watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Train Strike

Started by Andy S, August 05, 2015, 07:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

Problem is BigbadBillyMcKinley that you strike so often over small things like pay that no one gives a monkeys when you have a legitimate reason. I refer to pay rises as a small matter because I think in comparison to other professions you get more than your fair share anyway and demanding more money is greedy.

Everyone strikes, buses OCCASIONALLY, teachers etc. Yet tube drivers easily strike more than anyone and they do it because they can. Had this been your first strike in 3 years then I think I would get the violin out but you are the boy who cried wolf and now no one is interested in what you are fighting for.

I wouldn't be happy with the demands you are being given, I am always swapping my weekends for Fulham and bus driving wouldn't be for me if it meant I couldn't see my kids. So in that respect I think you are right BUT just say you get your way and this strike works. Will it end there? No more strikes again? Or will it just prove once again that tube drivers always get their way and that you won't think twice about another for some other reason disregarding the impact it has on everyone else.

You can't apologise labelling this as one day that has affected people, there was two the other week and many more over the past few years. Without the passengers you wouldn't have a job and it is not cheap to travel in London.  We are both lucky getting all transport free with staff passes and an extra one which my mrs has. But many others aren't so lucky. So maybe a bit more consideration and respect has to go to the people who technically keep you in a job and that's the general public.  
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Jonaldiniho 88

This shouldn't be allowed to happen. If you don't like the job you are being asked to do get a different job.

Quote from: bobbo on August 06, 2015, 07:01:05 PM
Quote from: The Equalizer on August 06, 2015, 09:46:23 AM
As an IT contractor of 17 years, most of that based in the City of London, I've suffered greatly from Tube strikes over the years. Many times I've not been able to get to work because of strikes, meaning that I don't get paid. I'd say that the transport unions owe me personally something in the region of £10K in lost earnings due to strikes.

No sympathy from me. You don't like the job you change it.
Get a job where you don't have to travel into London no one forced to you to work there

No one forced the train drivers to work there either. Maybe they should get a job somewhere else where they are willing to do the job required.

It's ridiculous if Boris hasn't consulted the unions at all. Mainly in safety aspects. However my boss doesn't ask me when he changes things. If I don't like it I leave.

I don't know the details of this but is it not only on weekends? Also is there more pay for late shifts? I'm sure some drivers would be willing to do the work if it pays better. If not there is a massive waiting list of people wanting to be tube drivers. Just replace retirees and leavers with people willing to work nights.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the public is mainly in the dark about the details of this. Name calling by either side rather than revealing the details makes me think both parties have something they don't want us knowing.

BR

I'd fire all the people that didn't show up to drive a tube today and advertise the jobs. I'm sure there'd be plenty willing to accept the terms offered.

What the drivers are doing is economic terrorism. They're the economic Al Qaeda of the UK.

TheDaddy

My names Ian and i am a Station Supervisor .

I'm what your call a reserve supervisor and here is my story i basically do the poo shifts no one wants as i cover leave, sickness or just uncovered duties

my work life balance doesn't exist i have had the miss pleasure of working 7 weeks of nights in 9 week period when i complained i got a rather short swift reply nothing we can do business needs. I have had one weekend off this year most of my days off are mid week and i consider myself lucky if they manage to give me two days on the trot .I have also had to work three different duties in a week re start on early shifts onto lates and finally nights .The body clock is always out of kilter but what hurts most is knowing my two little girls are forever asking wheres daddy ? why is he asleep? now its my job and as some of you say if you don't like it leave well your right but after almost 30 years i think i can last a few more .

.So why am i striking because no way should a company just say Right as from now your doing nights get on with it without proper consultation. Lets get one thing straight the pay conditions that all the news media are bleating about was put on the table for a whole four hours and then withdrawn  by the company so in essence it wasn't really an offer sells papers and gives you the public a reason to dislike us .  

This night tube has been a nightmare from start to finish we now have less staff ,British Transport Police have already stated the don't have enough officers to be able to police it .No plans have been put in place on how to run it, what happens when an  incidents occurs  were all for night running but lets get everything in place before hand were fighting for your safety to people .Boris dropped this into the laps of our management who are in a panic the infrastructure  of a old tube network that has for years been neglected cant stand up to 24 hour running.
lets get the day running right first...

Just to add...

Right gentleman I'm on Billythebagers side on this one the last strike we had again wasn't about money it was about ticket offices being closed  and the lose of over 900 staff and the inept way its being done. The sums don't work its costing the tax payer you and i 135 million pound yes that's right 135 million this is the cost of new machines replacing staff so that works out as 28 years before London underground make the 5 million pound  savings they are aiming for by closing the  ticket offices, Hang on a minute what about the up keep and updates to these machines this wont be free so lets throw on another 2 year shall we 30 years before 5 million  is saved  .

"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

rweller86

First world problems. Let's just watch some football...
@rweller

west kowloon white

That a tube driver earns more than an Easyjet co pilot beggars belief.
Thought politics was a no go on here..?

Jonaldiniho 88

I'm a plumbing and heating and gas engineer. If all people in my trade withheld their work it would cause destruction and death. It won't happen just saying. I don't earn what tube drivers earn even with my job requiring more training and skill. I'm not badly paid so I'm not looking for sympathy. I think that jobs of importance need regulation so governing bodies can't push things through and workers can't strike. It seems in certain industries you can make massive changes that aren't viable and the workers can withhold work when they shouldn't. I think the controllers should have the power to improve systems without resistance but employees need to be a part of it. Drivers let me say one thing, when I get a call from someone as I rest my head after a 14 hour day I take my jimmy Jimmy's off and help them. Boris if the waiting list of potential is so long then employ workers who want in on these late shifts rather than forcing employees to change.

MJG

Quote from: TheDaddy on August 06, 2015, 10:24:33 PMMy names Ian and i am a Station Supervisor .

I'm what your call a reserve supervisor and here is my story i basically do the poo shifts no one wants as i cover leave, sickness or just uncovered duties

my work life balance doesn't exist i have had the miss pleasure of working 7 weeks of nights in 9 week period when i complained i got a rather short swift reply nothing we can do business needs. I have had one weekend off this year most of my days off are mid week and i consider myself lucky if they manage to give me two days on the trot .I have also had to work three different duties in a week re start on early shifts onto lates and finally nights .The body clock is always out of kilter but what hurts most is knowing my two little girls are forever asking wheres daddy ? why is he asleep? now its my job and as some of you say if you don't like it leave well your right but after almost 30 years i think i can last a few more .

.So why am i striking because no way should a company just say Right as from now your doing nights get on with it without proper consultation. Lets get one thing straight the pay conditions that all the news media are bleating about was put on the table for a whole four hours and then withdrawn  by the company so in essence it wasn't really an offer sells papers and gives you the public a reason to dislike us .  

This night tube has been a nightmare from start to finish we now have less staff ,British Transport Police have already stated the don't have enough officers to be able to police it .No plans have been put in place on how to run it, what happens when an  incidents occurs  were all for night running but lets get everything in place before hand were fighting for your safety to people .Boris dropped this into the laps of our management who are in a panic the infrastructure  of a old tube network that has for years been neglected cant stand up to 24 hour running.

Just to add...

Right gentleman I'm on Billythebagers side on this one the last strike we had again wasn't about money it was about ticket offices being closed  and the lose of over 900 staff and the inept way its being done. The sums don't work its costing the tax payer you and i 135 million pound yes that's right 135 million this is the cost of new machines replacing staff so that works out as 28 years before London underground make the 5 million pound  savings they are aiming for by closing the  ticket offices, Hang on a minute what about the up keep and updates to these machines this wont be free so lets throw on another 2 year shall we 30 years before 5 million  is saved  .
I do have a lot of sympathy really I do, but your last paragraph about having nothing to do with money.. Well why does it seem that every settlement the RMT go for involves more money? It always looks like no matter what the strike is about the result wanted is another wack on the wages.
I went on strike numerous times for the post office when we were trying to save the main post offices from closing. That was about jobs and service, but never were we looking for more pay in relation to that.

Sent from my Lenovo A5500-F using Tapatalk

Peabody

Here we go again, let's blame the Tube Workers, who, as I have said previously, were cast as heroes during the 7/7 commemorations. Now, you all jump on the bandwagon of let's blame them for exercising their rights to go on strike.

west kowloon white

....and RMT are a blatantly political union.
Having worked all hours of the day / night for 45 years have about as much sympathy as I do with GP's working weekends.Can we go back to Dunk.

westcliff white

I get your point granddad, but strikes can put small businesses put of work, Unions do not see this side of things where as the small business have to look at the whole picture. If it isn't about money why ask for more than they have been offered already in way of compensation? if it is about solely the night time service why not strike after that has come in and just during the hours that the service would be running rather than affecting everyone else?

For me the are basically blackmailing everyone to side with them against TFL, and from my side that wont work, this is a football forum and I will not express my explicit political views on here.
Every day is a Fulham day

Peabody

Quote from: westcliff white on August 07, 2015, 08:54:39 AM
I get your point granddad, but strikes can put small businesses put of work, Unions do not see this side of things where as the small business have to look at the whole picture. If it isn't about money why ask for more than they have been offered already in way of compensation? if it is about solely the night time service why not strike after that has come in and just during the hours that the service would be running rather than affecting everyone else?

For me the are basically blackmailing everyone to side with them against TFL, and from my side that wont work, this is a football forum and I will not express my explicit political views on here.

So, you class TFL as whiter than white, is that right?

Peabody

For those of you who think The Unions are children of Satan, where do you think your working conditions would be without them? Let's get back to sending our kids up chimneys, shall we?

westcliff white

Quote from: Peabody on August 07, 2015, 09:37:41 AM
Quote from: westcliff white on August 07, 2015, 08:54:39 AM

So, you class TFL as whiter than white, is that right?
Read my earlier post where I said the truth is somewhere in the middle. However I do not agree with strikes as the effect it has on the innocent can be terrible, there are no excuses for it.

Craven Mad

I don't think anyone has a problem with effective unionisation, but many feel - myself included - that the current union actions have exploited a position of power, holding London to ransom, knowing that they can strike when they want something [however insignificant].

I keep hearing that the staff's issue has nothing to do with money: they "just want to be told". If that's true, now they have been told so why are they still striking? Either accept it or quit! Truth is that they're waiting for yet another payrise.

Andy S

Quote from: TheDaddy on August 06, 2015, 10:24:33 PM
My names Ian and i am a Station Supervisor .

.So why am i striking because no way should a company just say Right as from now your doing nights get on with it without proper consultation. Lets get one thing straight the pay conditions that all the news media are bleating about was put on the table for a whole four hours and then withdrawn  by the company so in essence it wasn't really an offer sells papers and gives you the public a reason to dislike us .   

This night tube has been a nightmare from start to finish we now have less staff ,British Transport Police have already stated the don't have enough officers to be able to police it .No plans have been put in place on how to run it, what happens when an  incidents occurs  were all for night running but lets get everything in place before hand were fighting for your safety to people .Boris dropped this into the laps of our management who are in a panic the infrastructure  of a old tube network that has for years been neglected cant stand up to 24 hour running.

Just to add...

Right gentleman I'm on Billythebagers side on this one the last strike we had again wasn't about money it was about ticket offices being closed  and the lose of over 900 staff and the inept way its being done. The sums don't work its costing the tax payer you and i 135 million pound yes that's right 135 million this is the cost of new machines replacing staff so that works out as 28 years before London underground make the 5 million pound  savings they are aiming for by closing the  ticket offices, Hang on a minute what about the up keep and updates to these machines this wont be free so lets throw on another 2 year shall we 30 years before 5 million  is saved  .

Lets be honest here in 30 years time those machine will have been replaced twice at least. However I believe that for a business it is tax deductible so in effect costs the company nothing. Unlike people working in a ticket office

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

And I work for a popular (or not so popular) train company in London
We have been, and will be on strike again,trying to protect customer safety and jobs(the 2 are linked).
All the people on here saying go and get another job,your all greedy,ect and then complain that strikes ruin they day-you can a) man the hell up,b)try and understand the bigger picture,c) come and work on the tube or the trains and then tell me it's easy.

The safety issues of moving a large group of people -from point a)to point b) are massive
The train company's are owned by private company that are squeezing everything(safety,staffing levels)for massive profits that are going straight into their pockets.These new fancy trains that we are getting down South are being paid for by the tax payers NOT the train companies.Somebody has to stand up and try and make things safe-that'll be me then.
Boris is trying to bully the tube workers (all of them,not just the drivers) by forcing them to accept new terms and conditions of working with out consultation making the tube less safe(moving from night shift to day shift without the correct rest between shifts,really? Would you drive your kids about knowing you where massively tired?)
Yes you will have to find another way to get to work for a few days
But we are trying to make sure you can get to work in the future-safely and forever
Isn't that worth fighting for?

Peabody

Well said Syd. That's what unions are about isn't it? Protecting their members interests. Bit like our rulers really, protecting the vested interest of their supporters.

Berserker

I belong to PCS and I went on strike for the day of action last year. This covered GMB, Unite and other unions. We came out in solidarity for the nurses,  hospital workers etc. I don't really think my action affected anybody at my work although my boss wasn't best pleased, but I was amazed how many people wouldn't cross our peaceful picket line, even lorry drivers.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

westcliff white

Quote from: Peabody on August 07, 2015, 12:12:35 PM
Well said Syd. That's what unions are about isn't it? Protecting their members interests. Bit like our rulers really, protecting the vested interest of their supporters.
spot on protecting their interests and not those poor innocents who cant get to work or small businesses losing money when they struggle when there is no strike.