watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Under no circumstances

Started by Tom, August 01, 2010, 04:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Should we have lost to Pompey!  :doh:  They are know where near our class! I said this in a previous thread that I was worried about us not scoring many goals since the first game against Brentford. We have not scored a goal in the last two games and haven't been playing the best competition. Anyone else a little worried and see where I am coming from? We need to bring Ireland and Bellamy in now!!!  :54:
Fulham for life!

CorkedHat

Don't get too excited Tom. It's only a friendly - a time to experiment, get match fit, and for those who played in the WC the opportunity to get acclimatised again.
Of course it is disappointing to lose to a Championship Club but it really means nothing - honest! :035:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

watfordwhite

To be fair we had the better of the game, just could do nothing with it. Pansil backed himself into a few sticky moments (not like him) Eddie Johnson came on and was his usual woeful self. If I was him, I would not wear those pink and mauve boots. I would try some black ones, so I did not stand out. Konch, Bobby, Simon, Huges & Hangaland all played well. Danny was a little slow but bossed the play well. The ground was poor, the crowd was poor, the Balti pie was unedible and you could not even get a pint at 1/2 time......... A typical day at Pomp.  :55:

Lighthouse

We need what we have needed for some time even if Europe managed to paper over our short comings last season. Forwards, central midfield. Murphy will not last the season. Greening is no replacement. Plus replacements for departing players.

We dont put enough pressure on defences. For two seasons we have had wonderful TIMES. But that shouldn't make us forget our woeful away run.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Tom

Quote from: CorkedHat on August 01, 2010, 09:23:53 AM
Don't get too excited Tom. It's only a friendly - a time to experiment, get match fit, and for those who played in the WC the opportunity to get acclimatised again.
Of course it is disappointing to lose to a Championship Club but it really means nothing - honest! :035:
I'm not excited CorkedHat, just very disappointed! Pompey is a sh!t team and under no circumstances should we lose to them.
Fulham for life!

os5889

Quote from: Tom on August 01, 2010, 04:08:28 PM
I'm not excited CorkedHat, just very disappointed! Pompey is a sh!t team and under no circumstances should we lose to them.

Also their season starts a week earlier, chill out as we still have 2 weeks of conditioning and fitness training to go. If you want to judge us then consider Chel s e a who lost 5-1 to Wycombe...

Lighthouse

Well lets not under play this either. We played out best team minus a few World Cup players who came on later. Yes it was a friendly and yes we are a few weeks away from the Prem. But this was Pompey. We conceded a dreadful goal from a corner and yet again struggled to score. Other than our first friendly we have been struggling to score. Not really something we should under play too much.

tingtawng

well what did you expect with no manager ,allbeit a bloke watching in the stands .blame Mo for taking too long and unsettling the team ,they must be worried where the axe will fall sooner or later .obviously they will be a big clearout at some stage and new faces brought in and new 
names
IN SVEN VE TVUST

Lighthouse

Quote from: tingtawng on August 01, 2010, 04:40:05 PM
well what did you expect with no manager ,allbeit a bloke watching in the stands .blame Mo for taking too long and unsettling the team ,they must be worried where the axe will fall sooner or later .obviously they will be a big clearout at some stage and new faces brought in and new  
names

Well although tongue in cheek, you would expect players to want to put on a performance to thank Ray and impress the new boss sitting in the stands. So why they failed to perform after the first 20 minutes is beyond me.

bigalffc

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 01, 2010, 09:58:39 AM
We need what we have needed for some time even if Europe managed to paper over our short comings last season. Forwards, central midfield. Murphy will not last the season. Greening is no replacement. Plus replacements for departing players.

We dont put enough pressure on defences. For two seasons we have had wonderful TIMES. But that shouldn't make us forget our woeful away run.
I agree entirely but 2 or 3 good signings will do the trick.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

Peabody

And there's me thinking you had gone all positive over the summer Lighthouse. Two things, it was a friendly (ie not competative). Secondly, Pompey were a Premiership club and cup finalists last season. Indeed, did they not bring on Kanu and a few others. MH was there and will judge what to do as of tomorrow. So, lets not read too much into one result, lets just carry on enjoying the summer, cos the worrying starts in two weeks.

Tom

Quote from: os5889 on August 01, 2010, 04:20:58 PM

Also their season starts a week earlier, chill out as we still have 2 weeks of conditioning and fitness training to go. If you want to judge us then consider Chel s e a who lost 5-1 to Wycombe...
Chill out os5889? Why are you telling to me to chill out when I said im not angry? I was never hot under the collar. We have far superior talent to Pompey and should not have lost that game. That is the bottom line and a fact.
Fulham for life!

Tom

Quote from: bigalffc on August 01, 2010, 05:45:48 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on August 01, 2010, 09:58:39 AM

I agree entirely but 2 or 3 good signings will do the trick.
+1
Fulham for life!

os5889

Quote from: Tom on August 02, 2010, 02:30:14 AM

Chill out os5889? Why are you telling to me to chill out when I said im not angry? I was never hot under the collar. We have far superior talent to Pompey and should not have lost that game. That is the bottom line and a fact.

It was chill out or get off your high horse, I went to the game, did you? Portsmouth were fitter than us but definately not better than us.

Portsmouth have played 7 pre season friendlies, we have played 5, our fitness was behind theirs. The team they put out was strong, and probably at least 4 or 5 of them wouldnt be out of place in the premiership, (Mullins, Sonko, Wilson, Hughes, Utaka, definately Boateng and maybe even Nugent).

It pisses me right off that people can have the audacity to make comments like " They are know where near our class".
Whos to say that? We got to the Europa league final, they won the FA cup 2 years ago with that squad they drew with AC Milan! Are we better on paper, maybe. Were we better on the day, probably. I personally feel that getting on the superiorist bandwagon claiming we are great we should win echoes the fans of them lot down the road or at Old Trafford. Where do you get off saying that, only a year ago we couldn't say we could beat Sheffield Wednesday away with any confidence.

Quite frankly it wasnt that long ago we were in the same boat as Portsmouth and on the day they won. Thats the beauty of football anything can happen on the day and factual best teams on paper dont always win, United lost to Leeds in the FA Cup, Heskey denied  the club round the corner a league title playing at Wigan, if Portsmouth had been luckier with their chairman like we had they would not have been in the mess they were in last season.

So no, chill out was the wrong comment, try get realistic and consider the "fact" that pre season games are about practice, they are about fitness, not all about the result and for christs sake please try to remember which "superior" team it is your supporting and how easily fortunes can change...

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: os5889 on August 02, 2010, 09:33:31 AM
Quote from: Tom on August 02, 2010, 02:30:14 AM

It was chill out or get off your high horse, I went to the game, did you? Portsmouth were fitter than us but definately not better than us.

Portsmouth have played 7 pre season friendlies, we have played 5, our fitness was behind theirs. The team they put out was strong, and probably at least 4 or 5 of them wouldnt be out of place in the premiership, (Mullins, Sonko, Wilson, Hughes, Utaka, definately Boateng and maybe even Nugent).

It pisses me right off that people can have the audacity to make comments like " They are know where near our class".
Whos to say that? We got to the Europa league final, they won the FA cup 2 years ago with that squad they drew with AC Milan! Are we better on paper, maybe. Were we better on the day, probably. I personally feel that getting on the superiorist bandwagon claiming we are great we should win echoes the fans of them lot down the road or at Old Trafford. Where do you get off saying that, only a year ago we couldn't say we could beat Sheffield Wednesday away with any confidence.

Quite frankly it wasnt that long ago we were in the same boat as Portsmouth and on the day they won. Thats the beauty of football anything can happen on the day and factual best teams on paper dont always win, United lost to Leeds in the FA Cup, Heskey denied  the club round the corner a league title playing at Wigan, if Portsmouth had been luckier with their chairman like we had they would not have been in the mess they were in last season.

So no, chill out was the wrong comment, try get realistic and consider the "fact" that pre season games are about practice, they are about fitness, not all about the result and for christs sake please try to remember which "superior" team it is your supporting and how easily fortunes can change...

Best response to an overeationary post on this forum ever. A nice dose of reality!

Peabody

Have tagree OS. Tom was certainley over re-acting to a game thats only benefit was to increase our sharpness. Us as fans must not build our expectations for the coming season on these results.

Lighthouse

Have to say I find the point Tom made very easy to understand. This whole, chill man, only a friendly man, who cares man, after you with the sniffing Tippex man. All a bit odd. The players were playing in front of their new boss. It was the first time he would have watched some of them carefully. One game is not the be all or end all. But to dismiss it on the back of all our other pre season games is weird.

One win, struggling to find goals with one forward in the whole squad. Yet lets not in any way feel frustrated or voice a bit of annoyance. No let's just chill and smell the glue from the hardware store. Friendly games, while helping with fitness point out the one or two obvious problems with our squad.

If you thought the last two seasons were the best in our history, hands up. All of us. If you are concerned that two away wins and five shots on target in two seasons is a concern. Hands up. Oh right just a few of us. After you with the glue.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 02, 2010, 10:38:01 AM
Have to say I find the point Tom made very easy to understand. This whole, chill man, only a friendly man, who cares man, after you with the sniffing Tippex man. All a bit odd. The players were playing in front of their new boss. It was the first time he would have watched some of them carefully. One game is not the be all or end all. But to dismiss it on the back of all our other pre season games is weird.

One win, struggling to find goals with one forward in the whole squad. Yet lets not in any way feel frustrated or voice a bit of annoyance. No let's just chill and smell the glue from the hardware store. Friendly games, while helping with fitness point out the one or two obvious problems with our squad.

If you thought the last two seasons were the best in our history, hands up. All of us. If you are concerned that two away wins and five shots on target in two seasons is a concern. Hands up. Oh right just a few of us. After you with the glue.

How does two away wins last year relate to losing to Portsmouth in a friendly game in pre-season?

Peabody

Looks like one of your bulbs has gone out. Of course there are concerns about various aspects of our game, you are not the only one to have spotted these. However, we are now on a different course and until such times as we see the direction we take, there is little any of us can do. If we are not happy once we are in competative games then we will react accordingley, if we are poor then some will stop following us. Others, like myself, will follow them until I shed my mortal coil (that cant be long now!) But please do not lecture us on the outcome of a mean nothing game of football. Oh and I will have the glue when you are finished.

Lighthouse

Sorry lads I really don't understand the hostility. I wasn't aware that defending the right to say we shouldn't have lost to Pompey was lecturing. Didn't understand that we are no longer supposed to react to friendly games. I now do understand that friendly games mean nothing and the formation and score mean nothing.

I will no longer comment on friendly games including next week. I hope you all do the same. But then if we are no longer allowed to make any conclusions from friendly games. I guess we no longer need to comment until the new season.