Main Menu

nfr sky are really trying to hype up

Started by fulhamben, September 05, 2016, 02:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

I prefer the old FARM derby...norwich v ipswich. :005:

Wingnut

Quote from: jarv on September 05, 2016, 03:46:26 PM
I have no allegiance to either and frankly was appalled at the hatred which existed between supporters.

How bitter is the rivalry between the two sets of fans? I always presumed that the whole thing was overhyped by the media.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: fulhamben on September 05, 2016, 02:47:22 PM
the old/new (depending on your view on the newly formed club) firm derby. is anyone actually going to bother to watch it.

Why WOULDNT Sky try to hype this up? They're showing it and want to maximise it so they'll sell it to the masses in whatever way possible.

Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but look at the amount of people who follow both teams? Their following is huge, most of Scotland and Ireland both north and south will be watching it, for various reasons. Some people grow up following one or the other team like die hards. Because of their different backgrounds and close proximity , of course they will clash, usually overdoing it.
No one is asking you to bother watching it but both teams have a massive following and a lot of people WILL watch it

RaySmith

People all over the world will want to watch it, and support  one team or the other for historical reasons that have nothing to do with football.

Mince n Tatties

The North Belfast derby is worse between Linfield and
Cliftonville, just normally a few disappearances, stabbings
and Arson attacks, but its kept quiet by the Media in case
It stirs up trouble..Bleedin Bonkers.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: GordonMac on September 05, 2016, 03:54:26 PM
I'm a former season ticket holder at Ibrox. This city is an embarrassment at the best of times bit even more so at Old(new) firm time.

I enjoy football and support Rangers but i have no interest in the absolute pettyminded drivval that comes from both sets of fans.

Shame that sky have put two games on I fancy watching though.

My wife and I were on holiday on the West Coast of Scotland
A couple of years ago, and stayed a couple of days in Glasgow.
The city centre is far from the Pits as you call it, magnificent buildings
Galleries and attractions, and everyone one we talked to was helpful
and polite.
A couple of girls who served us afternoon tea in a Lyons type
Cafe couldn't have been more helpful and charming.Weve never had service
Like that where we live in Suffolk.
I always judge a place and people as I find them, and Glasgow was
Far from being the Pits....Just my opinion though.

GordonMac

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 06, 2016, 07:06:12 AM
Quote from: GordonMac on September 05, 2016, 03:54:26 PM
I'm a former season ticket holder at Ibrox. This city is an embarrassment at the best of times bit even more so at Old(new) firm time.

I enjoy football and support Rangers but i have no interest in the absolute pettyminded drivval that comes from both sets of fans.

Shame that sky have put two games on I fancy watching though.

My wife and I were on holiday on the West Coast of Scotland
A couple of years ago, and stayed a couple of days in Glasgow.
The city centre is far from the Pits as you call it, magnificent buildings
Galleries and attractions, and everyone one we talked to was helpful
and polite.
A couple of girls who served us afternoon tea in a Lyons type
Cafe couldn't have been more helpful and charming.Weve never had service
Like that where we live in Suffolk.
I always judge a place and people as I find them, and Glasgow was
Far from being the Pits....Just my opinion though.

Certainly you're entitled to your opinion, I've visits cities myself and have a different opinion from those who live there, best example I have is staying for a month in Queens, New York and finding it a magnificent community.

I'm just sharing my view from living in Glasgow all my 34 years, the town centre and many areas along with it for that matter change completely on old firm day, it does indeed turn the city vile and makes the whole "friendly Glasgow" disappear for many hours.

Of course Sky isn't gonna build a program around those facts, it's not a nice place to be during or after this game.

Glad you liked Glasgow, I'm just back from a weekend in London with the wife and we loved it also. Think it's maybe due to it being a new experience that we become blinded by the asthetic beauty and not the underbelly of grime ha..
COYW.

General

Why are people calling the old firm derby the /new firm derby... the club have been going non stop since rangers got relegated and they've still played each other.

fulhamben

Quote from: General on September 06, 2016, 08:37:30 AM
Why are people calling the old firm derby the /new firm derby... the club have been going non stop since rangers got relegated and they've still played each other.
Because the fact of the matter is, that the original rangers were liquidated. If it were any other company they would have to trade under a different name. They made an exception in this case to allow the team to restart up and use the old name.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

cmg

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 06, 2016, 06:54:30 AM

Peace and love compared to when Belfast Celtic were in existence. The poisonous enmity between them (a green and white mirror-image of their Glasgow namesakes) and Linfield (still a blue and white Rangers clone) culminated in a riot at the end of the Boxing Day match, 1948. Several players were injured and Belfast Celtic decided to disband.
One of the injured Celtic players was Robin Lawler who subsequently had a decent career at Fulham

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: fulhamben on September 06, 2016, 09:22:39 AM
Because the fact of the matter is, that the original rangers were liquidated. If it were any other company they would have to trade under a different name. They made an exception in this case to allow the team to restart up and use the old name.

A pal of mine an Airdrieonians fan says they all call Rangers
The Sevco Boys...lol

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: cmg on September 06, 2016, 11:11:46 AM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 06, 2016, 06:54:30 AM

Peace and love compared to when Belfast Celtic were in existence. The poisonous enmity between them (a green and white mirror-image of their Glasgow namesakes) and Linfield (still a blue and white Rangers clone) culminated in a riot at the end of the Boxing Day match, 1948. Several players were injured and Belfast Celtic decided to disband.
One of the injured Celtic players was Robin Lawler who subsequently had a decent career at Fulham

Just looked it up and read about it.Your right bloody
Insane the lot of them..

fulhamben

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 06, 2016, 11:30:11 AM

The Sevco Boys...lol
Yes, I've heard them called that many a time.must admit, I haven't a clue what sevco means

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: fulhamben on September 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AM

The Sevco Boys...lol
Yes, I've heard them called that many a time.must admit, I haven't a clue what sevco means

Isn't it the company that bought them?

fulhamben

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 06, 2016, 11:41:41 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on September 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AM

The Sevco Boys...lol

Isn't it the company that bought them?
Yes just checked it out. Wouldn't say bought them. Sevco Scotland limited basically formed in 2012 and bought all the assets off of us for a ridiculously low price and later changed their name to rangers football club limited. As a Football fan I'm happy that the new club was formed, but as a tax payer one has to question how the hmrc allowed it's assets to be sold off really cheaply. Especially as I heard that some relestate company offered a lot more.

jarv

When in Glasgow, go to the transport museum.  It is amazing, free (you can donate on the way out if you want). The walk along the river to get to it rivals the Thames, great job done cleaning up and rebuilding.

fulhamben

Quote from: jarv on September 06, 2016, 12:23:50 PM
When in Glasgow, go to the transport museum.  It is amazing, free (you can donate on the way out if you want). The walk along the river to get to it rivals the Thames, great job done cleaning up and rebuilding.
spend alot of time in Paisley due to work. Now that's a place that could do with a little regeneration or free stab vests for outsiders

toshes mate

Of course the bad events still happen all over the world.  Just been reading about violence in football in Cyprus where referees are targets of bomb attacks, and we all know about South American soccer.   It seems passions can run high when you throw your heart and soul into something or have it drummed into you as a kid.  In so far as the dealings of Rangers FC I would say they served the minimum time they could and are now back in the saddle although it'll be a year or so before they are really challenging Celtic's current superiority.

SP

Back when we used to play both clubs at home pre-season, my memory is of Celtic fans wanting to sing & wave their flags while the Rangers fans wanted to fight anybody or everybody, including L.Boa Morte.

fulhamben

Quote from: SP on September 06, 2016, 05:42:30 PM
Back when we used to play both clubs at home pre-season, my memory is of Celtic fans wanting to sing & wave their flags while the Rangers fans wanted to fight anybody or everybody, including L.Boa Morte.
I can remember the Ira songs, don't recall any fights with rangers