News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stuart Gray appointed as Senior Coach, the search goes on...

Started by The Swan, December 08, 2015, 10:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snarks

Quote from: J.Perkins on December 08, 2015, 01:06:11 PM
Quote from: leonffc on December 08, 2015, 01:04:13 PM
Now I wasn't a massive Kit (the manager) fan but if Rigg had identified that we need a senior / defensive coach why not hire one to work under Kit and help him out?
It may have been what Kit needed to push on to the top 6?! Unless he rejected the idea of course.

Because Kit was a tactically useless and inept manager, going no where.

Harsh, and not particlarly fair, he was so tactically inept, he had the highest win percentage of fulham managers for several years, and before anyone talks about levels you can only do what your up aainst. Also he left the club as the highest scorers in the division.

Yes defence was a problem, an at that he had a blindspot, (bit like Keegan) but not tactically uselss IMHO

jarv

This could be the cart before the horse.  Just say, Fulham get the opportunity to hire the right man for the job, whoever it is. He wants the job but only if he brings in his own coaching team. The merry go round goes around again. Not negative, just saying. Some good things said about him but he has not stayed anywhere for very long. I like the fact it is stated he stopped Wednesday shipping goals. If he does that, we will be ok because imho we have 2 of the best strikers in the league who can do the business at the other end.  Onwards and upwards.

Milo

Point about appointing a defensive coach to supplement Kits clearly very successful team when attacking is very well made.

Could have been done over the summer when we knew we had issues then..

snarks

Quote from: FulhamStu on December 08, 2015, 01:09:32 PM
Quote from: snarks on December 08, 2015, 01:07:01 PM
Gray and Wigley were at Southampton at the same time, so they know and trust each other. The thing is both are good coaches, and if they work well together (which they should do) then that's positive. The fact that it's not an internal promotion as far as Gray is concerned means he has more authority than Grant who never wanted the job.
Who was the Saints manager at the time, maybe he will be the New Head Coach :o/    Saints are however a good model to use.

Dave Jones, then Glen Hoddle. Gray also worked under both of them at Wolves too.

ToodlesMcToot

Now I wasn't a massive Kit (the manager) fan but if Rigg had identified that we need a senior / defensive coach why not hire one to work under Kit and help him out?
It may have been what Kit needed to push on to the top 6?! Unless he rejected the idea of course.

After Kit kept us up, there was no firing him. Khan had someone worth giving a shot and the decision had the backing of the 5 man committee as well as a large portion of the supporter base. Rigg could not have come in and fired him straight away. And, I don't believe for a second that Rigg ever wanted Kit in the manager position. I believe Rigg sat back and let Kit use up the rope he'd been given and waited for him to hang himself with it. When Kit failed to meet his target,.....

Now Rigg's going about setting up Southampton 2, apparently.

My thoughts on it anyway.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

rusty shackleford

I think that if Gray had been made head coach we would have rightfully been pissed off. Surely the fact that he's been brought in to sort out our dogsh1t defence while we look for a proper head coach can only be a good thing?

Its just a shame that another season has been written off but Rome wasnt built in a day!

Beamer

I'm going to take a positive view on this, that Gray is viewed to be more experienced in the short term than Grant (which he clearly is) in order to sort out some of the issues which we are suffering at present, but not considered good and/or proven enough to get the job full-time and that we are seeking someone of a higher calibre and standing because of our committed long term aspirations.
Well, it is nearly Christmas and I can dream can't I.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: rusty shackleford on December 08, 2015, 02:12:48 PM
I think that if Gray had been made head coach we would have rightfully been pissed off. Surely the fact that he's been brought in to sort out our dogsh1t defence while we look for a proper head coach can only be a good thing?

Its just a shame that another season has been written off but Rome wasnt built in a day!

Along that line, we were only ever told that Top 6 was the target. We weren't promised Top 6 though many behave as if we were. Like you say, we are building toward that end and with Kit gone that building process will speed up.

About the above statements, I've been as angry and impatient as much as many others have. So, not saying anything from atop a high horse.

I believe that Fulham still have communication problems and that if they'd choose their opportunities to communicate a bit better and not be so tightlipped with information regarding their ideas and process, there'd be much less angst amongst the supporters. The angst certainly wouldn't disappear. We are an impatient bunch,.....rightfully so in many ways.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

SG

Whats Curbs doing in the mean time. Being paid for seemingly doing not a lot. I wouldn't mind some of that

hovewhite

welcome stuart  to Fulham football club.
think if he can sort out the defensive frailties he will be worth his weight in gold.

Bronaldinho

Quote from: SG on December 08, 2015, 02:29:38 PM
Whats Curbs doing in the mean time. Being paid for seemingly doing not a lot. I wouldn't mind some of that

He's surely got to go.

He was Kit's advisor, and now Kit's gone what's the point?

He said he wanted the job early days, then he didn't even take control of the team in temporary charge.

That to me, shows he's only in it for the money.

If he cared he would have offered his experience to the team while we continued our search.

Later on Curbs.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

andy

How does it take 4 weeks to get it so completely wrong?

BestOfBrede

Quote from: hovewhite on December 08, 2015, 02:37:40 PM
think if he can sort out the defensive frailties he will be worth his weight in gold.
:plus one:

st andrews

Quote from: snarks on December 08, 2015, 01:10:30 PM
Quote from: J.Perkins on December 08, 2015, 01:06:11 PM

Because Kit was a tactically useless and inept manager, going no where.

Harsh, and not particlarly fair, he was so tactically inept, he had the highest win percentage of fulham managers for several years, and before anyone talks about levels you can only do what your up aainst. Also he left the club as the highest scorers in the division.

Yes defence was a problem, an at that he had a blindspot, (bit like Keegan) but not tactically uselss IMHO   
well said

J.Perkins

Quote from: andy on December 08, 2015, 04:29:47 PM
How does it take 4 weeks to get it so completely wrong?

Well, I can't see how hiring a guy with a nouce for defensive coaching is a bad thing.

Dodger53

Kits Achilles heel was the coaching staff. Under 21 coaching for the first team did not work and he didn't fix it.

Carborundum

Quote from: BestOfBrede on December 08, 2015, 05:58:20 PM
Quote from: hovewhite on December 08, 2015, 02:37:40 PM
:plus one:

Welcome Mr Gray.  Hope you enjoy being part of Fulham and wish you every success.

The Swan

Welcome to Fulham Mr Gray. You were not the person that I wanted to take us forward, but I have read how well you got Sheffield Wednesday playing I have now changed my mind about you.

If you can sort out our very poor defence (maybe the worst defence in the Championship).

We have conceded so many goals by simply nor marking the scorers. Turn our defence around and you can have a long contract with Fulham. Good luck.
The Swan

copthornemike

Quote from: Bronaldinho on December 08, 2015, 04:21:14 PM
Quote from: SG on December 08, 2015, 02:29:38 PM

He's surely got to go.

He was Kit's advisor, and now Kit's gone what's the point?

He said he wanted the job early days, then he didn't even take control of the team in temporary charge.

That to me, shows he's only in it for the money.

If he cared he would have offered his experience to the team while we continued our search.

Later on Curbs.
The alternative scenario, and not an unlikely one, is that he did express an interest in the position and he was turned down.