watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

SSN: Schwarzer Staying - So what now?

Started by kewbridgeffc, August 31, 2010, 03:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kewbridgeffc

Okay this may be a bit premature, and I will delete this if the situation changes, but it is looking ever more likely that Schwarzie won't be leaving us. So my question is, as supporters, how should we feel, how do we move forward?

I don't take a lot of faith in rumors of any kind unless I see it quoted directly from the player. So I did not pay any heed until I read that Mark himself stated that he would like to move on. There are so many different directions to approach this from that it's hard to keep my feelings on it straight.

1. As an employee, you know that in the end, it's about looking after yourself. As much as you may have loyalty to your employer you know that they would not hesitate to get rid of you if they had to. From that perspective, it's a job like any other and there is no real loyalty as much as we might like to romanticise it. Mark is just trying to look after himself, he is at the twilight of his career and deserves a chance to compete at the very highest level.

2. He is under contract and has the responsibilty to see that contract out. Regardless of other lucrative opportunities that may present themselves, when you sign on the dotted line, you are making a commitment and your employer is making a commitment to you. While Arsenal is an amazing oppourtunity he should not be able to back out of the commitment he made to Fulham and rightfully so.

3. From everything I have read and seen it seems that Mark is a nice guy. He works hard, has a family and he takes care of them. Granted I don't know him personally, so I might be off, but I don't think I am. We are not talking about a Prima Donna Mascherano or Adebayor type, who would hold us hostage for his gain. (Or is he?) For the most part, Mark just gets on with it, this why I don't know how to feel about this whole thing if he does stay. How true is everything we read anyway? 

4. Having been near certain that he was off to Arsenal, it's almost as if he has already left. It will be strange to see him again in a Fulham shirt. Will he still take to his reposibilities with the same commitment and desire that he has shown in the past few years? Will Hughes and his teamates still have the same confidence in him? Do you keep a player who has openly expressed their intention to leave? If you are a boss and catch an employee scanning through job ads, do you still trust him? 

Because of all of these things, as a supporter, I am not sure how I am supposted to feel. If he starts against the Wolves do I sing his name, do I boo him, do I forgive him or do I remain neutral? I don't have any kind of precedent to go by. The closest was probably Bullard and Hull, but he is not even in the same league as Mark as a player and as a person.

So what do you think, what are you going to do? Can you forgive him? Will he finish his career with us, or find another Top 4 team to take him in January? I imagine that by this point Arsenal would have sorted their goalkeeping issues out but maybe another Champions League hopeful will be in need of his services?

I for one would not mind if he does move in January as that will give us plenty of time to sort out a replacement. But until then, what do I do?

Lighthouse

I think the bigger problem is his injury. If his back is niggling him then I can still see us bringing in a keeper. Swart is a pro and if fit will be ok. But do I feel glad he is still with us. Like you I am uncertain.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Mike

If he is playing for Fulham, I will be supporting him!  :clap_hands:
What the rest of you do is up to you.
1879 a good year for football

kewbridgeffc

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 31, 2010, 03:58:40 PM
I think the bigger problem is his injury. If his back is niggling him then I can still see us bringing in a keeper. Swart is a pro and if fit will be ok. But do I feel glad he is still with us. Like you I am uncertain.

Good point. I didn't take that into consideration because in my opinion, I'm just not buying it. In all the sports I follow, "niggling injuries" always seem to pop up when there is some sort of dispute going on. Or when England are trying to round up players for an international friendly for that matter.

Also, why would Arsenal be so determined to sign a goaltender with back problems if they were that serious?

I call bullpoo...

epsomraver

I think the back problem was a smoke screen, what is a shame is Stockdales injury because he was keeping swarz out of the team, had he been fit I believe the deal would have been done

tingtawng

Arsenal make last-ditch £4m bid for Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer

By Sportsmail Reporter
Last updated at 10:18 AM on 31st August 2010

Gunner make the change: Mark Schwarzer is desperately wanted by Arsenal

Arsenal have reignited their interest in Fulham's Mark Schwarzer with a £4million deadline day offer for the goalkeeper.

The Gunners have had two bids rejected for the Australian stopper dating back to May but have returned encouraged by the player's desire to move to Emirates Stadium.

Fulham's initially firm stance has been weakened by the impressive form of David Stockdale this season.

They are also actively pursuing Manchester City's wantaway stopper Shay Given. A deal for the 34-year-old will almost certainly open the door for Schwarzer, who played in his country's doomed World Cup campaign, to move on.

However Arsenal's hopes were dealt a blow on Tuesday morning when it emerged Roberto Mancini had convinced Given to stay and fight for the place he lost to England's Joe Hart at the start of the season.

Arsene Wenger has kept faith with Manuel Almunia this term, despite his often skittish performances in the last campaign, while Lukasz Fabianski appears to played himself out of contention for the No 1 jersey.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1307628/Arsenals-4m-bid-Fulhams-Mark-Schwarzer.html#ixzz0y6SqmMB5
IN SVEN VE TVUST

Lighthouse

Skysports.com understands Fulham are hoping to push through a loan deal for Roma goalkeeper Doni.

The Brazilian shot-stopper is currently out of favour in the Italian capital, fuelling speculation that he could be on the move.

The 30-year-old failed to make Roma's matchday squad for their Serie A opener against Cesena on Saturday, with Julio Sergio and Bogdan Lobont currently above him in the pecking order.

Doni had been a fixture in the starting XI over recent seasons, but lost his place after sustaining a knee injury in 2009.

Since shaking off that knock he has been unable to force his way back into the fold on a regular basis.

He could now be on his way to the Premier League, with Fulham keen to snap him up on a season-long loan.

Market moves
The Cottagers have been in the market for a keeper for much of the summer, having seen Mark Schwarzer heavily linked with a move to Arsenal.

They had hoped to land Manchester City's out-of-favour Republic of Ireland international Shay Given, but the Blues are reluctant to discuss a move.

As a result, Mark Hughes has now turned his attention to Doni, a man with considerable UEFA Champions League experience and 10 international caps.

Should he arrive at Craven Cottage, that could pave the way for Schwarzer to complete a proposed switch to Arsenal.

Fulham have made it clear that they will not let the Aussie leave without bringing in suitable cover, so everything will rest on their ability to land a keeper before the 6pm deadline

LIGHTHOUSE NOTE - This has been in the Italian press for several hours. This has nothing to do with Swart going or staying and more to do with us needing three keepers as two may be injured and Pascal may well be happy to retire. Unless Swarts injury is just pretend.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Chopper

I'll be pleased if he stays, gives us a year to sort out a proper replacement and maybe assess Stockdale a bit more thoroughly.

I'd be tempted to keep Stockdale in goal (assuming his injury isn't too bad) and let Schwartz warm the bench for the foreseeable.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

tingtawng

a goalie with a grudge ,oh great if you think thats a good idea , i dont .
IN SVEN VE TVUST

GoldCoastWhite

I recently applied for another job but was unsuccessful. I don't think my current job is along term proposition as I get little enjoyment from it but I'll still do my best while they pay my wages. Hoping Schwarz will be thinking the same thing but football is by nature a very emotive business, particularly from our perspective as supporters. I'm very interested to see whether the big man fronts for Australia in the upcoming friendlies - and whether he gets through them both if picked. He's always struck me as a decent and honest bloke so the injury/niggle may well be genuine and he wouldn't want to aggravate it while hoping for a move to the Arse. He seems to have been upfront about his reasons for the move so I reckon he'll be professional enough to continue to give us his best efforts if the move falls through. And his fellow pros are likely to be more understanding of the whole situation than those of us who turn up to cheer them on.

HatterDon

When Mark gets back between the sticks again, he'll give it everything he has. I'm tickled to death at the prospect of our GK crew including Schwarzer and Stockdale. Brilliant.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

FFCSteve

I also feel his back problem was a bit of a smokescreen. Cynical I know, but did'nt it happened just before he came clean with his transfer request & the pre-season friendlies! 
Unfortunately I won't be able to give him the same support, that he deserved last season!
He'll be gone in the January transfer window, so I will be very surprised if he does actually start again for us or feature in any cup games! Here's to a quick recovery for Stockers!
COYW!!! Bring back Rene! But I do like Slav!

White Noise

Does anyone think Mark will play against Wolves - or might his back injury be for real?

cebu

Quote from: White Noise on September 01, 2010, 12:02:10 AM
Does anyone think Mark will play against Wolves - or might his back injury be for real?
The back injury is real but will be miraculously cured by the Wolves game (I have this straight from the Pope).

SmithyFFC

Quote from: cebu on September 01, 2010, 01:24:47 AM
Quote from: White Noise on September 01, 2010, 12:02:10 AM
The back injury is real but will be miraculously cured by the Wolves game (I have this straight from the Pope).

Yea he'll play, shame because I'd have loved to be in a position were he would have to earn back the no.1 jersey but with Stockdale injured thats unlikely.
FTID

LRCN

did he get called up for australia? like i said before he's professional enough just to carry on where he left off, he wanted to move to arsenal but that's different to not wanting to stay so hopefully we can all move on and he obviously enjoys playing here, just look at his reaction after we beat hamburg. anyway in his absence stockdale has excited us all by showing he's more than capable as a number 2

BarryP

He is on a free at the end of the season if he doesn't go in January and I would wager that he will act the part of the stellar professional he played last season.  If not for Fulham than to continue to show Wegner that he can still do the job that Almunia struggles with.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

TonyGilroy

Presumably Arsenal will still be in the market for a keeper in January so Schwarzer can hope that the move can still happen but that's only a possibility if he maintains his standards with us.

leonffc

I'll support him as I think 99% of our fans will too. I've met the guy and he really is a top lad with a great friendly aura around him.
You cant blame him for wanting a crack at a champions lg club at his age and, as far as we know, he hasn't tried to force the issue like Mashcerano did (although, like many I thought the timing of his injury was coincedental when you look at his fitness record - but lets give him the benefit of doubt).
I also think he would have gone had Citeh allowed us to have Given but it wasn't to be. Many many deals are almost done that fans / media never hear of but then break down only for the player to carry on giving his all for the club 

Banstead White

Quote from: Mike on August 31, 2010, 04:04:14 PM
If he is playing for Fulham, I will be supporting him!  :clap_hands:
What the rest of you do is up to you.
:045:+ one on that point. He is a good professional and in my view acted with complete dignity in all of this. He will come on that pitch to a round of applause and give acknowledgement as he usually does. Well done to hughsy for keeping him...
cheers
Roysie