News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tube Strike - from a visitor's point of view...

Started by Vienna1, August 11, 2015, 06:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vienna1

I sincerely hope there won't be any strike end of October when I will be in London. I will be staying near Euston Station. How do I make my way to Putney Bridge station if no tube is operating?

London is the most visited city from abroad.

"London is a world cultural capital. It is the world's most-visited city as measured by international arrivals"

unquote

Fair to hope the London Transport Union ASLEF (?) takes into account the many foreign tourists who spend their money in London and contribute to the London economy (respectively who buy underground tickets and contribute the London Transport economy)?

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Easy;
73 Bus to University College Hospital and then th 14 bus directly to Putney Bridge.

Should take about an hour! *

*NB: It's the RMT that have called the strike this time, not my union ASLEF........thus far!

Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Ron Sheepskin

For clarity Billy: Is about an hour normal journey time, or strike day journey time?

Should there be industrial action then, it would be unfortunate if Vienna1 missed kick off.
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

H4usuallysitting

End of October..... The 31st is the Rugby World Cup Final, down the road in Twickenham, so if there is a tube strike that day - let chaos commence

gang

Vienna1

Fair to say 1 hour is quite long. Would be shorter by tube. But thanks a lot for the bus advice. I will arrive in London the day before and start out towards The Cottage from Euston in the morning, so will probably be there on time... Even though kick off will be at 13.30.
:wine:

The Rugby Word Cup final is an interesting detail. I don't think there will be a strike on that particular day.

fulhamben

Quote from: Vienna1 on August 11, 2015, 07:44:42 PM
Fair to say 1 hour is quite long. Would be shorter by tube. But thanks a lot for the bus advice. I will arrive in London the day before and start out towards The Cottage from Euston in the morning, so will probably be there on time... Even though kick off will be at 13.30.

The Rugby Word Cup final is an interesting detail. I don't think there will be a strike on that particular day.
also, you could get an over ground train to Brentford or ealing and I'll take you myself
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Vienna1

Quote from: fulhamben on August 11, 2015, 07:49:34 PM

also, you could get an over ground train to Brentford or ealing and I'll take you myself

Thanks mate. Will be in touch! A pint would be on me. Great hospitality that is!! Credit to Fulham FC!

082.gif

fulhamben

Quote from: Vienna1 on August 11, 2015, 07:52:59 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on August 11, 2015, 07:49:34 PM

Thanks mate. Will be in touch! A pint would be on me. Great hospitality that is!! Credit to Fulham FC!

082.gif

no probs

Andy S

You wouldn't have to take the 220 to Putney as it goes along Fulham Palace Road. in fact it is a very pleasant walk from Hammersmith

Vienna1

Quote from: Andy S on August 11, 2015, 08:29:15 PM
You wouldn't have to take the 220 to Putney as it goes along Fulham Palace Road. in fact it is a very pleasant walk from Hammersmith
thanks, I will check on Google earth
:54:

fulhamben

Quote from: Vienna1 on August 11, 2015, 08:40:47 PM
Quote from: Andy S on August 11, 2015, 08:29:15 PM
thanks, I will check on Google earth
:54:
there's a nice little pub crawl doing it that way too. Either way don't worry as we won't leave you stranded

Vienna1

I think I will leave the Euston Station area around 9.30am. I usually am early everywhere. Airports, etc.

So I will make myself familiar with the Cottage are. I read its great walking through Bishops Park. Anyway, I will get there somehow eventually. Will post here around beginning of October.

That will be the Reading game.

Logicalman

Vienna, good idea mate, post closer to the time and see if you can meet up with someone and make your way that way, lot less hassle.

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

The Doctor

If the weather's decent, walk from Euston to Waterloo (35 - 40 mins at a brisk trot).  Then a train from Waterloo to Putney.

You'll be surprised how easy it is to walk around London and you'll see a lot of the sights on that walk.

That said, the current dispute is about the 24 hr service they're trying to introduce in Sept.  This dispute will most likely be resolved by the end of Oct.  There might be other disputes but wouldn't have thought so soon

Vienna1

Thanks all for your concern. I have the feeling one cannot get stranded in London, especially when approaching Craven Cottage!

Martin
077.gif

PS: I know central London fairly well from walking around. I am usually a bad tourist, I don't watch sights so much. I just walk around and watch buildings and how people live (and play football). 

west kowloon white

99.9% of nation have no sympathy with these people.Hope you enjoy the match.

Jonaldiniho 88

In fairness the right to strike doesn't affect tourists like it does nationals. The longer it takes to get from a to b as a traveller the better. I've done a fair stint of backpacking and the journey makes the trip. In my travels the harder to get between places makes the best journey. It's people who rely on a service that end up worse off. I loved a disruption while travelling as I would see things that other people wouldn't have. Get here in time and look up. London hasn't changed in a century apart from road level. Look up, drink up and enjoy the journey.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: west kowloon white on August 11, 2015, 11:13:36 PM

You'd be very surprised actually.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

rweller86

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on August 12, 2015, 07:29:12 AM
Quote from: west kowloon white on August 11, 2015, 11:13:36 PM

You'd be very surprised actually.
Probably about 99.8% - no need to be precise though
@rweller