watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham Park Rangers

Started by mrmicawbers, February 28, 2017, 10:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmicawbers

30 Years ago.Difficult for the newer fans to appreciate what so nearly transpired then.Dark days in our history.About time we had a Jimmy Hill Stand.

Lighthouse

Well that post headline just sent my insides through my ankles. Dark days of walking to work clutching a paper with the back page full of news of the death of the club. Horrible memory. Yet 30 years doesn't seem that long ago considering everything that has happened since.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Grumpy Worthing White

I was there at the Walsall game when there was a demonstration at half time on the pitch, we drew 2-2 (I think), and yes It would be a fitting tribute to have a stand named after jimmy Hill.   049:gif  049:gif  049:gif

Tonywa

Quote from: Grumpy Worthing White on February 28, 2017, 10:24:52 AM
I was there at the Walsall game when there was a demonstration at half time on the pitch, we drew 2-2 (I think), and yes It would be a fitting tribute to have a stand named after jimmy Hill.   049:gif  049:gif  049:gif

Indeed.  Without Jimmy Hill and the Muddyman family the club would not be in existence today.

toshes mate

Me too.  The Walsall fans applauded the half-time protest.  And what Fulham fan could pass up a legitimate opportunity to walk on the same pitch as the many heroes who have worn the black and white of Fulham over the years just to ensure there'd be a future for this lovely football club?  Out of despair hope always comes.   

Holders

On that day we'd have settled for Magath!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Lighthouse

A very Fulhamish day I seem to remember. The gates in the fences were opened to allow the half time protest. Wallsall fans were brilliant that day and very supportive. A fan who invaded the pitch during the game was hissed and booed off. That wasn't the Fulham way to protest. Plus we equalised very late. Gary Barnet? Probably wrong as I haven't looked it up. But a day that stood out in the memory even if it is a failing one.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Southdowns White

I was on the pitch that day, The pitch invasion was planned in advance, we all made our way from the back of the stands and at half time piled on. I took a camera along and have the photos somewhere in the loft (i Hope), I am also in some other peoples photos along with friends and some of the faces who i still see around the ground today. No trouble, just a collective of people showing how much this club means to us all.
Don't know if we could do it today but i would if the same situation arises, the club would probably have points deducted or heavily fined all in the name of progress from the FA, As I get older I have far less respect for the powers that be at most levels of our society because the only thing that seems to matter these days is Money not People.
I'm just glad that we did protest and help save our club because as well as the bad years we've had some wonderful experiences since then.   

malc

Very dark days indeed. I agree the Walsall fans were great that day. I also seem to remember a bunch of QPR fans riding in the back of a truck along Stevenage Rd protesting as well,they were almost as angry about it as we were.

Andy S

I was on the pitch that day with my young son and a fellow supporter was crying with his baby. He said that his young son would never know the joy of coming to the cottage. But hey I hope he is now a Fulham supporter as well. I remember the result as a nil nil. Even the players applauded us off the pitch and the second half was not even held up it all started on time

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: toshes mate on February 28, 2017, 10:42:08 AM

Me too.  The Walsall fans applauded the half-time protest.  And what Fulham fan could pass up a legitimate opportunity to walk on the same pitch as the many heroes who have worn the black and white of Fulham over the years just to ensure there'd be a future for this lovely football club?  Out of despair hope always comes.   

Was just looking at the picture of it in an old fanzine the other day,my ugly mug is on there.

AlexW132

MJG

Was a tough time, but also a time that saw rival fans and fans groups come into their own and work together.

filham

The future was looking so bleak for us, in fact it really looked like the end of Fulham until Jimmy Hill and his followers came into the picture. Never quite sure how he managed to save us, there were lots of battles he had to fight, but it is clear that but for Jimmy the club would have folded.

Supermitch

Yes, dark days indeed.  I was another one there and on the pitch at half time.  Got the club video of the match and copied it to DVD years later.

The Walsall fans were excellent in their support.  The whole way it was conducted was so typical of Fulham - peaceful protest but one that certainly got the message across and earned a lot of praise at the time.  After the players came back out the crowd eventually went back onto the terraces to allow the game to continue.  Today's equivalent would no doubt see an abandonment.   

filham

What Jimmy did for us all in those awful times was magnificent and his only motive must have been simply for the love of the club.
A stand named after him is a great idea.

Andy S

I can still remember one of the protest blankets that said "Clay Rapes Bulstrode Murders"

F(f)CUK

Obvious everything worked out, but for years Jimmy Hill was roundly booed by the crowd as we took money that appeared to accept the loss of the Cottage, but actually bought us the time that we needed. For info he did something a bit special for my family so I would not criticise him.

nose

i was there
worst days ever
when i heard bulstrode died young i did feel nothing except that a disreputable person of the absolute worst type had better have a good explanation for his maker.     I have to assure you I have had to pick my words carefully

SP

Quote from: nose on February 28, 2017, 06:22:25 PM
i was there
worst days ever
when i heard bulstrode died young i did feel nothing except that a disreputable person of the absolute worst type had better have a good explanation for his maker.     I have to assure you I have had to pick my words carefully

Still makes me sick just watching the video.

Been watching the series based on the alternative reality had the Germans won the 2nd WW. Perhaps someone will do the same for the Fulham PRs?  I'm not convinced we'd have won too many trophies.