watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Nfr - London theatre

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, February 21, 2017, 06:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Assuming you haven't seen Les Miserables  ?
For me, the greatest musical ever written and as a spectacle, it far out shines
the other "best"
West Side Story

I haven't been to the theatre for many years though.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

PaulUMD

FWIW, when Hamilton comes to London at the end of the year, go see it.  It's amazing.  King George loses his colonies, but steals the show!

Forever Fulham

You can't go wrong with Jersey Boys.  Frankie Valli and his doo wop vocal group's rise, tribulations, eventual breakup.  Some good songs.  A little mob action thrown in.  I saw the movie, not the musical, directed by Clint Eastwood, I think.  Well done.  A bit of Americana musical history...1950s through the 70s.  The same kind of Brill Building pop song factory rags to riches story that parallels Carole King, but in New Jersey rather than NYC. 

MikeW

Agree with Jersey Boys suggestion.  Not really my scene musically but very entertaining evening.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Oakeshott on February 21, 2017, 04:47:52 PM
The RSC's production of Loves Labours Lost at the Theatre Royal, Haymarket is uniformly excellent.

+1   and it's companion Much Ado About Nothing, also known as Loves Labours Won.  Edward Bennett is excellent in both.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

MikeW

Was talking with Mrs W about this today and (apparently) we are off to see the Motown musical shortly!  Her indoors says it's good although I understand the story line is a tad weak.  Good music though.  Time someone did one about Dr. Feelgood.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Artful Dodger

School of Rock on Drury Lane if you want something a bit more light hearted!!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Southcoastffc

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Jimpav

Book of Mormon was very funny but may not be to every ones tastes.

Phantom is good. Very theatrical and a bit luvvie but some classic show tunes.

If you like the wizard of Oz then you might find Wicked of interest.

Also Thriller was pretty decent, if you like Michael Jackson/Jackson 5.

love4ffc

When last in London with the missus we say Motown at the Shaftesbury.  Thought it was good.  The missus thought it was brilliant and can't stop talking about it.   
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Southcoastffc

Quote from: love4ffc on February 23, 2017, 04:22:43 AM
When last in London with the missus we say Motown at the Shaftesbury.  Thought it was good.  The missus thought it was brilliant and can't stop talking about it.   
Could you recommend something that WOULD stop my missus from talking please?  :022:

General

If you haven't seen it for theatricality I'd suggest Lion King, if War Horse is still out that's a recommendation. Wicked is a unique spin on Wizard of Oz.. an alternative story but very well done. Phantom is obviously a good one.