watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tim Ream agrees Fulham move

Started by Friendsoffulham, August 17, 2015, 11:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

Bolton defender Tim Ream is set to join Fulham on a four-year deal after choosing a move to Craven Cottage over Queens Park Rangers, HITC Sport understands from sources close to the club.

Queens Park Rangers had looked favourites to land Ream after agreeing a £1.4 million fee with Bolton for the American international.

Ream held talks with QPR officials, but Fulham moved quickly to match QPR's offer as they looked to win the race for the centre-back's signature.

The 27-year-old is understood to have agreed terms and passed a medical at Fulham over the weekend after opting to join Kit Symons' side ahead of QPR.

SEE ALSO: Fulham agree fee for 13-capped international

Symons has been looking to bolster his central defensive options all summer as he looks to improve on last season's disappointing campaign in the Championship and he sees Ream as a key addition to his plans.

Bolton have been resigned to losing Ream due to their financial situation and the money from Ream's sale will allow boss Neil Lennon to bolster his squad elsewhere.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/tim-ream-of-bolton-in-action-during-the-sky-bet-news-photo/466211104?et=rdaktnedQnRdm4_RZVDQaA&referrer=http%3a%2f%2fwww.hitc.com%2fen-gb%2f2015%2f08%2f17%2ftim-ream-agrees-fulham-move%2f

Fulham1959

One Martin Thomas

Is he any good ?  Bolton don't strike as having a great defence.

Wearethewhites

Quote from: One Martin Thomas on August 17, 2015, 04:16:44 PM

Haven't a clue, but you can bet your bottom dollar that he's the "Look what you could have won" option to Lewis Dunk.

NewYorkYank

Ream played for the New York Red Bulls for about a season and a half before signing with Bolton, so I saw him numerous times.  My recollection is that he is not overly physical, but is smart, calm, and assured in defense.  His strength is his distribution which, after watching the Brighton game, is something Fulham desperately needs.  While with the Red Bulls, he was called up to the US national team, but had a rough start, and fell completely off Klinsman's radar.  He has worked his way back onto the team, and made some appearances over the summer, although I am not sure how highly Klinsman rates him.  Of course, I am not sure how highly Klinsman rates any of his defenders.  Ream also can play at left full.

I think he is a great pickup. I hope this means our center backs are not just going to continue to lump long balls up to Matt Smith.  As an American and New Yorker, I may be biased, but the Bolton fans have voted him the team's player of the year two years running, so I am not completely off base.

FFCAli

Quote from: NewYorkYank on August 17, 2015, 04:46:18 PM
Ream played for the New York Red Bulls for about a season and a half before signing with Bolton, so I saw him numerous times.  My recollection is that he is not overly physical, but is smart, calm, and assured in defense.  His strength is his distribution which, after watching the Brighton game, is something Fulham desperately needs.  While with the Red Bulls, he was called up to the US national team, but had a rough start, and fell completely off Klinsman's radar.  He has worked his way back onto the team, and made some appearances over the summer, although I am not sure how highly Klinsman rates him.  Of course, I am not sure how highly Klinsman rates any of his defenders.  Ream also can play at left full.

I think he is a great pickup. I hope this means our center backs are not just going to continue to lump long balls up to Matt Smith.  As an American and New Yorker, I may be biased, but the Bolton fans have voted him the team's player of the year two years running, so I am not completely off base.

That sounds promising.  How quick is he?

NewYorkYank

On further reflection, some brainpower is something Fulham's defense could use as well.

Northern Cottager

Quote from: NewYorkYank on August 17, 2015, 04:48:22 PM
On further reflection, some brainpower is something Fulham's defense could use as well.

If he needs to bulk up maybe he can spend some time at McDonalds with McCormack!

BarryP

Quote from: One Martin Thomas on August 17, 2015, 04:16:44 PM

He was Bolton's player of the year twice and their defense allowed around 15 fewer goals than Fulham's last season. He would more favorably compare to Hughes than Hangeland and before anyone bursts a blood vessel that simply means he reads the game and fills the gaps rather than towering over it and overpowering the opposition.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Wimbledon_White

Twice their Player of the Year; can't be any worse than what we've got in Bodurov, Burn and Hutchinson.

That said, that idiotic tackle aside, Hutchinson is starting to grow on me.

N_O_W_S

He's just over six foot tall, not quick but not slow. Decent in the air. I saw him a couple of times at Bolton over the last season or so. He's better than what we have but not a huge improvement. Still think he is a good signing.

NewYorkYank

Quote from: FFCAli on August 17, 2015, 04:47:36 PM
Quote from: NewYorkYank on August 17, 2015, 04:46:18 PM

That sounds promising.  How quick is he?

My recollection is that, while his quickness does not stand out, it is more than adequate.  As a general matter, the MLS is an athletic league, as Americans compensate for for lesser skills with speed and work rate (although the skill level is not as bad as many on this board probably think).  The problem for US defenders coming to England tends to be the physicality rather than the pace.  I agree with Barry P, he is of the Aaron Hughes mold.

RaySmith

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on August 17, 2015, 05:10:43 PM
Twice their Player of the Year; can't be any worse than what we've got in Bodurov, Burn and Hutchinson.

I don't think Hutch should be condemned for one mistake, which I don't think was that bad on watching highlights, when he has played so well this season, including the Brighton game for most of it.

But Ream seems a very good signing - calm under pressure, and solid.

Wearethewhites

Quote from: RaySmith on August 17, 2015, 05:16:19 PM
Quote from: Wimbledon_White on August 17, 2015, 05:10:43 PM

I don't think Hutch should be condemned for one mistake, which I don't think was that bad on watching highlights, when he has played so well this season, including the Brighton game for most of it.

But Ream seems a very good signing - calm under pressure, and solid.

I'm sorry, but as good as Hutchinson has been, he's a liability waiting to happen, and something that will be forever consistent with his game. Nice lad I'm sure, but if you're 'supposedly' pushing for a top 6 place, the lad is way out of his depth and a mistake away from costing you the game. Wouldn't be to sorry to see him replaced.

hovewhite

hutch is the best out of bodurov and burn that doesn't make him brilliant,but maybe alongside a decent c.b think he would be better.

fulhamben

Quote from: hovewhite on August 17, 2015, 06:02:51 PM
hutch is the best out of bodurov and burn that doesn't make him brilliant,but maybe alongside a decent c.b think he would be better.
He might be our best, but I don't think any of our defenders are good enough for promotion
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

davew

Before we slag him off, let's at least give him 1 game to see what he is made of!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Wimbledon_White

Quote from: fulhamben on August 17, 2015, 06:16:40 PM
He might be our best, but I don't think any of our defenders are good enough for promotion

Top Six?

That's realistic this season I think.

fulhamben

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on August 17, 2015, 06:18:25 PM

Top Six?

still don't think they are good enough for that. Can't see how Ream alone will change our fortunes
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on August 17, 2015, 06:18:25 PM

Top Six?

It's certainly a reasonable expectation. It does not matter who we've signed or who we've sold. We've been told multiple times and in multiple ways that promotion was the aim. Therefor, Top 6 should be the minimum expectation.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude