News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Must be really tough when you have Gerrard/Torres and a £100 million bench.

Started by Jimpav, August 27, 2010, 02:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpav

BBC bias or am I being a bit sore and paranoid

Liverpool and Man City given tough Europa League draw 

Atletico Madrid are the reigning Europa League champions
Manchester City face a tough test in the Europa League group stages after they were drawn with Juventus.

As well as the Italian giants, Roberto Mancini's team also face Salzburg of Austria and Lech Posnan of Poland.

Liverpool also had an unkind draw, which put them in Group K along with Romania's Steaua Bucharest, Italy's Napoli and Utrecht of the Netherlands.

The draw saw the 48 clubs divided into 12 groups of four teams, with the top two from each set to progress.

Group J also looks extremely competitive, with Sevilla, PSG, Borussia Dortmund and Karpaty Lviv all competing for the top two places.

The group stage begins on 16 September and when it concludes three months later the top two teams from each group will go through to the final 32 - where they will be joined by the eight third-placed finishers in the Champions League group stage

Holders Atletico Madrid defeated Fulham in last season's final and are in Group B, along with Bayer Leverkusen, Rosenburg and Thessaloniki

kewbridgeffc

Forgive my ignorance of the illustrious histories of the famous european worldbeaters Steaua Bucharest, Napoli and Utrecht but how the hell is that a tough draw? Just wait till they have to play Champ League drop outs, maybe the BBC will start soliciting donations to help Roy out in the next transfer window...

epsomraver

Big club bias mate, nothing was said last season when we had the likes of Basle  etc as we were given no hope

Jimpav

Quote from: epsomraver on August 27, 2010, 02:45:15 PM
Big club bias mate, nothing was said last season when we had the likes of Basle  etc as we were given no hope

I'm glad it's not just me Epsom - given that Roma and Basel are snuggling up in a champions league group together.

The BBC are making themselves look a little foolish because this is the same Liverpool squad (bar 2-3 players) that finished second the year before last and were tipped to make the top 4 last year (by the BBC). With the funds that City have spent and the quality of players it is almost patronising to be told that it's a tough draw.

Perhaps for the other teams in their group yes.

os5889

Napoli will be tough, a much more complete and ambitious team than Juventus. Steau are always a bag of tricks and potential banana skin, Utrect dapped a league 2 side last night.

Liverpool have a tough draw.

Man City got a piece of P*ss draw.

Its worth noting we werent expected to do well, we were third seeds, as Liverpool (top seed) and City (2nd seeds) they could have expected an easier draw.

FatFreddysCat

Both look to have an easy draw to me. Hopefully the scousers will soon be buying their cup final tickets in their arrogance they're sure to get their only for it to blow up in thier faces again To me the only downside of the final (apart from losing obviously) was seeing so many red vermin on the Reeperbahn (and guess who the ones who got nicked for stealing tickets were?) I think i hate them more than Finnster does now  :014: .

os5889

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on August 27, 2010, 03:29:49 PM
Both look to have an easy draw to me. Hopefully the scousers will soon be buying their cup final tickets in their arrogance they're sure to get their only for it to blow up in thier faces again To me the only downside of the final (apart from losing obviously) was seeing so many red vermin on the Reeperbahn (and guess who the ones who got nicked for stealing tickets were?) I think i hate them more than Finnster does now  :014: .

Speaking of arrogance... get a load of this...

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/26/2178496/chelsea-could-walk-to-champions.html

Chelsea could walk to Champions League final

By Brian Westfall, Sports Network

The Sports Network

Chelsea is just a few miles from its first Champions League title. Getting there, even after receiving an easy group play draw Thursday, remains the elusive last step in the club's incredible journey.

Since billionaire Roman Abramovich purchased Chelsea in the summer of 2003, it has quickly ascended through the ranks to join Europe's elite clubs. Now, with Wembley Stadium in London - less than 10 miles from Chelsea's home at Stamford Bridge - hosting the Champions League final, the lure has never been stronger.

Chelsea has advanced to the semifinals in five of the last seven years, with a penalty kick loss to Manchester United in 2008 its lone finals appearance. The two years Chelsea failed to make at least the semifinals, it was eliminated by the eventual champion.

With its third English Premier League title in the last six years last season, and a pair of 6-0 victories over West Bromwich and Wigan to kick off 2010-11, Chelsea is displaying the form necessary to reach the last summit.

Chelsea has a clear path through the group stage, as Marseille, Spartak Moscow and Zilina were drawn into Group F along with the English champions. Marseille could pose a bit of a problem, but not enough to derail the Blues.

Coach Carlo Ancelotti has almost the same exact club that last season produced 103 goals in just 38 EPL games, and a healthy Michael Essien will turn midfield into an even stronger area.

Of course Abramovich tossed around a little cash this season, adding Brazilian midfielder Ramires from Benfica and Israeli midfielder Yossi Benayoun from EPL rival Liverpool. And the transfer window remains open - billionaires can never spend enough - so do not rule out a late addition or two.

English clubs have won the Champions League final in London (United in 1967-68 and Liverpool in 1977-78 at the old Wembley Stadium), but never has a club from the city lifted the title.

Arsenal and Tottenham join Chelsea in the chase this season, but the Blues are the team most likely to raise their first trophy at Wembley in May.

With Chelsea a lock to escape the group stage, here's a look at all the groups, as well as some prediction on which teams will advance:

GROUP A - Inter Milan (Italy), Werder Bremen (Germany), Tottenham (England), Twente (Netherlands).

Winner: Inter Milan

Inter won the treble last season by capturing the Champions League, Italy's Serie A and the Coppa Italia, and despite the loss to coach Jose Mourinho to Real Madrid, remains a major factor this season.

Runner-up: Tottenham

Tottenham survived a scare in the playoff round of the Champions League when it lost the first leg to Young Boys of Switzerland, but scored the final six goals of the series to secure a group berth.

GROUP B - Lyon (France), Benfica (Portugal), Schalke (Germany), Hapoel Tel Aviv (Israel)

Winner: Lyon

Lyon quietly extended its streak of reaching the knockout stage to seven straight seasons last year and, although the French club is overlooked at this point, remember it advanced to the semifinals last season.

Runner-up: Schalke

Schalke pushed Champions League runner-up Bayern Munich for the Bundesliga title last season and couldn't have asked for a better draw. Although Benfica or Hapoel Tel Aviv could easily grab this spot, Schalke should do enough.

GROUP C - Manchester United (England), Valencia (Spain), Rangers (Scotland), Bursaspor (Turkey).

Winner: Manchester United

United had its streak of three straight semifinal appearances ended last year, but after a quarterfinal exit don't be surprised if Sir Alex Ferguson's men are back in the final four this season.

Runner-up: Rangers

The Scottish Premier League has not been represented in knockout play in the last two tournaments, but Rangers has just enough talent to edge Valencia and surprise Turkish champions Bursaspor.

GROUP D - Barcelona (Spain), Panathinaikos (Greece), FC Copenhagen (Denmark), Rubin (Russia).

Winner: Barcelona

The rich got richer with the addition of Spain striker David Villa, and Barca will again challenge for the title. Barca has reached the semifinals in four of the last five events, including titles in 2006 and 2009.

Runner-up: Rubin

Rubin stunned Barca in the group stage last year with 2-1 win at the Camp Nou and tied the second meeting in Russia but failed to advance. This time, Rubin will not get points against Barca, but will advance.

GROUP E - Bayern Munich (Germany), Roma (Italy), Basel (Switzerland), CFR Cluj (Romania).

Winner: Bayern Munich

Bayern squeezed into the knockout stage last year, then used away-goals wins to get past Fiorentina and Manchester United. Inter spoiled Bayern's run with a 2-0 win in the final, but the Germans are even better this season.

Runner-up: Roma

Roma went an incredible 21-1-6 over its final 28 games, including a win and a tie against Inter, to challenge for the Serie A title. Roma finished first in a group with Chelsea in its last CL appearance two seasons ago.

GROUP F - Chelsea (England), Marseille (France), Spartak Moscow (Russia), Zilina (Slovakia).

Winner: Chelsea

Chelsea has lost just five of its 42 group-stage matches in the last seven tournaments and should have no trouble again this season, despite trips to Russia and Slovakia.

Runner-up: Marseille

Former Chelsea midfielder Didier Deschamps is Marseille's manager, and with a confidence-boosting Ligue 1 title and the recent addition of strikers Loic Remy and Andre-Pierre Gignac, the group stage is attainable.

GROUP G - Real Madrid (Spain), AC Milan (Italy), Ajax (Netherlands), Auxerre (France).

Winner: Real Madrid

Mourinho is a good coach (the best even?), but he hasn't exactly taken over any struggling teams. Real has reached the knockout stage 13 times in a row, but has been eliminated in the round of 16 six straight years.

Runner-up: AC Milan

AC Milan trails only Real for all-time titles with seven compared to nine for the Spanish side, and should have no problem returning to the knockout stage for the seventh time in the last eight events.

GROUP H - Arsenal (England), Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine), Braga (Portugal), Partizan (Serbia).

Winner: Arsenal

Arsenal has reached at least the quarterfinals in five of the last seven years and manager Arsene Wenger always finds a way to have the Gunners prepared for the big stage.

Runner-up: Shakhtar Donetsk

Shakhtar won the UEFA Cup two years ago and advanced to the round of 32 last season before losing to eventual runner-up Fulham. Shakhtar will meet the same fate in the knockout round, only this time in the Champions League

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/26/2178496/chelsea-could-walk-to-champions.html#ixzz0xolH46hm

sipwell

Utrecht also happens to have a Belgian in the team (Dries Mertens) and apparently one Fulham has been scouting repetitely the last couple of months. He won the "Silver Boot" in Holland last year, for being second best player.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dries_Mertens

No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

finnster01

Hey we have Eddie "Pele" Johnson on the bench so why should we complain?
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Jimpav

I'll be rooting for the Squatters to make it to Wembley - watching them crash out in the final again would be priceless.

Lighthouse

You seem to forget that last night Liverpool won the Europa.

Oh no they didn't did they? Just managed to squeeze into the Group stages. I only thought they had won it with all the hoopla it received. There is no doubt about it Fulham were ignored until after the group stages. But because we managed to fight to the final, every result by Spool and City are greeted as great European triumphs.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Pata

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 27, 2010, 05:24:57 PM
But because we managed to fight to the final, every result by Spool and City are greeted as great European triumphs.

Not quite sure I follow that logic. :)

I don't think anyone in their right mind can greet last night's result as a "triumph" - defended like morons for starters and getting knocked out in the qualifying phase would've been downright embarrassing; however, some credit should go to the team for gradually pulling itself back into a match, where it originally found itself on the back foot.

Regarding the group - wouldn't call it tough but it's a fairly even-looking group. Unfortunately, I can only make one of the three games but fortunately that's the one at San Paolo, which I am very much looking forward to.
I'm fat, I'm Scouse

Pata

Chelsea have got themselves an unbelievably easy draw. They're also utter tvvats for arranging their home fixture against my Russians - Spartak Moscow - for 3 November, when instead of a couple of miles away, I will be on a different continent. Rather annoying but it probably also means that I won't bear witness to an absolute spanking.
I'm fat, I'm Scouse

Jimpav

You will have a blast in Napoli. Not sure if you have been before or not but it is a fantastic city and different from anywhere else in Europe. My father in law was based out there so visited loads. Should be quality.