watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff 09.08.10

Started by os5889, August 09, 2010, 11:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/astonvilla/7935765/Aston-Villa-spark-tug-of-war-for-Mark-Hughes-as-Martin-ONeill-quits-on-eve-of-new-season.html

Aston Villa spark tug of war for Mark Hughes as Martin O'Neill quits on eve of new season

Aston Villa were on Monday night considering making a formal approach for Fulham's Mark Hughes after Martin O'Neill quit as the club's manager.

By Jason Burt

Target: Aston Villa could turn to new Fulham manager Mark Hughes as they search for a replacement for Martin O'Neill, who resigned on Monday. Extraordinarily, Hughes is believed to figure prominently in Villa's possible candidates even though he signed a two-year deal at Craven Cottage only on July 29 and is yet to take charge of a competitive game.

However the only chance of Hughes leaving Fulham would be if the club accepted his contract being bought out by Villa. It is unthinkable that Fulham would even countenance this, or that Hughes would welcome it at this stage, which means that Villa will have to start a wider search just four days before the start of the Premier League season.

Alan Curbishley is among a number of out-of-work managers who would covet the post – Sven-Göran Eriksson would also be on that list – but Villa will undoubtedly look elsewhere first. Martin Jol, ironically the man whose decision to turn down Fulham led to Hughes's eventual appointment, is also under consideration although it would be extremely costly to extricate him from Ajax.

O'Neill left after what sources described as a "disastrous" meeting on Sunday evening with the club's hierarchy. There has been tension for several months – and O'Neill and the club have had to deal with persistent suggestions he was about to leave – but this is understood to have spilt over with a disagreement over the transfer funds being made available to the now former manager before the window closes.

With James Milner's sale to Manchester City imminent – for a fee which may also include a deal to acquire Stephen Ireland, a player O'Neill may not necessarily have wanted – and Ashley Young still a target of Tottenham Hotspur, O'Neill was anxious to ensure that sufficient money was made available particularly to acquire Celtic's Aiden McGeady. It appears that money was not forthcoming.

In addition, he is understood to have been told in no uncertain terms that owner Randy Lerner was not going to continue sustaining the losses he has endured since he acquired Villa in 2006. Since then the American has underwritten Villa to the tune of £179 million with the club making losses of £43.7 million last year.

Most damagingly, the club's wage bill has risen by 42 per cent to £71 million (£11 million more than Tottenham and £21 million more than Everton) giving an alarming wages-to-turnover figure of 85 per cent – with the likes of Richard Dunne believed to be earning £70,000 a week.

In return, O'Neill has achieved three consecutive sixth-placed finishes, a Carling Cup final appearance and turned around a club which appeared to be in a downward spiral under David O'Leary. It has not been a poor return but there has been a disagreement as to how the club goes forward.

Sources close to O'Neill, who worked under a 12-month rolling contract, on Monday night suggested that the 58 year-old felt hugely frustrated by the lack of movement in the transfer market and wanted to receive a more positive message from Lerner. It meant that on the eve of the new season O'Neill – who had asked for £30 million to spend – did not think he was getting the support he required.

There have been suggestions for some time that the relationship between O'Neill and Lerner has been strained but last April, when the Northern Irishman revealed he would consider his future in the summer, he also claimed that the entrepreneur had been the first to call him when rumours circulated that he had quit.

At that time, Hughes was understood to have been a candidate to replace O'Neill.

Since then, Lerner has not been impressed that the clear-out of players that was proposed at the end of last season has not yet happened. Until Nicky Shorey was sold on Monday, none of the six senior players – whose collective wages are close to £250,000 a week with few featuring last season – had moved. Alarmingly, season ticket sales at Villa are down 40 per cent on last year.

Opinion remains divided over O'Neill's success at the club. He brought energy and drive and stability and bought young English talent but his style of football was also criticised at times. On balance his stock remains reasonably high.

Even as recently as last week, O'Neill was firefighting further suggestions he was about to go, telling the local evening newspaper that "who's to say it [the speculation] has gone away? This is the nature of the game".

That turned into a reality on Monday with Villa releasing a statement with chief executive Paul Faulkner confirming: "He [O'Neill] has helped to establish the club in the upper echelons of the Premier League, has taken us to Wembley and we have also qualified for European competition for the past three seasons under his management. We wish him the best in the future."

As part of the statement, O'Neill said: "I have enjoyed my time at Aston Villa immensely. It's obviously a wrench to be leaving such a magnificent club. I would like to pay tribute to the Villa players, my coaching staff and the Villa supporters for all the support and encouragement they have given both the club and me personally during my time as manager. I wish them all the best in the future."

Reserve team manager Kevin MacDonald has been placed in temporary control ahead of Saturday's opening league match at home to West Ham United which Lerner had planned to attend.

os5889

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/tottenham/7935918/Tottenham-set-to-sign-goalkeeper-Stipe-Pletikosa.html

Meanwhile, Spurs are understood to be joining the hunt for former Arsenal midfielder Aleksander Hleb. The Barcelona player is out of favour at Nou Camp and, after spending a spell on loan at Stuttgart last season, is set for another move.
Aston Villa, Manchester City, Fulham and Sevilla have already been linked with Hleb and the player revealed Spurs' interest when he said: "I have a contract with Barcelona and I must respect that, but I heard about the link with Tottenham Hotspur and I think they are a great club. I appreciate their interest and we will see what happens in the future."
And Oliver Mintzlaff, Hleb's agent, added: "The situation with Alex will be sorted in the coming weeks. Tottenham Hotspur are interested in signing Alex as well as Sevilla."

os5889

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1301650/Liverpool-trail-12m-West-Ham-striker-Carlton-Cole.html

Liverpool back on the trail of £12m West Ham striker Carlton Cole after Tottenham demand too much for Peter Crouch
By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER
Last updated at 10:56 PM on 9th August 2010

Liverpool have made another inquiry about West Ham's Carlton Cole after Tottenham quoted them £15million for Peter Crouch.

Liverpool expect to finalise a £5.5m deal for Juventus midfielder Christian Poulsen within the next 24 hours and are mulling over an improved offer for Middlesbrough goalkeeper Brad Jones.

But manager Roy Hodgson has made another striker his next priority.

That looks like hinging on cash from the sale of Javier Mascherano though after West Ham also quoted Liverpool £12m on England international Cole.

Cole fire: Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson wants to take the West Ham striker to Anfield in a £12m deal

Stoke had an offer rebuffed for Cole at the weekend but he does not want to go there even if a fee is agreed and is keen for Liverpool to maintain interest.

However, cash-strapped Liverpool need money from the proposed sale of Mascherano to Inter Milan for a deal to happen. That though has been held up as Inter await the sale of Mario Balotelli to Manchester City first.

Mascherano's proposed replacement, Poulsen has withdrawn from the Denmark squad to face Germany on Wednesday.

Coach Morten Olsen said: 'I was happy to release Christian because this is a very important move for him and for us.

'We can benefit as a national team because he will be playing at a high level and he'll be happy playing for a manager who rates him highly. That should help bring the best out of him.'

Liverpool have also been linked with unsettled Fulham midfielder Zoltan Gera.

Meanwhile, the Yahya Kirdi consortium interested in buying Liverpool reportedly expects to sign an initial agreement with the club before the weekend.

That will not, however, complete a takeover and Chinese tycoon Kenny Huang remains in the frame also.

os5889

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gVO-u7QhWfFXo_SXoMzqZQOA67QQ

Coach Bob Bradley to resume conversations with U.S. soccer body over future
By Ronald Blum (CP) – 22 minutes ago

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Coach Bob Bradley will resume conversations with the U.S. Soccer Federation about his future following Tuesday night's exhibition against Brazil.
Bradley led the Americans to the second round of the World Cup, where they were eliminated in a 2-1 overtime loss to Ghana. His contract expires in December.
He said Monday he has had preliminary conversations with the USSF leadership, led by president Sunil Gulati and secretary general Dan Flynn.
"I think some general starting points were laid out and I think it was agreed at that time that with this game coming up so quickly that it just made sense to use the starting points," he said Monday. "Both sides, you know, could think a little it about what was laid on the table and then we could pick up following the game."
British media speculated Monday that Bradley would be considered for the Aston Villa job that opened when Martin O'Neill quit Monday, five days ahead of the club's opener.
"I've said over and over as well that (I'm) always excited about new and different challenges," Bradley said. "Certainly coaching in Europe at some point is something that I would love to do. At the same time I also consider it a challenge when you finish one cycle and begin the process of working on another one."
Bradley said he never made direct contract with Fulham about its job, another one British media had speculated he would be considered for. Mark Hughes was hired after Roy Hodgson quit the Cottagers to become Liverpool's manager.
"People spoke to Fulham on my behalf," Bradley said. "I did not actually speak to anyone at Fulham."
If Bradley isn't retained, attention could turn to Juergen Klinsmann, who held discussions with Gulati about the U.S. job four years ago. Klinsmann withdrew after he wasn't guaranteed access to top players for both the CONCACAF Gold Cup and Copa America in 2007. He agreed in January 2008 to become coach of Bayern Munich the following summer, but was fired in April 2009 with the club in third place in the Bundesliga following its quarterfinal elimination from the Champions League.
Klinsmann and his family then returned to their home in southern California.

os5889

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/08/09/coach-bradley-says-love-work-europe/

U.S. coach Bradley says he would love to work in Europe
Published August 09, 2010 | Reuters
By Simon Evans

EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey (Reuters) - United States coach Bob Bradley, linked with the vacant Aston Villa manager's job, on Monday repeated his desire to coach in Europe.

Bradley swiftly became one of the bookmakers' favorites for the job at the English Premier League club following Martin O'Neill's resignation from the post on Monday.

"I have said over and over as well that I am always excited about new and different challenges. Certainly coaching in Europe at some point is something that I would love to do," he said.

"At the same time, I also consider it a challenge when you finish one (World Cup) cycle and begin the process of working on another one. From the time one World Cup ends, you begin to go through the process of assessing where you are."

Villa are owned by American Randy Lerner, and Bradley, who impressed during the World Cup where he guided his team to the second round, has previously been linked with Fulham before the London club appointed former Manchester City boss Mark Hughes.

Bradley confirmed a representative had spoken to Fulham on his behalf after Roy Hodgson left the club for Liverpool.

The American said he had yet to have a full discussion with U.S. Soccer as both parties had agreed to get the Brazil friendly, to be held at the New Meadowlands stadium on Tuesday, out of the way before full talks.

"From the end of the World Cup, I have said the same thing: There would be a period when both sides would assess. I think that's normal," Bradley said.

"I had a few discussions with U.S. Soccer. This fixture date comes at a tricky time and so we agreed it was most important to get on and prepare for this date and then we would have some discussions following this game. That's where it stands. Other than that, there is different kinds of speculation on different days, so there is not much to be said until some more discussions take place."

(Editing by Sonia Oxley)

os5889

http://thefadaily.com/2010/08/09/martin-oneill-steps-down-at-aston-villa/

Martin O'Neill steps down at Aston Villa
AUTHOR: Clay Trainum | IN: EPL | COMMENTS: None Yet |

(Source: Yardbarker.com)
Despite the fact that the Premiership just a few days away, we've already been handed one of the more shocking stories of the season as Martin O'Neill stepped down as manager of Aston Villa Monday, effective immediately.
Early reports indicate that the impending sale of James Milner proved the be the final straw for O'Neill, who nearly left the Birmingham-based club earlier this year due in part to a lack of sufficient funds improve his squad. Some have traced his frustration back to last summer when Villa sold off team captain Gareth Barry to Manchester City.
Aston Villa has appointed reserve manager Kevin McDonald in the interim, and rumors have begun to swirl regarding O'Neill's replacement with American Bob Bradley considered among the favorites.
Bradley, who was among the finalists for the Fulham job earlier this summer,  has served as boss of the U.S. national team since 2007, and has led the team to one of their most successful runs in history. He led the Yanks to the 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup, a shocking trip to the Final of the 2009 Confederations Cup and a nail-biting run into the knockout stages in this year's World Cup.
Bradley would appear bound for success in Europe when the right situation arises. The 52-year old has developed a reputation for being a level-headed manager who seems to get the best out of his teams in both ability and work rate. He also has an impressive game management ability, which certainly helps when he makes the occasional wrong decision with the starting line-up, undoubtedly one of his weaknesses. That said, if anyone is to break the glass ceiling for American managers in Europe, one has to think Bradley is the best-equipped.
Bradley currently has some connections with Villa in that American goalkeepers Brad Friedel and Brad Guzan both currently ply their trades there. 21-year old defender Eric Lichaj is also under contract with the Lions, but has yet to earn playing time with the first team.

os5889

Capello Needs A Warm Front
Ian Wright

HE fresh young faces recruited for tomorrow's friendly have left me feeling genuinely optimistic about England's brave new era.
I only hope Three Lions boss Fabio Capello has also made changes and improved the area of the squad that needed it most - HIMSELF.
But, despite the ridiculous retirements of Paul Robinson and Wes Brown, I am impressed with some of the young guns Capello has called up to face Hungary.
Arsenal's Jack Wilshere and Kieran Gibbs have at last been handed the chance to show their class. I only hope Arsene Wenger will show as much faith in his duo as Capello has.
Another Gunner, Theo Walcott, will have plenty to prove after being left out of the World Cup squad while Manchester City winger Adam Johnson should receive his second cap.
As for Bobby Zamora, he deserves a chance in an England shirt following his heroics with Fulham last season - whatever the critics say.
But I was disappointed not to see Scott Parker named in midfield. His form for West Ham earned him a place in Capello's 30-man provisional squad for South Africa, before he was shown the door.
He is one of the best and most consistent English players in the Premier League. What more does he have to do to be given a chance?
Parker aside, Capello's new-look squad offers plenty of encouragement after the summer debacle.
But is it good enough to qualify for - and then go on and win - the Euros in two years' time?
At the moment, you would say probably not. But can you predict how newcomers will perform when they pull on the England shirt?
All you can say is that the signs are encouraging and there is a lot of potential.
But it will all mean nothing if the coach has not changed as well.
Capello could select the greatest players on the planet but if he has not addressed his own approach, the end result will be no different.
The Italian was appointed with a reputation as a tactical genius, a supreme man-motivator and, above all, a winner.
Since guiding us to World Cup qualification last year, we have seen precious little evidence of any of those qualities.
Even at Sunday's Community Shield, Capello greeted the likes of Wayne Rooney, John Terry and Frank Lampard with the coldest of handshakes, while it looked like Ashley Cole ignored him altogether.
I am not saying a manager has got to be best mates with his players but there has to be some degree of professional fondness.
Look at Jose Mourinho - respected, loved and feared by almost all his players, past and present.
How will Capello get his players to run through walls for him if, fundamentally, they don't like him?
Is that part of the reason why Blackburn keeper Robinson and Manchester United defender Brown have taken early retirement from the England squad, when both 30-year-olds still have much more to offer?
As someone with a fused ankle who would give anything for a kickabout in the garden, I don't understand their decisions to call time on their international careers.
A player's career usually ends before they hit 40, which gives them 30-odd years to be at home with the wife and kids.
But the chance to play for England does not last for ever, so you have to seize it while you can.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3088298/Ian-Wright-Fabio-Capello-needs-a-warm-front.html#ixzz0w9dZGA7N

os5889

http://www.sbrforum.com/Betting+Articles/Sports/15092/unrest-villa-park-o-neill-quits-right-before-season-starts.aspx

Out of the gates, the books see current United States national manager Bob Bradley and former Ivory Coast boss Sven Goran Eriksson as the two early favorites to take the helm at Villa. Both are valued at 7/2 odds on Ladbrokes to be the team's next permanent manager.

Bradley and Eriksson were previously linked with the open post at Fulham before former Manchester City manager Mark Hughes eventually took the job.

The American has made a name for himself after leading the U.S. national side to first place in its World Cup qualifying group. Villa is owned by another American in Lerner which is perhaps why Bradley is seen as a serious contender for the position.

In recent years, Eriksson has worked with England, Ivory Coast, Mexico and Manchester City. He has a wealth of experience which could work wonders with a young and talented Villa side.

Others that have been linked with the vacancy at Aston Villa include former Charlton boss Alan Curbishley at 5/1 odds and current Ajax caretaker Martin Jol at 8/1.

Out of the gates, the books see current United States national manager Bob Bradley and former Ivory Coast boss Sven Goran Eriksson as the two early favorites to take the helm at Villa. Both are valued at 7/2 odds on Ladbrokes to be the team's next permanent manager.

Bradley and Eriksson were previously linked with the open post at Fulham before former Manchester City manager Mark Hughes eventually took the job.

The American has made a name for himself after leading the U.S. national side to first place in its World Cup qualifying group. Villa is owned by another American in Lerner which is perhaps why Bradley is seen as a serious contender for the position.

In recent years, Eriksson has worked with England, Ivory Coast, Mexico and Manchester City. He has a wealth of experience which could work wonders with a young and talented Villa side.

Others that have been linked with the vacancy at Aston Villa include former Charlton boss Alan Curbishley at 5/1 odds and current Ajax caretaker Martin Jol at 8/1.

os5889

The FA are stung for £5m to quit former Soho headqaurters

SPORTS AGENDA By CHARLES SALE

The FA have finally rid themselves of the building most associated with their extravagance - their former headquarters in Soho Square on which they were holding a lease until 2020, despite moving to Wembley last summer.
The eight-floor building, for which the FA were due to pay around £3m in rent and rates for the next 10 years, have new landlords in insurance company Aviva, which gave a fresh opportunity for a deal to be struck over tenancy terms agreed by former FA chief executive Adam Crozier in 2000 as part of his modernising strategy.

Taking a hit: Surrendering the lease for Soho Square is understood to have cost The FA £5million
But the exit from Soho has come at a price. Surrendering the lease is understood to have cost more than £5m - a significant sum on top of the £10m it cost to relocate and at a time when the FA are struggling to find a sponsor for the England team or fill Wembley after the World Cup debacle.
The end of the Soho Square contract has also seen the security guard, who has been on duty at the deserted premises for the past year, being made redundant. However, working in the heart of London was far more preferable for FA staff, who have left in droves rather than work in Brent.

The way that the FA have botched their sponsorship hunt for an England team backer was demonstrated by them resorting to advertising the FA website on the training kit yesterday.
And the high-risk gamble of waiting until after the World Cup to sign a top-dollar sponsor has backfired because a number of interested parties are no longer at the table after the shambles in South Africa.
The FA and sponsorship agents IMG desperately need a convincing England performance against Hungary tomorrow to revive interest in the tarnished Three Lions brand.

Accused: Premier League chairman Sir Dave Richards
Fulham's legal action against Premier League chairman Sir Dave Richards for his alleged brokering, outside his remit, of Peter Crouch's transfer from Portsmouth to Tottenham, sums up the conflicts of interest that saturate English football.
Quite apart from Richards' unacceptable role in heading both the Premier League and Club England, we now have Fulham director Mark Collins, one of the Premier League representatives on the FA Council and chairman of the FA Cup committee, effectively suing his Premier League and FA comrade Sir Dave.
There are those who want Collins to stand down from his FA positions until this issue is resolved.
However, Fulham say there is no chance of this happening.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1301662/Charles-Sale-The-FA-stung-5m-quit-Soho-HQ.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz0w9eJNSX2

os5889

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/bob-bradley-eyes-villans-vacancy/article1667281/

Bob Bradley eyes Villans vacancy

United States World Cup coach becomes one of bookmakers favourites for EPL position
United States coach Bob Bradley, linked with the vacant Aston Villa manager's job, on Monday repeated his desire to coach in Europe.

Bradley swiftly became one of the bookmakers' favourites for the job at the English Premier League club following Martin O'Neill's resignation from the post on Monday.

Asked about the Villa speculation, Bradley, whose contract with the U.S Soccer Federation runs out in December, told a news conference ahead of his team's friendly with Brazil, that he would love to work in Europe.

"I have said over and over as well that I am always excited about new and different challenges. Certainly coaching in Europe at some point is something that I would love to do," he said.

"At the same time, I also consider it a challenge when you finish one (World Cup) cycle and begin the process of working on another one. From the time one World Cup ends, you begin to go through the process of assessing where you are."

Villa are owned by American Randy Lerner, and Bradley, who impressed during the World Cup where he guided his team to the second round, has previously been linked with Fulham before the London club appointed former Manchester City boss Mark Hughes.

Bradley confirmed a representative had spoken to Fulham on his behalf after Roy Hodgson left the club for Liverpool.

The American said he had yet to have a full discussion with U.S Soccer as both parties had agreed to get the Brazil friendly, to be held at the New Meadowlands stadium on Tuesday, out of the way before full talks.

"From the end of the World Cup, I have said the same thing: There would be a period when both sides would assess. I think that's normal," Bradley said.

"I had a few discussions with U.S. Soccer. This fixture date comes at a tricky time and so we agreed it was most important to get on and prepare for this date and then we would have some discussions following this game. That's where it stands. Other than that, there is different kinds of speculation on different days, so there is not much to be said until some more discussions take place."

os5889

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/7936126/Premier-League-Transfer-Talk-Club-by-club-Football-Transfers-Football-Rumours-August-9.html

Fulham
New Fulham manager Mark Hughes could return to former club Manchester City to buy Stephen Ireland, Craig Bellamy and Roque Santa Cruz. (Mirror)
Arsene Wenger has offered 37-year-old Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer a role at Arsenal as player coach as an extra incentive to join the club (Sun)...
... But Fulham have lined up Rangers' Allan McGregor just in case the Australian does leave Craven Cottage. (People)
Aston Villa midfielder Steve Sidwell has rejected West Ham to join Fulham in a £2 million deal. (Mail)

os5889

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/41925/Given_outlines_six_day_contract_countdown.aspx

Given outlines six day contract countdown

Ireland international goalkeeper Shay Given has warned Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini that he will not be happy to sit on the bench if the Italian opts to select England under-21 stopper Joe Hart as his first choice this season.
The 34-year-old dislocated his shoulder at the tail end of last term and will be hoping his fitness worries are behind him as competition for the number one slot at Eastlands gathers momentum. Several clubs, including Premier League rivals Arsenal, are thought to be keeping tabs on Given should he decide that his future lies elsewhere.
Speaking ahead of Ireland's friendly against Argentina in Dublin tomorrow night, Given stressed: "I'll see how Saturday goes. The manager hasn't picked the team yet obviously and he hasn't spoken to me personally or the team as a whole. I'm just desperate to play on Saturday, I hope I'll play and I'm looking forward to the new season. But if that's not the case then I'll have to speak to the club next week and then decide what the next step is.
"I haven't joined Manchester City to sit on the bench or whatever. I've gone there to play, it's an ambitious club and I'm an ambitious person, I haven't gone there to take it easy and put my feet up. If that's not the case, I suppose I'll sit down on Monday with the club and see where I can go after that."
Arsenal are already understood to have had a bid for Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer rejected with Arsene Wenger speaking openly about the competition between the sticks at the Emirates. During pre-season Manuel Almunia, Lukasz Fabianski, Wojciech Szczesny and Vito Mannone have all shared the duties with the coaching hierarchy hinting that one of the quartet will be sent on loan.

os5889

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/10/football-transfer-rumours-emmanuel-adebayor-tottenham

Arsène Wenger, meanwhile, has reportedly developed a superpower that enables him to be in 473 places at once, for that is how many centre-backs he has been running the rule over this week. Observed players apparently include Gary Cahill, Brede Hangeland, Phil Jagielka, Matthew Upson, PSG's Mahamadou Sakho and at this point you can throw in whoever you fancy because no one will read this far.

os5889

http://www.journallive.co.uk/safc/safc-news/2010/08/10/unsettled-kenwyne-jones-wants-to-quit-cats-61634-27030409/

Unsettled Kenwyne Jones wants to quit Cats
Aug 10 2010 by Lee Ryder, The Journal

KENWYNE Jones wants to quit Sunderland – and the Trinidad and Tobago international is hoping to secure a move away from the Stadium of Light before the transfer window closes at the end of this month.

Jones no longer feels that Sunderland's ambitions match his own – even though there have been a spate of new faces on Wearside this summer.

Jones was linked with a move to the Black Cats' Premier League rivals Stoke City last week with Britannia Stadium boss Tony Pulis having a £23million transfer kitty burning a hole in his pocket.

Pulis was interested in Newcastle United striker Andy Carroll earlier this summer but the Gateshead-born striker is very much settled on Tyneside and has since been handed the club's coveted number nine shirt.

However, while Stoke would love to add the 25-year-old to their ranks, Jones doesn't fancy a move to the Potteries, even though the powerful former Southampton man spent a stint on loan with City five years ago.

Indeed, sources close to the 6ft 2in striker say that Jones would love to land a move to London with Tottenham Hotspur's Harry Redknapp already a big fan of the Trinidad and Tobago striker – and the White Hart Lane manager has the carrot of Champions League football to dangle in front of his transfer targets.

The news has also been relayed to Fulham's new manager Mark Hughes, who would have to find £8million to secure his services. Either way, Jones wants out at Sunderland and feels time has run its course with the Black Cats.

The unhappy Sunderland star told friends: "It's time for me to write a new chapter in my life."

os5889

http://www.breakingfootballnews.com/english-premier-league/aston-villa-weigh-up-mark-hughes-as-martin-oneill-replacement/6390

Aston Villa Weigh Up Mark Hughes As Martin O'Neill Replacement
By Kenneth on Tuesday, 10th August 2010
Aston Villa are considering a shock swoop for new Fulham boss Mark Hughes as the man to replace Martin O'Neill who resigned in a huff on Monday.

Hughes had only just recently joined Fulham this summer after taking over the departed Roy Hodgson, but the Welshman has been included in a list of candidates drawn up to become the next Villa boss.

The Telegraph reported that Fulham could allow their new manager to leave only if their Premier League rivals agree to buy out his contract, but it is highly unlikely that owner Mohammed Al Fayed would even contemplate that given that the new season is just a matter of days away and that the Craven Cottage club had already been made a laughing stock over the Martin Jol fiasco.

Other candidates likely to feature in the latest Premier League managerial vacancy would include lowly regarded Alan Curbishley, Sven Goran Eriksson and even Jol could be in the reckoning given Ajax's early season wobbles despite the club having given their manager the financial backing he demanded as a condition not to pack his bags for Fulham.

Hughes is also mentioned after having been first linked to the job last April when O'Neill and Villa owner Randy Lerner had one of their many increasingly often disputes behind the scenes.

And it is because of this rising friction between the two that finally broke the camel's back as O'Neill quit in a huff over the lack of financial backing in his bid to sign the players need to finally bring silverware to the club under his stewardship. The Northern Irishman had asked for all of the funds derived from the impending James Milner sale to be made available for new players but was turned down by Lerner and the club's board in a meeting on Sunday. The resignation quickly followed the next day.

The American owner had also become increasingly concerned with the continuing losses that the club have had to endure since taking over in 2006. Villa sustained losses of £43.7 million last year and the club also failed again with a bid to qualify for the Champions League by finishing sixth in the Premier League.

Lerner was also frustrated with the rising wage bill that now totals £71 million and is comparatively more than that of Tottenham Hotspur's and Everton's. O'Neill was previously responsible for deciding how much to pay each player and with aging veteran Richard Dunne enjoying a salary of £70,000 a week, the American clearly did not believe what the Ulsterman was doing in appointing Paul Faulkner as chief executive and having him take over many of the roles O'Neill previously enjoyed.

os5889

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Fulham-target-Eidur-Gudjohnsen-and-Mikael-Silvestre-set-to-seal-Rafik-Halliche-deal/9467/

Fulham target Eidur Gudjohnsen and Mikael Silvestre, set to seal Rafik Halliche dealAugust 10, 2010|Transfer gossip|0 Comments|

Fulham manager Mark Hughes isn't wasting any time in trying to bolster his squad, lining up moves for Icelandic striker Eidur Gudjohnsen and French defender Mikael Silvestre .
Eidur Gudjohnsen was on loan at Tottenham from AS Monaco last season but a permanent move to the north Londoners broke down after Spurs chief Daniel Levy insisted that coach Harry Redknapp offload some of his fringe players before buying the former Chelsea forward.

Mikael Silvestre is out of contract at Arsenal and his proposed move to Dubai failed to materialize.

Meanwhile, Rafik Halliche is poised to complete his £2.5million transfer to the Cottagers from Benfica in the next 24 hours.

The Algeria World Cup defender, who will have a medical at Fulham tomorrow, called the move to the Premier League "simply sensational."

os5889

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/39241/carlos-bocanegra-ill-never-turn-my-back-on-usa.html

Carlos Bocanegra: 'I'll never turn my back on USA'
by Mike Woitalla, August 10th, 2010 1:05AM

[INTERVIEW] After debuting for his new team Saint-Etienne in the French Ligue 1 opener on Saturday, U.S. captain Carlos Bocanegra joined the USA in New Jersey and talked about his national team future, the U.S.coaching situation, and his career in Europe, which started when he left the Chicago Fire for Fulham in 2004.

You just joined a new club, Saint-Etienne, after two seasons with Rennes. Is it tough to leave just as the French season started?
CARLOS BOCANEGRA: I love playing for the U.S. I love being around this group. It's so special putting on the U.S. jersey. All the support we had during the World Cup is an incredible feeling.

How do you like Saint-Etienne so far?
I like my new team a lot. The move was in the works since December so it was nice when it finally happened.

What's the main difference between the French league and the English Premier League, where you played four seasons with Fullham?
In England it's a little more direct. France is a bit more tactically set up.

England is more physical. It seems to be in Europe in general – I hear it from the other guys on the team who play in Germany or Spain or Italy – you get a lot more fouls called in those countries for stuff that would be let go in England. You get used to it.

Do play more left back in France than you did in England?
I played both in England but I play more left back in France.

Are you expected to attack down the flanks?
The coach knows that I'm not really an attacker from the left back position. He doesn't expect me do to things out of the ordinary but knows what I bring to the table. The coach is happy that I can play in the center or on the left.

Has the U.S. Soccer Federation asked you for feedback about Coach Bob Bradley?
We spoke a little bit briefly, but that's up to U.S. Soccer and Bob. Obviously, today with the Aston Villa thing coming into play, that is a fantastic opportunity. Who knows what Bob wants to do?

Would there be a benefit to having a new man in charge of the national team?
That's a difficult question. Bob did a really good job with our group. He definitely took us to the next level. These past four years, not only on the field but off the field, he has made it a very professional environment. It's a good place. We know what to expect when we come in here, he has us prepared, and you can see by the results we had and the success he has had as a coach, he has brought us [higher]."

You'll be 35 by the 2014 World Cup. How much longer do you see yourself playing for the national team?
If the coach selects me, I'll never turn my back on the U.S. team. I'm going to take it one year at a time and see what happens.

os5889

http://www.tribalfootball.com/friedel-young-were-villa-flashpoint-o%E2%80%99neill-1034281

Friedel, Young were Villa flashpoint for O'Neill

Martin O'Neill quit Aston Villa over fears Ashley Young was about to be sold, it has been revealed.

The Scottish Sun says O'Neill walked out on Villa in a bust-up over cash after Brad Friedel became the latest big name to head for the exit door.

He was already frustrated by the imminent sale of James Milner to Manchester City.

He wanted to spend the fee on new quality players, but cash-strapped owner Randy Lerner insisted it must help balance the books.

Fearing Ashley Young would be sold too, O'Neill was close to quitting and he finally snapped when keeper Friedel announced he wanted to join Fulham.

An insider said: "That was the final straw for Martin."

os5889

Celts Link Denied

MARTIN O'NEILL will NOT be heading back to Celtic as Neil Lennon's mentor.
Hoops legend O'Neill quit as Aston Villa boss yesterday - and sparked rumours of a Celts return.
But Parkhead insiders last night dismissed the speculation and insisted the former Hoops gaffer is not on their radar.
O'Neill walked out on Villa in a bust-up over cash after Brad Friedel became the latest big name to head for the exit door.
He was already frustrated by the imminent sale of James Milner to Manchester City.
He wanted to spend the fee on new quality players, but cash-strapped owner Randy Lerner insisted it must help balance the books.
Fearing Ashley Young would be sold too, O'Neill was close to quitting and he finally snapped when keeper Friedel announced he wanted to join Fulham.
An insider said: "That was the final straw for Martin."
Croatian boss Slaven Bilic is the top tip to replace O'Neill, along with USA World Cup chief Bob Bradley.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3088727/Celts-link-denied-as-Mart-quits.html#ixzz0wBsDMqhy

White Noise

1966 ace Cohen in collapse at dinner

By ANDREW PARKER

Published: Today

WORLD Cup hero George Cohen was taken to hospital after collapsing at a charity bash.

Shocked guests watched in horror as the 1966 star passed out moments after arriving.

George, 70, who has survived bowel cancer three times, was taken to hospital by ambulance and kept in overnight.

Yesterday his agent Andrew Morris said: "George was taken ill on Friday. It's happened before when he hasn't eaten enough and has been on his feet all day.

"He was kept in hospital and is now recovering at home. He is fine."

The former full-back attended the dinner in Sidbury, Worcs, after a champagne reception at Worcester Cathedral.

George, who lives in Crowborough, East Sussex, missed out on opening a sporting heroes' exhibition in Worcester on Saturday.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3088363/1966-ace-George-Cohen-in-collapse-at-dinner.html#ixzz0wBseV5SQ