adverse to night running, never have been. But the fact that nob has closed EVERY single ticket office on the combine, with a loss of over 800 jobs, is it safe to run an increased service with less staff?

All we want, is to be respected for the (bragging!) good job we do.

I've just spent the days with my kids, something I'm not really gonna get if these horrible shifts come in.

bobbo

Quote from: The Equalizer on August 06, 2015, 09:46:23 AM
As an IT contractor of 17 years, most of that based in the City of London, I've suffered greatly from Tube strikes over the years. Many times I've not been able to get to work because of strikes, meaning that I don't get paid. I'd say that the transport unions owe me personally something in the region of £10K in lost earnings due to strikes.

No sympathy from me. You don't like the job you change it.
Get a job where you don't have to travel into London no one forced to you to work there
1975 just leaving home full of hope

bobbo

So all you anti-strikers think its ok for all the Ltu workers to have their conditions eroded and they should just sit back and do nothing . They have no other tools to fight against it.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

westcliff white

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on August 06, 2015, 06:40:58 PM

I'm sorry that people are put out for a day, but that pales in insignificance for the 30+ years some of us will have to suffer if these proposals are pushed through.
So what? The tube is an essential service that many people rely on to get to work and to run their business. The coffee shop on my way to work says that it’s about 30% quieter today than yesterday. This puts a disproportionate strain on business.  And it’s every business in London. With people taking more hours to commute, businesses are less productive.  You are holding the whole city to ransom.

I’m certain you’re just teasing by omitting the opinion of the customer. The Tube’s customers want it to be 24 hour. It’s not the staff that imposes what they want, it’s the customers.  It’s clearly not only Boris.  This is a very disingenuous argument.

So, if it’s nothing to do with money and we’ve established that it’s not just Boris that wants it, I guess you can get back to work then and stop this striking nonsense?

This is the biggest straw man argument ever. The fact that you live hours from work and your willing to sacrifice sleep for other activities is actually your problem. I’m surprised that you’re admitting in a public forum that you may not be sufficiently rested to perform your job safely.

We've rejected the money aspect of it twice. Doesn't that show that it isn't about money?

I'm sorry that regular people are put out for the day, but their one day of hardship, is nothing compared to the potential 30 YEARS plus we would have to suffer.

We're not adverse to night running, never have been. But the fact that nob has closed EVERY single ticket office on the combine, with a loss of over 800 jobs, is it safe to run an increased service with less staff?

I've just spent the days with my kids, something I'm not really gonna get if these horrible shifts come in.
Pales into insignificance? are you having a laugh!!! I lost 5k today in company earnings due to people not wanting to do a job. Still had to pay my employees. As another poster said 2 sides Boris's propaganda and the Unions propaganda the truth is in the middle but neither said will accent that.

Who is going to give me the lost 5k? the unions or boris answer is neither so I think I am more hard done by than any bloody striking driver today
Every day is a Fulham day

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: westcliff white on August 06, 2015, 07:25:57 PM
Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on August 06, 2015, 06:40:58 PM

So what? The tube is an essential service that many people rely on to get to work and to run their business. The coffee shop on my way to work says that it’s about 30% quieter today than yesterday. This puts a disproportionate strain on business.  And it’s every business in London. With people taking more hours to commute, businesses are less productive.  You are holding the whole city to ransom.

I’m certain you’re just teasing by omitting the opinion of the customer. The Tube’s customers want it to be 24 hour. It’s not the staff that imposes what they want, it’s the customers.  It’s clearly not only Boris.  This is a very disingenuous argument.

So, if it’s nothing to do with money and we’ve established that it’s not just Boris that wants it, I guess you can get back to work then and stop this striking nonsense?

This is the biggest straw man argument ever. The fact that you live hours from work and your willing to sacrifice sleep for other activities is actually your problem. I’m surprised that you’re admitting in a public forum that you may not be sufficiently rested to perform your job safely.

Pales into insignificance? are you having a laugh!!! I lost 5k today in company earnings due to people not wanting to do a job. Still had to pay my employees. As another poster said 2 sides Boris's propaganda and the Unions propaganda the truth is in the middle but neither said will accent that.

Who is going to give me the lost 5k? the unions or boris answer is neither so I think I am more hard done by than any bloody striking driver today

Ok, as an employer of staff, would you expect your staff to take it if you came in and TOLD them they were working nights for zero compensation f their family life and any enjoyment they may have outside of work? If you do, then your staff are clearly mugs and deserve all the s hit they get.

westcliff white

typical confrontational response.

As I read in the papers, not sure whose side they take that from, compensation is being offered and it is hardly like it is that many more nights. My employees though have contracts and it states in there if they get over time or if they do not, there fore if they have to work nights then they do so without complaint as they are obliged to do. not doing so or refusing to work is a breach of that contract and therefore disciplinary action.

Every day is a Fulham day