watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Top 10 Wingers in our history

Started by dannyboi-ffc, January 26, 2016, 10:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

Right let's give this a go. Obviously by wingers I mean outside left and right fro  the old fashioned formations.

1) Leggatt
2) Barrett
3) Stevens
4) Boa Morte
5) Mitten
6) Houghton
7) Conway
8) Steed
9) O'Driscoll
10) Clint Dempsey

Steed as far as I remember played the majority on the right side as we had players like Clark, Leggy and Sean in the middle. And whilst Dempsey also wasn't a 'winger' he played 90% of his games on the left.

Bit harsh on Simon Davies. Didn't know enough about Barry Lloyd so any info on him would be great. Other than that, again a pretty decent 10 that we should be proud of.

Anyone who shouldn't be there or more importantly should be? Who would they replace? And who have I been harsh/generous on with their position.

Over to you

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

gerrys

Barry Lloyd wore the number 10 shirt, making him inside-left.

snarks

Not sure I'd include Dempsey, but I would include Duff

e4b

filham

Dannyboi, how could you possibly leave Duff of your list, some kind of punishment is needed for such an indiscretion.

1. Boa
2. Dufff
3.Mitten
4.Leggat
5.Stevens
6. Barret
7.Steed
8.Houghton
9. Conway
10.Dempsey

I have left out my all time favourite, Tosh. To put him in  list in any other position than number one would diminish
the true value I hold for him but I can't in all honesty take Boa of the top spot.

I have therefore left Tosh off the list but he will quickly be placed top of the list of most loveable players.

Chutney

Simon Davies and Damien Duff should both be considered, certainly Duff should!
C O Y W

RaySmith

Tosh Chamberlain, Johnny Key, Brian 'Pat' O'Connell, who took over Tosh's role, Peter Marinello, briefly at Fulham. who'd been the new Geoge Best, coming from Scotland to Arsenal with much fanfare, though in the end he only matched Best in the self destructive, boozing stakes.

I also think of Duff as a winger, but not Dempsey. The thing is you don't really get wingers in the old sense - players who mainly hugged the touchline, and sped down it, beating the full back -hopefully - and supplying crosses for strikers.

RaySmith

Can't modify posts - but George Best was a brilliant winger, of course, though he didn't play as one for Fulham - more a  midfield role.

St Eve

Quote from: gerrys on January 26, 2016, 11:11:05 AM
Barry Lloyd wore the number 10 shirt, making him inside-left.
Not a winger

St Eve

davew

Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

filham

Quote from: davew on January 26, 2016, 12:33:47 PM
What about George Best????
Of course Best was the greatest but was wiith us for less than a season, didn't play as a conventional winger and if you take length of service and loyalty into account I would rather have any of those other players that have been mentioned.

nose

dempsey should never be on any top 10 list
simon davies was brilliant and deserves to be there
was leggatt a winger, I thought he was more of an inside forward
Duff was brilliant but what bout clive walker, he was also brilliant (half the time and the other half hopeless)
Houghton for sure top class... barrett and conway about equal
o driscoll, I do not think so, hje was lucky to be in a great team and his shortcomings masked.
marinello was awful and best didn't player as a winger for us.
steed absolutely deserves to be in the list

Dodger53

I don't really remember Johnny Key but I do remember listening to my dads opinion of him on the way home from the match and they were never complimentary.

fulhamfan

you've missed out Duff and Simon Davies you plonker

Twig

Tosh Chamberlain number one for me.  Duff and Davies for sure.  One other wide player worth an honourable mention has to be Bjarne Goldbeak. 

Barrett487

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 26, 2016, 10:43:08 AM
Right let's give this a go. Obviously by wingers I mean outside left and right fro  the old fashioned formations.

1) Leggatt
2) Barrett
3) Stevens
4) Boa Morte
5) Mitten
6) Houghton
7) Conway
8) Steed
9) O'Driscoll
10) Clint Dempsey

Steed as far as I remember played the majority on the right side as we had players like Clark, Leggy and Sean in the middle. And whilst Dempsey also wasn't a 'winger' he played 90% of his games on the left.

Bit harsh on Simon Davies. Didn't know enough about Barry Lloyd so any info on him would be great. Other than that, again a pretty decent 10 that we should be proud of.

Anyone who shouldn't be there or more importantly should be? Who would they replace? And who have I been harsh/generous on with their position.

Over to you

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It's not easy putting a list of wingers togethers, as there are a few who could be considered to have 'tended to play on the right or left side of midfield' that wouldn't be considered a traditional style winger. For me, it's also hard to include or exclude players before my time. On that basis i suggest the following list.

1/ Graham Leggatt
2/ Les Barrett
3/ Tosh Chamberlain
4/ Jimmy Conway
5/ Luis Boa Morte
6/ Arthur Stevens
7/ Charlie Mitten
8/ Damian Duff
9/ Simon Davies
10/ George Best

I didn't feel that i could leave Best out, despite being with us for such a short time, but the nine above him were more influential.

dannyboi-ffc

Should have remembered George Best. Davies I can understand the fuss but Duff??? If we are talking the greatest 10. I thought people would realise and be open minded that anyone who played on the left or right of midfield and not in the middle would be classed as on the wing. Maybe I should have been more specific.

Leggatt was an outside forward. So he counts. 

I'm actually gobsmacked at the calls for Duff. I didn't even consider him. I don't think he was better for Fulham than any of those from what I've been told and my own experiences. The only one he could beat for me is Dempsey.

It's very difficult to come up with a 10 when I've only seen from 94 onwards and even then I was only 6 years old. I thought by adding Duff and Davies over people like Mitten and Conway that I would be seen as very biased to my own era. And personally I didn't think Duff was better than  Davies anyway.

At least it's got you debating anyway.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

FPT

I've read all of these posts you've done Danny, and to be fair, you've tried to take into account the entire history.

I'm 20, so I can't look much further than Davies, Duff, Dempsey (perhaps not an actual winger but played left more often than not) Boa Morte, Malbranque etc.

GorgeousGus

Paul Brooker - Julian Hails - even in the dark old days we had one or two - although the opposition were respectively poorer.

Terry Parmenter, Bobby Howfield (4 against Ipswich in the 10-1 game) Bjarne Goldbaek
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff."