Top 10 Wingers in our history

Started by dannyboi-ffc, January 26, 2016, 10:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: filham on January 26, 2016, 10:25:29 PM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 26, 2016, 09:33:26 PM
Quote from: Statto on January 26, 2016, 09:07:21 PM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 26, 2016, 08:53:12 PM
If we are to include Duff and Davies just because they were part of our greatest ever era/team does that mean Etuhu makes the top 10 midfielders amongst the likes of Haynes, Mullery and Murphy? 

The best players from our best ever team must be in any best ever lists. Simple. Schwarzer in top 10 goalkeepers. Hangeland in top 10 Defenders. Murphy in top 10 central midfielders (or top 10 captains... or top 10 penalty takers). Dempsey in top 10 forwards. Duff in top 10 wingers. Hodgson in top 10 managers. Al Fayed in top 10 chairmen. Juventus at home in top 10 games... etc etc

Very simplistic way to analyse it. What about Etuhu like I asked you? Or Baird? Or Konchesky?  Or Greening who started that Juventus game you mention? Are they all in the 'best ever' for their positions.

Might as well take down the statue of Johnny Haynes because he didn't feature and put up one of Bjorn Helga Riise for his 2 wonder crosses vs Basel.

Dannyboi,
I have seen all our wingers from Tosh to Pringle and,like most of us,  believe Duff is up there with the best, your resistance on this one is a little disturbing and perhaps you should show penance, perhaps watching an eight hour video on Pringle would be apt.

Disturbing? Lol. I haven't said I don't like Duff. Just clearly don't rate him as highly as you. If you didn't rate Johnny Haynes, that's just your opinion. I certainly wouldn't say you've lost brownie points or that it was disturbing.

I can't get my head around anyone who doesn't rate Boa Morte but everyone is different.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

fulhamben

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 26, 2016, 10:30:53 PM
If we are to include Duff and Davies just because they were part of our greatest ever era/team does that mean Etuhu makes the top 10 midfielders amongst the likes of Haynes, Mullery and Murphy? 

The best players from our best ever team must be in any best ever lists. Simple. Schwarzer in top 10 goalkeepers. Hangeland in top 10 Defenders. Murphy in top 10 central midfielders (or top 10 captains... or top 10 penalty takers). Dempsey in top 10 forwards. Duff in top 10 wingers. Hodgson in top 10 managers. Al Fayed in top 10 chairmen. Juventus at home in top 10 games... etc etc

Very simplistic way to analyse it. What about Etuhu like I asked you? Or Baird? Or Konchesky?  Or Greening who started that Juventus game you mention? Are they all in the 'best ever' for their positions.

Might as well take down the statue of Johnny Haynes because he didn't feature and put up one of Bjorn Helga Riise for his 2 wonder crosses vs Basel.

Dannyboi,
I have seen all our wingers from Tosh to Pringle and,like most of us,  believe Duff is up there with the best, your resistance on this one is a little disturbing and perhaps you should show penance, perhaps watching an eight hour video on Pringle would be apt.

Disturbing? Lol. I haven't said I don't like Duff. Just clearly don't rate him as highly as you. If you didn't rate Johnny Haynes, that's just your opinion. I certainly wouldn't say you've lost brownie points or that it was disturbing.

I can't get my head around anyone who doesn't rate Boa Morte but everyone is different.
who on gods earth doesn't rate boa?
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: fulhamben on January 26, 2016, 10:35:28 PM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 26, 2016, 10:30:53 PM

Dannyboi,

who on gods earth doesn't rate boa?

Can't remember who said it. It's in this thread somewhere. But that's just their opinion. Not rating Duff amongst our all time greats is hardly a crime.

I'm looking forward to the reaction when Lawrie Sanchez is crowned number one on the top 10 managers list lol

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Statto on January 26, 2016, 11:42:08 PM

Well I said "the best players", not "all", ie the best in each position. So no, to be fair, not Etuhu, Baird... or Greening (who definitely did NOT play in that Juventus game btw)

I would class Davies as the better winger so don't really see your point. If you asked 100 fulham fans who was better Brede or Hughes,  Murphy or Etuhu it would be an overwhelming majority. Ask Duff or Davies and I think it would be pretty split. That to me doesn't suggest Duff was among the best in that line up. For me Schwarzer, Brede, Murphy and Zamora/ Gera were the biggest influences during that season but it was a team effort so Duff certainly played his part.

I stand corrected Greening didn't play in that game. Baird did instead.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: spikey norman on January 26, 2016, 06:45:02 PM
Quote from: cheerupjimmyhill on January 26, 2016, 06:29:28 PM
Quote from: St Eve on January 26, 2016, 12:28:33 PM
George Best, Peter Marinello

Yes that marinello / Guthrie combination was great for a while.
Darren Freeman was quite a decent winger.
He  and Micky Conroy were a good combo too.
Little known fact is that Darren scored the first goal in the new millenium

I really liked Darren. But when I speak to other fans about that season they aren't so keen which always puzzles me. Another player plagued by injuries.

That's a great fact to know. Wouldn't have got that if you gave me 50 guesses

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Forever Fulham

What's tripping me up here is the attempt to distinguish a "winger" from an outside mid.  I get that "winger" conjures up images of the guy who makes endless runs up and down the line, breaks away from his man just enough to center it to the box and waiting teammates.  But isn't that an awfully narrow view of the position?  An outside mid is supposed to do all of that and more.  Nowadays, it's more common to find players who are hybrids of several player positions on the pitch.  Like Dempsey.  Neither animal, vegetable, or mineral.  Starts on the side, but drifts in.  Not a speed merchant, so not your classic "winger".  But effective?  Holds our record in the Prem for goals, so to suggest excluding him from the list seems a little odd.  But towards the end of his run with the club, he was often put up top, or in  attacking mid.  Definitely not a winger then.  I loved Duff.  He'll always be in my top ten on the outside.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Statto on January 27, 2016, 12:23:32 AM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 27, 2016, 12:03:16 AM
Quote from: Statto on January 26, 2016, 11:42:08 PM

Well I said "the best players", not "all", ie the best in each position. So no, to be fair, not Etuhu, Baird... or Greening (who definitely did NOT play in that Juventus game btw)

I would class Davies as the better winger so don't really see your point. If you asked 100 fulham fans who was better Brede or Hughes,  Murphy or Etuhu it would be an overwhelming majority. Ask Duff or Davies and I think it would be pretty split. That to me doesn't suggest Duff was among the best in that line up. For me Schwarzer, Brede, Murphy and Zamora/ Gera were the biggest influences during that season but it was a team effort so Duff certainly played his part.

I stand corrected Greening didn't play in that game. Baird did instead.

but davies isn't in your top 10 either...?!
and yet Hughes, konchesky and dempsey have all made it into your top 10s so far even though schwarzer, Brede, Murphy and Zamora/ Gera were bigger influences during that season... ?

The answer to that is simple. IMO the field for this category had far more strength in depth than fullbacks for example. At no point was I getting into Paul Brooker territory whereas I started considering Robbie Herrera for fullback which seemed unfair on Konchesky. 

When options are limited I think your argument for achievement comes into play. But when the individuals are so strong I don't think it's as straight forward as to say 'Duff played in the Europa League final' and Les Barrett didn't. 

Don't know why I bother replying to you. You're the type who has an answer for everything. I didn't put Duff in my top 10, get over it. It would be interesting to see your top 10.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

spikey norman

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 27, 2016, 12:19:54 AM
Quote from: spikey norman on January 26, 2016, 06:45:02 PM
Quote from: cheerupjimmyhill on January 26, 2016, 06:29:28 PM
Quote from: St Eve on January 26, 2016, 12:28:33 PM
George Best, Peter Marinello

Yes that marinello / Guthrie combination was great for a while.
Darren Freeman was quite a decent winger.
He  and Micky Conroy were a good combo too.
Little known fact is that Darren scored the first goal in the new millenium

I really liked Darren. But when I speak to other fans about that season they aren't so keen which always puzzles me. Another player plagued by injuries.

That's a great fact to know. Wouldn't have got that if you gave me 50 guesses

Two other wingers I liked but also divided opinion were Clive Walker and Peter O'Sullivan.