watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

our GK is the weakest of our weak links

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, March 13, 2016, 06:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaphead in Qatar

he seldom attacks crosses and keeps getting beaten from distance.  to think some of us were on schwarzs back towards the end of his time with us.

JDH101

No brother. Our problems start in midfield.

glenhodgso

I am looking forward to seeing Betts back next week.

Our defence resembles a bad remake of Dad's Army - with 'Lonners' as Corporal Jones....

Nero

Quote from: JDH101 on March 13, 2016, 06:27:22 PM

They do, any shot from  there ends up in the back of the net

Wearethewhites

Lonergan is a bang average Championship goalkeeper. He was playing 2nd fiddle at Bolton for Gods sake. Granted, he's a good shot stopper, has saved us in a few games, but has also lost us a few games along the way with his stupidity. Lonergan doesn't come off his line to claim/punch balls, contributing to us leaking goals from set pieces, corners etc. His distribution is woeful and is one of the worst keepers I've seen to command his 6 yard box.

Jokanovic was ready to draught in McCarthy, so what does that tell you? For the records, Betts is no better either.

Jims Dentist

Earlier in the season his shot stopping made him look good, possibly covering over his inability to take crosses or kick accurately.
Now he is no longer stopping the shots as before.

Not good news, but I do agree that Bette is no better overall.

J

Quote from: Wearethewhites on March 13, 2016, 07:05:28 PM
Lonergan is a bang average Championship goalkeeper. He was playing 2nd fiddle at Bolton for Gods sake. Granted, he's a good shot stopper, has saved us in a few games, but has also lost us a few games along the way with his stupidity. Lonergan doesn't come off his line to claim/punch balls, contributing to us leaking goals from set pieces, corners etc. His distribution is woeful and is one of the worst keepers I've seen to command his 6 yard box.

Jokanovic was ready to draught in McCarthy, so what does that tell you? For the records, Betts is no better either.

Imo mostly correct but I do feel Betts is better... And with age on his side has potential to improve. And he has a good record of penalty saves which we might benefit from!

Also notable, whilst lonnergan's shot stopping has been good at times, it should be noticed that these saves have all been close range /1v1 reflex stops... Which is fine in those circumstances but he seems to have a real weakness at shot stopping from range - whether this is due to concentration, positioning, not moving his feet etc. difficult to say...but Betts is also much better at these kind of saves

Berserker

Thing is Betts was badly injured. Even if he was better before he may not be quite the same now. We just don't know
It would be an awful lot of pressure on him to throw him back into the depend at the moment
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

RaySmith

That's the gamble the manager has to make. I think Lonnergan has possibly been at fault for some recent conceded goals, though he usually makes some  brilliant saves too.

I wonder if Lonnergan is suffering from the pressure. Keeper is a nervy position -one mistake and  it can cost your team the match - there is no hiding place. But these  are highly paid professionals, and are expected to cope - but they are, of course, only human.

Also, to drop Lonnergan implies that the manger thinks he's been at fault, and  could undermine his confidence, but on the other hand, SJ  has to make the decision if he thinks  Betts can  do a better job, which could  be  the difference in being relegated and staying up, in these remaining games.

But Joka is paid to make these tough decisions.

bobbo

All been said he's a great shot stopper but oh so vulnerable from crosses and anything outside the goal area.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

filham

Very late in the season to identify that we have a keeper problem, shame someone at the club didn't speak up in August.

westcliff white

Agree with the OP however I think Betts suffers from the same issue, he rarely came for crosses last season and there fore taking control of the area is hard to do. Difference between them is that Betts is still young and will learn to do so, hopefully Flowers who was very good commanding his area and coming for crosses will be able to show and encourage them to do that.
Every day is a Fulham day

Chutney

Quote from: Berserker on March 14, 2016, 07:36:28 AM
Thing is Betts was badly injured. Even if he was better before he may not be quite the same now. We just don't know
It would be an awful lot of pressure on him to throw him back into the depend at the moment

We either take a gamble on Betts being back to his best or we stay with a GK who lets in at least a goal a game that he should of saved.

Either way, we are in a world of struggle right now.
C O Y W

valdeingruo

Quote from: Nero on March 13, 2016, 06:50:33 PM
Quote from: JDH101 on March 13, 2016, 06:27:22 PM

They do, any shot from  there ends up in the back of the net

I actually laughed loudly at this one.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

nose

of all the positions that is not a fundamental problem it is goalkeeper. maybe he has shortcommings but that is not why we are losing games.

If on saturday we would have played the second half instead of sat back and admired the work we did in the forst, we might have done better. we invited the pressure and as such paid for our sins.