Started by White Noise, September 03, 2010, 10:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6356060,00.html

McBride announces retirement

American striker to hang boots up at end of the season

By Ben Collins   

Last updated: 3rd September 2010   

Former Fulham striker Brian McBride has confirmed he will retire at the end of the season.

The ex-USA international, who now plays in Major League Soccer for Chicago Fire, announced on Friday that he would finish his playing career once the MLS season finishes in November.

The 38-year-old spent four-and-a-half years in the Premier League with Fulham, scoring 40 goals in 153 appearances.

McBride also made 96 appearances for the USA, scoring 30 goals, before retiring from international football after the 2006 World Cup.

World Cup record
He ranks as the USA's third-highest goalscorer behind Landon Donovan (45) and Eric Wynalda (34), and was the first American to score in more than one World Cup.

After stints with Milwaukee Rampage and German side Wolfsburg at the start of his career, McBride returned to his homeland with Columbus Crew in 1996 and went on to score 62 goals in 161 appearances.

Following brief loan spells with Preston and Everton, McBride made a permanent move to England with Fulham in January 2004 and he was their leading scorer in 2006/07 with nine goals from 34 league starts before helping the London club avoid relegation in 2007/08.

McBride went back to MLS with Chicago in July 2008 and has a total of 78 goals and 51 assists in 11 years with Chicago and Columbus, where he still shares the Crew record for goals scored.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11694_6355977,00.html

McLeish admits Zamora interest

City boss wanted England man

Last updated: 3rd September 2010   

Birmingham made a last-minute enquiry for Fulham striker Bobby Zamora, manager Alex McLeish has admitted.

The Blues enjoyed a busy transfer deadline day, recruiting Alexander Hleb, Jean Beausejour and Martin Jiranek but McLeish was keen to add a striker.

City previously made a bid for highly-rated Zamora at the end of last season, only to see their £8million offer rebuffed.

And while McLeish revealed he went in again for the 29-year-old, he never seriously thought completing a move would be possible.

The Scot told the Birmingham Mail: "I never saw the striker there that I really craved - unless I was going to be paying 10, 12 million.

"I never went back in officially, for Bobby.

"We sounded out Fulham privately but we never made an issue of it because I had read Mark Hughes' comments in the newspaper about him being a focal point for Fulham and that he had started the season great.

"I thought there was absolutely no chance, so it didn't go any further. But I can understand why there were bids for him."

White Noise

England hopeful Scott Loach ready for Premier League as Tottenham and Manchester City lead chase for Watford starlet

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 4:26 PM on 3rd September 2010

Scott Loach has conceded he needs quit Watford for the Barclays Premier League to stand any chance of being England's next No 1.

Fabio Capello rates the 22-year-old enough to have drafted him in to the last two national team squads as emergency cover, but Loach is unlikely to get a cap while plying his trade in the npower Championship.

Tottenham tried to sign the England Under 21 international in January, but he was not keen to be a bench warmer behind Heurelho Gomes.

And interest from Manchester City, Arsenal, Fulham and Everton may also not necessarily translate into first-team opportunities.

However, he told the London Evening Standard: 'I'd definitely have a better chance of getting in the England team if I was playing week in, week out in the Premier League.

'That's where you've got to look, though there's not really an opening anywhere at the moment where I would walk into a team.

'I don't find the idea of stepping up daunting, it's exciting. I believe that if I was to get an opportunity to play at a higher level that I'd be able to step in and do a job as I am confident in my own ability.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1308771/Tottenham-Hotspur-target-Scott-Loach-ready-leave-Watford-England-dream.html#ixzz0yVMPZY2m

White Noise

Fulham

Alexander Kacaniklic, 19, left winger, Sweden

Recruited as part of the deal that took Paul Konchesky to Liverpool on transfer deadline day. Broke into the Liverpool reserve side last season and has a sweet left foot.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1308524/After-Premier-League-25-man-squads-announced-introduce-flight-kids---Fame.html#ixzz0yVN22C5j

White Noise

Lincoln City assistant Ian Pearce says the Imps are ready to scour the loan market

Fulham midfielder Matt Saunders, who was on loan at Lincoln City last season, could be on the Imps' radar again.LINCOLN CITY will have Premier League managers' numbers on speed-dial this Wednesday when the loan window re-opens.

Top-flight teams named their 25-man squads on Tuesday, which means a number of players will be left out in the cold until the next transfer window opens in January, when bosses can modify their line-ups.

That has put the Imps on red-alert and they look set to scour the top divisions for talent as unwanted players filter down the leagues

City's assistant manager Ian Pearce confessed the club had targets and manager Chris Sutton has recently expressed a desire to bring back Fulham's Matt Saunders and Aston Villa duo Chris Herd and Nathan Baker to Sincil Bank.

That trio did not need to be named in their respective clubs' final squads as they are 21 or under, but none of them seem likely to be make the breakthrough to the Fulham or Villa first teams in the immediate future. In Herd's case, he will be out with injury for the next two months.

"We are fully aware of the players that have not been named in their clubs' squads," said Pearce.

"The 25-man rule makes it slightly easier for us as I know for a fact that the players left out are not going to be happy playing reserve team football.

"We have targets but it's all a matter of whether or not the player wants to come or their manager will agree to let them leave at that particular moment.

"The manager is in constant contact with the chairman Bob Dorrian and the board.

"We have got good contacts and we will be looking for people to help us out."

Pearce played in the Premier League himself and leapt to the defence of players who look set for a spell on the sidelines, having not been picked.

Certain players are content to sit on their lucrative contracts, but the former Blackburn defender believes the lure of first-team football will tempt the majority to make the move to the lower leagues.

White Noise

Fulham - Carling Cup Date Announced!

Our tricky looking 3rd Round Carling Cup tie, against Stoke, has finally been given a date.

Stoke have officially announced that the game will take place on Tuesday 21st September with a 19:45 kick-off.

Ticket details have ye tot be announced though as we seek to close in on a Wembley appearance.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=211986#ixzz0yVOPEyt5

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en/news/14/asia/2010/09/03/2102289/switzerland-0-0-australia-swiss-struggle-in-front-of-goal-as

Switzerland 0-0 Australia: Swiss Struggle In Front Of Goal As Mark Schwarzer Stars

Worrying signs for Hitzfeld up front ahead of crunch England clash.

By Chris Paraskevas

Sep 3, 2010 9:48:00 PM

Switzerland have been frustrated by a resilient Australian outfit in St Gallen, held to a scoreless draw just days out from their opening Euro 2012 qualifier at home against England.

Veteran striker Alexander Frei missed a penalty and want-away Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer made a number of outstanding stops to keep the scores level, the Socceroos playing their first match under new manager Holger Osieck.

The German would have been impressed with the slick, counter-attacking game employed effectively by Australia during the first half, their attack spearheaded by diminutive striker Scott McDonald.

Again he was unable to open his international account despite being presented with an excellent chance before the half time interval, though his captain Lucas Neill was equally guilty in the 10th minute.

The Galatasaray defender somehow contrived to volley the ball over the bar from barely six yards out after Tim Cahill headed the ball towards goal from a corner.

Ottmar Hitzfeld's men were time and time again denied by Schwarzer, who produced his first notable stop of the evening when he showed outstanding reflexes to palm Albert Bunkaju's goal-bound effort off the line.

He didn't need to do anything to prevent Alexander Frei from scoring from the spot on 60 minutes as the striker could only clip the woodwork as he missed the target following Lucas Neill's foul on David Degan.

Despite dominating the match for large spells the Swiss frustratingly failed to find the back of the net, a lack of cutting edge up front a worrying trend for the side as they prepare for their Euro qualifying campaign.

White Noise

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6354075/TT-s-transfer-window-reflection

Expensive mistake

Arsene Wenger is renowned for his reluctance to spend Arsenal's cash, but even he recognised the need to buy a new number one this summer.

The Gunners boss, however, chose to walk away from the Mark Schwarzer deal over around £500k, and is instead about to put his side's title hopes in the slippery hands of a Spaniard whose confidence is dangling by a thread, and a Pole whose has gone completely.

Wenger has strengthened his defence, and that in itself might help his keepers, but for the sake of a few quid, the Gunners are gambling when they ought to be playing it safe.

I wanna be adored...

William Gallas gives the impression of a man who couldn't care less what others think of him, which is quite handy given that it is difficult to imagine the fans of any club remembering him fondly when he finally decides to hang up his boots.

After threatening to score own goals until Chelsea let him leave in 2006, the Frenchman walked out of Arsenal and straight through the door of their hated rivals Tottenham. Given his history, it is difficult to see Spurs fans taking him to their hearts but it is unlikely Gallas will lose any sleep over that.

Shattered dreams.

Spare a thought for poor Mark Schwarzer, Cesc Fabregas and Carlton Cole.

Just picture each of them in 20 years, drinking alone in a back-street bar, sharing their tale of transfer window woe with anyone who will listen.

It wasn't supposed to end like this.

White Noise

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/football-ealing/fulham-fc-ealing/2010/09/03/etuhu-laid-back-over-fulham-future-64767-27189602/

Etuhu laid back over Fulham future

Sep 3 2010

By Paul Warburton

DICKSON Etuhu reckons he is in a win-win situation when it comes to getting a new Fulham contract – or not.

If the Whites come to him with an offer of a new deal before January, the Nigerian World Cup midfielder is happy to sit down and talk.

If not, the man who netted a point-saving equaliser in the 2-2 draw with Blackpool on Saturday, reckons there will be a 'hotel full of doors' opening when in effect he becomes a free agent in February.

He said: "I'm fairly laid back about it to be honest.

"It's a question of wait and see, and I'm not the only one with only a year left on my contract. There are at least another five of us, and of course, knowing what the future holds is a way of getting security for your family.

"But you say maybe another door would open. Not just one in my opinion, but a hotel full of doors I believe."

Right now, Etuhu's delighted with his start under new boss Mark Hughes – but admitted he had already got a family tip-off he would be Sparky's cup of tea.

Etuhu's younger brother Kelvin was on the phone within hours of Hughes' appointment last month.

Dickson said: "According to my brother who played under the manager at Manchester City, my type of game suits his style – but that still doesn't give me an automatic place."

Etuhu has a new personal website he hopes will keep folks back home in Nigeria informed – and also offers a platform for the community work he wants to do in Peckham where he grew up.

He added: "I got lucky because I was a footballer. But there's still a lot of problems there I'd like to try and help ease a bit."

White Noise

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/schwarzer_may_quit_for_german_move_554694/index.shtml

Schwarzer May Quit For German Move

By Kevin Markey Thursday, 2nd September 2010

Mark Schwarzer may quit Fulham in January. 

The Mirror report that Schwarzer is understood to be considering his options after being denied Champions League football with Arsenal.

The Gunners were desperate to sign the 37-year-old stopper as a replacement for Manuel Almunia.

But Fulham first could not agree terms with the Gunners, then could not get a replacement in themselves in time.

Schwarzer is believed to be mulling over a move back to Germany where he has played before with Kaiserslautern.

He is also understood to have several other European clubs keen on his services

White Noise

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/marchetti_interests_fulham__arsenal_554696/index.shtml

Marchetti Interests Fulham & Arsenal

Cagliari coach Pierpaolo Bisoli has confirmed goalkeeper Federico Marchetti will need to be sold in January, with Fulham showing interest.

Bisoli has been ordered not to play Marchetti, who was also a target for Arsenal during the summer.

"Marchetti is a great professional and a nice guy. He will continue to train with us with the same determination as he has always shown," said Bisoli.

Sardinian sources say Cagliari will drop their asking price to £5-6m in January to help Marchetti get his move to England.

White Noise

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/salihamidzic_eyes_premiership_move_554695/index.shtml

Salihamidzic Eyes Premiership Move

Juventus midfielder Hasan Salihamidzic is sounding out Premiership clubs about a January move - if not sooner. 

Salihamidzic is being frozen out at Juve and knows he has little future in Turin. The former Bayern Munich would welcome a move to England, where his representatives have been in contact with Birmingham City and Fulham. A release from his contract hasn't been ruled out between transfer windows.

White Noise

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/fulham_arrivals__departures_554698/index.shtml

Fulham Arrivals & Departures

By Kevin Markey Wednesday, 1st September 2010

Comings and goings during the summer at the Cottage.

Arrivals: Philippe Senderos (free from Arsenal) Moussa Dembele (£5m from AZ Alkmaar) Jonathan Greening (loan made permanent from West Brom) Rafik Halliche (undisclosed from Benfica) Carlos Salcido (undisclosed from PSV) Lauri Dalla Valle (nominal from Liverpool) Alex Kacaniklic (nominal from Liverpool).

Departures: Chris Smalling (£10m to Manchester United) Paul Konchesky (undisclosed to Liverpool) Wayne Brown (free to Bristol Rovers) Erik Nevland (free to Viking) Andranik Teymourian (released, currently unattached), Wesley Foderingham (released, now at Bromley) Toni Kallio (released, now at Viking FK) Luca Moscatiello (released, not at Cesena) King Osei-Gyan (released, currently unattached) Dan Owusu (released) Michael Uwezu (released, currently unattached) Chris Buchtmann (undisclosed to Cologne) Elliot Omozusi (free to Leyton Orient) Stefan Payne (free to Gillingham).

White Noise

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/43122/Wenger_monitoring_Ajax_number_1_after_Schwarzer_knock_back.aspx

Wenger monitoring Ajax number 1 after Schwarzer knock back

Author:  Nigel Brown

Posted on:03 September 2010 - 10:54

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will continue to monitor Ajax goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg after missing out on the Dutch number 1. Wenger had turned his attentions to Stekelenburg after Fulham were reluctant to sell Mark Schwarzer due to David Stockdale's ankle injury, however the Dutch club were not interested in selling following the club's Champions League qualification.

Gunners boss Wenger decided to stick with his current crop of goalkeepers and will review the situation again in the January transfer window. The Dutch club confirmed the Gunners were interested in signing Stekelenburg however following the clubs Champions League qualification the Dutch number 1 was not interested in leaving the Amsterdam club and manager Martin Jol was unwilling to sell as the deadline drew closer.

An Ajax insider confirmed: "There was interest in him, yes. But there was no official bid as Stekelenburg didn't want to leave."

"What will happen in January? Who knows? You can never tell in football."

Wenger enquired about the availability of the Dutch number 1 after having a second offer for Fulham's Mark Schwarzer re-buffed, with the Frenchman unwilling to pay the £4 million asking price for a 37-year-old.

Reports suggested Wenger pursued his interest however Fulham manager Mark Hughes refused to sell the big Australian after second-choice goalkeeper David Stockdale suffered an ankle injury. The Welshman was unable to find a replacement for Schwarzer resulting in Fulham refusing to sell the Australian international.

Ajax Financial Director Jeroen Slop admitted before the Champions League qualifying campaign that the Dutch giants would have to sell top players including Maarten Stekelenburg, Gregory Van der Wiel, Luis Suarez, and Jan Vertonghen.

The Financial Director of Ajax, Jeroen Slop blamed Marco van Basten for the financial plight at the club and admitted the losses have been huge at the Dutch giants:

"Because of the 35 million euro van Basten could spend, as it turned out unprofitable new players, Ajax end up in the red. Oleguer, Dario Cvitanovic, Evander Sno, Rob Wielaert, Miralem Sulejmani, Ismail Aissati. Tell me which was a good purchase. "

Slop admitted if the Dutch club failed to progress in the Champions League, the club's star players would have been sold:

"Ajax last season recorded a loss of 21 million euros because of missing out on the group stage of the Champions League achievement. We cannot afford the same loss rate and will be forced to sell and top players are not excluded."

White Noise

http://www.tribalfootball.com/palace-boss-burley-reveals-deadline-day-fulham-bid-speroni-1090501

Fulham bid for Speroni

03.09.10 | tribalfootball.com

Crystal Palace boss George Burley admits they rejected an offer from Fulham for Julian Speroni on deadline day.

Cottagers boss Mark Hughes wanted to bring in the Eagles shot-stopper, with first-choice keeper Mark Schwarzer linked with a move to Arsenal, but the deal fell through.

"There was an interest but nothing materialised," Burley told the South London Press.

"We've managed to keep hold of Julian, certainly until January at least, which is great.

"He has proven himself to be a fantastic keeper over a number of years and I'm very pleased he's still at the club."

White Noise

Official International Fulham Members' Clubs

Friday 3rd September 2010

Fulham FC News

The Club is pleased to announce that the first Official International Fulham Members' Clubs have been registered in the form of FFC Sweden, FulhamUSA, and the Fulham Exiles.

All three supporters' clubs have reached the first level of Official International Members' Club membership by registering at least 10 paid members.

In addition to each member receiving the great benefits such as ticketing priority, ticket discounts and an exclusive members' pack, all members in FFC Sweden, FulhamUSA and the Fulham Exiles share the following rewards for becoming official:

• Official status awarded

• Certification of Affiliation

• Details on official club website (contact name, email address, URL and logo)

• Signed Kit (to raffle off)

• One secretary to run scheme on behalf of club and liaise with Fulham FC 

• Monthly Prize Draw

FulhamUSA, a group started by several American fans back in 2004, the Fulham Exiles, a website| and supporter group made up mainly of English expats in the USA and FFC Sweden|, the only official Members Club in Sweden is now available for other current Members to join for free. To find out more or to join any of the Official International Members' Clubs feel free to visit the FulhamUSA| group on Cottage Corner, visiting the Fulham Exiles website or visiting FFC Sweden's website.

Start your own Official International Fulham Members' Club|

Fans from across the globe can now get closer to the Club they love by setting up their very own Official International Members' Club. There are some fantastic benefits on offer once all paid members have signed up with the Club through the official registration channel.

Cottage Corner is yet another way for fans to be involved in all areas, as our exclusive social networking site, Cottage Corner, now has a fun and interactive Cottage Corner Members Map. This allows other fellow fans to see where other supporters are based around the globe! Sign up today!

Join Fulham Members Club Today|

There are four levels of International group membership and just 10 paid Fulham Members are required to meet the Club's official entry level status and receive the first level of Fulham FC benefits.

Every International Members' Club will receive benefits whilst every individual paid member will receive exclusive ticketing access, ticketing discounts, a members' pack and more.

Find out more about the Official International Fulham Members' Club scheme and buy your membership today.| 
Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/September/OfficialInternationalFulhamMembersClubs.aspx#ixzz0yXeio4N8

White Noise

Fulham v Wolves

Barclays Premier League

Saturday 11 September

Kick-Off 15:00

Join us before Fulham versus Wolves for an afternoon of family fun. With fairground stalls, face painters, circus workshops, fantastic inflatables and much much more, Bishops Park is the only place to be before the big match!

Tickets for the match are available from just £35 Adults and £15 Juniors. Families of four (two Adults & two Juniors) can also purchase a Family Pack for just £70 (normally £100). Furthermore, members are entitled to £5 off their match ticket for this game, but hurry, this offer expires at 12 midday on Saturday 4th August.   

On-sale dates
Season Ticket Holders  on sale  (unlimited tickets)
Fulham Club Members on sale (unlimited tickets)
General Sale on sale
Loyalty points: 3 (more info)|

Buy tickets now|

Special discounts for Members 
Members get a special £5 discount off their ticket for this match. The discount is available in any area of the stadium. One discounted ticket per Member. Join Fulham Members' Club| now to take advantage of this discount and other exclusive offers throughout the season.  *
Family Package
Purchase your own Family Package for this fixture. A Family Package includes two adult tickets and two junior tickets and costs just £70 (normally worth £100).

To book a Family Package please call 0870 442 1234 (select option 3) and quote 'FAMILY PACK'. Additional junior tickets can be purchased for just £15 for the fixture.

Please note these Family packs can only be bought in certain areas of the stadium and are subject to availability. These areas are: Johnny Haynes Stand (Blocks A, AL) and the Putney (neutral area only) & Hammersmith Stands.†

Group Tickets
Fans can also watch this fixture for as little as £28 when buying group tickets. So, why not get some friends, family or colleagues together for the game and introduce a few new fans to Fulham?

A 20% discount will be offered on bookings of 10 or more tickets. These discounts apply to full view adult tickets in the Putney End only and are subject to availability.

These tickets can only be bought over the phone and you must quote 'GROUP DISCOUNTS' when booking. Call 0870 442 1234 (option 3) (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) to book now or make a  booking request online|.†

My First Matchday Package
My First Matchday offers Junior supporters and an accompanying adult the opportunity to see what really goes on behind the scenes at Craven Cottage in the build-up to matchday. Pretend you're a radio commentator in the press box, run down the tunnel, pretend you're directing the players from the Manager's seat in the dugout, interview a guardian in front of the TV interview boards, see our trophy cabinet and even meet a Fulham FC legend! More info and prices| †

Matchday Skills Clinic
It doesn't matter whether your child is the next Bobby Zamora or even if they have never kicked a football before, our exclusive pre-match skills clinic will cater for everyone from 6 to 14 years of age. Whatever level they play at, our pre-match skills clinic will help them work on their skills and give them the opportunity to make new friends whilst having a lot of fun too. The clinic will be run by the Fulham FC Foundation's qualified, enthusiastic and experienced coaches, so they'll be in excellent hands.

Following the session, take your seats for the big game and see the Whites put those skills to the test! Bookings are only available by calling the Fulham FC Foundation on 0870 442 5432. More info and prices| †   

How to Buy Tickets
buy tickets online  - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Save on booking fees by booking online**
by phone on 0870 442 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
in person from the Ticket Office: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm
by fax 0207 384 4810 (download printable form )
by postal application to FFC Ticket Office, Stevenage Road, Fulham, SW6 6HH enclosing a stamped addressed envelope (download printable form )
Seatwave - the official fan-to-fan ticket exchange
* Members offer expires at 12 midday on Saturday 4th September.

** Lower booking fees compared to telephone booking

† Special offers and packages only available on advance bookings and not on the day of the match.

Prices
Category B prices apply to this match.

NB: Blocks A and AL are a designated Family Area and are not available to  book online. To book, call the Ticket Office on 0870 442 1234 opt.3 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/WolvesHome.aspx#ixzz0yXeye29N

White Noise

Inside Fulham FC

The most comprehensive coverage of Fulham FC. Presented by BBC London 94.9, Inside Fulham FC gives you the latest team news, player and manager interviews as well as features involving the club's community initiatives. Stay in contact with everything at Craven Cottage each Wednesday during the season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/iffc

White Noise

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=reu-euroiceland

Norway rally to edge Iceland 2-1 in qualifier

10 hours, 16 minutes ago

ShareretweetEmailPrintREJKJAVIK, Sept 3 (Reuters) - Norway scored two second half goals to kick off their 2012 European Championship campaign with a 2-1 come-from-behind victory over Iceland in their Group H qualifier on Friday.

Norway dominated stretches of the match, played in wet, windy conditions in Reykjavik, but were sloppy up front and fell behind when Heidar Helguson neatly flicked the ball in from short range in the 38th minute.

After several missed opportunities at the start of the second half, Norway equalised in the 59th minute when towering defender Brede Hangeland out-jumped Iceland's goalkeeper to head the ball into the net.

Sixteen minutes later Mohammed Abdellaoue's low shot from 15 metres sealed the victory for Norway who face Group H favourites Portugal in Oslo next week.

(Reporting by Wojciech Moskwa in Oslo, Editing by Jon Bramley)