more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Geoff Horsfield - your memories

Started by Kevin_Yahoo, December 08, 2015, 03:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin_Yahoo

Hello there.

Some of you may recall I wrote something on Facundo Sava a few weeks back, and I'm now doing something similar about Geoff Horsefield.
It's a kind of Where Are They Now? thing and I want to get fans' memories about him as a player. Any memories/stories you have - good or bad - please post them here. Doesn't even have to be a story/memory as such, could just be your general view on his time at Craven Cottage. Especially good would be any personal memories you have of meeting him/seeing him around - stuff like that.

I'd want to use some of the your quotes for the article, which will appear on the Yahoo Football website this week. So if you don't want your comments to be used then let me know, and they won't be.

Here's the Sava piece: https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/blast-past-no-14-facundo-115315499.html

Cheers,
Kevin

Kevin_Yahoo

And before anyone points it out, I realise I just spelt his name wrong! (top journalism)

theofulham

i remember watching a league cup game on tv, and alan curbishly described him a world class!

Twig

Never had the pleasure of meeting "The Horse" but I remember his career at FFC very well.  A strong, robust individual he had the ability, back to goal, to hold up the ball and bring others into play.  Also pretty fearless (but not always accurate) with his head as I recall.  Apparently a mate of Micky Adams for whom I will always carry a torch.

Dr Know

Saw geoff at a hayes  v. nuneaton game stuffing his face with a burger and chips. Ffc were playing wolves the next day. a sunday. Also on the terraces that day was terry angus who was at nuneaton but injured  i spoke with terry  top man

RaySmith

Great, wholehearted player for Fulham.

Burt

He was probably the last of our "old school" blood and thunder types as the club progressed towards the premier league years and Tigana favoured a more "sophisticated" sort of player.

I know I am probably generalizing, but that's how I look back on it.

f321ffc

Quote from: Statto on December 08, 2015, 04:35:14 PM
The goal against Spurs, curled inside the far post with the outside of his boot
Yes that goal against Spurs was class, also wasnt there a rumour about his very strong friendship with a certain lady employee of the club.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Fulham76

Scored a couple, (I think), away at Luton one night, a game I was at & which we won 0-4 or 1-4. Remember a cross coming in from the right & Horsfield volleying in with his right foot.
Horsfield for England was the chant from the Fulham fans after that one & when I watched the highlights on tv the commentator agreed.

One Martin Thomas

The initial shock that Tigana did not rate him !  & then I saw Saha !!!!!!!

My Dad met him and he is an arrogant so and so

Horse

He was better than Barry Hayles. As I recall they joined pretty much same time and Hayles couldn't hit the back of the net like Geoff could, Geoff was a classic big poacher, he didn't always look good but he got the ball in the back of the net. He had a bit of a deft touch too though. I remember him dinking a nice chip over defenders and keeper for one of his early goals. Scored a ton of goals in his first season with us.

LBNo11

...I heard the rumour (apart from the in-communicado one) that when Tigana, Damiano and Propos took charge all the players had to undergo a full medical, and had to agree to a full dental check and repair as well as having to agree to a strict dietry programme including alcohol restriction; Geoff, who was fond of his scran and the odd tipple was rumoured to have in effect told Tigana & Co to procreate and visit a taxidermist. His departure was swift and no swan-song, however, when he came back to Craven Cottage playing in Brums colours (strange as he wrecked them at St Andrews a season before, mind you Brum wrecked a few coach windows to even things out) he got a heroes welcome by the FFC faithful.

Old fashioned Center-Forward, rough, tough and no Bluff and as mentioned, capable of deft touches and intelligent creative play, and was very close to playing in an England shirt...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

win-dup

Rather bizarrely met a friend of Geoff's in a hospital ward in Cyprus a few years ago, and he said Geoff had had cancer but was ok and doing well in life as he had invested in property whilst earning good money in football. Loved Super Geoff and wish we had someone like him now.

ffc2004

Not a memory of Super Geoff per se, but I go through stages of naming my online player on FIFA after Fulham strikers - at one point I scored past a team who were Brummies with the Hors, to be greeted through my TV by "Geoff Horsfield?! Ahhhh f*ck sake!"

He was one of my favourite players to watch back in the day though, deceptive feet for a big lad.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

He built me a fantastic wall. Perfectly straight and high!

Didn't need a wall mind, but I can tell good bricklaying when I see it.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

BestOfBrede

I was in Kebab shop late one night with my now wife, and this geezer started ranting and raving that 'I' had taken Halifax best ever striker away. I had my Fulham hat on!

I told him that I wish I had that sort of money and to kindly push off!
(Or words to that effect!)

We had only just bought him and he turned out to be special at that time.

I remember the tongue in cheek 'Horsfield for England' chant very much.

MJG

Quote from: One Martin Thomas on December 08, 2015, 06:30:29 PM
The initial shock that Tigana did not rate him !  & then I saw Saha !!!!!!!

I had that feeling every time we moved up a division from the Adams year onwards.
Those who were great in L3 not so great in L2 and replaced by better, same from L2 to L1 and of course into the Prem.

Horsfield_No9

His goals away at Luton were sublime, it felt like everything he hit would find the back of the net at that point. I remember watching late night highlights on ITV before the internet hosted such things and you could hear the Fulham fans sing "Horsfield for England" I didn't just dream but believed it was within the realms. He was on fire. Just sheer class in attitude and application and my first Fulham hero. I was so sad when Tigana sold him and bought in some Newcastle reject called Saha.
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

epsomraver

A typical " Barnsley boy" went to school with my twin nieces in Barnsley and my older brother used to coach the school football team when he played, we were at a wedding at a hotel in Sheffield in the 90's  where Fulham happened to be staying and my nieces were there, I said the Fulham team were in the next dining room and my niece said " oh there's Geoff" and he got up immediately and came over and gave her a big hug and we had a long chat, never lost his roots that boy, rumoured to have been caught in a compromising position with  high up lady at Brum , heard that from several different sources shame as she is married to another Fulham legend

filham

Tough, wholehearted and scored goals. Geof was a crowd pleaser and we loved him while he was here. Had to go of course as he just did not fit into the Tigana system.