The Official Next Manager Discussion Thread

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, November 07, 2015, 04:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandad

Quote from: westcliff white on December 02, 2015, 12:08:33 PM
Quote from: MJG on December 02, 2015, 12:06:28 PM
Quote from: westcliff white on December 02, 2015, 12:02:17 PM
Gary Neville is now Valencia Head coach
Bloody hell. good luck to him and well done for taking that job.
The owner of Valencia is a Mr Lim, the same Mr Lim that invested in Salford City
His brother Phil is already there as an assistant coach. We were never in the race.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on December 02, 2015, 12:11:33 PM
Quote from: MJG on December 02, 2015, 11:49:31 AM
Quote from: Chutney on December 02, 2015, 11:45:10 AM
JFH is riding on a lot of the good work Rowett did while at Burton, will be interesting to see how he does taking over from a Ramsey, he's not left qpr in a good way.
Do you feel the same about Rosler at Brentford, paving way for Warburton to do well? Just interested how that's perceived.

All my Brentford mates will tell you Warburton laid the foundations for Rosler. Apparently as sporting director he scouted players and gave recommendations as to who to bring in. Doesn't sound a million miles away from Riggs role

Clearly that must be true to some degree.

But what has Rosler done since? What has Warburton has done? What does that tell you?

[By the way, I would take either in preference to many of the names previously mentioned on here]

joeemslie

Gary would have been a decent decision - He comes across as fully committed in anything he does and at the very least would make the players care (which is what we have been nneding for a while!)

Moyes it is then...am i right?!

Ordar

I predict Gary Neville will do a fantastic job at Valencia.

Are we ever going to hire anyone? Basically the odds on all candidates are now slipping. The bookies haven't got a clue, and sadly I don't think Rigg has. Forest is another winnable game that we're effectively throwing away.

spikey norman

I would take Garcia or Jokanovic over Rosler any day

MJG

JFH is riding on a lot of the good work Rowett did while at Burton, will be interesting to see how he does taking over from a Ramsey, he's not left qpr in a good way.
Do you feel the same about Rosler at Brentford, paving way for Warburton to do well? Just interested how that's perceived.

All my Brentford mates will tell you Warburton laid the foundations for Rosler. Apparently as sporting director he scouted players and gave recommendations as to who to bring in. Doesn't sound a million miles away from Riggs role
I'll give you another one

Swansea...Rodgers...was all the hard work done by the two managers before him and Rodgers is a fraud?

Wimbledon_White

I was just at Waterloo Station; I saw John Sitton waiting in the taxi cue.

Granted he was driving the cab, but make of that what you will.

He is 25/1 with SkyBet

SG

Quote from: Ordar on December 02, 2015, 12:43:09 PM

Are we ever going to hire anyone? Basically the odds on all candidates are now slipping. The bookies haven't got a clue, and sadly I don't think Rigg has. Forest is another winnable game that we're effectively throwing away.

Sums it up. If they knew who they wanted they would have appointed them by now. Nobody has a clue including our management team. I think they may be best off having Grant/Curbs until the end of the season and appoint someone when there will be more choices available. What an utter shambles.

Adi-ffc

We should just go and pay what Jokanovic wants and get him, if he could still imagine coming...

where's the ambition, it really is utterly mystifying.

Chutney

Quote from: MJG on December 02, 2015, 12:48:07 PM

Swansea...Rodgers...was all the hard work done by the two managers before him and Rodgers is a fraud?

I just think it will be interesting to see how JFH does when taking over a club on a decline as opposed to a club on the up, he might well do brilliantly, but he has yet to be in that position, he's had a pretty simple career up to date.
C O Y W

MJG

Quote from: Chutney on December 02, 2015, 12:54:10 PM

I just think it will be interesting to see how JFH does when taking over a club on a decline as opposed to a club on the up, he might well do brilliantly, but he has yet to be in that position, he's had a pretty simple career up to date.
I'd say a promotion and top spot is doing something. He would have been found out pretty sharpish and hit a bad run if he didn't have something

Logicalman

I wouldn't go as far to say he is a fraud, he managed to keep the newly-promoted side in the Prem in the first year before jumping ship, I would say he used them as a stepping stone, and the groundwork laid by Martinez was significant in BR's success at Swansea. His subsequent failure at Liverpool (let's be honest not the easiest place to manage - ask Roy) was as much down to the signings and his apparent inability to gel players of high quality together, thus, perhaps not all down to him, but his ego did precede him when he arrived (and left) Anfield.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

MJG

Rowett was in charge at Burton for first 15 games last year and had 28 points (1.87ppg)
JFH had 31 games and 66 points (2.13)

His total across two seasons is 51 games and 105 points (2.06)

Just saying

Ordar

The main issue I have with this, and I'm all for waiting to find the right person, is that Symons was sacked because the club are demanding top 6 (read promotion). By not replacing Symons in the international break we have now played 2 very winnable games and come away with 2 points from a possible 6. Even if we hire someone today (unlikely), they'll basically have zero time to work with the players before forest away. So that's another winnable game thrown away. (I do not believe we will win a game with Grant in charge, why is Curbishley not doing the caretaker role??)

The task of finishing top 6 is getting progressively harder the longer we don't have a new manager (head coach, whatever). So if it gets to the stage where top 6 becomes unrealistic due to how long a new hire is taken, and BBC are saying we might wait until January, what on earth was the point in sacking Symons. Yes he was useless and out of his depth, but we're coasting along with Grant who has zero experience, and is quite clearly not up to the required standard to coach the first team.

Also, we have 6 games in December, (plus 1 on Jan 2nd) so anyone who comes in is barely going to have any time to do any proper coaching anyway.

TL:DR - Basically, the manager change should have happened in the International window, or not at all if top 6 was the aim because the longer its left, the more pointless it was

Chutney

Quote from: Ordar on December 02, 2015, 01:02:01 PM
The main issue I have with this, and I'm all for waiting to find the right person, is that Symons was sacked because the club are demanding top 6 (read promotion). By not replacing Symons in the international break we have now played 2 very winnable games and come away with 2 points from a possible 6. Even if we hire someone today (unlikely), they'll basically have zero time to work with the players before forest away. So that's another winnable game thrown away. (I do not believe we will win a game with Grant in charge, why is Curbishley not doing the caretaker role??)

The task of finishing top 6 is getting progressively harder the longer we don't have a new manager (head coach, whatever). So if it gets to the stage where top 6 becomes unrealistic due to how long a new hire is taken, and BBC are saying we might wait until January, what on earth was the point in sacking Symons. Yes he was useless and out of his depth, but we're coasting along with Grant who has zero experience, and is quite clearly not up to the required standard to coach the first team.

Also, we have 6 games in December, (plus 1 on Jan 2nd) so anyone who comes in is barely going to have any time to do any proper coaching anyway.

TL:DR - Basically, the manager change should have happened in the International window, or not at all if top 6 was the aim because the longer its left, the more pointless it was
top 6 became unrealistic when we lost to Birmingham
C O Y W

Asotosyios

Quote from: Chutney on December 02, 2015, 01:03:34 PM

It's still not unrealistic - we are only 6 points off the 6th place. But I agree with Ordar that we should have appointed someone during the international break, otherwise we should have kept Kit until the end of the year for a mid-table finish and push for promotion next year with a new manager in the summer.

Wimbledon_White

At that point we still had 30 games left to play. How you consider it unrealistic with two thirds of the season remaining seems a bit odd to me.

Wimbledon_White

With Rigg's obvious complete inability to get us a Manager willing to work with him, how long before we see the following headline on the Official website:

"Curbishley appointed Interim Manager until the end of the Season"

And then an article full of utter spin (by Sarah Brookes) saying how Alan was ultimately deemed the best option from Day One etc etc etc.

I would suggest this won't be too far away now.

westcliff white

Quote from: Asotosyios on December 02, 2015, 01:07:38 PM

It's still not unrealistic - we are only 6 points off the 6th place. But I agree with Ordar that we should have appointed someone during the international break, otherwise we should have kept Kit until the end of the year for a mid-table finish and push for promotion next year with a new manager in the summer.
6pts equates to 4 wins in reality as not all the teams above will lose the next 2 games etc, its a hard call to make the playoffs this season now, not impossible but very hard. We need a run like Derby had 10/11 games unbeaten, with more wins than draws
Every day is a Fulham day