https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Roy plans a snatch on Konchesky

Started by tingtawng, July 31, 2010, 01:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

Liverpool FC manager Roy Hodgson eyes move for Fulham's Paul Konchesky
Jul 31 2010 by Dominic King, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL are weighing up a £2.5million swoop for Fulham left-back Paul Konchesky.

Reds boss Roy Hodgson has been anxious to bring in experienced cover in that position since Fabio Aurelio's release and the impending sale of Emiliano Insua to Fiorentina.

Hodgson has explored a number of options, most notably Maynor Figueroa, Wigan Athletic's Honduran international.

However, the pursuit of Figueroa has been complicated by a number of factors – notably the fee it would take to prise him away from the DW Stadium – and the fact that Liverpool's quota of homegrown players is low.

Former England international Konchesky, 29, who scored for West Ham against the Reds in the 2006 FA Cup final, played under Hodgson at Craven Cottage and if Liverpool are able to thrash out a deal, the fee could eventually rise to £5million.

beijing ben

RidgeRider

problem is while 5M sounds nice, how do we replace him? Remember what happened when he went down last season? It became very obvious what his impact was on our attack. I say:

"HANDS OFF!"

beijing ben

Quote from: RidgeRider on July 31, 2010, 02:35:35 PM
problem is while 5M sounds nice, how do we replace him? Remember what happened when he went down last season? It became very obvious what his impact was on our attack. I say:

"HANDS OFF!"

Shorey

leonffc

Quote from: beijing ben on July 31, 2010, 02:45:37 PM

"HANDS OFF!"

Shorey

Exactly!! Snatch their hands off MAF. Konch has cost us a fair few goals and isnt a spring chicken.

Burt

I actually rate Konch quite highly. Sure there are a few moments when he has been skinned but for the most part he has been solid, and has been a threat coming forward too.

beijing ben

Quote from: Burt on July 31, 2010, 03:27:39 PM
I actually rate Konch quite highly. Sure there are a few moments when he has been skinned but for the most part he has been solid, and has been a threat coming forward too.

I think Konchesky is good but Shorey is at least his equal. They are both good quality left backs. If we could get Shorey for 2.5m and get 5m for Konchesky that is a great deal. However, i always felt that Roy was always looking to replace Konchesky. I'd be really surprised if he went for him. I think if Liverpool want a homegrown left back then they are more likely to go for Bridge

ImperialWhite

Quote from: leonffc on July 31, 2010, 03:12:41 PM

"HANDS OFF!"

Shorey

Exactly!! Snatch their hands off MAF. Konch has cost us a fair few goals and isnt a spring chicken.

I agree that he is getting on a bit, so it might be worth selling him for that reason, but I definitely disagree that he costs us too many goals. He's an excellent fullback, and like other attacking fullbacks occasionaly gets caught out of position (but Hughes/Hangeland are good at covering). However, he easily (IMO!) makes up for this with his strength going forwards. In our Europa qualifying season he created a crazy number of chances/assists (more than Ca$hley, for instance).

(speaking as a big fan of ol'-alien head)

leonffc

Quote from: ImperialWhite on July 31, 2010, 04:10:22 PM
Quote from: leonffc on July 31, 2010, 03:12:41 PM

"HANDS OFF!"

Shorey

I agree that he is getting on a bit, so it might be worth selling him for that reason, but I definitely disagree that he costs us too many goals. He's an excellent fullback, and like other attacking fullbacks occasionaly gets caught out of position (but Hughes/Hangeland are good at covering). However, he easily (IMO!) makes up for this with his strength going forwards. In our Europa qualifying season he created a crazy number of chances/assists (more than Ca$hley, for instance).

(speaking as a big fan of ol'-alien head)

Its his distribution that is alarming and that is what has cost us many times. And for an 'attacking fullback' he doesnt get nearly enough crosses in, prefering to stop and pass back to hangerland rather attack the space (which there is usaully alot of as we play very narrow). I'm not anti Konch but there are better about and Shorey looks better on the ball imo

Mr Fulham

"HANDS OFF!"

Shorey

Or Bridge.

Plus Luke Young as an option for both fullback positions.

Fulham_Adam

Quote from: Mr Fulham on July 31, 2010, 05:46:30 PM

"HANDS OFF!"

Shorey

Or Bridge.

Would hate to see that bottler Bridge play for us. I'd like to keep Konchesksy, we want to keep as many of our settled back 5 as possibl;e.
The past is told by those who win.

bazzamcb

Quote from: Fulham_Adam on July 31, 2010, 06:27:07 PM
Quote from: Mr Fulham on July 31, 2010, 05:46:30 PM

"HANDS OFF!"

Shorey

Or Bridge.

Would hate to see that bottler Bridge play for us. I'd like to keep Konchesksy, we want to keep as many of our settled back 5 as possibl;e.

do you not remember how good bridge was for fulham a few years back??

RidgeRider

a fair number of you forget how woeful our attack was when Konch went down. Shorey couldn't carry Konch's jock strap and is not a long term solution to a back four without Konch in it. Shorey had a couple of nice games and that was it, if he was so good we would have picked him up.

Why do you think Hodgson wants Konch? Because he sucks?  :dft011:

beijing ben

Quote from: RidgeRider on July 31, 2010, 08:13:01 PM
a fair number of you forget how woeful our attack was when Konch went down. Shorey couldn't carry Konch's jock strap and is not a long term solution to a back four without Konch in it. Shorey had a couple of nice games and that was it, if he was so good we would have picked him up.

Not sure if Hodgson does actually want him. It's an easy story for the papers with Insua about to leave. Hodgson always seemed to be looking to replace Konchesky. Konchesky seemed to be looking for a move while Roy was here. Really not sure if they get on. I think Konchesky will leave though and Shorey would be a decent replacement

leonffc

Quote from: RidgeRider on July 31, 2010, 08:13:01 PM

Who was it that bought Stoor and Andranik?   :dft011:

Dragoman

Well, I now hear that Aurelio has just returned with a two year contract so I would think that that puts pay to any deal with Konch.