more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sport - what is your

Started by H4usuallysitting, September 04, 2016, 03:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaySmith

Quote from: Camber cottager on September 05, 2016, 01:00:50 PM
Iam 49 took up running last year and did hastings half marathon this year. Also 8 months in to kickboxing  I find it hard though

Good on you.
I was about 44 when I took up running - starting with a 10k, and soon moving on to half -marathons and marathons. I'm still running  today aged 67, and now do fell races  local to where I live. This weekend past I did 5.5 mile fell race on the Saturday and a 20 mile hilly bike ride on Sunday.

I know an eighty year old who still regularly completes tough fell races.
I don't think I will be able to go on that long though, but he's a great example of what you can do.

I also cycle  and take part in 100k audax events -where you have to  complete a challenging  route in a certain time. I also took up Olympic distance,  open water triathlon at age 57, and did about eight over a few years. I have put that on hold because my swimming is so rubbish, but am thinking of doing  one with a pool swim.

Exercise is great and  keeps me going - gives me an interest apart from watching Fulham, which I can't afford to do too often. In some ways it's better when you're older, when your boozing days are probably decreased.

Well done with the kick boxing - I don't think I've got the flexibility for that.

Dixie

I pine for the heady days when i played football 4-5 times a week in various formats.

A couple of years ago (after about 4 years of virtually no exercise) i decided to get back into tennis, but tore my achilles after 3 weeks! That put me out for 9 months.

After that, i decided to take up cycling (road bikes) and that has become something i really enjoy doing with a group of similarly middle aged people in lycra every Sunday morning.

Re: the opening post - is angling a sport? Brings us back to that debate about what defines a sport!!
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

snarks

I run, cycle, swim and play golf, nothing too competitive and purely for fun. My days of competitive team sports are a distant memory

alfie

Quote from: nose on September 05, 2016, 11:01:26 AM
table tennis. I 'play' in a local league.
If I would have ever been trained/coached as a youngster I could have been a contender
as it is I struggle to keep up, but i do have my cunning

Ahh Nose that was my first love, i used to play for Essex when i was young, trouble is that was the beginings of my knee troubles.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

nose

Quote from: alfie on September 05, 2016, 03:17:31 PM
Quote from: nose on September 05, 2016, 11:01:26 AM
table tennis. I 'play' in a local league.
If I would have ever been trained/coached as a youngster I could have been a contender
as it is I struggle to keep up, but i do have my cunning

Ahh Nose that was my first love, i used to play for Essex when i was young, trouble is that was the beginings of my knee troubles.

My boy is really good but it seems to me my arms move slower and the ball comes at me faster than previously.

I am playing tonight (training really but not quite sure for what!). hot sweaty and aching at the end at least proves I am still alive.

GordonMac

Been training Brazilian jiu-jitsu for over 6 years now, on and off with some MMA.
COYW.

fulhamben

used to play cricket (which i loved, but good it hurts, and squash. mainly just golf nowadays
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

fulhamben

Quote from: The Equalizer on September 05, 2016, 12:50:17 PM
Skiing for me. I stopped playing competitive sports years ago, but I rediscovered my love of skiing about 10 years ago and cherish that one week every year where I can go kamikaze down a mountain strapped to a pair of planks at 50mph.
id rather snowboard than have a summer holiday. nothing beats fresh powder

FFChris

Nearly 53 years old and still play cricket in the Thames Valley League weekly and football in a the Farnham and District vets league (over 35's) which works out about playing 2 out of every 3 weeks.  In between times I try to run to maintain enough fitness to be able to play each weekend.  Hate to think of the time when I won't be able to play anymore.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 05, 2016, 03:29:53 PM
Quote from: Camber cottager on September 05, 2016, 01:00:50 PM
Iam 49 took up running last year and did hastings half marathon this year. Also 8 months in to kickboxing  I find it hard though

I have been chasing the wife round the bedroom for years, and that I can guarantee keeps you fit. 

Its the wife that has chased me round for years.
I'd rather have a cuppa and an iced bun... :005:

Mince n Tatties

The wife and I were good Ten Pin Bowlers in our day, used to
Go 2 or 3 times a week.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: Dixie on September 05, 2016, 02:34:30 PM
I pine for the heady days when i played football 4-5 times a week in various formats.

A couple of years ago (after about 4 years of virtually no exercise) i decided to get back into tennis, but tore my achilles after 3 weeks! That put me out for 9 months.

After that, i decided to take up cycling (road bikes) and that has become something i really enjoy doing with a group of similarly middle aged people in lycra every Sunday morning.

Re: the opening post - is angling a sport? Brings us back to that debate about what defines a sport!!

Blinking cheek....... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/10870807/10-things-no-one-tells-you-before-you-take-up-fishing.html

filham

Quote from: Supermitch on September 04, 2016, 05:58:37 PM
Besides watching cricket in the summer (Middlesex in the County Championship), I play Table Tennis in a couple of local leagues.  Also help with the running of my club and the coaching of the junior players.

Paul Drinkwell the English number 1 and Olympic player was at my club practicing this morning, good to watch.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 05, 2016, 05:00:22 PM
The wife and I were good Ten Pin Bowlers in our day, used to
Go 2 or 3 times a week.

. A friend of mine got a job at the local bowling alley. I said tenpin, he said no FULL TIME!!
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

jarv

I forgot to mention, I ski every week in Vermont. 2 days a week during the season. 2 hour drive from where I live. Ben mentioned snowboarding....eeek. Dont want my feet tied together. At my age, I will stay on skis.

The Equalizer

Quote from: jarv on September 06, 2016, 12:28:53 PM
I forgot to mention, I ski every week in Vermont. 2 days a week during the season. 2 hour drive from where I live. Ben mentioned snowboarding....eeek. Dont want my feet tied together. At my age, I will stay on skis.

Yep! I've always been tempted to try boarding, but I just love skiing too much to do it. That could be largely down to living in Wandsworth and having to plan a long time in advance to manage even a week's skiing.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

The Equalizer

Quote from: fulhamben on September 05, 2016, 04:04:43 PM
Skiing for me. I stopped playing competitive sports years ago, but I rediscovered my love of skiing about 10 years ago and cherish that one week every year where I can go kamikaze down a mountain strapped to a pair of planks at 50mph.

I think my next trip is going to be Sierra Nevada in April. 5 days skiing, 5 days hitting the beaches and bars in Marbella.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

fulhamben

Quote from: The Equalizer on September 06, 2016, 12:39:03 PM

Yep! I've always been tempted to try boarding, but I just love skiing too much to do it. That could be largely down to living in Wandsworth and having to plan a long time in advance to manage even a week's skiing.
Must admit boarding is probably a younger man's game. Purely for the way you have to get up and down off the floor when you stop and start. Really starts to make you ache after a day or two. Probably ready to go back to skis if I'm honest. Plus button lifts are tricky and somewhat embarrassing if you get it wrong. Which I did alot.

fulhamben

Quote from: The Equalizer on September 06, 2016, 12:39:56 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on September 05, 2016, 04:04:43 PM

I think my next trip is going to be Sierra Nevada in April. 5 days skiing, 5 days hitting the beaches and bars in Marbella.
niiiiiicccceeee

The Equalizer

Quote from: fulhamben on September 06, 2016, 12:47:54 PM
Quote from: The Equalizer on September 06, 2016, 12:39:03 PM

Must admit boarding is probably a younger man's game. Purely for the way you have to get up and down off the floor when you stop and start. Really starts to make you ache after a day or two. Probably ready to go back to skis if I'm honest. Plus button lifts are tricky and somewhat embarrassing if you get it wrong. Which I did alot.

What you insinuating? I'm only 40!  :dft011: