watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Will The FA Cup Die?

Started by Mince n Tatties, January 08, 2017, 09:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

It hurts me to see the way this wonderful competition has deteriorated over recent years,treated as a run of the mill competition by clubs and fans.
I don't blame the fans from staying away from certain games,when their
Clubs send out a team of unknowns.
Take yesterday Bournemouth made 11 changes and were brushed aside by Millwall,Stoke also made changes like most do..
I'm pointing out these two clubs as they will most probably finish mid table,can't win the league or go down.
You would think they would field their best sides and try and win the darn thing..I love the Cup but it saddens me the way it is treated now.Hope it can be saved. 049:gif

bill taylors apprentice

Will the FA Cup die ?         NO !

But the way the PL has become the behemoth it is does not help.

When a successful season for many teams is seen as finishing say, 9th instead of 12th with the extra millions that come with it and the stress managers are under to achieve their targets its not surprising they seem uninterested in the Cup.

In trying to invigorate the competition and generate money you get live games on TV at prime time such as WHU v ManC instead of say Ipswich v Lincoln, not to mention our own team kicking off at 11.30 !

Its about traditional and glory and every team would look forward to their entry in the Cup, it was a big day for all, now its only a big day if the circumstances dictate e.g. a PL team drift through to the 6th round and only then get excited as they can see Wembley on the horizon !

Steven Ageroad

It's died already, it's now called the Emirates Cup.

ScalleysDad

I am not so sure it will die completely but 'the cup' and all it stands for, or with Emirates rebranding it all it stood for, I suspect it will become a faded memory over the next decade. Of equal concern for English football is how decidedly average Prem teams become without the big names in them.

Fulham Tup North

I only bother to watch how the lower teams do. I think it is good to see your Millwall types getting through. Obviously I want us to do as well as possible, but like you have said, big teams don't bother about it until the latter stages. TV has far too much say these days and most fans are simpy considered as an after thought, if considered at all.
I hope the Cup keeps going but fear for it's long-term viability.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

dannyboi-ffc

But against Leyton Orient we made 11 changes and won. And it was a great experience for our kids. They are 2 divisions below us like Millwall are to Bournemouth. So all teams do it.

Totally understand what you are saying and I agree. I think the FA Cup winner should get a champs league place instead of 4th. It gives everyone a fairer chance of qualifying and would make all clubs field stronger sides and show the competition more respect.

At least that way the champions league would have a champion in it. Rather than a team that finished 4th.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Mince n Tatties

Yes we did,but that is where the problem
lies with fielding weakened sides.
Norwich fans boycotted game yesterday as they were asked to pay £25 to watch half theirs and Southampton's reserves.
That's why attendance's are poor,how many will be at our game today.

ScalleysDad

On the side topic of attendance at games in this round the Cardiff crowd is outnumbered ten fold by empty seats. Well done to every one who made it.

jarv

Empty seats at Cardiff, also well done to whoever decided to kick off in the morning. Idiots.

jarv

I hope so, today. I planned my trip from USA and just bought a ticket for the Blackburn game. I see 4th round is the same day, Jan 28. just great. Unbelievable.
Will Fulham refund me for the ticket and I guess they will get drawn away at Newcastle or Darlington.

Woolly Mammoth

Let me reassure you mince that the FA Cup will never die. You must remember that the early rounds start in August. It's not just about the glamour big teams. When the bubble eventually bursts in the top echelons of the football pyramid, and the sponsors no longer subscribe to Sky TV, the FA Cup will still be going.  As I say there are hundreds of teams enter the FA Cup from the very first round. Football does not begin or end at the Premier League. The FA Cup embraces a multiple of clubs throughout England. That's why it wil never die, there is always a giant killer waiting round the corner.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

tommy

Personally I think the FA Cup has got back that sparkle over the this season and last. It seems everyone is now putting out there best teams, bar a player or two.

Leicester will never know how much they have done for English football winning the league last year. All the big boys are now taking everything seriously, which in turn is making everyone else do it.

Mince n Tatties

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: tommy on January 08, 2017, 01:38:53 PM
Personally I think the FA Cup has got back that sparkle over the this season and last. It seems everyone is now putting out there best teams, bar a player or two.

Leicester will never know how much they have done for English football winning the league last year. All the big boys are now taking everything seriously, which in turn is making everyone else do it.

Have you seen yesterday's attendance's?

Mince n Tatties

I would like to see the Cup Winners Cup reinstated..

tommy

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 08, 2017, 01:41:36 PM

Yes but that's always been the case for the 3rd round. Plus it's becoming very difficult for fans with the cost of football. Fans missing the 3rd round isn't taking anything away from the competition itself.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: tommy on January 08, 2017, 01:54:58 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 08, 2017, 01:41:36 PM

Yes but that's always been the case for the 3rd round. Plus it's becoming very difficult for fans with the cost of football. Fans missing the 3rd round isn't taking anything away from the competition itself.

Got nothing to do with it, clubs and lots of fans not interested.. Champions League and big clubs are destroying it.
Hull v Swansea yesterday two premier sides 6,500 and they let them in cheap.
People used to turn out years ago for a cup game no matter who the opposition was.

bill taylors apprentice

A visit from FFC to Cardiff in the 3rd round may not draw a mega crowd but if the authorities think putting it on at 11.30 on a Sunday is anything other than detrimental to the status of the competition then I'm amazed !

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on January 08, 2017, 02:07:21 PM
A visit from FFC to Cardiff in the 3rd round may not draw a mega crowd but if the authorities think putting it on at 11.30 on a Sunday is anything other than detrimental to the status of the competition then I'm amazed !

Correct.

grandad

SJ & Fulham didn´t devalue the Cup with the strong side that played today.
Where there's a will there's a wife