watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

All I keep reading, hearing tonight is excuse after excuse

Started by Wearethewhites, March 14, 2017, 11:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wearethewhites

Come on, I know we've all seen a bit of improvement lately, Joka's the main man etc, but that still doesn't mean there's not any room for a bit of criticism after tonight's draw  1500.gif

I'm sorry, but all I've been reading, hearing tonight is that we were 'tired' we looked a bit 'lethargic', Blackburn weren't a 'bad' side, basically every other excuse but our own downfalls, mistakes, and the ability to close out a game that we should have won.

To make things worse, all I'm hearing, reading is 'when we beat Wolves' Saturday we'll be in the top 6??!!  1500.gif

If anyone thinks Blackburn were a rough ride, then they are going to be in for a shock against Wolves, who are technically a much better side.

Granted, Blackburn came down and made it difficult for us, but they were hardly world beaters. If anything, we gifted them the draw, by giving away a stupid penalty, and switching off in the 94th minute.

Still, never mind, give our little petals a well deserved break after a tough weekend and Tuesday night, and they will be raring to go again on Saturday. Not that Blackburn had exactly the same..

I'm sorry, but for all the excuses, we bottled that, and the team won't get any praises from me this evening. Had to win that, and we blew it.   

@jolslover

Was disappointing today. But don't think we played badly.
I think we do better against the better sides in this division.
Blackburn did not threaten us atall untill Lucas Joao came on in the 60th minute.
I think if we keep Costa and Cavaleiro quiet on saturday the 3 points will be ours but that's easier said than done. Cavaleiro had Malone on toast in the reverse fixture and Costa is a 15mill player.
STH H3

Lighthouse

Yes but the same players were world beaters, promotion certs, wonderful, only a few days ago. It is hardly a shock that we were not up for it tonight. It is no shock that our problems in defence against big physical sides make themselves felt again. The problem with over criticising after every set back is that we tend to over praise when we win well.

If one player is at fault then it makes sense but frankly we look for scapegoats that don't exist. Bored of saying it but any team in this league can beat any team. That has happened all season. Wolves may well do well on Saturday or lose heavily. But really the same problems have been there all season. Pressure on our midfield, high long balls into or area. Nothing has really changed tonight. Except we did get a point. Not a total disaster.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Carborundum

Quote from: Lighthouse on March 14, 2017, 11:36:22 PM
Yes but the same players were world beaters, promotion certs, wonderful, only a few days ago. It is hardly a shock that we were not up for it tonight. It is no shock that our problems in defence against big physical sides make themselves felt again. The problem with over criticising after every set back is that we tend to over praise when we win well.

If one player is at fault then it makes sense but frankly we look for scapegoats that don't exist. Bored of saying it but any team in this league can beat any team. That has happened all season. Wolves may well do well on Saturday or lose heavily. But really the same problems have been there all season. Pressure on our midfield, high long balls into or area. Nothing has really changed tonight. Except we did get a point. Not a total disaster.
Wise words.  We have obvious defensive frailties that the best teams don't have.  No problems scoring though.

If we had drawn 2-2 in Newcastle and won 3-1 last night the mood would be buoyant and the position identical.

RaySmith

True - but that Newcastle result created such high expectations, and last night really brought us back to earth.

But, of course, there are bound to be hiccups along the way, and we still have a great chance.

Mince n Tatties

The problem with some on here is that they think all of a sudden we are entitled to win every game.
We're good but not that good,and you'll also find that most of the moaning and picking out scapegoats are folks never at the game(not saying they not entitled to opinion) but get facts right.
We didn't bottle it last night Imo just ran out of steam second half along with Blackburn been turned around by Mowbary(unbeaten in 6) and fighting for their lives.

@jolslover

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on March 15, 2017, 07:09:07 AM
The problem with some on here is that they think all of a sudden we are entitled to win every game.
We're good but not that good,and you'll also find that most of the moaning and picking out scapegoats are folks never at the game(not saying they not entitled to opinion) but get facts right.
We didn't bottle it last night Imo just ran out of steam second half along with Blackburn been turned around by Mowbary(unbeaten in 6) and fighting for their lives.

Agree
STH H3

Keynsham

We simply dropped some points, it happens to every team over the course of a season. Even Newcastle..

Chutney

We didn't back Joca in January with the players needed to allow him to rotate the squad, particularly those middle three.

The players are clearly on their feet at the end of games at this stage of the season.

Blackburn simply had more in the tank than us.

The players need a rest. The quality is there for sure, but the fact that we are unable to rotate those middle three and the centre halves means our entire core lacks energy post 60 mins.

Parker being injured hasn't helped things as he has been able to come on and provide a lift for the players around him late on in games.

If we can go a few goals ahead within an hour, we will win. The ability is there to do so and we will have to if we are to avoid losing points to late goals, as last night showed.

Despite the terrible January window (Tony Khan I'm looking at you) I think we will make the play offs, and it will be Joca/The players who makes it happen through their quality and heart. But, this relies on us avoiding injuries and resting key players at the end of games, which we can only do if we start killing games off. Our opponents know that if they can hang in there that they will get chances off us in the last 20 mins because of fatigue and jadedness.
C O Y W

Carborundum

Quote from: Statto on March 15, 2017, 08:12:49 AM
Everyone is entitled to their  opinion but how can it be logical to say we aren't good enough to beat a well-organised Blackburn side when we've demolished the likes of Huddersfield and even Newcastle.

This season it seams We generally beat the good teams and struggle against the crap teams.

So Sorry but my view is that technically we are "world beaters" and we are "good enough" to be in the top 4, but mentally we are weak, naive, immature... in short, bottlejobs.
Then I'm not sure what a bottlejob actually is.  We have scored lots of late goals that make a positive difference, including one last night.  There's plenty of fighting spirit, which seems a key part of what makes this team easy to get behind.  Basic defensive skills are lacking, not a lack of bottle.  If one wants to get inside the heads of our defenders, then what's probably lacking is the sheer destructive pleasure in messing attacks up.  The best defenders have it and show they have it.  It's why John Terry for all his playing limitations has achieved things John Stones looks unlikely to, despite having greater gifts.  My frustration is that Madl does have it and we don't pick him.

davew

Quote from: RaySmith on March 15, 2017, 06:46:35 AM
True - but that Newcastle result created such high expectations, and last night really brought us back to earth.

But, of course, there are bound to be hiccups along the way, and we still have a great chance.
Perhaps we should remember Barca's results last week, that should put things into perspective!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Statto on March 15, 2017, 08:12:49 AM
Everyone is entitled to their  opinion but how can it be logical to say we aren't good enough to beat a well-organised Blackburn side when we've demolished the likes of Huddersfield and even Newcastle.

This season it seams We generally beat the good teams and struggle against the crap teams.

So Sorry but my view is that technically we are "world beaters" and we are "good enough" to be in the top 4, but mentally we are weak, naive, immature... in short, bottlejobs.

The answer to your first paragraph is quite simple isn't it,its called FOOTBALL, it happens.
If it didn't you'd have the best side in the league playing 46 and winning 46.
Don't know where you get bottle jockey's from we've played hard right to the end in games this season and scored late goals.
And as stated Blackburn unbeaten in 6 and unlucky not to come away with a win at Norwich last Saturday.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Chutney on March 15, 2017, 08:22:17 AM
We didn't back Joca in January with the players needed to allow him to rotate the squad, particularly those middle three.

How's that? Slav said he wanted two or three players. He got two, one of which was a dmid to help out with that middle three.

This "The board don't back our manager in the transfer window" assertion is just false.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

@jolslover

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on March 15, 2017, 01:37:13 PM

How's that? Slav said he wanted two or three players. He got two, one of which was a dmid to help out with that middle three.

This "The board don't back our manager in the transfer window" assertion is just false.

Agree.
Also don't know why people think we have a right to beat Blackburn. There is no such thing as an easy game in the championship especially a team that hasnt lost in 5..
STH H3

nose

Quote from: @jolslover on March 15, 2017, 03:07:30 PM

Agree.
Also don't know why people think we have a right to beat Blackburn. There is no such thing as an easy game in the championship especially a team that hasnt lost in 5..

the board self evidently did not provide enough players, joca wanted the board to show ambition and bring in more players and we got two loanees, one that has disappeared and the other joca is reluctant to use although he looks a good aquisition. Joca said on Radio London in December or mid jan... we need to show ambition, not I want a couple of players....  the two we got were miles short of ambition and then bizarelee we let decent replacement forwards leave. Both who are now scoring for their new clubs.

Bill2

I thought we suffered a squeaky bottom moment. We rushed our play and passing was poor by a number who we know can do better. I also think a number of the players are looking a bit jaded. Quite a number (TC) have played every minute of every game. We need to get a bit more street wise and Button should have launched his kick into row z rather than down the middle of the pitch.

@jolslover

Quote from: nose on March 15, 2017, 03:58:15 PM

Agree.

the board self evidently did not provide enough players, joca wanted the board to show ambition and bring in more players and we got two loanees, one that has disappeared and the other joca is reluctant to use although he looks a good aquisition. Joca said on Radio London in December or mid jan... we need to show ambition, not I want a couple of players....  the two we got were miles short of ambition and then bizarelee we let decent replacement forwards leave. Both who are now scoring for their new clubs.

But Cyriac is a clear improvement on both Smith and Woodrow.. Joka said he wanted a couple of signings in January and that is what he got. He then signed a new contract shortly after. If he was not happy he would not have signed that contract
STH H3

nose

Quote from: @jolslover on March 15, 2017, 04:28:07 PM

Agree.

But Cyriac is a clear improvement on both Smith and Woodrow.. Joka said he wanted a couple of signings in January and that is what he got. He then signed a new contract shortly after. If he was not happy he would not have signed that contract

no he didn't say he wanted a couple of signings, he said he wanted the management to show some ambition, which they self evidently did not.est that the two signings on loan were a statement of intent is not credible.
joca signed because no doubt he was made an offer he couldn't refuse with I suspect (nothing more than intuition) a promise it will be different in summer with tony khan in charge. ialso suspect he will be mighty unhappy come august. i could be wrong.

i really like what i have seen of cyriac but i also like woodrow and think it was amajor error to let him go. i do not know why he has never been given a proper chance in the team, he does well and is scoring for burton as he would have for us and i think his style would and still could compliment the current style.

but principally the board did not do the necessary in january, to suggest they did would be genuinely thinking black is white IMO.

ToodlesMcToot

Agree.

So the Radio London interview was the only one given regarding the transfer window? I don't believe so because I distinctly remember reading a quote, and seeing it talked about here more than a couple of times, from Slav stating he needed 2 or 3 players. The two we got were signed off on by Slav which means they fit the bill in his eyes or we would not have approached them. And, just because they are loanees doesn't mean that ambition wasn't applied in signing them. Just prudence. If for some reason they don't adapt to living in London or life with Fulham, then you've not wasted a full transfer fee. And, if they do adapt well and succeed, the club have run down their contract another 6 months and built a relationship which should help in completing a full transfer. Loans don't lack ambition.

As for the specific players, we desperately needed a full on striker and Cyriac (granted on limited minutes) looks to be the genuine article. Petsos, if I recall correctly has had some injury issues to deal with early on and will have required getting into shape. As I recall he was on the bench for at least the Blackburn match. Now if Slav decides not to play him or bring him to matches, that says nothing about the club's ambition. That's Slav's decision alone.

Ambition is an ambiguous term. So, there's lots of room for interpretation. No point in trying to change opinions on it.

But saying we didn't back Slav is just false from my POV
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude