Main Menu

Thinking about holiday's

Started by H4usuallysitting, February 16, 2017, 12:06:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twig

Quote from: MJG on February 16, 2017, 01:11:57 PM
Italy for Honeymoon

Venice then onto Florence and then the Almafi coast for 5 days in September

Many congrats, when is the wedding day?  Love the Amalfi Coast and if you have time it is well worth going for a long walk inland into the countryside, it's another world.

Twig

We get back to London in May after 6 years working in Dubai. One of my daughters is expecting in July, this will be our first grandchild so holiday planning currently on hold but I am sure we will fit something last minute in.  Possibly after the school summer holidays when resorts are quieter.

MJG

Quote from: Southcoastffc on February 16, 2017, 01:24:00 PM
Italy for Honeymoon

MJG - if you're not already decided and budgets can fit, I can without hesitation recommend Hotel Ai Cavalieri in Venice and Hotel Brunelleschi in Florence.   Both historically interesting and luxurious buildings in quiet parts of those cities yet close to the main attractions.
Thanks for that but it's all booked now. Any good restaurants etc more than happy to take advice.

MJG

Quote from: Twig on February 16, 2017, 02:14:58 PM
Italy for Honeymoon

Many congrats, when is the wedding day?  Love the Amalfi Coast and if you have time it is well worth going for a long walk inland into the countryside, it's another world.
Thank you,  Sept 16.  We have a full five days around that area so suspect inland will be very much on the agenda thanks.

mrmicawbers

Getting Married out in Corfu in June.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 16, 2017, 09:24:13 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 16, 2017, 12:34:06 AM
Sardinia

Beautiful island

Yes it is, it's my third visit. The colour of the sea in some parts has to be seen to be believed.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Whitesideup on February 16, 2017, 09:38:14 AM
Sardinia
North or south? Or in the middle? (Is there anything in the middle?)

In the South, lovely beaches.
I think there are just a few Farm Houses in the middle.

Never forget your Roots.

Supermitch

Quote from: ffc2004 on February 16, 2017, 12:44:22 PM
Malta

Another for Malta.  Also intending to go to Slovenia in September.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Holders on February 16, 2017, 11:33:26 AM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 16, 2017, 10:39:23 AM
Quote from: Whitesideup on February 16, 2017, 09:38:14 AM
Sardinia
North or south? Or in the middle? (Is there anything in the middle?)

It's very diverse..... South is more built up....middle is mainly farm..... North best beaches.....the food is superb

No mountains or countryside?

Yes there are mountains and Countryside, and I agree the food is absolutely superb.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: stevehawkinslidingtackle on February 16, 2017, 01:41:51 PM
Sardinia

I remember going there in the early 90's. Me and the girlfriend rented a L hand drive Fiat Punto and drove from the North Airport to where we were staying in the south. Using an old map, we drove all the way along the coast and not knowing where we were really going, it took us 5 hours, with some scary coastal hairpins along the way. A few weeks later, as we were getting ready to leave, I showed a local barman the route we were going to take and he laughed before he showed us an updated map of the one we had , which showed a main highway running right up the middle of the Island. Before the days of internet, we had no idea, used that route and were at the airport in double quick time.

I remember there being then, a statue of Gianfranco Zola somewhere near Cagliari, and the amazing thin crust pizza, you could almost snap it in the middle. Was a lovely place, but I didnt really appreciate it then.

As for holidays, after living abroad for 12 years, we are quite enjoying the UK. We have a caravan on the beautiful East Sussex countryside near the coast, where we have BBQ's, go fishing , play golf, and relax. An hour to get there, & stress free getting home. No intention of going abroad again for at least 5 more years.

Glad you like it in England, as for that left hand drive Fiat Punto you hired. You don't by any chance remember the Registration Plate, as I remember passing one abandoned in a ravine 4 miles to the south of Pula.   

Never forget your Roots.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: MJG on February 16, 2017, 02:38:56 PM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on February 16, 2017, 01:24:00 PM
Italy for Honeymoon

MJG - if you're not already decided and budgets can fit, I can without hesitation recommend Hotel Ai Cavalieri in Venice and Hotel Brunelleschi in Florence.   Both historically interesting and luxurious buildings in quiet parts of those cities yet close to the main attractions.
Thanks for that but it's all booked now. Any good restaurants etc more than happy to take advice.
We like charm and informality so, depends on what you want but in Venice 2 places we enjoyed were Dalla Marisa and Vini Da Gigio (both in the Cannaregio district).  BTW if you've not been to Venice before, just WALK everywhere. You'll get lost but it doesn't matter you'll find interest everywhere.  I do recommend booking in advance for a 'secret' (behind the scenes) tour of the Doges Palace. 
In Florence our best restaurant find was Enoteca Pitti Gola e Cantina a wine bar where, provided you make advance reservation, you can have a wine tasting lunch with the owner talking you through it.  Food and wine delicious and great fun.

Congratulations - have a wonderful time when it comes!
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

e4b

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: e4b on February 16, 2017, 03:36:30 PM
Cuba in September

Would you be able to bring me back a box of their finest cigars.
While your out there can you please ask Jeremy Corbyn to stay there as long as he likes.

Never forget your Roots.

FFChris

Going to see Jamiroquai in Pistoia in Tuscany in July.  Pistoia and Lucca have a music festival each year and they attract some great acts.  Saw Simply Red there last year and Santana the year before.  Sting, Robbie Williams, Elton John and many more have appeared at there festivals.  Always a fantastic atmosphere and beautiful weather.
Ti amo Italia

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 16, 2017, 03:11:52 PM
Quote from: stevehawkinslidingtackle on February 16, 2017, 01:41:51 PM
Sardinia

I remember going there in the early 90's. Me and the girlfriend rented a L hand drive Fiat Punto and drove from the North Airport to where we were staying in the south. Using an old map, we drove all the way along the coast and not knowing where we were really going, it took us 5 hours, with some scary coastal hairpins along the way. A few weeks later, as we were getting ready to leave, I showed a local barman the route we were going to take and he laughed before he showed us an updated map of the one we had , which showed a main highway running right up the middle of the Island. Before the days of internet, we had no idea, used that route and were at the airport in double quick time.

I remember there being then, a statue of Gianfranco Zola somewhere near Cagliari, and the amazing thin crust pizza, you could almost snap it in the middle. Was a lovely place, but I didnt really appreciate it then.

As for holidays, after living abroad for 12 years, we are quite enjoying the UK. We have a caravan on the beautiful East Sussex countryside near the coast, where we have BBQ's, go fishing , play golf, and relax. An hour to get there, & stress free getting home. No intention of going abroad again for at least 5 more years.

Glad you like it in England, as for that left hand drive Fiat Punto you hired. You don't by any chance remember the Registration Plate, as I remember passing one abandoned in a ravine 4 miles to the south of Pula.

Ha ha , not mine, but we did have about 5 near misses though. Relationship was well and truly tested on that drive. She lives in Oz now. I'm not sure if she could get any further away from me.
Cuba another great place, I worked there in 2012/3 but didnt get to see as much as I would have liked because was out at sea, but would love to go back for a holiday when I can be bothered flying again. Before we flew home, I did hire a convertible Cadillac for the afternoon, with a driver which was $15 to drive us around the sights. Beautiful place and people.

e4b

Which would you rather Wooly,the cigars or the owner of the thigh they were rolled on??

bobbo

I've been luck to have been very well travelled all my life but there's a few on here making me quite envious especially you sunbury . Tibet sounds very inviting.
I just come back from oz but I do New England , Massachusetts , New Hampshire and Maine every autumn for the last 14 years and not gonna miss out this year.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Vinnieffc

Back to the costa del Bexleyheath after nearly a years exile on the Emerald Isle at the end of March. So no holiday this year. But have bought a house in Illminster, Somerset so going there to decorate will be a holiday of sorts. Probably more beer than paint I would suspect ! House doesn't complete until end of March either so being unemployed after the contract has ended will be a holiday of sorts..

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: e4b on February 16, 2017, 04:36:54 PM
Which would you rather Wooly,the cigars or the owner of the thigh they were rolled on??

Hmmm that's a close call, a massive question of Biblical Proportions, but after careful consideration, and the chewing of fat, and aforthought, I shall have to go with the thigh, as long as it's not Jeremy Corbyns.

Never forget your Roots.

cookieg

Italy for Honeymoon

Did similar route a couple of years ago with the family. We love Italy and are off to Ravello in August,