watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The 2016 Official Silly Summer Season Transfer Thread

Started by Friendsoffulham, May 04, 2016, 07:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthogs FC

I fully support the Aluko signing on a free. Another player that I've actually wished Fulham would have signed in the past.

AnEssexFan

Aluko is exactly what we need. Why are people complaining about him?

All summer all I've read is we need wide attacking players, now we're signing our 2nd wide attacking player and people are moaning about it!
@leightonrw07

MJG

Quote from: AnEssexFan on July 07, 2016, 07:27:54 AM
Aluko is exactly what we need. Why are people complaining about him?

All summer all I've read is we need wide attacking players, now we're signing our 2nd wide attacking player and people are moaning about it!
Mainly because he's ....
free
played in the championship
not been kept by a team thats gone to the Pl which must mean hes not good enough for championship team looking to get to the PL
and he wont cost at least £5M

think that covers things ;-)

Holders

Is he related to Eni Aluko? If he's half as good as her he'll do for me.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Chutney

Quote from: Wearethewhites on July 06, 2016, 10:32:37 PM
Quote from: Nero on July 06, 2016, 10:23:22 PM
Quote from: Fulham76 on July 06, 2016, 10:04:50 PM
Quote from: mkras99 on July 06, 2016, 09:43:41 PM
Jonathan Kimbabu ‏@JonathanKimbabu  1h1 hour ago
Sone Aluko close to signing with #Fulham #FFC

Not a good scoring record for a 'forward'.

If this rumour is true we're clearly looking to do things on the cheap again, so another crappy season ahead if this is the level of our business/ambition.

Thought he was a winger

Yes, he's an attacking right winger more than a foward. Bags of pace, strong build, causes defences a lot of problems. Not a 90 minute player though, more impact.

Don't we have Fredericks as our "can't do 90 but is a real handful for 20 or so minutes" player.

Aluko adds depth I suppose, but he's not that standard of player we should be signing for the first team. If he's free and doesn't ask for much in wages then he will be an okay squad addition.
C O Y W

Chutney

Quote from: Barrett487 on July 06, 2016, 07:25:39 PM
Quote from: Riversider on July 06, 2016, 05:16:26 PM
Were owned not by a multi millionaire but by a multi Billionaire, worth over 4 times what Al Fayed is worth, let that sink in for a minute !

I hope you're saying this tongue in cheek, cos my understanding of FFP is that you can't plough endless funds into a team without remaining within a threshold nett loss? It doesn't matter how rich the owner is, it's how sustainable the team is. If i've misinterpreted your post i apologise.

You can if you go up, this is the gamble.
C O Y W

westcliff white

Quote from: Chutney on July 07, 2016, 08:09:29 AM
Were owned not by a multi millionaire but by a multi Billionaire, worth over 4 times what Al Fayed is worth, let that sink in for a minute !

I hope you're saying this tongue in cheek, cos my understanding of FFP is that you can't plough endless funds into a team without remaining within a threshold nett loss? It doesn't matter how rich the owner is, it's how sustainable the team is. If i've misinterpreted your post i apologise.

I am happy to take the gamble, then refuse the sanction as other teams have done
Every day is a Fulham day

MJG

Quote from: westcliff white on July 07, 2016, 08:12:31 AM

I am happy to take the gamble, then refuse the sanction as other teams have done
I get you dont like FFP and I get the QPR and Leicester fines not being paid.
BUT if we gambled and then failed to go up we would be hit with a transfer embargo for as long as it took to balance the books within the allowed budget.
We would not be able to sign anyone (Anyone for cash)as the FL would not sanction the transfers. So the squad you build to gamble on going up would have to slowly be dismantled to help balance the books, while being restricted in new signings (frees or restricted wages).

Now you could argue that we may challenge that, but no team has challenged the transfer embargo restrictions and I dont see anyone doing that soon.

Bronaldinho

We've offered Odoi a 2 year deal according to a few foreign Twitter outlets.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

Hoppus

MBS Sport ‏@MBS_Sport 8 minfor 8 minutter siden

@AndreasSkjetne We've been informed from a few people around Lokeren, player expected at Fulham camp for medical shortly.

Edit: News regarding Odoi's Fulham contract - Some suggest its 2 years with extension, others 3 years with extension option, physical tests later today at #FulhamFC on camp.

Last friday we signed Floyd, Odoi tomorrow? New CB next friday? :D

Chutney

Quote from: MJG on July 07, 2016, 08:18:28 AM

BUT if we gambled and then failed to go up we would be hit with a transfer embargo for as long as it took to balance the books within the allowed budget.
We would not be able to sign anyone (Anyone for cash)as the FL would not sanction the transfers. So the squad you build to gamble on going up would have to slowly be dismantled to help balance the books, while being restricted in new signings (frees or restricted wages).

Now you could argue that we may challenge that, but no team has challenged the transfer embargo restrictions and I dont see anyone doing that soon.

Well yes.... Hence its a gamble. We won't get anywhere if we carry on the way we have over the last two years. If people are happy with where we are, relegation battlers in the championship, then fine lets play it safe and stay.

The alternative is Khan invests whats needed to ensure promotion, and takes the financial hit that follows, which is what I thought was going to happen when we signed McCormack, it was a huge statement of intent to sign the divisions top scorer. It was however nullified by the signings of the likes of Mark Fotheringham....

C O Y W

MJG

Quote from: Chutney on July 07, 2016, 09:34:50 AM

Well yes.... Hence its a gamble. We won't get anywhere if we carry on the way we have over the last two years. If people are happy with where we are, relegation battlers in the championship, then fine lets play it safe and stay.

The alternative is Khan invests whats needed to ensure promotion, and takes the financial hit that follows, which is what I thought was going to happen when we signed McCormack, it was a huge statement of intent to sign the divisions top scorer. It was however nullified by the signings of the likes of Mark Fotheringham....

Personally I think a gamble that could potentially leave the club offloading players over say 4 windows as you weaken the teamk is more dangerous than you think long term.

westcliff white

Quote from: MJG on July 07, 2016, 09:47:59 AM

Personally I think a gamble that could potentially leave the club offloading players over say 4 windows as you weaken the teamk is more dangerous than you think long term.
I see your points MJG but with 2 teams blatantly ignoring the rules, an done of triose teams back in the league it would seem that the rules are not fit for purpose, in fact some could say they favour teams as the league do nothing about hose who refuse to pay or abide by the rules. Under EU law that's illegal as the Spanish teams have just found out with the allowances they received financially, QPR are benefiting financially on this.

Its not about no liking the rules, I thought they would be good for the game, however they basically allow the rich to get richer and terms to ignore them. Any team should challenge the football league given the state with QPR.

I would take the gamble and then see what happens

BedsFFC

Whilst I understand the sentiments, MJG is correct. we've done the ffp league thing to death and MJG has kindly done a whole thread in the menu.

Right now, spending with abandon would be the craziest decision in the last 4 years and the last 4 years has been a catalogue of stupendously bad decision making by the club.

All that said. If we were to get to January and be in the top 5 and really competing, I think that may be worth trying to go big on 1 or 2 players. Or, fast forward 12 months and having come off a season where we had just missed out and we felt we had a strong squad, then, yes, it may be worth the gamble.

What I will say is, despite the gloom from many on here, I think we are going about things the right way. What we have done so far, seems to me to have been a sensible build of a new team.
We lacked pace and drive and we had 2 strikers, that whilst great goalscorers, they would not defend from the front and you get the feeling that they could each get a goal in the game but the defenders wouldn't have had a torrid afternoon. With a slow midfield to boot, it just meant that without the ball at any place on the park, we could be on the back foot.
I get the impression that for the first time in about 4 years, we may be able to get at teams and put them on the back foot. That in itself, eases the pressure on a defence. If that is the case, players like Stearman might be seen in a completely different light this coming season.

westcliff white

Quote from: BedsFFC on July 07, 2016, 10:33:04 AM

Whilst I understand the sentiments, MJG is correct. we've done the ffp league thing to death and MJG has kindly done a whole thread in the menu.

Right now, spending with abandon would be the craziest decision in the last 4 years and the last 4 years has been a catalogue of stupendously bad decision making by the club.

All that said. If we were to get to January and be in the top 5 and really competing, I think that may be worth trying to go big on 1 or 2 players. Or, fast forward 12 months and having come off a season where we had just missed out and we felt we had a strong squad, then, yes, it may be worth the gamble.

What I will say is, despite the gloom from many on here, I think we are going about things the right way. What we have done so far, seems to me to have been a sensible build of a new team.
We lacked pace and drive and we had 2 strikers, that whilst great goalscorers, they would not defend from the front and you get the feeling that they could each get a goal in the game but the defenders wouldn't have had a torrid afternoon. With a slow midfield to boot, it just meant that without the ball at any place on the park, we could be on the back foot.
I get the impression that for the first time in about 4 years, we may be able to get at teams and put them on the back foot. That in itself, eases the pressure on a defence. If that is the case, players like Stearman might be seen in a completely different light this coming season.
Don't get me wrong, I understand the FFP and generally agree with it, but am frustrated and fed up with some teams just ignoring it and not being punished.

If we abide by the rules then the fans and the club need to back the manager and fans through thick and thin as it will be a 2/3 year project to get us back up. Lets face it with what 5 or 6 managers in 3 seasons we hardly back anyone, so that has to change

Holders

This rebuild, the third in three years, needs to be the rebuild that lasts, the foundation for the future not just to be discarded again with another change of manager.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

PaulJ123

Leeds are making some tidy signings today.

Roofe, Green, Grimes

Bracken White

The Kit scenario has been done to death - still have high hopes for Jokanovic, but not much impressed last season. Lets hope, with some of the names mooted, that we'll up the tempo next term. The goal difference is zero, so absolutely key that we CAN defend properly this season. Should be an interesting month, transfer-wise.
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

cmg

This FFP business is a bit of a minefield. It seems poorly put together and is probably not long for this world in its present form. Unfortunately we are stuck with it just now.

Our supporters who say 'go for it and to hell with the consequences', superficially attractive given our seemingly tentative transfer operations and the fact that it isn't our money, seem to be based on two, somewhat different, cases of clubs 'getting away with it' (so far!).

QPR undoubtedly broke the rules big time. I don't think this is disputed. The level of punishment (fine of £10m or £50+) is still in dispute. The QPR argument that they were contractually committed to various high-spending deals before the FFP details were introduced would seem to have some merit in mitigation and some compromise will probably be reached. This one, obviously, won't work again.

The Leicester case seems to be like one of those tax-dodging set ups where various companies are set up to disguise where the money is actually coming from. These things are notoriously difficult to prove and Leicester may well have found a crafty loophole. In any event this loophole is likely to be closed after the event and so, unless we can come up with a craftier one, is no use to us.

To blindly bash on because these two have, seemingly, got away with it would be akin to rushing out and blagging a mail train because the Great Train Robbers were only on remand.

Hoppus

Fulham want to sign Nathaniel Chalobah (Chelsea) on loan.
Dont know much about him.