more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Under no circumstances

Started by Tom, August 01, 2010, 04:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkedHat

Quote from: Peabody on August 02, 2010, 10:58:28 AM
Looks like one of your bulbs has gone out. Of course there are concerns about various aspects of our game, you are not the only one to have spotted these. However, we are now on a different course and until such times as we see the direction we take, there is little any of us can do. If we are not happy once we are in competative games then we will react accordingley, if we are poor then some will stop following us. Others, like myself, will follow them until I shed my mortal coil (that cant be long now!) But please do not lecture us on the outcome of a mean nothing game of football. Oh and I will have the glue when you are finished.

Mr P - as Oscar Wilde once said, "I am not young enough to know everything." You and I have been through all this kind of thing before, but what do we know? Following Fulham for sixty years counts for nothing.
But I will say this. I have had my run-ins with young Tom previously and we sorted out our differences in a spate of private emails. What we have in Tom is a dedicated follower of Fulham who hurts when we don't live up to his expectations. For him every game is there to be won and any defeat is unacceptable. When I was his age I probably felt the same but age and experience mellows us all.
One day in the future he will see things the way that we see them, Mr P, but in the interim let us smile on his passion. Who knows perhaps we have become inured to being second best and it is people like Tom who refuses to allow that to happen in the future - but whatever, like you Mr P, I shall be supporting Fulham until the day I kick up the daisies.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

CorkedHat

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 02, 2010, 11:14:28 AM
Sorry lads I really don't understand the hostility. I wasn't aware that defending the right to say we shouldn't have lost to Pompey was lecturing. Didn't understand that we are no longer supposed to react to friendly games. I now do understand that friendly games mean nothing and the formation and score mean nothing.

I will no longer comment on friendly games including next week. I hope you all do the same. But then if we are no longer allowed to make any conclusions from friendly games. I guess we no longer need to comment until the new season.

Now don't you start to throw your toys out of the pram, Mr Beamer, otherwise this old codger will be over there to smack your arse.
:019:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

AlFayedsChequebook

Sorry lads I really don't understand the hostility. I wasn't aware that defending the right to say we shouldn't have lost to Pompey was lecturing. Didn't understand that we are no longer supposed to react to friendly games. I now do understand that friendly games mean nothing and the formation and score mean nothing.

I will no longer comment on friendly games including next week. I hope you all do the same. But then if we are no longer allowed to make any conclusions from friendly games. I guess we no longer need to comment until the new season.

There is reacting to friendly games and overeacting to friendly games. Saying that it is a disgrace that we lost to Pompey is like saying that Stockdale should be England no.1 because of his penalty save against Brentford.

I am all for commenting on pre-season games, but surely we should all just keep a sense of perspective?

Lighthouse

Quote from: CorkedHat on August 02, 2010, 11:19:38 AM

Now don't you start to throw your toys out of the pram, Mr Beamer, otherwise this old codger will be over there to smack your arse.
:019:

No toys or bottom smacking or prams. Am very contented. Often I think I need to preface my posts with 'read with smile on face'.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

os5889

No toys or bottom smacking or prams. Am very contented. Often I think I need to preface my posts with 'read with smile on face'.
[/quote]

Indeed I do, always make me think as well as usually offering a balanced counter argument. Speaking for myself my issue wasnt so much the result, the performance more the arrogance and dismissal of the other team as lesser and their performance being irrelavant.

Anyway onwards and upwards as they say.

I woke up to a horrible thought that with the 25 man rule Hughes might not fancy Mr Murphy any more especially with Greening being purchased so to speak....

Peabody

Lighthouse

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Jimpav

I can see where you are coming from Tom but this is the same team that made the FA cup final and gave Chelksi a run for their money.

If Pompey hadn't been lumbered with a 10 point penalty they would have probably stayed up. They were a better side than Spammers and the other relegation candidates.

Secondly we only won once on the road last year and that was the result of a flukey deflection off Zamoras arse.

NogoodBoyo

I love these friendly banters when Lighthouse has been on the moonshine again and Tom's been riding that high horse Bronco with glue stuck to his 'arris.  But, I agree with Mo's cheque book, that bloke os mucho numeros really did write an excellent review.
Nogood "can't be friends all the time, can we"  Boyo

FC Silver Fox

NFR but following on from discussing friendlies : If you get a red card in a pre-season friendly then the ban only applies to other friendlies and not competitive matches(just been confirmed by the sweet FA).  Vieira settled an old score with Materazzi in the Man City "friendly" with Inter Milan. He got sent off for elbowing Materazzi (I'd give Vieira a medal instead of a ban,but that's just me).

What's the point of this post, you may ask yourself?  I don't really know.  Just that if we pick up any cards pre-season, they don't count for anything.

FC Silver Fox, getting senile now, is it?
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Tom

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 02, 2010, 10:38:01 AM
Have to say I find the point Tom made very easy to understand. This whole, chill man, only a friendly man, who cares man, after you with the sniffing Tippex man. All a bit odd. The players were playing in front of their new boss. It was the first time he would have watched some of them carefully. One game is not the be all or end all. But to dismiss it on the back of all our other pre season games is weird.

One win, struggling to find goals with one forward in the whole squad. Yet lets not in any way feel frustrated or voice a bit of annoyance. No let's just chill and smell the glue from the hardware store. Friendly games, while helping with fitness point out the one or two obvious problems with our squad.

If you thought the last two seasons were the best in our history, hands up. All of us. If you are concerned that two away wins and five shots on target in two seasons is a concern. Hands up. Oh right just a few of us. After you with the glue.
Thank you Lighthouse, it is not to hard of a concept to grasp here.
Fulham for life!

Tom

Quote from: os5889 on August 02, 2010, 09:33:31 AM
Quote from: Tom on August 02, 2010, 02:30:14 AM
Quote from: os5889 on August 01, 2010, 04:20:58 PM
Quote from: Tom on August 01, 2010, 04:08:28 PM
Quote from: CorkedHat on August 01, 2010, 09:23:53 AM
Don't get too excited Tom. It's only a friendly - a time to experiment, get match fit, and for those who played in the WC the opportunity to get acclimatised again.
Of course it is disappointing to lose to a Championship Club but it really means nothing - honest! :035:
I'm not excited CorkedHat, just very disappointed! Pompey is a sh!t team and under no circumstances should we lose to them.

Also their season starts a week earlier, chill out as we still have 2 weeks of conditioning and fitness training to go. If you want to judge us then consider Chel s e a who lost 5-1 to Wycombe...
Chill out os5889? Why are you telling to me to chill out when I said im not angry? I was never hot under the collar. We have far superior talent to Pompey and should not have lost that game. That is the bottom line and a fact.

It was chill out or get off your high horse, I went to the game, did you? Portsmouth were fitter than us but definately not better than us.

Portsmouth have played 7 pre season friendlies, we have played 5, our fitness was behind theirs. The team they put out was strong, and probably at least 4 or 5 of them wouldnt be out of place in the premiership, (Mullins, Sonko, Wilson, Hughes, Utaka, definately Boateng and maybe even Nugent).

It pisses me right off that people can have the audacity to make comments like " They are know where near our class".
Whos to say that? We got to the Europa league final, they won the FA cup 2 years ago with that squad they drew with AC Milan! Are we better on paper, maybe. Were we better on the day, probably. I personally feel that getting on the superiorist bandwagon claiming we are great we should win echoes the fans of them lot down the road or at Old Trafford. Where do you get off saying that, only a year ago we couldn't say we could beat Sheffield Wednesday away with any confidence.

Quite frankly it wasnt that long ago we were in the same boat as Portsmouth and on the day they won. Thats the beauty of football anything can happen on the day and factual best teams on paper dont always win, United lost to Leeds in the FA Cup, Heskey denied  the club round the corner a league title playing at Wigan, if Portsmouth had been luckier with their chairman like we had they would not have been in the mess they were in last season.

So no, chill out was the wrong comment, try get realistic and consider the "fact" that pre season games are about practice, they are about fitness, not all about the result and for christs sake please try to remember which "superior" team it is your supporting and how easily fortunes can change...

No, I did not go to game but I did go to the Pompey game here in San Diego 2 weeks ago and they are not a good team. They are not an impressive team and that is putting it lightly. We should not have lost to them under any circumstances.
Fulham for life!

Peabody

Quote from: Tom on August 02, 2010, 03:41:44 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on August 02, 2010, 10:38:01 AM
Have to say I find the point Tom made very easy to understand. This whole, chill man, only a friendly man, who cares man, after you with the sniffing Tippex man. All a bit odd. The players were playing in front of their new boss. It was the first time he would have watched some of them carefully. One game is not the be all or end all. But to dismiss it on the back of all our other pre season games is weird.

One win, struggling to find goals with one forward in the whole squad. Yet lets not in any way feel frustrated or voice a bit of annoyance. No let's just chill and smell the glue from the hardware store. Friendly games, while helping with fitness point out the one or two obvious problems with our squad.

If you thought the last two seasons were the best in our history, hands up. All of us. If you are concerned that two away wins and five shots on target in two seasons is a concern. Hands up. Oh right just a few of us. After you with the glue.
Thank you Lighthouse, it is not to hard of a concept to grasp.
[/quote
]It is if your fingers are glued together.

Tom

I have no idea why a couple people blew this way out of proportion. If you don't have high expectations for your said team, why are you a fan of your said team? We are coming off the most successful season we have ever had and we are off to a slow start. I expect good things from this team. If you don't, you aren't a true fan.
Fulham for life!

tingtawng

c.h.elsie also lost ,they are all holding back keeping their powder dry ,who wants a nasty injury at this stage ?
IN SVEN VE TVUST

Steve_orino

Quote from: CorkedHat on August 02, 2010, 11:17:01 AM
Quote from: Peabody on August 02, 2010, 10:58:28 AM
Looks like one of your bulbs has gone out. Of course there are concerns about various aspects of our game, you are not the only one to have spotted these. However, we are now on a different course and until such times as we see the direction we take, there is little any of us can do. If we are not happy once we are in competative games then we will react accordingley, if we are poor then some will stop following us. Others, like myself, will follow them until I shed my mortal coil (that cant be long now!) But please do not lecture us on the outcome of a mean nothing game of football. Oh and I will have the glue when you are finished.

Mr P - as Oscar Wilde once said, "I am not young enough to know everything." You and I have been through all this kind of thing before, but what do we know? Following Fulham for sixty years counts for nothing.
But I will say this. I have had my run-ins with young Tom previously and we sorted out our differences in a spate of private emails. What we have in Tom is a dedicated follower of Fulham who hurts when we don't live up to his expectations. For him every game is there to be won and any defeat is unacceptable. When I was his age I probably felt the same but age and experience mellows us all.
One day in the future he will see things the way that we see them, Mr P, but in the interim let us smile on his passion. Who knows perhaps we have become inured to being second best and it is people like Tom who refuses to allow that to happen in the future - but whatever, like you Mr P, I shall be supporting Fulham until the day I kick up the daisies.

Agree with the thought that it was over-reaction but there is no denying Mr. Tom's passion.  You've got to appreciate it as much as we love Blingo's optimism & Beamer's pessimism. 
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Peabody

Quote from: Tom on August 02, 2010, 03:50:08 PM
I have no idea why a couple people blew this way out of proportion. If you don't have high expectations for your said team, why are you a fan of your said team? We are coming off the most successful season we have ever had and we are off to a slow start. I expect good things from this team. If you don't, you aren't a true fan.

I hope you are not saying I am not a true fan Tom, because if you are your way out of order. I have more than paid my dues to FFC I do not take kindly to someone telling me "I am not a true fan simply because I hold a different opinion from him.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Tom on August 02, 2010, 03:50:08 PM

so by your reasoning, I should be expecting to qualify for the champions league/win the premiership this season and if I am not then I am not a 'true fan'?

Peabody

OK Tom, I do admire your enthusiasum for Fulham and it is to be commended but I disagree with quite a lot of what you write because, some of it is way over the top, in fact quite a lot is. That is my opinion and I am sure you disagree wjth quite a few of my musings. However, I recognise that you are a true Fulham fan and I do not in most, cases respond to you because, I want to encourage fans like you especially from a foriegn country. So please do not bring into doubt my dedication to a football team that I have supported since 1946.

SuffolkWhite

I think everyone can express their views on here but we need to be aware of the different age groups and the tone of what we write is important.

So SOD  the lot of yer my opinion is more important  :011:  :doh:, ooops Sorry  :048:.

Note to self "think about what your writing before you write it"
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"