watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Windows 10

Started by f321ffc, December 16, 2015, 06:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toshes mate

As a Fulham born and bred techie here is the best way to move from Windows 7 to Windows 10 retaining all your apps, data etc.  You'll need a Windows 7 DVD with SP1 already added and a USB memstick with 8Gb of space. First download Windows 10 iso from Microsoft site and the bootable usb creation software program called Rufus (it is freeware), and follow instructions for making your bootable usb memstick for the Windows 10 upgrade.

To upgrade Windows 7 successfully you need to ensure your computer copy is reverted to Service Pack 1.  You do this via a non-destructive upgrade using a Windows 7 DVD ( with SP1 already added) by manually (i.e. not autorun) using the DVD whilst already in Windows 7.  First open the DVD folder in Windows explorer (right click and open) and then right click on the setup file (towards the bottom of the lst of files).  From the pop up menu select compatibility and from the drop down list select Vista SP2.  Then make sure the run as administrator box is checked.  Click apply/ok and then click on setup to run it.   It'll take quite a long time for the non-destructive upgrade to complete but when complete you'll be loading Windows 7 like it was the old version except it'll be pristine SP1.   Shut the computer down.  Now the bootable usb memstick you created of Windows 10 can be used.   Plug it into a standard USB2 slot on the back of your computer and switch on.   Get into your bios - normally pressing del or escape or sometimes a function key continually until bios appears.  You need to make sure BIOS is set to boot from the USB stick, which is found under boot options.  Some computer will boot from the stick if you repeatedly press function key f12 from switch on.   Once you have booted from the memstick Windows 10 will start it upgrade process.  It'll take a little less time than the first process but not much.  All in all expect the whole upgrade to take at least two about probably three to four hours depending on the speed of your machine.

If you want a good site https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-7.html covers the lot.  If it was allowed I'd offer my services but there are a lot of people out there who will help you if asked.   

Carborundum

Does anyone know how we reinstall Danny, Dickson, Clint and Digger to our midfield?

Setting flippancy aside, the helpfulness in this thread is appreciated.

shnlwswlkr

I have actually just come back to Windows from a Mac. I've just purchased the HP Envy with Windows 10 and I actually really like the layout, very nice on the eyes and simple!
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

davew

Windows 95 still works for me (lol)! Windows 10 is ok, but the edge browser system, no thanks, so slow and unreliable!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

alfie

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 24, 2016, 03:57:25 AM
My advice is to stick to sending smoke signals, it's quicker, easier, and cheaper, no hackers, no scams, and you keep your sanity.

Totally agree, except of course when you suddenly realise you have run out of matches, it's pouring with rain and the shops are closed.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Logicalman

Quote from: shnlwswlkr on March 25, 2016, 07:29:02 AM
I have actually just come back to Windows from a Mac. I've just purchased the HP Envy with Windows 10 and I actually really like the layout, very nice on the eyes and simple!

The Envy is not a bad machine, I have a two-year old one and it's doing well. Perhaps not so good for online gaming, but it gets me by.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.