watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

FoF Member Spotlight - Getting to know YankeeJim

Started by love4ffc, June 17, 2016, 06:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

In this edition of our FoF Member spotlight we have our first Fulham fan from across the pond. 

My father was an old WWII guy who stayed in the navy after the war. I went to 8 different schools in 6 different states my first 8 years of school. Add my time in the military and I've lived in 8 different states, three of them twice and one three times and never lived in the same house for more than three years until I bought this one in 1987. I'm retired now from spending 28 years with a major insurance company as an auto field rep. That probably explains my propensity to argue. Sorry! The only time I've ever seen the Whites play live was when they made the Jacksonville run right after Khan bought the team. Only an exhibition but Dembele had a hat trick and I met a bunch of great Fulham fans. For sure, next time the Whites grace America again, I'll be there. My aim is to find my way to the Cottage, money and health permitting. My ancestors were German on my mother's side and Scot on my dad's so I'll  need to visit the Tower of London and look for remains as well. LOL

How does a yank from SoCal discover real football, much less Fulham? Well, its start when your youngest son comes to you and says, "you always play baseball with Jimmy (my oldest), how about playing soccer with me". My oldest was a very good athletic while the youngest was small for his age and didn't like the normal sports. A few neighbors and I got together and formed an AYSO league and I soon found myself referring and coaching two different teams. Every other year my boys were on different team. The teams are grouped by age and the boys are a year apart. Anyway, both boys played some high school football and then drifted away from the game as they grew older.

I missed it and watched the rebroadcast of a show from Old Blighty that was something like Match of the Day. That was before MLS and about when the USA finally qualified for the World Cup. I still remember the 1992 WC first game, a team consisting of 5 college kids and 6 pros no one ever heard of was blasted by the Czechs 5-1. Well, it was a beginning. From that, I started following Americans as they went to Europe and found that I liked the frenzy of the English game rather than the grab the knee and scream of the Italians. Eddie Lewis was picked up by FFC and that's how I first noticed the Whites. He didn't do so well but shorty after that Claudio Reyna went to Citi. He got some action and did ok for a while but when he fell out of form the Citi fans were bloody ugly towards him. Hence, my distaste for all things Manchester.

Then, it happened, my favorite player of all time got a run out at Preston and than the next year found a home along the Thames. Brian McBride was welcomed by you lot for his effort and heart. That fairness made Fulham and especially Fulham fans, very attractive. I hopped all over the internet chasing Fulham matches, even to the point of destroying one computer and damaging another by the fly by night sites that had a stream of a match. At some point, in one of the chat rooms, somebody mentioned FOF. I tried it and liked it. I found friendship, abet electronically so, from Corked Hat, Finnister and others.  I enjoyed Peabody's jokes and HatterDon's grumpiness, Logicalman's logic, the illumination of Lighthouse, the warmth of Kcat, bike stories from RidgeRider, Roger's pen and even the petty squabbles.  Admin ran a good site. Than came the Great Escape. I still see that through ball from Danny finding Kamara in full stride at Citi. Wow! Then the Euro run capped with Digger's goal. I cried with pride.

Fulham has been a joy and every August I burst with optimism. Just wait until next year!

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

BestOfBrede

RaySmith

Fascinating reading. Good to hear from one of our American friends. Thanks.

YankeeJim

Thanks guys.
Don, doesn't looked like I inspired much conversation. Maybe I'll endorse or oppose Britexit to get some conversation going.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: love4ffc on June 17, 2016, 06:06:07 PM
In this edition of our FoF Member spotlight we have our first Fulham fan from across the pond. 

My father was an old WWII guy who stayed in the navy after the war. I went to 8 different schools in 6 different states my first 8 years of school. Add my time in the military and I've lived in 8 different states, three of them twice and one three times and never lived in the same house for more than three years until I bought this one in 1987. I'm retired now from spending 28 years with a major insurance company as an auto field rep. That probably explains my propensity to argue. Sorry! The only time I've ever seen the Whites play live was when they made the Jacksonville run right after Khan bought the team. Only an exhibition but Dembele had a hat trick and I met a bunch of great Fulham fans. For sure, next time the Whites grace America again, I'll be there. My aim is to find my way to the Cottage, money and health permitting. My ancestors were German on my mother's side and Scot on my dad's so I'll  need to visit the Tower of London and look for remains as well. LOL

How does a yank from SoCal discover real football, much less Fulham? Well, its start when your youngest son comes to you and says, "you always play baseball with Jimmy (my oldest), how about playing soccer with me". My oldest was a very good athletic while the youngest was small for his age and didn't like the normal sports. A few neighbors and I got together and formed an AYSO league and I soon found myself referring and coaching two different teams. Every other year my boys were on different team. The teams are grouped by age and the boys are a year apart. Anyway, both boys played some high school football and then drifted away from the game as they grew older.

I missed it and watched the rebroadcast of a show from Old Blighty that was something like Match of the Day. That was before MLS and about when the USA finally qualified for the World Cup. I still remember the 1992 WC first game, a team consisting of 5 college kids and 6 pros no one ever heard of was blasted by the Czechs 5-1. Well, it was a beginning. From that, I started following Americans as they went to Europe and found that I liked the frenzy of the English game rather than the grab the knee and scream of the Italians. Eddie Lewis was picked up by FFC and that's how I first noticed the Whites. He didn't do so well but shorty after that Claudio Reyna went to Citi. He got some action and did ok for a while but when he fell out of form the Citi fans were bloody ugly towards him. Hence, my distaste for all things Manchester.

Then, it happened, my favorite player of all time got a run out at Preston and than the next year found a home along the Thames. Brian McBride was welcomed by you lot for his effort and heart. That fairness made Fulham and especially Fulham fans, very attractive. I hopped all over the internet chasing Fulham matches, even to the point of destroying one computer and damaging another by the fly by night sites that had a stream of a match. At some point, in one of the chat rooms, somebody mentioned FOF. I tried it and liked it. I found friendship, abet electronically so, from Corked Hat, Finnister and others.  I enjoyed Peabody's jokes and HatterDon's grumpiness, Logicalman's logic, the illumination of Lighthouse, the warmth of Kcat, bike stories from RidgeRider, Roger's pen and even the petty squabbles.  Admin ran a good site. Than came the Great Escape. I still see that through ball from Danny finding Kamara in full stride at Citi. Wow! Then the Euro run capped with Digger's goal. I cried with pride.

Fulham has been a joy and every August I burst with optimism. Just wait until next year!

I can relate to the destroying of computers. I lost at least one watching sketchy FFC streams in the 2000's.

One of my disappointments in the club's relegation is the fact that it happened right as NBCSN took over U.S. coverage of the Premier League. Every match available live...

HatterDon

Quote from: YankeeJim on June 18, 2016, 08:14:17 PM
Thanks guys.
Don, doesn't looked like I inspired much conversation. Maybe I'll endorse or oppose Britexit to get some conversation going.

Well, they haven't formed into groups bringing torches and pitchforks yet!

Nice story and thanks for sharing.

Oh, and I know I wasn't the "Don" you were talking to.  :005:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Lighthouse

I think it is good not to inspire much conversation. It means those that read it found it interesting and uncontroversial and couldn't find fault with anything. I have said before that I still get a kick out of knowing that so many fans from far and wide have continued to support the club. I shouldn't but I find it personally very rewarding.

We spend much of out time debating and discussing points on here. It is sometimes very nice to read without feeling the need to comment.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I spent a lot of time with this chap at the Jacksonville game.
We ate and drank and drank and drank together.
A more dedicated FFC 'across the pond' supporter you could not wish to meet.
He is not of course a real Yankee as he is from the South, who as we all know,
Lost the Civil War.
But we chuckled a lot and I really enjoyed spending time with Jim.
If part of the ultimate plan is to increase our US 'following" then we
need to have more games over here to attract more Yankee Jim type geezers.
A fine fellow
Your round Jim :0)

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Peabody

dannyboi-ffc

Great read Jim.

Lighthouse is spot on by the way
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

f321ffc

Good on ya Yankeejim, let's hope for some friendly's in the good  old US of A in the near future, sort it Mr  051  049:gif
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

YankeeJim

Thanks again gentlemen. Most of you grew up with the sport while, generally we yanks had to go out and find it. Different approaches but ingrained in the soul, none the less. Of course I was thinking of a different Don and Roger, you showman, you'll do anything to get someone to buy the next round. LOL. Your on by the way!

Burt

SoCalJoe

There is an old saying that 'you can get to anywhere driving in Los Angeles in 30 minutes'. Of course I think that originated from 1961, applied to the city limits, and if you were driving at 3 in the morning on relatively empty freeways. What everyone figures is "LA" is incredibly spread apart in terms of mileage. What kind of guy is YJ? The man drove 3 hours (1 1/2 hours each way) for a 2 hour Fulham match that started at 7 am Left Coast time, at a pub with some Fulham fans he never had talked to 'in person'. Even more impressive is the man ordered a pint rather than a coffee.
You can observe a lot by just watching.

YankeeJim

'jus trying to impress you youngsters! LOL

Oh! And the pint was a London Pride, of course.