more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Astonishing Fulham related stat

Started by F(f)CUK, April 24, 2017, 07:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F(f)CUK

I put a quiz question up and the answer is below. Cannot believe what I found:

Since the 1974/75 season every other club except Fulham, Accrington Stanley, Barnet, Crawley and Hartlepool have played a competitive match at Wembley.

So basically Fulham, three clubs who have been in the non leagues for most of the time and Hartlepool (who reached a playoff final at the Millennium Stadium) are the only ones not to have had a day out at Wembley.

I was astonished when I worked out the answer. I was expecting approximately 15-20 teams, but no.

gezkc

That is unbelievable! We're definitely overdue a trip to Wembley then. Fingers crossed it'll be this year...

Dixie

I just quoted this to my wife to help justify why i absolutely must go if we make it to the final!
even though we are supposed to be meeting up with her friends...
Only made it to a couple of games this season, so i hope i have enough points!
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

thebumponleroyshead

My pops saw them at wembley I saw them in Hamburg, third time lucky, in Slav we trust.
Oh You Lucky People We're the Best Team in The Land

aaronmcguigan

Is this list of clubs just out of the current 92?

F(f)CUK

Yes, I also found that a number of former league clubs have also been there. I have them written down but I do not have that to hand at the moment. I can remember York, Aldershot, Darlington, Kidderminster, Kettering, Wimbledon (original), Southport, Barrow, Stockport...

It is quite embarrassing.

westcliff white

but we made a europa league final which is far better than being in some checkatrade cup final or bob lordn on league cup final.

oK it is not wembley but I do believe we are one of the last 4 english clubs to appear in a european final, as it stands today
Every day is a Fulham day

toshes mate

That is an extraordinary revelation F(f)CUK, even when all that WW writes and infers in his comment is taken into account.  There are a lot of competitions that end at Wembley and I guess we have just never got far enough in any except for the FA Cup.  This is a good year to end the famine I would say.

westcliff white

your right toshes mate but how many times have we played in the Checkatrade trophy or Johnstons paint trophy? thats agenuine question as I really do not know.

Did we field a first team, lots of things too take into account. But it is an astonishing fact for sure. My main point was I owuld have taken the Europa League final over a wembley apperance in the Checkatrade or what ever it is called trophy.

A play off final is a little different, however I cannot remember how many times we have been in the play offs over the years either, but it is earlyish in the morning and I need my brain to wake up
Every day is a Fulham day

Southdowns White

My first game was on 27th of September 1975, my grandad though that at the age of 10 it was about time I saw a game as I had shown some interest in Fulham when we got to Wembley in May of that year and started following their results. 42 years later I am still waiting for a return to Wembley even though I have friends who support real tin pot clubs who have been there before me.
My first game was a fantastic result for every Fulham supporter past and present without looking can you tell me the result off the top of your head?
COYW

Andy S

Personally I would prefer to get automatic promotion than put everyone through the play offs which are only good for one of the four who are in it. I hope it is us

toshes mate

Agree Andy S and that has been the Clubs preferred route to promotion too.  Play off games often seem to be a lottery of results and Wembley finals a nail biting affair.  But you have to be in it to win it.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Southdowns White on April 25, 2017, 08:16:23 AM
My first game was on 27th of September 1975, my grandad though that at the age of 10 it was about time I saw a game as I had shown some interest in Fulham when we got to Wembley in May of that year and started following their results. 42 years later I am still waiting for a return to Wembley even though I have friends who support real tin pot clubs who have been there before me.
My first game was a fantastic result for every Fulham supporter past and present without looking can you tell me the result off the top of your head?
COYW

Certainly.......It was Mighty Fulham 2.......wait for it, somebody called Chelsea 0, nil, zero, nothing, zilch.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

nose

Interesting fact
Here is another
How long did any of those teams spend in the premiere league, or play in the europ cup final.
The stat quoted is interesting and obviously a great shame but i wouldn't swap a game or two at wembly for what we did with maf

Maybe we wil play at wembley this year?

How on earth did the OPer actually find that out?
I wonder what else there is to raise our eyebrows?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: nose on April 25, 2017, 09:14:43 AM
Interesting fact
Here is another

You streaking across the pitch in your birthday suit, if we beat Brentford at Craven Cottage this Saturday.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

nose

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 25, 2017, 09:19:16 AM
Quote from: nose on April 25, 2017, 09:14:43 AM
Interesting fact
Here is another

You streaking across the pitch in your birthday suit, if we beat Brentford at Craven Cottage this Saturday.

You are tempting me to retort
I do not streak anywhere i saunter
Birthhday suit? I charge for that service.....
However if we do win i guarantee a pithy comment or two as we go forward.

filham

I just can't get it into my head that the likes of Exeter, Plymouth, Millwall, Orient, etc., have had their day at Wembley while we have really been no where near the place.
This fact has at least taken my mind of the Brentford game for a while.

Barrett487

Am i right in thinking that if we get promoted we may play again at Wembley during the regular season vs Spurs? It'd be a bit like London busses.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I blame Tigana and his Championship winning team.
Had they not been so good we may have only finished 2nd or 3rd and been in the play-offs
and subsequently got to Wembley.

I am assuming the play-offs were in use 16/17 years ago.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

F(f)CUK

Quote from: Southdowns White on April 25, 2017, 08:16:23 AM
COYW
My first game was at the end of 73/74 season. My dad and brother went to the cup final but I didn't as I was too young. I went to Hamburg, saw almost all home premier matches but I still want a successful day at Wembley. I saw  Wimbledon play Plymouth and loved it but made me even more desperate for a Wembley trip with Fulham.