watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Next Manager Discussion Thread

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, November 07, 2015, 04:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FPT

It looks a push, and then it also depends on other sides, no?

I get that we're *only* 6 points from 6th, problem is, there's 6 teams between us and that position, we've got to rely on being better than 7 teams (inc Birmingham) points wise.

Plus, just had a quick tally up of the past 10 years in this division, since 2009/10 (the last 6 seasons) only once has their been more than a single team finish in the top six without a goals against in the top six of the division. Positive for us, that since 2004/05, there's always been at least one.

westcliff white

For me the 6pts = 4 wins to get into the top 6, and thats being optimistic in my view
Every day is a Fulham day

MJG

Quote from: westcliff white on December 02, 2015, 02:08:45 PM
For me the 6pts = 4 wins to get into the top 6, and thats being optimistic in my view
Your right, we basically need to win 5 in a row and we would catch 6th place by new year.

Chutney

when was the last time we won 5 games in a row?
C O Y W

Ordar

Quote from: MJG on December 02, 2015, 02:17:17 PM
Your right, we basically need to win 5 in a row and we would catch 6th place by new year.

The last time we won 5 in a row was.......drumroll please....

2000/2001 promotion season (unsurprisingly) and only won 5 league games in a row once during that season. (Two other occasions we won 5 in row that season, but that included cup games.)

Chutney

C O Y W

MJG

Quote from: Ordar on December 02, 2015, 02:29:45 PM
Quote from: MJG on December 02, 2015, 02:17:17 PM

The last time we won 5 in a row was.......drumroll please....

2000/2001 promotion season (unsurprisingly) and only won 5 league games in a row once during that season. (Two other occasions we won 5 in row that season, but that included cup games.)

But anyway you don't need to win 5 in a row, just need to be slowly making up ground as the season progresses.

Others average 1.57ppg we need to be 1.82ppg (rough figures)

FPT

Quote from: Chutney on December 02, 2015, 02:21:35 PM
when was the last time we won 5 games in a row?

We won 4 games in a row in 2010, Burnley 3-0, Notts County 4-0, Shakhtar Donetsk 2-1, Birmingham 2-1 - all home games.

Last time we won five on the bounce?

Gillingham 3-0, Chesterfield 4-0, Bolton 2-0, Blackburn 2-1, Crystal Palace 3-1.

Period? September to October 2000.

Goal scorers: Hayles (3), Clark (3), Boa Morte (3), Saha (2), Hayward, Symons,, Fernandes.

MJG

Of most importance is that another 300 plus views of this thread and it reaches 100000

PokerMatt

Genuinely think I've gone past the point of caring now. It's a weird feeling.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

f321ffc

Re: The Official Next Manager Discussion Thread
« Reply #1850 on: Today at 03:16:47 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote
Of most importance is that another 300 plus views of this thread and it reaches 100000

Quote from: f321ffc on November 19, 2015, 07:25:02 PM
Quote from: Fulham Tup North on November 19, 2015, 07:18:53 PM
092.gif.
More importantly, Riether Lightning 63, your almost at the magical 50,000 !  049:gif
I posted a few days ago about this thread reaching 50,000 page views before the new man is announced, at this rate we could make 100,000.
Any advance on 150,000  090.gif fp.gif
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Bill2

Quote from: PokerMatt on December 02, 2015, 03:20:50 PM
I started the rumour today that we will hold out to the end of the season and then we will get Pep Guardiola, not sure anyone believed me though.

MJG

Quote from: Bill2 on December 02, 2015, 03:37:29 PM
I started the rumour today that we will hold out to the end of the season and then we will get Pep Guardiola, not sure anyone believed me though.
25-1 apparently

PokerMatt

Quote from: MJG on December 02, 2015, 03:39:33 PM
Quote from: Bill2 on December 02, 2015, 03:37:29 PM
25-1 apparently

Put 10p on and he'll be odds-on.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Asotosyios

Quote from: westcliff white on December 02, 2015, 01:17:51 PM
Quote from: Asotosyios on December 02, 2015, 01:07:38 PM
Quote from: Chutney on December 02, 2015, 01:03:34 PM
Quote from: Ordar on December 02, 2015, 01:02:01 PM
The main issue I have with this, and I'm all for waiting to find the right person, is that Symons was sacked because the club are demanding top 6 (read promotion). By not replacing Symons in the international break we have now played 2 very winnable games and come away with 2 points from a possible 6. Even if we hire someone today (unlikely), they'll basically have zero time to work with the players before forest away. So that's another winnable game thrown away. (I do not believe we will win a game with Grant in charge, why is Curbishley not doing the caretaker role??)

The task of finishing top 6 is getting progressively harder the longer we don't have a new manager (head coach, whatever). So if it gets to the stage where top 6 becomes unrealistic due to how long a new hire is taken, and BBC are saying we might wait until January, what on earth was the point in sacking Symons. Yes he was useless and out of his depth, but we're coasting along with Grant who has zero experience, and is quite clearly not up to the required standard to coach the first team.

Also, we have 6 games in December, (plus 1 on Jan 2nd) so anyone who comes in is barely going to have any time to do any proper coaching anyway.

TL:DR - Basically, the manager change should have happened in the International window, or not at all if top 6 was the aim because the longer its left, the more pointless it was
top 6 became unrealistic when we lost to Birmingham

It's still not unrealistic - we are only 6 points off the 6th place. But I agree with Ordar that we should have appointed someone during the international break, otherwise we should have kept Kit until the end of the year for a mid-table finish and push for promotion next year with a new manager in the summer.
6pts equates to 4 wins in reality as not all the teams above will lose the next 2 games etc, its a hard call to make the playoffs this season now, not impossible but very hard. We need a run like Derby had 10/11 games unbeaten, with more wins than draws

I am not saying we will make it, but it is still a possibility, even if a distant one. But there is no one out there that can guarantee a play-off place.

We should look for the best manager we can get or the best fit for us and not for someone with a magic wand.

Bedford White

After this length of time we need to sign a manager with pedigree, for me it has to be David Moyes. As I see it he has the knowledge to take Fulham where we all want to go, forwards.

Am I kidding myself that our dear little club could attract a manager of his quality? Probably. But for many years I felt that Fulham was very much like Everton, not a big team but a carefully and well run one.

Mr Khan needs to sign a manager of quality, make a statement of intent and damn the expense. It's time to be bold, and if it's not DM then someone of his ilk. Otherwise we'll continue to drift sideways and eventually downwards.

SG

We're there 100,001 as I post. What's the record for views?