News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Who are the mos talented young players we've ever had...

Started by General, September 07, 2016, 02:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaronmcguigan

Sambou ended up at Aylesbury via Bedford.

Wayne Brown is now at Newcastle Jets via a long spell in Finland

Not 100% sure but dont think Arthurworrey has found a club yet

mrmicawbers

Supermac was pretty decent.Heard he left after knocking Johnnie Haynes out.

bog

Being an old sod has to be Johnny Haynes.  Alan Mullery and George Cohen are not far behind. Then Les Barrett and Allan Clarke. Mind you I am with those who were heart broken when Rodney Marsh was sold. marveled over his debut goal against Villa at the Putney End.  Plus Malcolm MacDonald. I saw his debut as a sub up at at Sheffield United. He was such an exciting centre forward...then he was gone for a pittance.   :doh:

092.gif

bog

As regards Rodney Marsh's departure. I read his book and he said it was because he could not stand Vic Buckingham (as many others couldn't) and gave him a mouthful once and that was the end of that. 

092.gif

cmg

I think that the likelihood of young stars eventually 'making it' is overestimated by quite a large factor. I know that over the years my expectations have been proven by events to be hugely over the top.

In October 2006 this England u19 side drew 1-1 with Italy. I choose it because it was obviously a pretty good result and because there are a few names famiiar to us Fulham fans. I'll leave it up to the reader to decide how successful these guys have been:
England: D.Button, M.Little, Ryan Bertrand, F.Muamba, E.Omozusi, M.Mancienne, G.Barnes, M.Johnson, C.Lindfield (K.Etuhu), H.Ephraim, A.Hammill

One or two other teams more or less at random to give some idea as to how many went on to fulfill their promise. These are u19s, not schoolboys.

March 2008 England 3 Russia 1 - Button played 10 times for the u19s
England: D.Button (J.Steele) C.Obeng, J.Cork, J.Tomkins (M.Beevers) C.Clark, S.Sinclair (Fabian Delph) J.Walker, Andy Carroll (T.Obadeyi) E.Upson (J.Stanislas) S.Aluko [yep], J.Henry

August 2009 Ukraine 2 England 0 - Final of UEFA u19 champs in Ukraine
England: J.Steele, K.Trippier, J.Mattock, D.Gosling, Kyle Walker, M.Briggs (G.Hoyte), Danny Welbeck (N.Ranger), D.Drinkwater (A.Tutte), J.Bennett, N.Delfouneso, H.Lansbury

June 2011  England 1 Spain 1
England: Jack Butland, J.Hurst, J.Robinson, A.Wisom, J.Obita (K.Kennedy), G.Taft (J.Lascelles), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, C.Coady, M.Ngoo (S.Berahino), Harry Kane, T.Ince

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: bencher on September 07, 2016, 06:50:48 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 07, 2016, 05:14:33 PM
Rodney Marsh.

Always thought Michael Mison had it to reach the top.
What happened there.

I can still hear my dad's groans as Michael Mison hit a shot into Row Z from about 6 yards out. Dreadful player.

He wasn't as a young kid, just seemed to hit a wall
and go backwards.

Sir Alec of good Stock

Rodney Marsh, Alan Mullery, Tony Gale and Teddy Maybank.

NogoodBoyo

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on September 07, 2016, 10:34:57 PM

Didn't Maybank come from Chelsea or Brighton?
I didn't see Mullery, MacDonald, Marsh or Haynes as youngsters, but I was very impressed with the way the 17 year old Tony Gale filled Bobby Moore's giant shoes.  He had so much time on the ball, was a gifted passer, could stroll out of defence with ridiculous ease and could put free-kicks on a sixpence.  Like Moore, he knew how to jockey opposing players away from the danger area and rarely had to make a last ditch tackle.  Such talent.
Nogood "but what do I know, isit" Boyo

NogoodBoyo

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 08, 2016, 01:33:17 AM
Quote from: NogoodBoyo on September 08, 2016, 12:19:29 AM

I didn't see Mullery, MacDonald, Marsh or Haynes as youngsters, but I was very impressed with the way the 17 year old Tony Gale filled Bobby Moore's giant shoes.  He had so much time on the ball, was a gifted passer, could stroll out of defence with ridiculous ease and could put free-kicks on a sixpence.  Like Moore, he knew how to jockey opposing players away from the danger area and rarely had to make a last ditch tackle.  Such talent.

I agree with you about Tony Gale, absolute quality, very skilful, a class act, and underestimated, if my memory serves me his centre back partner a lot of the time was Richard Money. I cannot understand as far as I know, how he was never selected for England, although he did represent the U23s.

Richard Money went for a tidy sum to Pool, didn't he?  They got the wrong center back in my view.  They were a tidy young partnership though.  Like you, I could never understand how Gale never played for England.  I think he was captain of the Under 17's (not that this means much).  Still, he had so much class.  Always a joy to watch. 
The only other CB's who looked as comfortable and creative on the ball were Bobby Moore and Marius Tresor who played for France in one of the World Cup's (Argentina, I think?).  But, like Beckenbauer, he was more of a sweeper.
Nogood "creative center backs are great for the game, isit"  Boyo

AlexW132

Bronaldinho

I am and was always a big fan of Kasami, Tankovic, Dembele (Moussa), Islamovic.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

toshes mate

Quote from: cmg on September 07, 2016, 04:18:38 PM
I didn't see Marsh as a junior. But I did see him make his debut. He would have been 18 then and won the game v.Villa with a blinding shot from an impossible angle.
Naturally we didn't see him again that season.
The next season he nearly ended his career when running into a goalpost while scoring the winner at Leicester. So that put paid to that season.
The next season he was our leading scorer in the top division.
The next season we sold him for peanuts.
The season after he scored 44 goals - for QPR!

No wonder some of us refuse to get too excited at more recent managerial ineptitude.

The 'disagreement' between Haynes and Marsh were well known. Mentioning Villa, Haynes stuck Marsh in goal when Fulham were leading 3-2 and Macedo was injured in the days before substitutions were allowed.  Marsh, some would say clowning around, made emphatic and balletic dives which were all just fractionally short of fantastic saves (even for a proper keeper) and Villa ran out 6-3 winners.  I think we all got the message it was either Haynes or Marsh but no room for both of them at Craven Cottage.  On his first return to Craven Cottage under floodlights Marsh had a shot from the half way line straight from the kick-off which almost brushed Fulham's right hand post with our goalie nowhere.  You just couldn't keep the lad down.  Great character. 

filham

Quote from: AlexW132 on September 08, 2016, 07:52:43 AM
Surprised no-one has mentioned Ryan Sessegnon yet

Early days for Sessegnon, most of us have only seen him play a couple of times but I am hoping that by Christmas we will all be considering him as an established member of the team and one with a big price on his head.

Lighthouse

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on September 08, 2016, 12:19:29 AM

Maybank came from Chelsea on loan. Was a great success and we bought him. Sold him to Brighton where he never clicked. Bought back to Fulham but he had lost his sharpness and awareness. Goodness knows what Brighton did do him but he was a shadow of his former self.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Southcoastffc

What is meant by 'talent'?  e.g. Berbatov was a supremely talented no 9, but I'd rather have Brian McBride, whose application made him far more effective.  So, as a young Fulham player I'd take Sean box to box Davis.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.