watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Rooney

Started by bog, March 27, 2016, 10:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Although the game was only a friendly I have to say it was one of the best ones I have ever watched. The big sound that the display gave off for me was that there cannot be a place for Rooney when he is fit again.

092.gif   

ron

You may well be right there, bog. The pure pace and quality touches at pace were a joy to watch. Whether Rooney can keep that up must be a doubt... 

Apprentice to the Maestro

Kane and Vardy are the in form strikers and very positive in their play.

Rooney is injured and not in top form but has a footballing brain. I am not convinced by Lallana or Henderson so maybe there is a place for Rooney there.

Dr Know

Rooney is past it.He should be dropped for good.

bog

The sight of Barclay and Vardy coming on as subs was such an exciting sight, and they did not let us down. The style of play to accommodate Rooney would be step back I feel. What prospect Ali is, what a relief he is still not playing for MK Dons! 

fulhamben

I've been saying for years rooney  is past it. It's Roy though, he will pick him
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

bog

Agree with you Woolly. Vardy's pace is frightening. When he caught that defender in possession it was purely down to this, then he showed such composure in setting up Ali. Four years ago Jamie was non-league. What a story.  :clap_hands: Rooney's days are over.

092.gif

Carborundum

Let's face it, if he's fit he's going.  He won't be the weakest link in the squad.  Will be pleasantly surprised if injuries don't play a hand in how the team shapes up.

But he will know that the England set-up doesn't revolve around him.  Might bring out the best in him.

FPT

The beauty for me is that we don't need Wayne Rooney. If he doesn't perform, he doesn't need to play and that can only be for the good of England.

What Wayne Rooney can do, is put the ball in the back of the net - and the wasting of chances against Germany over the 90 minutes was pretty poor - Lallana a notable one. Rooney is still a talented footballer, still our captain and still valuable being around such a young team at the very least.

For me, I'd use Wayne Rooney in the hole with the diamond with Kane and Vardy up top. Alli and other (probably Henderson) as the outer central midfielders, they're the engines of the central midfield - Alli is so bloody talented and Henderson is a solid all rounder (at worst a 6/10 every game). Eric Dier can then take up the position in front of the back four; he's arguably only been bettered by Ngolo Kante as a defensive midfielder this season and easily the most suitable player to play in that role since Owen Hargreaves. That way, Dier protects the two central defenders whilst the full backs join in and provide the width.

This is a really exciting England group, and the idea of going into the Euros with Rooney and Sturridge as substitutes is stupidly intriguing.