watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Top 10 managers in our history

Started by dannyboi-ffc, January 30, 2016, 08:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

Everyone will disagree on this, everyone will favour a manager for sentiment like the era they started supporting, or class a different achievement as more important to the ones I pick, some will question why Duff isn't there lol. Don't know why I actually posted it to be honest.......

Oh and before anyone asks, Harry Bradshaw was our first ever manager. We won the southern league 2nd division twice but for some reason wasn't promoted the first time. Then we won the southern league 1st division twice, reached the semi final of the FA Cup for the first time and gained entry to the football league.

1) Roy Hodgson
2) Jean Tigana
3) Alec Stock
4) Malcolm McDonald
5) Micky Adams
6) Bedford Jezzard
7) Bill Dodgin Jnr
8) Kevin Keegan
9) Harry Bradshaw
10) Chris Coleman/ Bill Dodgin Snr

Wasn't sure whether to add Bobby Campbell, Phil Kelso (no one will have seen his team), Bill Dodgin Jnr, Ray Harford ....................and Kit Symons lol

Debate away ladies and gents  049:gif
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

spikey norman

Ray Lewington deserve a mention (and a medal) if only for the fact that he kept us going during all the turmoil of Clay/Bulstride and prospect of merging with qpr and no money to spend on players.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: spikey norman on January 30, 2016, 08:32:29 AM
Ray Lewington deserve a mention (and a medal) if only for the fact that he kept us going during all the turmoil of Clay/Bulstride and prospect of merging with qpr and no money to spend on players.

Yeah that's fair. It's just hard when narrowing down to just 10. Would you actually put him in the 10 or are you just acknowledging him?

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

spikey norman

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 30, 2016, 08:44:29 AM
Quote from: spikey norman on January 30, 2016, 08:32:29 AM

Yeah that's fair. It's just hard when narrowing down to just 10. Would you actually put him in the 10 or are you just acknowledging him?
Probably not top 10 but a great servant to the club.
Now if you did a top 10 assistant managers list then yes right near the top.

Dr Know

Danny.   Small point but it was Vic Buckingham.Also no mention of Ray Wilkins.     Good i never liked him anyway

Alexis

No room for Mark Hughes? Not the best of breakups, but we'd be in a much better place if he stuck around.
Fulham 来了!

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Alexis on January 30, 2016, 09:03:47 AM
No room for Mark Hughes? Not the best of breakups, but we'd be in a much better place if he stuck around.

Unfortunately no. Not because he wasn't good enough.  But the others either showed great dedication to the club or achieved something special. Finishing 8th taking over a squad of European finalists and adding the quality of Dembele isn't outstanding compared to what others achieved. Some on a shoe string

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Dr Know on January 30, 2016, 08:59:29 AM
Danny.   Small point but it was Vic Buckingham.Also no mention of Ray Wilkins.     Good i never liked him anyway

Yeah thanks for that. It was a typo error,  C and V are next to eachother.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Peabody

Roy Hodgson
Jean Tigana
Dugald Livingston
Bedford Jezzard
Malcolm MacDonald
Mark Hughes
Micky Adams
Ray Lewington
Kevin Keegan
Frank Osborne

But Vic Buckingham....Never

Tonywa

Vic Buckingham probably did more harm to the Fulham squad than anyone in my time prior to Felix Magath. While he did buy Alan Clarke and Jimmy Conway, so many fine players were shown the door during his tenure including Leggatt, Langley and Cook.

Dr Know

Quote from: Peabody on January 30, 2016, 09:29:59 AM
Roy Hodgson
Jean Tigana
Dugald Livingston
Bedford Jezzard
Malcolm MacDonald
Mark Hughes
Micky Adams
Ray Lewington
Kevin Keegan
Frank Osborne

But Vic Buckingham....Never

Likewise kevin keegan

filham

Roy Hodgson
John Tigana
Beddy Jezzard
Malcolm Mac.
Alex Stock
Mickey Adams
Doug Livingston
Bill Dodgin (Jnr.)
Ray Lewington
Frank Osborne

My top two are almost everyones top two and their work is still fresh in most memories. Of course they were both great in different ways and we would all wish to see their likes again.

However' I did hesitate a while and seriously considered putting Beddy Jezzard top of my list. Beddy was manager for six seasons, won promotion to the top flight in his first season and kept us up for his other five seasons We endured a few Great Escapes in his time but the football was always attractive and he operated on a shoe string budget. He was never associated with any other senior professional club, a true Fulham man.

VicHalomsLovechild

Which season are we talking about?

bill taylors apprentice

i agree with the comments about Buckingham, he would be near the top of of a list of WORST managers.

He had a great pedigree and should have been a good fit with FFC but it was a disaster as he rubbed the players up the wrong way and never earned the teams respect, although Bobby Robson was a prote'ge' .

dannyboi-ffc

Interesting to see you all agree on Vic Buckingham. Our highest finish at the time was achieved the year he was at the club. Did he leave just before that then?

I'll change him and shift everyone up one. I'm not happy knowing the people who witnessed it think he is terrible. I think the number one and two will be pretty straight forward with most of us I'd imagine.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Peabody

Unfortunately, Buckingham struggled with us. Firstly, he and Rodney Marsh never got on and he virtually gave him away to QPR,. He claimed he needed the £15k to get Allen Clark, then when he did get AC he didn't pick for quite a few weeks. Then, a bit like Magath, he got rid of quite a few of our star players, there were some rumours at the time that he and Johnny Haynes didn't get on but he didn't dare get rid of JH. Biggest crime in my opinion was when he let Graham Leggatt leave for Birmingham.

Jims Dentist

Dr K, I have a feeling that I could regret asking the question, but, what have you got against Ray Wilkins and KK?

colinwhite

Bobby Robson  was undoubtedly one of the best managers that we have had . He inherited and ageing team and we had sold Clarke which meant he lost our best forward. Had a terrible season with us ,but typical Fulham that we sacked sir Bobby!

MikeW

Has to be Roy, Keegan and Bobby Rob with Lew a close 4th.  They all moved on the England.  Can any other club boast that?
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

cmg

Quote from: MikeW on January 31, 2016, 07:11:15 PM
Has to be Roy, Keegan and Bobby Rob with Lew a close 4th.  They all moved on the England.  Can any other club boast that?

It's an impressive record.

Like Robson, we also sacked Jimmy Hogan (apparently the players didn't like being coached) who is recognized as one of the most influential coaches in the history of German, Austrian, Swiss and especially Hungarian football. The President of the Hungarian 'Golden Team' of the 50s, possibly the greatest in the history of the sport said, 'Jimmy Hogan taught us everything we  know about football'.