News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

FA Cup To Be Turned Into Midweek Competition?

Started by Mince n Tatties, February 16, 2016, 02:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

Talks are taking place between the FA and Premier
League Giants,and replays to be scrapped as well.
This is to satisfy the Big clubs who are as they say playing
Too many games.
Also talk of a winter shutdown.
What about the little clubs who rely on gate money
from replays..

Chutney

This makes me feel sick, but money talks at the end of the day and if these "giants" want something they'll get it.
C O Y W

westcliff white

not overly worried about midweek and no replays, statistically small clubs have more chance of winning in the first game than they do in a reply so getting extra time straight away may help them to get through to the next round.

I am though totally against a winter break, the logic it helps reduce injuries doesn't wash with me, all teams would still have  the same amount of league games to play but in a reduced period as they would have 2 weeks less in which to play them.
Every day is a Fulham day

Lighthouse

The point is the FA Cup used to be the big thing to win. On a par with winning the league. Teams from the lower leagues all had a chance of springing the one result that would leave forever in their history.

Now we have top teams fielding kids and reserves and the FA Cup has become a nuisance for the top teams. By making it a midweek, one game result it will as good as destroy the point of it.

The money in football has driven many fans away from the game and they are being priced out. The odd little ticket victory for Liverpool fans doesn't change the overall direction the game is going. A midwinter break and changing the cups will mean the continuing death of the game outside of the very few at the top.

The solution is simple. Any team involved in Europe cannot compete in the FA CUP. IT will diminish the cup but not half as much as we are trying to do at the moment.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Wolf

no club relies on money from replays; they can be an unbudgeted bonus for a few (who have already had the financial boost from the original tie) each season, or a fixture-clogging pain.

I think it should be kept on a Saturday as it is a big deal for Football League teams, and it allows access to tickets for matches of Premier League clubs that normally sell-out e.g. Arsenal
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

nose

what profit a man if he gains the world and sells his soul?

I hate what football has become and it seems to be getting worse.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 16, 2016, 02:35:49 PM
The point is the FA Cup used to be the big thing to win. On a par with winning the league. Teams from the lower leagues all had a chance of springing the one result that would leave forever in their history.

Now we have top teams fielding kids and reserves and the FA Cup has become a nuisance for the top teams. By making it a midweek, one game result it will as good as destroy the point of it.

The money in football has driven many fans away from the game and they are being priced out. The odd little ticket victory for Liverpool fans doesn't change the overall direction the game is going. A midwinter break and changing the cups will mean the continuing death of the game outside of the very few at the top.

The solution is simple. Any team involved in Europe cannot compete in the FA CUP. IT will diminish the cup but not half as much as we are trying to do at the moment.

Excellent Points you've made..

Rupert

The solution is even more simple. Make the FA Cup winners one of our Champions League entrants. Do the same for the League Cup. It would not be regarded as a nuisance by anyone then. And if the occasional lower Premiership or Championship team got into Europe's big money competition that way, well, tough on the big four and good for football in general.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Chutney

Quote from: Rupert on February 16, 2016, 03:40:10 PM
The solution is even more simple. Make the FA Cup winners one of our Champions League entrants. Do the same for the League Cup. It would not be regarded as a nuisance by anyone then. And if the occasional lower Premiership or Championship team got into Europe's big money competition that way, well, tough on the big four and good for football in general.

This would be perfect, the FA Cup should be treasured and the reward for winning it should match its importance!
C O Y W

Ordar

Personally cant say I'm that bothered. Prem teams putting out reserve teams for both cup competitions for the majority of the early rounds surely devalues the competitions more

Twig

Quote from: nose on February 16, 2016, 02:43:05 PM
what profit a man if he gains the world and sells his soul?

I hate what football has become and it seems to be getting worse.

Beautifully put.

Fulham1959

An FA Cup replay, especially under floodlights, is the best type of football match there can be.

By definition, both teams think they can win it and a victory lifts everyone associated with the victors.

MJG

I'm maybe not  as precious with this as others are. Personally would scrap the league cup and ok make the FA Cup midweek. Replays are a pain anyway for mid to higher clubs. Let's be honest we have had replays and crowds are smaller.
But thats with a bigger clubs mentality.

Smaller clubs who play at say old Trafford always got a good pay day if they got a replay. Maybe the option to switch venues could be discussed if it goes to one game?

mccscratch

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 16, 2016, 02:35:49 PM

Precisely how I feel. Good post.
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

bog

This has really peed me off.  :dft007: Have to give credit to the BBC for their coverage of the competition. There have been some great games televised between teams that are never going to win the trophy. Man Utd devalued the competition when they withdrew to play in some big money making meaningless world club nonsense/rubbish.
Recent fan power brought Liverpool to their senses, perhaps this could help get the fans thoughts on these stupid ideas if they try to bring them in. Bog off!  :dft007: :031:

092.gif     

alfie

Midwinter break - is it such a bad thing?, how many of us have gone to a game only to find it called off because of frozen pitch, snow, waterlogged, not such a big issue for me as i live just around the corner from CC, and i don't go to away games anymore,  half way up the M1 and you get turned around, what fun that is.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Fulham Tup North

Football being 'sold' by the biggest clubs, ignoring history and fans.
Odd that Sepp Blatter is nowhere to be seen in all this? This has his grubby fingerprints all over it.
Why not have the FA Cup WITHOUT the Premiership teams. Bet they would moan then.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

mccscratch

Quote from: alfie on February 16, 2016, 04:59:04 PM
Midwinter break - is it such a bad thing?, how many of us have gone to a game only to find it called off because of frozen pitch, snow, waterlogged, not such a big issue for me as i live just around the corner from CC, and i don't go to away games anymore,  half way up the M1 and you get turned around, what fun that is.

I agree for teams in the lower leagues but Premier League grounds rarely have these issues any longer... By not taking a Winter break it provides even more of a chance to grow the brand globally as most of Europe does take a break... They shold be happy for the near world football monopoly between Christmas and New Years...
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

Mince n Tatties

Completely against break.
Just say they shut down in end of Jan through to
Feb and it turns out to be mild weather then.
Start up March and bad weather sets in..
Not many games called off these days compared
to years ago..

Riverside

I am okay with no replays - makes everyones scheduling a problem

Midweek also makes sense as I feel the void when we don't have a weekend match because we are out of the cup .
Let league games be on the weekend .

For the same reason I would be against the winter break . But if they insist on one let it be end of Jan not over the holiday break when fans have time off .

The organisers should be thinking of what is best for the fans .

However we all know that is not generally the case