watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ray Lewington and co being frozen out

Started by epsomraver, August 13, 2010, 09:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsomraver

Had an interesting chat with a long time Fulham man who told me some disconcerting things regarding the new management, Ray Lewington has no idea what he is supposed to be doing, same for Billy Mac, Sparky and co shut themselves off in the office excluding any of the existing Roy management team, Ray was asked to go with Roy but he is a family man and didn't want to go and live up north so at present he is going to work, getting paid but has no idea what he is supposed to do, looks like "trouble at mill"

SHADY1

Excellent news ....
A new manager actually wanting to come in and change things his way with his staff.

Maybe just maybe we will see something new. A few set pieces that actually look as if they came of the training pitch a different approach to away games.

I've never got how Ray has been kept on so long as personally I've never got what he's actually done.
I'll hold my hands up and say his service to the club has been ok but who else was going to employ him in the Premiership. I think he's done well to blagg it this long.
I don't think he should be kicked out, fozen out of the club but give him a nice little job with the juniors and keep him on a basic salary and he will have found his rightful position. He should never have been on the 1st team bench and hopefully I won't see him there again.

Well done Mark for spotting the weak link....  trouble at the mill or moving in the right direction !!!
we are Fulham stay realistic or be for ever disappointed ...

epsomraver

I know that you don't rate RL from previous posts, I think he should have gone with Roy, the amount of money he earns, he could commute by plane, only point I feel is wrong is that he had to sort out all the preseason training etc when Hubcaps left abruptly so should have some input at present for the players benefit and some continuity .

SHADY1

Thats assuming the players actually feel that he brings anything to the table... maybe they will enjoy a complete new appraoch from more modern thinking coaching .. I've not seen anything in his time as a coach to suggest hes made a significant contribution....

I'm laughing at the thought  Liverpool may have taken him on ... Lewington coaching Gerrard & co  :005:

Tom

Quote from: epsomraver on August 13, 2010, 09:09:40 AM
Had an interesting chat with a long time Fulham man who told me some disconcerting things regarding the new management, Ray Lewington has no idea what he is supposed to be doing, same for Billy Mac, Sparky and co shut themselves off in the office excluding any of the existing Roy management team, Ray was asked to go with Roy but he is a family man and didn't want to go and live up north so at present he is going to work, getting paid but has no idea what he is supposed to do, looks like "trouble at mill"
Really sad to hear this.
Fulham for life!

epsomraver

You never know shady, he might make a blinding cup of tea! :005:

richie17

this is really disappointing.    Hughes is missing a trick, someone who knows the players inside out and how to get the best out of them.

TonyGilroy

Bottom line for me is that Hughes must manage the way he wants.

I hope Ray Lewington hasn't been imposed on him because that's in no one's best interests.

I don't think any of us actually really know what sort of contribution individual members of the backroom staff make.

SHADY1

Roy got the best out of the players .... I can't wait to see a totally different approach... and the club moving another step forward....
In Mark I trust until he shows no fecking loyalty and walks   :035:

Huge

Quote from: SHADY1 on August 13, 2010, 10:08:40 AM
Roy got the best out of the players .... I can't wait to see a totally different approach... and the club moving another step forward....
In Mark I trust until he shows no fecking loyalty and walks   :035:

If its Loyalty you want the Ray is epitomy of loyal, he bleeds Fulham. He is precisley the kind of person that this club needs. He is the familiarity the players like. I am sure if he went with Roy we would have lost a few players in the period of no manager. He is a top man in my eyes
The Dude abides

Fernhurst

"Sparky and co shut themselves off in the office excluding any of the existing Roy management team,"

Converstions behind locked doors.

"Well lads', whatch'a think .... should we take the Villa job or not"

Lighthouse

Quote from: Fernhurst on August 13, 2010, 10:48:00 AM
"Sparky and co shut themselves off in the office excluding any of the existing Roy management team,"

Converstions behind locked doors.

"Well lads', whatch'a think .... should we take the Villa job or not"

:011: No I mean  :012:
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

SHADY1

And where else could Ray have gone ... Average player .. never won anything ..average in management everywhere hes been relegation battle after relegation battle... yes he's been here a long time and yeh he might bleed Fulham. That doesn't mean he's any good at coaching and doesn't mean the players all like him.... Familiarity can breed contempt and also take away the motivation some players need to impress and makes things go stale... If you are bringing in a new team all have to accept they may have their way of doing things.
As i said to start with when was the last time you saw anything creative from a free kick or a different worked corner.. coachings about a lot more than being somewhere a long time and knowing everyone...

Mark Hughes great player at the highest level .. worked with quality managers ... Wales international player and manager ... was doing ok at Man City but wasn't a big enough name for the investors many felt he was hard done by... players ,fans and media..

NOW we have him what an oppertunity for him and us and if a man of his credentials feels Ray Lewington doesn't have what he wants so be it..
Thanks Ray, goodluck and come on you whites...

Banstead White

I really cant believe all that I read here on this thread, I beg to question if you guys have really been around that long, and I mean that with absolutely no malice or wish to sound offensive. As a footballer he wasn't that great?? Well I watched him and never thought he was that bad actually. Each time a "NEW" Management has come to the club with high expectations, numerous managers who have come and gone down the years who else has there been to jump at the helm, to step into the breech. Other clubs all over have one or two "mainstays", that do "bleed for the club", (to quote a previous post) these individuals are needed to create some form of cohesion....hughes will go, one day, and if he brings in his own with no connection to the club what do you think happens when he buggers off....perhaps we get Sandra out of the ticket office 'cos thats the closest you will get to someone who cares. OK I may be talking extremes and accept there may be a backlash from one or two of you,maybe more?, BUT I recall games seeing Lewi on the turnstiles to help out when the muck really did hit the fan (sic). He has shown an ability to adapt down the years to numerous Managers and their "styles"....maybe he is not Asst Manager or Manager material I dont know but you sure as hell cant call him a bad coach as that is incredibly subjective, he can only coach the syle he is asked.
Maybe i'm really missing a point and now beginning to ramble BUT RAY MUST STAY!! :clap_hands:
Roysie

ScalleysDad

I'll have to plant my flag in your camp BW. I recall the end of the Coleman era and the disaster of the whole Sanchez reign and the beginning of the Hodgson rollercoater. The post Coleman and Sanchez regimes could have seen wholesale clear outs and the introduction of Hodgson could have led to another assistant or coach coming in from somewhere in Roys black book. Did'nt happen. Thats three chances to be shot of not taken. Rubbish coaches/assistants normally only get one chance.
It will be a shame if he is forced out as in many respects the ethos of Hughes regarding bringing the kids through is the same as Lewingtons. I know the Brentford game was a 'in the bag friendly' but I wonder if Roy would have done that even though we were light on numbers.

TonyGilroy

As ever though we're outsiders giving opinions on very limited evidence.

I don't know exactly what Ray did with Hodgson or what the players think of him. I also don't know what role is proposed for him under Hughes.

What I do know is that the success of the club requires that Hughes (who we all agree is experienced, successful and ambitious) should be free to run things his way.

I'd rather that be with Ray than without but that would depend largely on Hughes opinion of Leewington's abilities.

It's no good for Hughes, Lewington or the club if Hughes is forced to find a role for Ray that does not fit in fully with Hughes' plans.

Huge

Quote from: Banstead White on August 13, 2010, 11:50:02 AM
I really cant believe all that I read here on this thread, I beg to question if you guys have really been around that long, and I mean that with absolutely no malice or wish to sound offensive. As a footballer he wasn't that great?? Well I watched him and never thought he was that bad actually. Each time a "NEW" Management has come to the club with high expectations, numerous managers who have come and gone down the years who else has there been to jump at the helm, to step into the breech. Other clubs all over have one or two "mainstays", that do "bleed for the club", (to quote a previous post) these individuals are needed to create some form of cohesion....hughes will go, one day, and if he brings in his own with no connection to the club what do you think happens when he buggers off....perhaps we get Sandra out of the ticket office 'cos thats the closest you will get to someone who cares. OK I may be talking extremes and accept there may be a backlash from one or two of you,maybe more?, BUT I recall games seeing Lewi on the turnstiles to help out when the muck really did hit the fan (sic). He has shown an ability to adapt down the years to numerous Managers and their "styles"....maybe he is not Asst Manager or Manager material I dont know but you sure as hell cant call him a bad coach as that is incredibly subjective, he can only coach the syle he is asked.
Maybe i'm really missing a point and now beginning to ramble BUT RAY MUST STAY!! :clap_hands:

+1  :045:

my sentiments exactly
The Dude abides

blingo

Got to side with Shady on this one (much as it hurts to admit that) RL is ok but has never achieved any great heights and in my personal view, if, as MAF says, we are going to move forwards then we need TOP CLASS staff in the backroom. Is RL loyal? YES. Is he any good at what he does? Average at best.
This season will prove whether or not MH is really any good as a manager. He has inherited a decent squad and will clearly fight to hold one or two, but also should bring in more than one or two good players. Lets see if he can produce.

jarv

Interesting comments. I have to say....that's modern football. Nobody has any idea what Ray contributed. The answer probabaly lies in the Coleman and Sanchez era. Poor tactics and players with little confidence. Seems like back then, he often looked lost on the touchline. Much was going wrong on the field, so what influence did he have.?
Maybe an ex. Coleman or Sanchez player could answer the questions. We may find out if he leaves. No doubt he will be looked after financially.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

The thing is about Ray is yes he is very loyal, and yes he loves the club, and yes he has done everything ever asked of him to help the club out,thing is,is he good at his job??? that's the only thing that matters bottom line and the only thing you can judge a coach on-all of the other things are nice and as fans we love it when we see someone as dedicated as we are,BUT,in the real world none of that matters,the only thing that matters is are you any good at your job? and that is the thing as fans we will never really know :dft008: