watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Team for Derby?

Started by J.Perkins, December 15, 2016, 11:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Perkins

Considering Martin is ineligible, there will be at least 1 notable change.

Button

Fredericks Kalas Madl Malone

McDonald Cairney

Aluko Johansen Piazon

Ayite

Derby do play Baird at right back, so pace on the left wing isn't as necessary. Ayite has previously played upfront for Bastia, and the other options don't tempt at all. Aluko can't finish 80% of chances, and Smith and Woodrow are below average. Too early for Humphreys.

Southfield White

I spoke to my mate yesterday who is Derbyshire assistant manager.
They  will come to give us a game , well that was before I told him teams that do that we do well against, so he's now worried.
We will need to be at our best to beat them as they are the infirm team in the Division

f321ffc

Quote from: Southfield White on December 15, 2016, 12:21:52 PM

They  will come to give us a game , well that was before I told him teams that do that we do well against, so he's now worried.
We will need to be at our best to beat them as they are the infirm team in the Division
The infirm team in the division does that mean they have lots of injury's? 064.gif
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Thamesbank

If they are "infirm" we shouldn't have much trouble with them lol.

Feel much more confident about this one than Tuesdays game.

FPT

Firstly, I'm going to be pedantic and say we're playing a 433 now. The 4231 went a while.

It's a really interesting game this one, perhaps the most interesting of the season for us. Derby are on terrific winning form, seven in a row including teams chasing promotion, beating Norwich and Sheffield Wednesday along the way. This is a team that can play on the ground or counter quickly. I do believe that Tom Ince is one of the few pure match winners in the division; on form, he can get you three points on a day where perhaps you don't deserve them. The battle between Ince and Malone going forward and back I think will be vital.

We'll likely match each other for shape, and although I think we have the better midfield trio, you just know that Steve McClaren will look to swarm Kevin McDonald and Tom Cairney at every opportunity.

Anyway, ignore the waffle. At first thought, it made sense to go striker-less and bring Lucas Piazon in, but I also see the logic and starting with Matt Smith to rough up the Derby centre halves for at least a half. He can help us in defending set pieces, which we will lose with Chris Martin. I wouldn't argue with having Smith start the match and use him purely as somebody to cross to - give Pearce and Keogh a battle in the air, then bring on a Piazon, push Ayite up top and start testing the feet with fizzed balls in much like Ayite's goal against Rotherham.

I'm expecting to see Piazon start but as I say, I have zero qualms with Matt Smith starting as a needs must even if only for a half.

Southfield White

Quote from: Southfield White on December 15, 2016, 12:21:52 PM

Ment in form and not sure Derbyshire is a football team more a cricket team

AlexW132

Button
Fredericks
Kalas
Madl
Malone
Johansen
McDonald
Piazon/Kebano
Cairney (C)
Aluko
Ayité

@jolslover

Button
Fredericks
Kalas
Madl
Malone
Johansen
McDonald
Piazon
Cairney (C)
Aluko
Ayité

With Kebano, Jozabed and Humphrys on the bench. One criticism I have of Slavisa is when he puts out a very defensive bench.
STH H3

thebumponleroyshead

QPR we're dominant against them for most of the game yesterday so we shouldn't be too frightened. 2-1 or 2-0 for me their run will end just like Reading's, football is cyclical whether we like it or not. Cue Fulham losing 3-0 nah we'll win, I'm not schizophrenic, nor am I
Oh You Lucky People We're the Best Team in The Land

Riversider

My fear is this, Fulham are tailor made for Derby County, they will play a high line with Ince and Russell (who was rested against QPR) playing wide of Bent and giving our two full backs no time on the ball whatsoever, even with Rotherham doing that on Tuesday night we looked uncomfortable at times, and could /should have been one nil up inside the first two minutes,
That leaves two more battles that we must win, the first being their midfield lynchpin, Bradley Johnson, great player, his battle with McDonald could very well determine the match,
The second battle is how we deal with Will Hughes, he's been outstanding for them and we need to find a way to keep him quiet, if we do we've got a great chance,
Now for the good news, they can be got at, at the back, they've got Chris Baird playing at right back ! If he was still at Fulham he would be our third choice,
So I'm going for both teams to score and a scoreline of 2-1 but no idea who to !

Carborundum

Chris Baird seemed to be waning when I watched him last year.  Wonderful for us but not now someone to fear.  For Darren Bent half that analysis holds true.  McLaren is on the BBC website pining for the same Chris Martin many in this forum seem to think we can pass on our option to buy. QPR held them for 85 minutes.

We can beat this lot comfortably.

filham

A big test for us, win and we are knocking on the top six door but lose and we are back struggling to hold a mid table position.
We have good players but essential that Jocanovic adopts the correct tactics and ensures a solid team performance.

Deeping_white

Quote from: filham on December 15, 2016, 10:23:00 PM
A big test for us, win and we are knocking on the top six door but lose and we are back struggling to hold a mid table position.
We have good players but essential that Jocanovic adopts the correct tactics and ensures a solid team performance.

Bar Preston winning and an 8 goal swing we won't drop a place from 10th so hardly struggling to contain a mid table position.

RaySmith

We know Ayite is  on  run of scoring form, and Aluko creates many scoring opportunities for himself, and  I don't see why he shouldn't convert more with greater confidence and composure.

It doesn't look likely that Smith will play, not having had a run out, though Woodrow has recently. Smith could play a role you  might think, as well as adding defensive  height, as said. Maybe he will come on as a late sub, but hasn't even been on the  bench lately.

love4ffc

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 15, 2016, 11:29:05 PM
One game will not effect our season, but lack of consistency will, that's why now it is so important to string a few wins together and go on a decent unbeaten run.
If we beat Derby we will go above them on goal difference.

0001.jpeg

Agree with this.  Want to see us being as consistent as possible from game to game.  Especially in the defense.  Again I was surprised not to see Ream in the line up given his recent performances. 

Also agree with Carborundum that we can beat this lot. 

Not sure I would change shape for this fixture.  Would like to see Smith start up top and to receive better service then Martin has been getting.  Other then that I would not make any starting changes to the starting XI. 

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

MJG

Statto is quite right about games needed to catch a position. I say position because it does not matter who the teams are its the points you are chasing.

People look at us 3 pts behind Derby and think a win will take us into top 6th. Well it doesn't quite work like that as other teams are above us and in the end you are still trying to make up ground on others. Now it is totally within the realms of results we could be top six after the game but principle still stands.

As it stands we are averaging 1.52 pts per game across the 21 games.
Over last 10 we have played at 1.8 ppg.

6th place currently has an average of 1.67.

If we look to game 30 6th place will be on 50 points...give or take 1 point

If we continue with our season form we will have 46 pts.
If we play with our last ten game form we would have 48 pts

For us to be 6th at the end of game 30 we would need 18 pts from 9 games. As Statto says 2pts a game.

So form wise we need to be one of the top two teams over next 9 games to be in 6th place at the end of the Birmingham game.

because of those results after the first international break we have always been playing catch up and will do for rest of the season.

Carborundum

Quote from: MJG on December 16, 2016, 08:31:12 AM
Statto is quite right about games needed to catch a position. I say position because it does not matter who the teams are its the points you are chasing.

People look at us 3 pts behind Derby and think a win will take us into top 6th. Well it doesn't quite work like that as other teams are above us and in the end you are still trying to make up ground on others. Now it is totally within the realms of results we could be top six after the game but principle still stands.

For us to be 6th at the end of game 30 we would need 18 pts from 9 games. As Statto says 2pts a game.

So form wise we need to be one of the top two teams over next 9 games to be in 6th place at the end of the Birmingham game.

because of those results after the first international break we have always been playing catch up and will do for rest of the season.

Helpful post that indulges my tendency to play around with numbers.  Anyone who doesn't enjoy that sort of stuff might be advised to stop reading now.

The key stat for me is that we have got 18 points from the last 10 games.  They haven't been a particularly easy set of games, so it's a fair reflection of where we are relative to others.  If we stay at that level of point accumulation, then the 25 games ahead would bring 45 points.  Taking us to 77.  Good enough for top 6 most, but not all, seasons.  But a very good season in any respect. 

So if we improve relative to others we get play offs.  If we deteriorate we won't.  Not exactly a dazzling insight I know.  Have we got improvement in this squad?  Yes, I believe we have. Going to be gripping stuff finding out.

MJG

Quote from: Carborundum on December 16, 2016, 09:51:48 AM
Quote from: MJG on December 16, 2016, 08:31:12 AM

Helpful post that indulges my tendency to play around with numbers.  Anyone who doesn't enjoy that sort of stuff might be advised to stop reading now.

The key stat for me is that we have got 18 points from the last 10 games.  They haven't been a particularly easy set of games, so it's a fair reflection of where we are relative to others.  If we stay at that level of point accumulation, then the 25 games ahead would bring 45 points.  Taking us to 77.  Good enough for top 6 most, but not all, seasons.  But a very good season in any respect. 

So if we improve relative to others we get play offs.  If we deteriorate we won't.  Not exactly a dazzling insight I know.  Have we got improvement in this squad?  Yes, I believe we have. Going to be gripping stuff finding out.
Of course at the moment that would be a last game and in the play offs scenario...not sure my nerves will take it ;-)

twang

As neither Smith, Woodrow nor Humphrys has got a look-in recently I can't see Jok starting with an out and out striker.

I think and, based on the circumstances, hope that this will be the lineup against Derby:

Button
Fredericks - Kalas - Madl - Malone
Cairney - McDonald - Johansen
Aluko - Piazon - Ayité

Subs: Betts, Sigurdsson, Odoi, Parker, Kebano, Humphrys, Smith

EastEndWhite

Quote from: twang on December 16, 2016, 11:12:31 AM
As neither Smith, Woodrow nor Humphrys has got a look-in recently I can't see Jok starting with an out and out striker.

I think and, based on the circumstances, hope that this will be the lineup against Derby:

Button
Fredericks - Kalas - Madl - Malone
Cairney - McDonald - Johansen
Aluko - Piazon - Ayité

Subs: Betts, Sigurdsson, Odoi, Parker, Kebano, Humphrys, Smith

This would be a good starting lineup.  Humphrys is in the pictures of the training session at Motspur Park this morning so hopefully he'll make it into tomorrow's squad. 

Wonder if SK is over in London doing some Christmas shopping given how good the rate for the dollar against the pound is at the moment.  Hopefully someone is showing him some strikers?