watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Gay players.

Started by BigbadBillyMcKinley, October 31, 2015, 10:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigbadBillyMcKinley

So, according to the Red Tops, an England international and a second player are preparing to come out as gay. In all honesty, is there as much of a stigma attached as some make it?
Personally I couldn't care less, and I hope they do. They'll get a lot more respect than I think they'd expect.

Thoughts?
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Peabody

None of our business, it's what they do on the pitch that matters

Tonywa

Couldn't give a toss. If a player is gay what earthly difference does that make to his ability as a footballer which should be people's main interest?  Might make a change from the usual band of wife-beaters, gamblers and drunks.

Fulham76

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on October 31, 2015, 10:33:27 AM
So, according to the Red Tops, an England international and a second player are preparing to come out as gay. In all honesty, is there as much of a stigma attached as some make it?
Personally I couldn't care less, and I hope they do. They'll get a lot more respect than I think they'd expect.

Thoughts?

No one should have to come out as anything these days. Just live your life the way that comes naturally.

aaronmcguigan

Does anyone care about whether any of our players have girlfriends or wives? nope, wouldnt make a difference if they had boyfriends or husbands

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Wonder what supporters of our closest rivals would say? Lets be honest, they're less educated an open minded as us.

Having said that, I have an inkling it might be Gary Cahill. Not sure why, just a hunch!

valdeingruo

I think it will be mixed.

Robbie Rogers, formerly of Columbus and now of LA Galaxy came out and is doing well. (He even played for Leeds) He has gone from Left Midfield to Left Back and made that position his own.

I think it would become a thing if a player were to start performing badly or the opposition support used it.

That being said I don't think it would be an issue at Fulham, other clubs yes, but not here.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Twig

:plus one:
Quote from: Fulham76 on October 31, 2015, 10:46:46 AM
Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on October 31, 2015, 10:33:27 AM

Thoughts?

No one should have to come out as anything these days. Just live your life the way that comes naturally.

:plus one:

glenhodgso

Quote from: Tonywa on October 31, 2015, 10:46:44 AM
Couldn't give a toss. If a player is gay what earthly difference does that make to his ability as a footballer which should be people's main interest?  Might make a change from the usual band of wife-beaters, gamblers and drunks.

0001.jpeg

actually - this shouldn't even be a story

Blanco

I´d keep it quite. Can you imagine the stick the player would get at games. That said, players get insulted all the time at games so would references to him being a homo make a difference? In terms of his playing career I couldn´t see how it would affect him. Teams would still sign the player regardless. It´s just the fans that would be the issue. But again, why should he give a damn.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: Blanco on October 31, 2015, 12:19:43 PM
I´d keep it quite. Can you imagine the stick the player would get at games. That said, players get insulted all the time at games so would references to him being a homo make a difference? In terms of his playing career I couldn´t see how it would affect him. Teams would still sign the player regardless. It´s just the fans that would be the issue. But again, why should he give a damn.
Why should anyone have to keep it quiet  through fear of getting the mickey taken?
But also, I reckon they'd get less abuse being gay than they would being black.

Blanco

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on October 31, 2015, 12:27:10 PM
Quote from: Blanco on October 31, 2015, 12:19:43 PM
Why should anyone have to keep it quiet  through fear of getting the mickey taken?
But also, I reckon they'd get less abuse being gay than they would being black.

I said towards the end of my comment that why should they care. I think they´d more abuse being gay than black. There has been a huge crackdown on racism and it rarely happens in England now. Atleast we are led to believe. Homophobia is still very much a reality in football. Not that I go to many games in England. It´s a different story here in Spain.

Blanco

There is actually a bookmakers offering odds on who it will be! Not sure which one though.

Max Headroom

Of course it's a big story as they would be the first, but the story is that it will happen. As soon as it has happened then it will hopefully become a non story.

No one cares these days in the UK. Elsewhere it is a different story but thankfully the UK is an enlightened society

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Firstly I'm not a homophobe as long as it's not constantly down my throat by activists with longer term global objectives.
I also realize that this thread is to do with football players 'coming out' but that in itself will create huge problems as they are celebrities and things rub off on other people and it has been proven that 'gender identity crisis' is not or not necessarily genetic
It's very easy to be politically correct now about things like this and racism etc when many of us for years
have been anti-gay or racist.
There is a much bigger overall picture, whether they are footballers or any other professionals they are finding out over here, these are the things that concern me, not a few 'out' gay footballers.
eg: It is now law in some places (eg Houston, Texas - although they're trying to repeal it) for a person (with the emphasis on the LGBT community) to go into any toilet they feel like dependent on what sex they think they are at any given time)
Even in schools, a male teacher could just wander into the girls restrooms or changing rooms if he identifies with beinga girl at that particular time

In the military now, an elite marine corps could have a transgender in their platoon.

Possibly hypothetical but perhaps topical, imagine if you took your daughter to Motspur Park to watch a training session and a gay footballer followed your daughter into the rest room because he identified with being a girl at that time.

No doubt I'll get hammered on this post unless it attracts  few non-PC viewers.

Before you know it we'll have players wearing the "Rocky Horror kit' under their footie kit.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Max Headroom on October 31, 2015, 12:38:12 PM
Of course it's a big story as they would be the first, but the story is that it will happen. As soon as it has happened then it will hopefully become a non story.

No one cares these days in the UK. Elsewhere it is a different story but thankfully the UK is an enlightened society

I thought John or Justin Fashanu was the first
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Blanco

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on October 31, 2015, 12:47:41 PM
Firstly I'm not a homophobe as long as it's not constantly down my throat by activists with longer term global objectives.
I also realize that this thread is to do with football players 'coming out' but that in itself will create huge problems as they are celebrities and things rub off on other people and it has been proven that 'gender identity crisis' is not or not necessarily genetic
It's very easy to be politically correct now about things like this and racism etc when many of us for years
There is a much bigger overall picture, whether they are footballers or any other professionals they are finding out over here, these are the things that concern me, not a few 'out' gay footballers.
eg: It is now law in some places (eg Houston, Texas - although they're trying to repeal it) for a person (with the emphasis on the LGBT community) to go into any toilet they feel like dependent on what sex they think they are at any given time)
Even in schools, a male teacher could just wander into the girls restrooms or changing rooms if he identifies with beinga girl at that particular time

In the military now, an elite marine corps could have a transgender in their platoon.

Possibly hypothetical but perhaps topical, imagine if you took your daughter to Motspur Park to watch a training session and a gay footballer followed your daughter into the rest room because he identified with being a girl at that time.

No doubt I'll get hammered on this post unless it attracts  few non-PC viewers.

Before you know it we'll have players wearing the "Rocky Horror kit' under their footie kit.

Incredible law to have. Utterly ridiculous! You make good points.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on October 31, 2015, 12:48:27 PM

Justin. But that was a different day and age and John has admitted to offering £75,000 to "spare his family embarrassment" and he ended up committing suicide.
So i think his sad demise has prevented other following suit. Thomas Hizlesperger came out after he retired didn't he?
But it's a near impossibility, that with the sheer amount of players, that there aren't several who are gay!

fulhamben

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on October 31, 2015, 01:37:16 PM
Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on October 31, 2015, 12:48:27 PM

Justin. But that was a different day and age and John has admitted to offering £75,000 to "spare his family embarrassment" and he ended up committing suicide.
So i think his sad demise has prevented other following suit. Thomas Hizlesperger came out after he retired didn't he?
But it's a near impossibility, that with the sheer amount of players, that there aren't several who are gay!
Didn't Taylor at pompey come out? And robbie fowler outed Le saux for him
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

DJinNJ

Quote from: Blanco on October 31, 2015, 12:56:22 PM
Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on October 31, 2015, 12:47:41 PM

No doubt I'll get hammered on this post unless it attracts  few non-PC viewers.

Incredible law to have. Utterly ridiculous! You make good points.

The Houston law allows transgender people to use the restroom of the gender they identify as, and have transitioned to. Otherwise you have people who look male being forced to go into a female restroom and vice versa. You can't just go in whatever bathroom you feel like, and I doubt there is any such ridiculous law anywhere else in the country. Phrasing it as going into whatever restroom you feel like is a scare tactic from anti-LGBT groups.