watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Roy has resigned

Started by The Swan, June 27, 2016, 10:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill taylors apprentice

He has gone down in my estimation not only for his poor decisions as England manager but his attitude while resigning, reading from his pathetic notes.

Having to be persuaded to attend the next days press conference again showing a contemptuous arrogance to the press and fans alike.

Happy to talk the money and benefits but wasn't man enough to face the public when it all went wrong.
He just wanted to run away, shame on him!

Oakeshott

"Having to be persuaded to attend the next days press conference again showing a contemptuous arrogance to the press and fans alike.

Happy to talk the money and benefits but wasn't man enough to face the public when it all went wrong.
He just wanted to run away, shame on him!"

I disagree. I thought Roy resigned with dignity after the match and he clearly wasn't in the mood to discuss the performance in detail the following day, probably because he didn't understand it (and no one else does) and didn't want to get into specifics such as why, suddenly, does a top player like Rooney suddenly become unable to trap a ball or pass it accurately 10 yards. He made it clear that he took responsibility and didn't want to say anything that might hurt the players, the large majority of whom will be playing for us for years to come, not because they are great by top international standards but because they are among the best we have.

I feel that in Roy we had a decent, principled and committed manager who did his best but came up short. No one will be feeling the disappointment more than him.

RaySmith

It must have been very hard for him watching that complete shambles, and knowing that was his career going down the pan. 

I'm sure  he had prepared the players, but after letting in two  soft goals, after going in front when they seemed to turn off - which  at this level you don't expect, but  this young team always looked inexperienced and too reliant on Rooney - the team just  felt apart when the pressure was on in the second -half.

Rooney had been  very good in the previous games, but even he became  totally inept - as they all were. They may not be the best in the world, but they are better than that display.

One thing about  Wales and Iceland - is their freedom from  pressure - there aren't any expectations placed on them.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Oakeshott on June 29, 2016, 09:01:48 PM

"Having to be persuaded to attend the next days press conference again showing a contemptuous arrogance to the press and fans alike.

He just wanted to run away, shame on him!"

I disagree. I thought Roy resigned with dignity after the match and he clearly wasn't in the mood to discuss the performance in detail the following day, probably because he didn't understand it (and no one else does) and didn't want to get into specifics such as why, suddenly, does a top player like Rooney suddenly become unable to trap a ball or pass it accurately 10 yards. He made it clear that he took responsibility and didn't want to say anything that might hurt the players, the large majority of whom will be playing for us for years to come, not because they are great by top international standards but because they are among the best we have.

I feel that in Roy we had a decent, principled and committed manager who did his best but came up short. No one will be feeling the disappointment more than him.

You have a very odd idea of "dignity".

He was shifty and as for taking "responsibility" he may of said the word but he failed to recognise it was part of his well paid job to face the press and by association the public and explain the shambles.

We have all seen plenty of bland meaningless press interviews and he could have at least gone through the motions of being decent but all we saw was an angry man who could wait to get the hell out of the spot light.

He may of got his resignation in first but I bet he was still being paid at least until his luxury chauffeured car deposited him home, so he should have been man enough to face the flak rather than trying to scuttle off.

I'm not arguing that he's not a decent man generally but he's cracked under pressure and let himself down on this occasion.

Oakeshott

"You have a very odd idea of "dignity"

Maybe, but it is my idea and I stand on it.

Roy has put in several years' work and must have been heartbroken by the shambles he saw in the second half of the Iceland game. In the circumstances of such disappointment (and of course the end of his hopes of making further progress in this competition and possibly the next World Cup), I thought he conducted himself absolutely properly. A thoroughly decent man to the end.

And the money is neither here nor there. Do you seriously imagine that well before being appointed England manager Roy was not already a wealthy man by most standards? He wasn't in that job for the money, but for the pride he has in our country and the challenge to his skills and experience as manager. At the age he was when appointed he could have stayed on earning plenty at WBA or decided to enjoy a well earned retirement.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Oakeshott on June 29, 2016, 10:19:56 PM

Roy has put in several years' work and must have been heartbroken by the shambles he saw in the second half of the Iceland game. In the circumstances of such disappointment (and of course the end of his hopes of making further progress in this competition and possibly the next World Cup), I thought he conducted himself absolutely properly. A thoroughly decent man to the end.

And the money is neither here nor there. Do you seriously imagine that well before being appointed England manager Roy was not already a wealthy man by most standards? He wasn't in that job for the money, but for the pride he has in our country and the challenge to his skills and experience as manager. At the age he was when appointed he could have stayed on earning plenty at WBA or decided to enjoy a well earned retirement.

Keep digging, the more you try to excuse his behaviour the sillier it sounds.

That's me done on this matter, its a minor detail compared to the teams performances over the years and the FA's failure to grasp whats needed to succeed.

gang

Why is there always a big shock when England lose? they are not a successful football team capable of winning competitions they're just average players.

epsomraver

Quote from: bobby01 on June 28, 2016, 05:37:39 AM
A sad end Roy, I love you to bits for what you did for us, but as soon as I saw the team with Sterling and Sturridge starting I knew we were out. Neither can control a ball and continually turn over possession, Kane has been a shadow of the player he has been all season. The only one who looked like a good player last night was Rashfords little cameo, how sad is that. As for Rooney, never should have gone, you bowed down to media pressure. I really wish you well Roy but what a horrible end for a noble man. But then that is the life of an England manager I suppose.
0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg

Oakeshott

"Keep digging, the more you try to excuse his behaviour the sillier it sounds."

From my perspective, the more petulant your position.

epsomraver

Quote from: Oakeshott on June 29, 2016, 10:19:56 PM

:plus one: well said, at least there are some on here who are sensible

epsomraver

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on June 29, 2016, 08:52:32 PM
He has gone down in my estimation not only for his poor decisions as England manager but his attitude while resigning, reading from his pathetic notes.

Having to be persuaded to attend the next days press conference again showing a contemptuous arrogance to the press and fans alike.

What a poor post about a decent man! You really believe that Roy had the last say on the team selection? there is a lot to the FA that we don't know and they will do their  best to keep hidden, had an interesting talk to an ex premiership manager who is an old friend of Roy's and I was amazed what he told me , I cannot say what was said as the conversation was private and I promised to not repeat what was said. No wonder nobody wants the job!

Jims Dentist

When we are in the bottom four around Nov/Dec let's hope he is available.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: epsomraver on June 30, 2016, 10:35:43 AM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on June 29, 2016, 08:52:32 PM

What a poor post about a decent man! You really believe that Roy had the last say on the team selection? there is a lot to the FA that we don't know and they will do their  best to keep hidden, had an interesting talk to an ex premiership manager who is an old friend of Roy's and I was amazed what he told me , I cannot say what was said as the conversation was private and I promised to not repeat what was said. No wonder nobody wants the job!

Let me clarify if possible.

As the manger I was disappointed he failed to deliver results at the knock out stages, there was no method in the tactics and he didn't know his best team etc.
Nothing new here then for an England manager, but I thought he would be different.

As for the way he handled the resignation/interviews situation most who are not FFC fans have at the very least thought it rude and arrogant so don't be blinkered to what you have witnessed.

Granted the problems with the national team and the FA's attitude are many, hence the continued failures but that wasn't the discussion.

He handled the end appallingly, not what I expect from a decent man but hey ho ! he's human I'll forgive him, its not a major crime but I bet he wished he had handled it better.

But you are right about the FA nothing will change until its reformed.