watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Official Next Manager Discussion Thread

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, November 07, 2015, 04:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rubbernecca

It is a positive move and hopefully Gray can sort out the defending by Saturday. 

HamsterWheel

So, now the new "Head Coach" not only has to cope with not being called a manager, but is saddled with having Gray as his senior coach !
Rigg is really digging himself deeper and deeper into that hole.
Just have to hope that the Jokanovic rumour is right, and that he's OK with the set-up.

rubbernecca

Quote from: Ordar on December 08, 2015, 12:11:25 PM
Sounds to me like he's effectively going to be a defensive coach in the long term

This I actually have no problems with as our defence is terrible and Gray is meant to be good at that side of coaching.

It does mean however that (unless the incoming HC had say on Gray's appointment, which is possible) the new HC will have to work alongside Gray.

I'm semi expecting it to be Jokanovic now

Although this is taking forever, I did agree with and appreciate everything Rigg said in that announcement

I hope it's Jokanovic

Chutney

I would of been livid is Gray was appointed as head coach, but as just a coach, its a good choice, I have been very harsh to the club in regards to the prospect of gray being head coach, but they've got this one right.
C O Y W

Riverside

So I guess the bookees are not paying out on Gray as Head Coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexbishop

this does kind of show we are no closer to appointing a head coach than we were a month ago. This is of course, a bit of a stop gap. However, I do see that bringing Gray in will be an improvement to our existing coaching set up. How that will tie in with whoever does eventually become our Head Coach is anyone's' guess!
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

Chutney

Quote from: alexbishop on December 08, 2015, 12:18:37 PM
this does kind of show we are no closer to appointing a head coach than we were a month ago. This is of course, a bit of a stop gap. However, I do see that bringing Gray in will be an improvement to our existing coaching set up. How that will tie in with whoever does eventually become our Head Coach is anyone's' guess!

When we appoint a head coach gray will revert to simply being a coach, its a good move, we all agreed the current set of coaches were not good enough so adding to them is a good idea.
C O Y W

Ordar

I think we can all agree that bringing Gray in as a senior coach can only be a good thing, as our current first team coaching set up is clearly not good enough. With Gray being reported as a good defensive coach aswell, the appointment makes a lot of sense.

Burt

A good move in my view. use Gray to sort out the defence, and don't get panicked in to a head coach appointment you may live to regret despite the pressure to get someone on board.

The Head Coach is a key appointment and I would prefer them to take time to make the right choice.

Horsfield_No9

I for one am happy with this. He's more experienced than Kit and Grant and has a great record for sorting out defenses. My one problem is where the players heads are at yet again having another man with different ideas. Those who have been there longer like Kaca must find these continuous changes hard to follow. Any time between now and the end of the season there will be new ideas AGAIN. Not really a recipe for success.
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

Horsfield_No9

Quote from: HamsterWheel on December 08, 2015, 12:12:56 PM
So, now the new "Head Coach" not only has to cope with not being called a manager, but is saddled with having Gray as his senior coach !
Just have to hope that the Jokanovic rumour is right, and that he's OK with the set-up.

This is slightly worrying and slims down the options even more.
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

lomotd

Interesting development. It's clear we failed to get in the man we wanted initially but I'm ok with this new move, shows we aren't going to settle for anyone. I wouldn't be surprised if Gray manages the team for a good while, maybe even the season, before someone Rigg et al wants comes available.

Roy will be available after summer won't he...

Lighthouse

I think we have to be honest here. The caretaker manager Peter Grant wasn't good and didn't want the job. So we have brought in an outside caretaker coach who has been promised a job in the long term. Meanwhile it has been over a month and we are still without a manager, head coach etc.

Even if we now employ a top class name. This whole thing has been more than frustrating. We don't know what has gone on behind the scenes. But from the outside looking in it smacks of incompetence.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

filham

The good news is that this record breaking thread will now continue , most likely well into 2016

Chutney

Quote from: Horsfield_No9 on December 08, 2015, 12:24:14 PM

A senior coach is still just a coach, the head coach will be the one implementing his ideas and with the final say. I don't see an issue?
C O Y W

Chesh

Quote from: Chutney on December 08, 2015, 12:30:36 PM

A senior coach is still just a coach, the head coach will be the one implementing his ideas and with the final say. I don't see an issue?
I agree with Chutney.

I can honestly see a proper 'head coach' come in with his own assistant.

They will then be able to hand over the main drills etc. to Stuart Gray and his team of coaches.

This will leave them to pick the team, formulate tactics, and direct the coaching staff. They will also have total control on match days etc.

Any head coach coming in will always have a ready made coaching set up to utilise as he best sees fit.

Am I being too optimistic or simplistic?

Made in Hammersmith (1968)

FulhamStu

Lots of assumptions being made again.  Rigg did not say Gray would remain as First team senior team coach after the Head Coach is appointed, he said he would remain as a coach. As said above the new 'Head Coach' we want may not yet be available, so this is an interim appointment.  It could also be as has stated above, that the new 'Head Coach' has been identified and approved Gray as his no2 ?.

What we have lacked for a very long time now is someone to sort out our pathetic defending.  Rigg even stated that this is an area of weakness we need to address.  Gray has a reputation as a good defensive coach, so again this suggests that this is a good move by Rigg.

The normal method is to change the manager, the manager then brings with him his staff.  The average lengh of a managers job in the Championship is less than a year.  This constant churn is damaging to the team and the finances.  I certainly think this new approach makes sence.  Whether it will prove succesful I guess is down to who we appoint but its important that whoever it is, is here for the long term.   

Fulham are taking a low risk approach.  QPR's hiring of JFH is high risk.  Magath was high risk and look at how that ended.  I think we should get beind what the club are doing, you never know it may prove a master stroke, then again it may fail however I can see why they are going with this model.

bill taylors apprentice

Ferguson, Shankly, Stein, Mourinho, Clough and even Symons had a No 2, sometimes a close friend, sometimes just another coach.
Shouldn't be a problem.

Neil D

Maccabi Tel Aviv's coach before Jokanovic, Pako Ayestaran (Spain), is a free agent having parted company with his Mexican club last month.  This could help smooth Jokanovic's transition...

filham

So it is reasonable to assume that we are no closer to finding a new head coach than we were 4 weeks ago, in fact we may have thought we were closer 4 weeks ago as we would not have expected the rejections. So now perhaps we are waiting for a good man to get the sack, it could be an interesting wait with the press linking us with all and sundry.