watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Top 10 Wingers in our history

Started by dannyboi-ffc, January 26, 2016, 10:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonywa

Nowhere near as big a  fan of Boa as so many here.  Great in our Championship promotion season, less so once we were up and largely a waste of space for his last year or so at the club. Steed, Houghton, Conway and Barrett better players than him by a distance IMHO and Leggatt simply one of the best half-dozen players I've seen in a Fulham shirt.

dannyboi-ffc

Players like Goldbaek, Brooker, Hayward, Hails I considered but if you're being honest who would they replace? If you add Duff and Davies like most others would then you get into the territory of dropping a club great. 
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Dr Know

Quote from: Chutney on January 26, 2016, 12:10:06 PM
Simon Davies and Damien Duff should both be considered, certainly Duff should!
Duff was   as his name suggests   duff .No way him and boa should be in the top 20 .

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Tonywa on January 26, 2016, 03:06:11 PM
Nowhere near as big a  fan of Boa as so many here.  Great in our Championship promotion season, less so once we were up and largely a waste of space for his last year or so at the club. Steed, Houghton, Conway and Barrett better players than him by a distance IMHO and Leggatt simply one of the best half-dozen players I've seen in a Fulham shirt.

That's why Leggatt is number 1! I had to have Boa in there, he was my hero growing up. But the others you mentioned are in there.

Are you a big Duff fan too? Don't get me wrong I really liked Duff. He was great for us but compared to Steed or Boa.... not for me.

Like I said start adding Boa, Steed, Dempsey, Davies, Duff, Goldbaek and Brooker then we might as well all pack up our bags and say farewell to our history. Next someone will be heartbroken Kaca didn't make the grade lol........too far Danny........too far!

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

filham

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 26, 2016, 02:32:13 PM
Should have remembered George Best. Davies I can understand the fuss but Duff??? If we are talking the greatest 10. I thought people would realise and be open minded that anyone who played on the left or right of midfield and not in the middle would be classed as on the wing. Maybe I should have been more specific.

Leggatt was an outside forward. So he counts. 

I'm actually gobsmacked at the calls for Duff. I didn't even consider him. I don't think he was better for Fulham than any of those from what I've been told and my own experiences. The only one he could beat for me is Dempsey.

It's very difficult to come up with a 10 when I've only seen from 94 onwards and even then I was only 6 years old. I thought by adding Duff and Davies over people like Mitten and Conway that I would be seen as very biased to my own era. And personally I didn't think Duff was better than  Davies anyway.

At least it's got you debating anyway.
Dannieboi,
If you cannot see why we a lot of us are top listing Duff then we are becoming a little worried about you. Duffy had over 100 international caps, a great attitude, never in any trouble, a good work rate, could score goals, great ball control, gave sweet passes , could attack defenders and was rarely caught in possession.
And more importantly most of the time he was with us he was my favourite.

filham

Quote from: Tonywa on January 26, 2016, 03:06:11 PM

Just remember the buzz of expectation  that used to go around the crowd when Boa received the ball in an attacking position.

Tonywa

Danny I thought Duff was very good for FFC and did a great job both attacking and covering further back, very much like Digger Davies in fact. It's so difficult comparing players from different eras, particularly when discussing wide areas as the roles have changed so much with today's footballers being required to do so much more than those when I started watching in the 'sixties. I think Boa was at his best in the Championship when he almost played at times as a second striker rather than the more conventional winger he was in the Prem.

Holders

Barrett, Barrett, Barrett, Barrett, Barrett, Barrett, Duff, Chamberlain, Conway, Boa.

I rate Steed and Davies but didn't class them as wingers as such.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

colinwhite

A winger for me is a wide man who stays wide and the main part of his game is putting balls into the box, or cutting in and shooting ,but primarily crossing from the bi -line.
To me Leggat was an inside forward (offensive midfielder ),  Boa was a second striker, and dempsey played widest in a midfield butwasnt a winger. Steed was an offensive midfielder.
Our top 5 wingers fo rme were:
1.Barratt/Conway (cant seperate these 2)
2Duff
3.Marinello

I cant think fof that many wingers we have had.

filham

You know I was a bit upset when I though Dannyboi had accidently let Duff off his list but I am now shocked to learn that it was deliberate, he has lost a lot of brownie points over this.

Seriously though , what this thread makes us remember is how exciting a good winger is and what a difference they can make to a team. Most of those mentioned above served us well and held their positions for a long time whereas currently we are trying Kaca, Pringle, Kavanagh, Cairney, LVC, Fredericks and Williams in the two wide positions. Oh for a couple of those players from the past.

Holders

For me, Fredericks is the closest we have to a proper winger (in the Tosh/Barrett mould) at the moment.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

cheerupjimmyhill

Quote from: St Eve on January 26, 2016, 12:28:33 PM
George Best, Peter Marinello

Yes that marinello / Guthrie combination was great for a while.

spikey norman

Quote from: cheerupjimmyhill on January 26, 2016, 06:29:28 PM
Quote from: St Eve on January 26, 2016, 12:28:33 PM
George Best, Peter Marinello

Yes that marinello / Guthrie combination was great for a while.
Darren Freeman was quite a decent winger.
He  and Micky Conroy were a good combo too.
Little known fact is that Darren scored the first goal in the new millenium

cmg

Johnny Key, a genuine winger, was one of those players who divided the opinions of the fans. He was capable of some brilliance but, I think it fair to say, was inconsistent. He could be accommodated on the right because Leggat was just as effective on the left.

It didn't seem to bother the amazing Leggat which number he wore on his back. He wore no.7 110 times (give or take) and scored 50 goals. No.11 - 55 - 29, no.9 - 46 - 26, no.8 - 43 - 20, no.10 - 4 - 4. [I'm 2 goals out on official totals, but you get the picture]

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Dodger53 on January 26, 2016, 01:21:28 PM
I don't really remember Johnny Key but I do remember listening to my dads opinion of him on the way home from the match and they were never complimentary.

I remember Johnny Key, we nick named him padlock. He was fairly fast, and scored the odd goal, but I would probably agree with your dad, poor old padlock, I don't want to be harsh, but if my memory serves me correctly, he couldn't beat a carpet, or trap a bag of cement, head a search party or foul a foot path, or tackle a boiled egg, unfortunately. But he tried and worked hard.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

LBNo11

...has anybody mentioned Les Barrett? Yes, oh in that case I agree. Best winger next to Jimmy Conway I have ever seen.

Les Barrett wore the number 11 shirt by the way - and signed my avatar as it happens...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Woolly Mammoth

For me Les Barrett was as good as any regular winger we have ever had. A great servant with a heart the size of a football, with his pace, every time he got the ball, the crowd surged with expectation. He generaly made something happen.
A Fulham great, I only wish he was on the wing for Fulham now.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Statto on January 26, 2016, 03:32:32 PM
Also amazed Duff isn't there!

The team that achieved our highest ever finish and the Europa Cup final the following season has a strong claim to being our best team ever so surely you have to put either Davies or Duff in the top 10.

For me it's Duff hands down. Not only the best winger in that team but also the best finisher and the person I always wanted the ball to fall to in the box.( Much better in front of goal than Zamora)

My main memory of Steed is some opposition fans throwing something at him when he was prepared to take a corner once, then him gently tapping the corner kick straight behind the goal because he was too phased to take a proper run-up/corner.

My response to this and to Filham. If we are going to use Duff's 100 caps for Ireland as a reason then we open a can of worms. Thank goodness we've already discussed top 10 keepers as Kiraly has 101 caps for Hungary.

If we are to include Duff and Davies just because they were part of our greatest ever era/team does that mean Etuhu makes the top 10 midfielders amongst the likes of Haynes, Mullery and Murphy? 

I liked Duff a lot and thought he was very good for Fulham and an important role in that team. But that team was a team, not fantastic individuals. In fact imo only Hangeland and Murphy have earned the recognition as all time legends up there with the very best.  It was a team where everyone played their part and in my eyes Duff was no more special than Gera or Zamora and both would struggle to make it into my top 10 forwards.

Where as most of the players I picked might not have played in teams that achieved what Duff did but as an individual they were a better player for whatever reason.  I need someone old enough to have seen most of these play to say whether Duff should be in there, very difficult for me to say for sure. Maybe all the oldies I learn from.  Have been lying to me all along.

Oh and Filham don't worry about me mate. It's not like Damien is an omen or anything..............

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Statto on January 26, 2016, 09:07:21 PM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 26, 2016, 08:53:12 PM
If we are to include Duff and Davies just because they were part of our greatest ever era/team does that mean Etuhu makes the top 10 midfielders amongst the likes of Haynes, Mullery and Murphy? 

The best players from our best ever team must be in any best ever lists. Simple. Schwarzer in top 10 goalkeepers. Hangeland in top 10 Defenders. Murphy in top 10 central midfielders (or top 10 captains... or top 10 penalty takers). Dempsey in top 10 forwards. Duff in top 10 wingers. Hodgson in top 10 managers. Al Fayed in top 10 chairmen. Juventus at home in top 10 games... etc etc

Very simplistic way to analyse it. What about Etuhu like I asked you? Or Baird? Or Konchesky?  Or Greening who started that Juventus game you mention? Are they all in the 'best ever' for their positions.

Might as well take down the statue of Johnny Haynes because he didn't feature and put up one of Bjorn Helga Riise for his 2 wonder crosses vs Basel.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

filham

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 26, 2016, 09:33:26 PM
Quote from: Statto on January 26, 2016, 09:07:21 PM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 26, 2016, 08:53:12 PM

The best players from our best ever team must be in any best ever lists. Simple. Schwarzer in top 10 goalkeepers. Hangeland in top 10 Defenders. Murphy in top 10 central midfielders (or top 10 captains... or top 10 penalty takers). Dempsey in top 10 forwards. Duff in top 10 wingers. Hodgson in top 10 managers. Al Fayed in top 10 chairmen. Juventus at home in top 10 games... etc etc

Very simplistic way to analyse it. What about Etuhu like I asked you? Or Baird? Or Konchesky?  Or Greening who started that Juventus game you mention? Are they all in the 'best ever' for their positions.

Might as well take down the statue of Johnny Haynes because he didn't feature and put up one of Bjorn Helga Riise for his 2 wonder crosses vs Basel.

Dannyboi,
I have seen all our wingers from Tosh to Pringle and,like most of us,  believe Duff is up there with the best, your resistance on this one is a little disturbing and perhaps you should show penance, perhaps watching an eight hour video on Pringle would be apt.