https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Next Manager Discussion Thread

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, November 07, 2015, 04:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: westcliff white on November 09, 2015, 08:04:50 AM
Quote from: Bronaldinho on November 09, 2015, 07:02:38 AM
Pearson, Moyes, Bob Bradley, Di Matteo, Gary Rowett.

Any of those would be great, but would be quite ambitious I reckon.
Di Matteo not for me, Bradley like wise his record since leaving the US team is extremely poor, and Pearson I just don't like his attitude towards fans. I would rather have Wilkins in charge than Pearson or maybe go after Phil Brown.

Rowett would be good, but sadly don't see him leaving Birmingham at all.

Being serious about a new coach then for me maybe Lambert or Hoddle, even Martin O'Neil, it seems he maybe available after the play off games coming up. As a long shot or two (and I am not sure we need that after the last 18/24 months or so) then maybe JFH from Burton or Laudrup from which ever arab club he coaches.

Really? Which part of his record is "extremely poor"? I've followed his career fairly closely since he left the US team and don't recall ever reading anything from anyone that came close to that characterization which makes me think your just pulling that opinion out of thin air.

I understand if you just don't like the idea of the guy managing Fulham. Fine. But, I truly believe you've not paid any attention to him and just made up the career description to support your opinion on his "candidacy".
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

westcliff white

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on November 09, 2015, 01:45:14 PM

Di Matteo not for me, Bradley like wise his record since leaving the US team is extremely poor, and Pearson I just don't like his attitude towards fans. I would rather have Wilkins in charge than Pearson or maybe go after Phil Brown.

Being serious about a new coach then for me maybe Lambert or Hoddle, even Martin O'Neil, it seems he maybe available after the play off games coming up. As a long shot or two (and I am not sure we need that after the last 18/24 months or so) then maybe JFH from Burton or Laudrup from which ever arab club he coaches.

Really? Which part of his record is "extremely poor"? I've followed his career fairly closely since he left the US team and don't recall ever reading anything from anyone that came close to that characterization which makes me think your just pulling that opinion out of thin air.
Nope his record for Egypt was poor, being honest I didnt know he had been there till I read it this morning, but knew he was at Stabaek, working for a Scandinavian country we get updates from clubs we have links with, and he isnt that popular there and his record isnt that of legends.

I don't pull things out of thin air as I am not a magician, just relay what I read and give my opinion. For me he would be a disaster, never managed in a top league and I fear it would be the sameimpact as that we had with Kit. If he got the job then I would back him and hope that he proves me wrong, I have no issue with eating my words, as I did about players we have signed in the past, most Notably McBride. Never saw him as an ideal replacement for Saha, but he proved me wrong with how good he was.
Every day is a Fulham day

ToodlesMcToot

Am I alone in finding zero inspiration from the words "ex-Villa manager"? If the stated goal of promotion is still true, why hire a manager to get us promoted when we know he was fired because he had trouble keeping a bigger club out of the PL relegation fray?

westcliff white

Agree Toodles, Lambert is the best of that bunch being mentioned such as Pearson, Sherwood etc but they are uninspring. Seems we are only looking for an out of work manager

MJG

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on November 09, 2015, 01:53:30 PM
Am I alone in finding zero inspiration from the words "ex-Villa manager"? If the stated goal of promotion is still true, why hire a manager to get us promoted when we know he was fired because he had trouble keeping a bigger club out of the PL relegation fray?
It's not as black and white as that things it?
Almost every manager has a failure on their CV,  he didn't get them relegated and worked under tight budget.
I think when looking at every possible manager and their failures you need to look at what was going on in the background.
It's like Rosler,  is it fair to take the Leeds sacking into account given the nutter in charge?

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: westcliff white on November 09, 2015, 01:49:53 PM

Nope his record for Egypt was poor, being honest I didnt know he had been there till I read it this morning, but knew he was at Stabaek, working for a Scandinavian country we get updates from clubs we have links with, and he isnt that popular there and his record isnt that of legends.

I don't pull things out of thin air as I am not a magician, just relay what I read and give my opinion. For me he would be a disaster, never managed in a top league and I fear it would be the sameimpact as that we had with Kit. If he got the job then I would back him and hope that he proves me wrong, I have no issue with eating my words, as I did about players we have signed in the past, most Notably McBride. Never saw him as an ideal replacement for Saha, but he proved me wrong with how good he was.

You do realize that the majority of his Egyptian players weren't playing professionally from 2012 thru to their elimination, right? I think he did a fantastic job keeping them even slightly competitive considering the turmoil within the country during that time. Add in the fact that the country didn't have a functioning professional league from 2012 forward during the qualifying cycle and I come to a completely opposite opinion from yours. Heck rioters even burned down the FA headquarters during this time.

cmg

I have no idea whether or not Bob Bradley would make a decent manager of this , or any other, club.

However his PWDL record in his previous two places of employment is:

Stabaek -  71  37  11  23
Egypt    -   37  23   6    8

Hoppus

I agree with you!

I hope it's in the job posting that you must have done a lousy job at Villa (Lambert - Sherwood). I want someone with a clear and distinct style of play, which also has the ability to motivate.

I lose a little spark of life when Lambert mentioned :p

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: MJG on November 09, 2015, 02:01:07 PM
It's not as black and white as that things it?
Almost every manager has a failure on their CV,  he didn't get them relegated and worked under tight budget.
I think when looking at every possible manager and their failures you need to look at what was going on in the background.
It's like Rosler,  is it fair to take the Leeds sacking into account given the nutter in charge?

I do realize that a different context can bring different results, yes. And, realistically, we probably couldn't afford a manager with a perfect looking CV. Just something about Villa, I guess, that turns me off.

I'll support any manager chosen, longer than I should probably.

westcliff white

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on November 09, 2015, 02:02:58 PM

You do realize that the majority of his Egyptian players weren't playing professionally from 2012 thru to their elimination, right? I think he did a fantastic job keeping them even slightly competitive considering the turmoil within the country during that time. Add in the fact that the country didn't have a functioning professional league from 2012 forward during the qualifying cycle and I come to a completely opposite opinion from yours. Heck rioters even burned down the FA headquarters during this time.
I am aware yes but then quite a few countries in africa are professional, Although He did have access to some decent professionals playing abroad.

My point is that he doesn't have a track record in club football of any note, similar to Kit and I do not think we can afford to take a punt this time.

Like CMG mentions on his post I do not know if BB or any manager would be a good choice but I am like everyone else just expressing my opinion on what I have heard and read. I may even say similar to yourself having followed him closely you say he would be great, I respect that opinion but disagree with it.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: cmg on November 09, 2015, 02:07:34 PM
I have no idea whether or not Bob Bradley would make a decent manager of this , or any other, club.

However his PWDL record in his previous two places of employment is:

Stabaek -  71  37  11  23
Egypt    -   37  23   6    8

Like everyone else, whose opinion is just as valid as mine, I have no idea how the Bradley way would mesh with the Championship or the PL if he were to take us that far. What I do believe and what I think his record (not results) show is that he'd bring what this team needs most right now: belief in themselves, preparedness for every opponent and organization. They would overachieve IMHO.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: westcliff white on November 09, 2015, 02:17:42 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on November 09, 2015, 02:02:58 PM

I am aware yes but then quite a few countries in africa are professional, Although He did have access to some decent professionals playing abroad.

My point is that he doesn't have a track record in club football of any note, similar to Kit and I do not think we can afford to take a punt this time.

Like CMG mentions on his post I do not know if BB or any manager would be a good choice but I am like everyone else just expressing my opinion on what I have heard and read. I may even say similar to yourself having followed him closely you say he would be great, I respect that opinion but disagree with it.

I agree that his CV is light in regard to his experience in Europe at the club level and agree that it would be a bit of a gamble that I'll concede might not be best taken at the moment. I just believe strongly in Bob, obviously. 

I take no issue with you deciding that he's not the man to take Fulham on, I just don't believe that 'extremely poor' is accurate at all as a descriptor of his performance as a manager.

SmithyFFC

Well, given the fact he has actually been promoted from this division with Norwich should, I would've thought, gives some inspiration, and yes, he struggled with Villa, on a shoe-string budget, but still has experience in top level European football, unlike some of the names being thrown around. Perhaps not the highest profile, box-office candidate but without question the best option we have. 
FTID

SmithyFFC

Quote from: Hoppus on November 09, 2015, 01:40:25 PM
Paul Lambert? The most boring man on the planet.
Nigel Pearson would be great.

So being 'boring' means that you're incapable of being a good manager? Think a few Norwich fans who saw him bring them up would disagree  fp.gif
FTID

SmithyFFC

If we appoint Bob Bradley we may as well prepare for life in League 1 next season.
FTID

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on November 09, 2015, 02:35:08 PM

Well, given the fact he has actually been promoted from this division with Norwich should, I would've thought, gives some inspiration, and yes, he struggled with Villa, on a shoe-string budget, but still has experience in top level European football, unlike some of the names being thrown around. Perhaps not the highest profile, box-office candidate but without question the best option we have. 

I know Lambert did well in the Championship. I don't think my feelings regarding the Villa associated managers are entirely rational either.  :58: Like I said, my opinion is likely more about Villa than it is the managers in question.

If the choice turns out to be Lambert, I'm sure he'll prove me wrong. And I'd hope that he embarrasses me.  :54:

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on November 09, 2015, 02:38:48 PM
If we appoint Bob Bradley we may as well prepare for life in League 1 next season.

We won't. He's at La Havre, or will be soon. They will be in Ligue 1 within two seasons.

nose

for me poyet is fiorst choice
after that pearson
much beyond those two and being realistic, I am not confident with most of the names being mentioned here or in the media, e.g. hoddle would be a total waste of 18 months he is past his sell by date

Lambert, maybe.

But I hear moyes is on the brink of needing a new job and the timing? Is it a coincidence? Moyes would be successful, I am not a great fan of his personality but I am happy to put that aside if we are successful!

Ichabod Magoo

It's funny how British-centric so many people's hopes seem to center on.  I just hope they are not considering Lambert since I can't understand half the things he mumbles.   :022:
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

Rambling Syd version 2

I can't seethe attraction of Bob Bradley,I really can't
If this appoint goes very wrong and we go down,it could be curtains for us
It's that important,we have to ask some hard questions regarding "the new" manager
Is he a proven force in a very competitive league?
Is he used to dealing with pressure applied from the board everyday due to the money involved with promotion/demotion?
Can he organise a squad he didn't assemble into a capable defensive/offensive unit that can operate week in week out?
Can he get results straight out of the blocks?
BB shouldn't even be in the running for the job,if you ask the above questions!