watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Did we miss a trick with Gary Monk?

Started by Wearethewhites, January 26, 2017, 12:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wearethewhites

Has Leeds playing very well, grinding out results, and dead cert for the playoffs, they've also bought sensibly, with Chris Woods looking quite the marksman at this level.

Monk is nothing special, but seem to be a man motivator, has every player fighting and scraping for the cause.

For me, Leeds were in a worse state than Fulham last season, so whats Monk done to progress further than Slavisa?

I know the race is over a whole season, but they seem to be getting it right, where we get it wrong.

westcliff white

The problem with those classed as man managers they burn out after a while, usually a period of no more than 18 months. Stuart Pearce is a good example, all the players he coached at club level say he come sin and is great at motivating you but tactical and training wise it isn't the best and then you fall away.

Slav seems to have a bot of both and that for me is a good thing. Personally I think what SJ has achieved with a squad that could not defend corners, could not retain possesion and that could not win away out weighs what Monk has done. Just my opinion and I see where you are coming from as well.
Every day is a Fulham day

howitis

Without a doubt and a great point to make. I was one of many who were hoping that we would acquire his services. I thought that SJ's  first 4 months were truly awful and almost inexcusable but he has won me over a tad with the style of football we have tried to play this season. In order to really judge SJ, I would like our mean chairman to put his hand in his enormous pocket and allow the coach to  spend £20m without any interference !!!

Wearethewhites

This isn't a dig at Slav by the way, just before everyone jumps on the I'm digging out Slav train. Long term, Slav will most likely turn out the better candidate, but you can't excuse Monks qualities, he's turned that rabble into a good footballing side, and a dangerous one at that. On top of that, he's had the pressures of working under that crank pot Italian.

Done a very good job to date, and I can only see them going from strength to strength. 

twang

We missed out on Pontus Jansson, exactly the kind of defender we need. Joined Leeds on loan during the summer and has now signed permanently for just £3.5m.

Horsfield_No9

I'm impressed with Leeds. It doesn't help our own cause when our owner sees them, Hudds and Barnsley all doing well without spending much money. Although we play great football and I genuinely believe Slav is building great foundations should we question if this is the way to get out of this league?

We are a soft at the back and soft at finishing. The only area we are a top side is midfield.
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

Bassey the warrior

I don't think Monk is any better than Slavisa.
Leeds recruited brilliantly to sign Chris Wood for allegedly £3.5 million. He's already bagged 20 goals this season. He did however get 12 for the whole of last season, so that just shows how players often play better in their second season.

Martin has done well in patches but his head still isn't right. That's just rotten luck for us though because Derby are trying to convince him to return. Jokanovic couldn't have predicted that. He also can't legislate for players missing 7 penalties out of 9.

Wearethewhites

Quote from: Horsfield_No9 on January 26, 2017, 01:11:28 PM
I'm impressed with Leeds. It doesn't help our own cause when our owner sees them, Hudds and Barnsley all doing well without spending much money. Although we play great football and I genuinely believe Slav is building great foundations should we question if this is the way to get out of this league?

We are a soft at the back and soft at finishing. The only area we are a top side is midfield.

I believe Slav is building a great foundation here, however, I feel it will become more difficult to get FFC out of this league without the correct backing, and when I mean backing, I mean financially and scouting, something I feel we're not competing with. If anything, Leeds have backed Monk.

toshes mate

I am sure Gary Monk is an excellent coach but Leeds were pretty ordinary in the match against Barnsley, a team Slavisa has beaten twice.  The table won't lie come May, it never does, and until then I won't be reflecting on the comparative merits of individual coaches.  What I will say is that Chris Hughton and his Brighton team are one of the few I have been really impressed with both against Fulham and others.  If Brighton do go up this year then it'll be thoroughly deserved simply as testimony to what happens when owners stick their necks out and take chances on a number of levels.  They have a great stadium and a team that is fitted out to win Championship games, and that something special that makes you admire them even though you may openly resent their successes against Fulham.

Mince n Tatties

You got to laugh,their fans wanted him out after first 6 games..lol

Steven Ageroad

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 26, 2017, 04:10:17 PM
You got to laugh,their fans wanted him out after first 6 games..lol

They were also calling for Chris Woods head as he wasn't having a good start to the season.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Statto on January 26, 2017, 05:23:03 PM
Quote from: westcliff white on January 26, 2017, 12:55:16 PM
The problem with those classed as man managers they burn out after a while, usually a period of no more than 18 months. Stuart Pearce is a good example, all the players he coached at club level say he come sin and is great at motivating you but tactical and training wise it isn't the best and then you fall away.

Slav seems to have a bot of both and that for me is a good thing. Personally I think what SJ has achieved with a squad that could not defend corners, could not retain possesion and that could not win away out weighs what Monk has done. Just my opinion and I see where you are coming from as well.

plus one

i think monk is the type of manager where the very most you can hope to achieve is being a chris hughton or neil warnock type who does well in the lower leagues but just doesn't have the brains to go any further
Doesn't have the brains?
Took Swansea to top of Premier, did the double over Manure and Arsenal,yes he got sacked following season after turmoil and club and lack of investment.
What he did at Swansea a club their size as well,and he qualified from Europa League group to final stages.
And finished 8th in Premier.
Your way off Mark imo.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 26, 2017, 05:31:10 PM

plus one

i think monk is the type of manager where the very most you can hope to achieve is being a chris hughton or neil warnock type who does well in the lower leagues but just doesn't have the brains to go any further
Doesn't have the brains?
Took Swansea to top of Premier, did the double over Manure and Arsenal,yes he got sacked following season after turmoil and club and lack of investment.
What he did at Swansea a club their size as well,and he qualified from Europa League group to final stages.
Your way off Mark imo.
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 26, 2017, 05:31:10 PM

plus one

Doesn't have the brains?
Your way off Mark imo.

A lot of the so called good managers who are in charge of the so called big teams, wouldn't survive without a massive cheque book, and are no better than the managers lower down. In fact with a massive cheque book they still fail. Garry Month has done a great job since he started his managerial career, and was ridiculously sacked at Swansea, and look where they are now. It's not what you know it's who you know.   
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MikeW

Doesn't have the brains?
Your way off Mark imo.

Mince: I'm with you on this.

I really am concerned at the lack of action on the transfer front.  Quite a few outs in the also ran's department but nothing coming in.

Happy to be proven very wrong next few days but why are Fulham always so slow, indecisive etc etc?

We are going to end up with the breadcrumbs again (I include Martin in this category, sorry) but it seems engrained in the club to hang and hang on until nothing is left.

We are a busted flush in terms of making the play offs IMO but have made progress.  It could have been so much more with positive leadership.

Absent Chairman
No replacement for the chief negotiator
Idiotic stats regime

It's quite depressing actually.

Off for a gin.  (More depression)
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Keynsham

Andy Gray and Richard Keyes do make me chuckle.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: MikeW on January 26, 2017, 08:57:47 PM
Doesn't have the brains?
Your way off Mark imo.

Mince: I'm with you on this.

I really am concerned at the lack of action on the transfer front.  Quite a few outs in the also ran's department but nothing coming in.

Happy to be proven very wrong next few days but why are Fulham always so slow, indecisive etc etc?

We are going to end up with the breadcrumbs again (I include Martin in this category, sorry) but it seems engrained in the club to hang and hang on until nothing is left.

We are a busted flush in terms of making the play offs IMO but have made progress.  It could have been so much more with positive leadership.

Absent Chairman
No replacement for the chief negotiator
Idiotic stats regime

It's quite depressing actually.

Off for a gin.  (More depression)

Make that two large gins, I am suffering also.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Asotosyios

I didn't like his behaviour after Huddersfield's winner today. He caused the whole thing and then said he had to protect his values - what a load of bs!

Bill2

As regard the topic in that Gary Monk is better than good old SJ. We can't make a direct comparison as he has a different set of players, he is not our manager and I don't recall him ever being in the frame there is no imperial evidence to say who is best with the same set of players. I will say that SJ has developed our team into one which we all enjoy supporting, especially after the last 3/4 seasons so while Gary Monk is doing and has done a good job I am more than happy with our manager and if he walks at the end of the season I am seriously considering cutting up my season ticket and asking the Fulham board to share to out and shove it where the sun does not shine.

Asotosyios

I really like Slavisa and hope he will be with us next season as well. Even if he decides to leave though, I will still renew my season ticket for next year and hope we will look for a manager that likes to play football the same way.

colinwhite

Slavisa has completely rebuiit
Our team in terms of staff and playing style. Monk has motivated his players well with a few decent signings
If you would rather have monk well frankly that's up to you. Jokanovic is a class act and in my view streets ahead of monk irrespective of whether they finish above us in the table or not.
The football we are developing would stand us in good stead even in the premiership, and that can't be achieved overnight and I doubt that monk could get us playing the way we are.