watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A slight concern for next 3 games

Started by Riversider, April 16, 2017, 08:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

I think our defence and keeper have looked far more comfortable these last two games since Jokanovic has given the OK for the keeper to kick it long occasionally , instead of that mind numbing scenario of the two centre backs and the keeper passing it amongst themselves a dozen times waiting for a striker to pounce,
Now without Martin for 3 games do we revert back to the original plan ?
If we do Kodjia could have a field day tomorrow .

gang

I think Button has played his last game of the season other than that tactics will reamain unchanged.

filham

Playing a more direct game seems to have had its benefits, shame if we have to change tactics because one player is red carded.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Statto on April 16, 2017, 09:06:31 PM
Quote from: gang on April 16, 2017, 08:50:17 PM
I think Button has played his last game of the season other than that tactics will reamain unchanged.

So when Bettinelli hits it long who Would you want him to aim for?
Well, as he has sometimes been doing in the last couple of games, for Johansen, Fredericks and Malone.  And, if Cyriac plays, he jumps well so him too.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

dannyboi-ffc

The tactics didn't change when Martin was sent off. In fact I think it suited Ayite just as much going direct.  Take the 3rd goal for example. Ayite had pace to get in behind a Malone hoof into the channel.

The only change is Martin for Piazon. Ayite through the middle. Nothing else needs to change, our approach is perfect now Joka has tweaked it. Betts is a big reason for that too.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Andy S

Slavisa is not averse to tweeking  players to suit the system to keep them guessing. We will find out Later today

ChesterTheTabby

Betts is a must start now. I feel much more relaxed and confident with him between the sticks. As good of a shot stopper as Button me thinks, but with a better long ball.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: maoconnor on April 17, 2017, 01:36:45 AM
Betts is a must start now. I feel much more relaxed and confident with him between the sticks. As good of a shot stopper as Button me thinks, but with a better long ball.

Other than distribution there's nothing in it really. But the distribution makes a world of difference. I'm amazed it's taken this long for him to get a chance, it was no secret Betts had a good kick.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Grumpy Worthing White

Seeing that Martin is unavailable for reasons obvious how about giving Cyriac a start. 049:gif  049:gif  049:gif

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Statto on April 17, 2017, 10:35:28 AM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on April 17, 2017, 06:50:08 AM
Quote from: maoconnor on April 17, 2017, 01:36:45 AM

Other than distribution there's nothing in it really. But the distribution makes a world of difference. I'm amazed it's taken this long for him to get a chance, it was no secret Betts had a good kick.

Agree but I still think Button shades the command of his area. And I think we lose 90% of the impact of Betts' good distribution without Martin. Yes you get the odd occasion where he can pick out a full back left unmarked, but I can't see Villa being so sloppy as to let that happen often. They;re a good side and it seems Bruce has got them well-organised now. Cyriac has the spring to get his head on the ball but last time I watched us trying that, none of our other attacking players had learned to get close to him and anticipate the flick on. 

Ayite can play that role and links up well with Aluko and Piazon. Watch the 3rd goal again. The hold up play and the way he lead the line was superb. Plus he's the player on fire right now with the goals.

Wouldn't be suprised if he scored a hatrick today and we win 3v1 again

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

dannyboi-ffc

You can't drop anyone from that line up now. To win back to back under the pressure now. To be so convincing against 10 men for 54 mins including injury times. Button is done for the season barring injury. We need momentum not rotation right now.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

toshes mate

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on April 16, 2017, 09:22:54 PM
The tactics didn't change when Martin was sent off.

No they didn't, danny-boi, and some would say the tactics were better utilised in the second period when we had three clear cut goal chances in spite of being a man light.  I wouldn't change anything from the Norwich game except, in fairness to Villa, playing eleven instead of ten.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: toshes mate on April 17, 2017, 10:43:43 AM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on April 16, 2017, 09:22:54 PM
The tactics didn't change when Martin was sent off.

No they didn't, danny-boi, and some would say the tactics were better utilised in the second period when we had three clear cut goal chances in spite of being a man light.  I wouldn't change anything from the Norwich game except, in fairness to Villa, playing eleven instead of ten.

It seems against some opponents Martin just gets in the way. Against an Ipswich he has a big role. But teams like Norwich just want to attack attack attack. Defensively they are one of the worst I've seen. No balance whatsoever.

And Villa are similar. They will have a go, so will Huddersfield, Brentford and Wednesday depending on the scenario with them. We are done facing the teams who play for a draw.

In the second half we looked more dangerous because Ayite lead the line. Cairney got closer to him. And we counter attack with the ball into the channels or on the floor. Martin slows that down just like Berbatov used to.

It could be a blessing in disguise. Martin having a rest and being an option against Leeds in the playoffs.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Statto on April 17, 2017, 10:49:30 AM
I agree keep the same lineup,including betts, notwithstanding what i said above. I just don't expect to see his distribution having such a positive impact today and I think he gets kept in just for momentum and confidence, not tactical reasons

However I don't think Joka will just say go out and continue as you did in the second half v norwich. emotionally maybe, but not tactically. that was an away game with 10 men and it seems to me absurd to suggest the same tactics from the start of a must-win home game. what if Villa sit deep and play for a draw? playing over the top to ayite will not work surely

What did we do in the first minute against Ipswich? Betts caught the ball from an Ipswich cross and instantly kicked it long to Johansen who won a corner.  It set the tone for the game.  He continued to play balls into the channels with the 3 forwards running onto them. We don't have the target man so much but with Ayite we have someone who can force poor headers from  centre half's and let the likes of Cairney clean up 2nd balls and Ayite is in with the pace. Several times Martin has a chance to be in on goal but he hasn't got the pace.

Get Ayite one on one with any centre half in this league and I fancy him to beat them. Same tactics, just more into channels than down the middle

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Statto on April 17, 2017, 10:58:54 AM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on April 17, 2017, 10:53:35 AM
But teams like Norwich just want to attack attack attack. Defensively they are one of the worst I've seen. No balance whatsoever.

And Villa are similar.

Villa - 5th best defence in the league, 5th worst attack. scored 29 goals less than Norwich but conceded 22 less. I hope your 3-1 prediction is right, think it might be actually, but it will be a different game today

Suprisingly different to how I'd imagined. Out of interest when did Bruce come in? Does that reflect differently to their overall season?

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Milo

The distribution from the keeper was noticeably all season to aim for the full backs just shy of the half way line. They would then head down to a central midfielder or collect it themselves.

The accuracy was remarkably good actually at times. Just felt Button's distribution during open play really, really let him down.

I like Marcus. I think his issue was always "flapping" during set pieces etc. I think the full 90mins of the game at the weekend showed positive signs of him managing that better. I think I saw on the match thread someone commenting that the commentary were claiming he was flapping around when we started defending a string of corners towards the end of the game but actually I think he did quite well! Improved. Albeit only after one game.

TC's Sporran

Bruces teams play tight defensive minded football
he will be happy with a 0-0
I don't think villa will come onto us like Norwich did

(unless they get all star struck being on the telly)

this is why an early goal is important otherwise it could become an attack v defence training ground stalemate