watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Hope Solo - Story Updated August 30th

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, August 25, 2016, 07:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToodlesMcToot

I will say that she couldn't have picked a worse time to pull this crap. The US women's team have been one of the larger voices in sport for equal compensation for women and men which would make them one of the larger voices overall. And Hope has been one of the more outspoken, and rightly so, advocates within the team.

With her unsportsman(woman)like actions, she's essentially diverted the conversation and removed herself as one of the movement's outspoken leaders, essentially doing US Soccer a favor.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Holders

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on August 25, 2016, 02:09:37 PM
I will say that she couldn't have picked a worse time to pull this crap. The US women's team have been one of the larger voices in sport for equal compensation for women and men which would make them one of the larger voices overall. And Hope has been one of the more outspoken, and rightly so, advocates within the team.

With her unsportsman(woman)like actions, she's essentially diverted the conversation and removed herself as one of the movement's outspoken leaders, essentially doing US Soccer a favor.

It's a more professional game over there so it's possibly a different contextual environment to the games I've seen which have been entertaining and apparently sportswomanlike. 
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

FulhamDC

Solo's suspension has nothing to do with her comments, that's just a smokescreen.  US soccer has also cancelled her contract, which is not just harsh, it's punitive.  For a couple of months now the women on the national team have wanted to renegotiate their contract with US Soccer to get better pay, and Hope Solo has been the most vocal player in this effort.  That's why they suspended her and cancelled her contract.

Of course, this is just for the national team, which doesn't have anything but friendlies over the next 6 months.  The women's league here in the states is back in action and they need to sell tickets, and Solo will be in goal for her Seattle team next week.

Holders

So a 6-month suspension is meaningless!

King_Crud

But did she shoot Greedo first?

f5shooter

The Sweden game wouldn't have mattered if she hadn't been nut-megged from 20 meters against Colombia....

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: King_Crud on August 25, 2016, 02:22:32 PM

That's a very niche reference there, but a very funny one too. So kudos to you sir
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

The Equalizer

Does she work for Mr Waverley?
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

ToodlesMcToot

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Lighthouse

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

The Equalizer

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 25, 2016, 03:21:37 PM
Quote from: The Equalizer on August 25, 2016, 03:13:03 PM

Does she work for Mr Waverley?

April Dancer was a fine finisher.

"She's one lady who knows how to take care of herself..."
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Barrett487

If there had been a six month ban for diving, would players dive?

Just saying....

YankeeJim

Hope Solo is a spoiled egomaniac who happens to be the very best at what she does. The big issue with her is that she faces trial for domestic abuse. She beat up her sister and her 17 year old nephew last year and due process has lagged, I suspect because the Olympics were coming up. That, and as someone said, the women making noise about money. The most watched football match in US history was the women's 1999 WC final with China. They put 90,000+ in the Rose Bowl and the TV audience was unreal. Not so much since then.  The woman's league in the US doesn't even get press coverage, much less any appreciable attendance. 
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

love4ffc

Just to update this topic.....The Washington Times is reporting that not only has Hope Solo received a six month ban but now has had her contract terminated with the US Women's National Team. 

WARNING STRONG LANGUAGE CONTAINED IN VIDEO
Read story here: 
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/aug/30/hope-solos-contract-with-us-soccer-terminated-17-f/

Hope Solo's contract with U.S. soccer terminated: '17 f–ing years and it's over'

By Ken Shepherd - The Washington Times - Tuesday, August 30, 2016

A documentary film team got some unexpected, emotionally raw footage of an angry Hope Solo moments after she learned she was suspended from the U.S. Women's National Team (USWNT).

"Seventeen f–ing years and it's over!" an angry Ms. Solo is shown yelling as her husband, Jerramy Stevens, a former NFL tight end, tries to console her. The moment was captured by a videographer for a documentary to be titled, "Keeping Score," which follows the lives of three USWNT players, according to the Daily Mail.

U.S. Soccer announced Ms. Solo's half-year suspension on Aug. 24, a punishment levied for the 35-year-old goalkeeper's denouncing the Swedish national soccer team as "cowards."

"Beyond the athletic arena, and beyond the results, the Olympics celebrate and represent the ideals of fair play and respect. We expect all of our representatives to honor those principles, with no exceptions," U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati said in a statement at the time.

Sweden had pulled off a shocking upset of the favored U.S. women in a penalty kickoff shootout in the Aug. 12 quarterfinal game. As a result the USWNT was eliminated from medal contention, a stunning blow to a team that has won gold in every Olympics since 1996, except for the 2000 Syndey games, in which it won silver.

For her part, Ms. Solo remains unapologetic about her remarks.  "I could not be the player I am without being the person I am, even when I haven't made the best choices or said the right things," Ms. Solo recently told Sports Illustrated, the Daily Mail reported.

Hope Solo has taken an indefinite personal leave from the Portland Thorns. 

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

NogoodBoyo

Can't stand being a loser, eh?  So how does it feel, Ms Solo?
Nogood "despicable character reaping what she sowed, isit" Boyo

Holders

MikeW

On the very rare occasions I have watched women's football on TV in the UK it always seems to be played out to empty stands.  The only reason the BBC give it so much coverage is because they've got sod all else and are cringingly PC.
But each to their own.

As for Hope Solo, she seems one tough cookie who as our American friends often say, operates on the wrong side of the tracks.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Beamer

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 31, 2016, 09:29:46 AM
Quote from: NogoodBoyo on August 31, 2016, 03:25:54 AM
Can't stand being a loser, eh?  So how does it feel, Ms Solo?
Nogood "despicable character reaping what she sowed, isit" Boyo

Solo Hope has two Hopes, Bob Hope and No Hope.
and Bob just left town.

snarks

I think for what she said its all wrong, however she clearly has lots of issues and that was the excuse they needed.

Thankfully Fulham don't need another keeper.

Burt

She needs a night out with Ryan Lochte to compare notes  :dft011: