watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Top 10 Midfielders including......

Started by dannyboi-ffc, January 27, 2016, 07:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

Top 10 in our history of players that didn't play close to the left or right touchline, didn't play as an out an out striker, didn't play as an out and out centre back, didn't play as a keeper but did play their most recognised position somewhere close to the middle of the pitch and could if you use a bit of imagination or open mindedness given the fact some positions don't exist anymore, be classed as a midfielder.

1) Haynes
2) Mullery
3) Murphy
4) Jim Hammond
5) Bobby Robson
6) Steed
7) Sean Davis
8) Lee Clark
9) Dembele
10) Slough/ Wilson

From what I'm told Jimmy Hill wasn't the greatest of players and Gera was in the 10 until I realised Jim Hammond and Bobby Robson probably suited this category best.

Didn't put much thought into this one. So feel free to go on and on if someone you really rate isn't there. But at least tell me who they should replace.  It's all about opinions.

Changed Barry Lloyd for Steed and moved everyone down one. If we are classing Steed as a midfielder and not a wide player then he has to be there imo

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Holders

I love your opening paragraph! Have you ever thought of writing procedure documents for the DHSS?

Agree with your first three but would never put Barry Lloyd in this list, Danny, and I accept that you probably didn't see him play! Would include Steed and Fernandes, maybe also Dempsey, unless your very strict criteria rule them out.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Holders on January 27, 2016, 07:49:55 AM
I love your opening paragraph! Have you ever thought of writing procedure documents for the DHSS?

Agree with your first three but would never put Barry Lloyd in this list, Danny, and I accept that you probably didn't see him play! Would include Steed and Fernandes, maybe also Dempsey, unless your very strict criteria rule them out.

Dempsey played wide left so he doesn't really count.  Steed was one of those that drifted where he wanted. I always associated him as wide right but he could be considered for this. And if I'd considered him then he would defo be there.

Never seen Barry play. Few people were making noises about him the other day and he played a lot of games so I put 2 and 2 together and probably got 5.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

dannyboi-ffc

Changed it and swapped Barry for Steed. Cheers Holders.

Last change to make is finding a place for Duff. Maybe at number 1 lol

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Holders

I remember Lloyd being pretty ineffective. Mullery's goal of the season that year came from a Lloyd sliced shot that went sideways. He once took a penalty that was so poor that the goalie was able to recover from going the wrong way, wander over and pick it up.

Holders

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Holders on January 27, 2016, 08:23:49 AM
Maybe Stan Brown?

He was going to be in my top 10 forwards. Don't tell me he was an inside forward/more of a midfielder type too lol.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

fulhamben

Papa bouba Diop was the best dm/cm that I've seen in a Fulham shirt
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: fulhamben on January 27, 2016, 08:43:36 AM

He'd be in my top 15. I didn't think he was consistent enough to make the top 10. He had 1 very good season in his first year when he scored the screamers against utd and Chelsea.  But from what I remember he fizzled out after that. Bit similar to Riether, the difference being Diop was just not as good after the first year. Where as Riether was a disgrace

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

fulhamben

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 27, 2016, 08:51:17 AM

He'd be in my top 15. I didn't think he was consistent enough to make the top 10. He had 1 very good season in his first year when he scored the screamers against utd and Chelsea.  But from what I remember he fizzled out after that. Bit similar to Riether, the difference being Diop was just not as good after the first year. Where as Riether was a disgrace

well I know who I would stick in cm if it were out of papa steed or Davis.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: fulhamben on January 27, 2016, 08:54:40 AM

You thought Diop was a better player than Davis and Steed? Really? What's your top 10 of our history?

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

fulhamben

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 27, 2016, 08:58:02 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on January 27, 2016, 08:54:40 AM

You thought Diop was a better player than Davis and Steed? Really? What's your top 10 of our history?
steed was a rm and you know it. And yes I thought papa was much better than Sean.

spikey norman

Chutney

Sean Davis was with us through the divisions and was a major part of the team that took us to the prem, he is infinitely more worthy of a place in our top 10 than diop.

On a side note, I don't think he's top 10 material but I also loved Sylvain Legwinski!
C O Y W

Dr Know

Quote from: spikey norman on January 27, 2016, 09:03:36 AM
Ray Houghton
Loved his energy
Agreed. And what about Nick Cusack a fine passer of a ball.

Holders

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 27, 2016, 08:28:36 AM
Quote from: Holders on January 27, 2016, 08:23:49 AM
Maybe Stan Brown?

He was going to be in my top 10 forwards. Don't tell me he was an inside forward/more of a midfielder type too lol.

He played every position on the pitch but when I saw him he was being used as a defensive midfielder.

fulhamben

Quote from: Chutney on January 27, 2016, 09:11:59 AM
Sean Davis was with us through the divisions and was a major part of the team that took us to the prem, he is infinitely more worthy of a place in our top 10 than diop.

On a side note, I don't think he's top 10 material but I also loved Sylvain Legwinski!
wasn't Diop with us when we had our first ever top ten finish? Surely a much greater achievement than than our climb up the lower leagues

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: fulhamben on January 27, 2016, 09:37:05 AM

wasn't Diop with us when we had our first ever top ten finish? Surely a much greater achievement than than our climb up the lower leagues

And this attitude is why so many are devastated and speak about our current situation as a 'crisis'. Winning two championships both with 101 points, becoming the first and only side ever in England to achieve 100 points twice and not forgetting the heroes of Micky Adams and Co.  And to do it all in 5 years is far more incredible than finishing 9th.

Come on Ben, I liked Diop too but you're clutching at straws brushing off our 3 promotions to justify Diop.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

dannyboi-ffc

Few responses to posts.

I do agree Steed is a RM but he wasn't as concrete in that position as Boa or Davies and I suppose I better mention Duff. He drifted where he wanted and people argued he wasn't suitable for the winger category. So he has to fit in somewhere.

All my life I have been told Ray Houghton was a winger or put in simple terms, played on the left/right of a midfield. If this is true then he can't be considered as a central type midfielder.

Does anyone believe Nick Cusack deserves a place in the top 10? Who does he replace. Happy to edit this if enough people deem him worthy.

I liked leggy too but I agree top 10 is beyond him. Certainly top 25, without doing my homework I'd guess top 20 might be a push. He'd possibly sneak in.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

fulhamben

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 27, 2016, 09:44:10 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on January 27, 2016, 09:37:05 AM

And this attitude is why so many are devastated and speak about our current situation as a 'crisis'. Winning two championships both with 101 points, becoming the first and only side ever in England to achieve 100 points twice and not forgetting the heroes of Micky Adams and Co.  And to do it all in 5 years is far more incredible than finishing 9th.

Come on Ben, I liked Diop too but you're clutching at straws brushing off our 3 promotions to justify Diop.
so was winning the old 3Rd division a bigger achievement than being runners up of the Europa league? Football is all about winning and going as far as you can. If there is no recognition for your best ever season at the time then what's the point. The two cup final teams should be struck from memory because they didn't actually win?