watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mr Chris Martin

Started by stevehawkinslidingtackle, May 02, 2017, 06:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcliff white

southecoast it sone of those that can be seen either way depending on your view.

But i said when he signed his new deal with Derby, could he be angling to get a better deal form Fulham if the club wanted him to stay, I got shot down for that, but it is a ploy that could be used.

Either way what he did for me was wrong, but while he is with us we should use him and make the most of whathe brings to the team
Every day is a Fulham day

Jimpav

Like it or not, we wouldn't be where we are now without Martins contribution to the club.

I imagine he must be having a fair bit of 'buyers remorse' but if the club really thought he was worth it then I'm sure a deal could be reached.

There is after all very little loyalty in this game.

Southcoastffc

I agree with WW and Jimpav.    Whatever idealistic thoughts we as fans have, football is largely just one set of employees against another set of employees.  (I originally typed 'mercenaries' instead of employees but felt that sounded a bit harsh - we surely all would be the same if we had the talent.)    Like him or loathe him, CM has made a significant contribution to Fulham this season and, if Slavisa wants to use him in the play-offs and/or bring him to the club on a permanent deal that's ok by me.    I've said before that the wonderful Luis Saha went on strike pre his move to Man Utd. He is still a legend, and loved by many fans, rightly so.  CM may have made a mistake. There are not many perfect people around.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

toshes mate

Quote from: Southcoastffc on May 04, 2017, 11:59:46 AM
Am I reading too much in what he says in bold text?

I have tried to be pragmatic about Mr Martin throughout the season taking each thing I have observed as I feel it merits consideration.  With that in mind I feel his play since the transfer window closed in February to have improved in much the way that the overall team display has improved but why that is I do not know.  I have always watched for those moments in games when players show their commitment.  As an example McDonald does it for me almost all the time and actually seems to enjoy playing for the team.  Almost the whole active squad have demonstrated it to me in sufficient quantity when opportunities have arisen, but Martin definitely, for me, lacked that extra bit before the pre-Reading game fiasco and just after.  I am still a little reluctant to give him a totally clean bill of health.  I feel the team spirit at Fulham at the moment would encourage anyone playing in the side to do well, because when we are good we are really good and players get lifted by that feeling.   I have never been an out and out Martin hater but just someone who can see commitment when it matters and I just want to see more of it from a fit Martin who wants to show us what he can really do.  Perhaps then we can be better placed to determine what he really wants in football.

fulhamben

Quote from: Statto on May 04, 2017, 01:45:28 PM
Quote from: stevehawkinslidingtackle on May 04, 2017, 10:23:31 AM
Quote from: Statto on May 04, 2017, 09:14:53 AM
He has still been our top scorer most of the season. Those that have recently overtaken him, Cairney and Johansen, have played more minutes and have a worse goals/minute ratio. So like him or not he remains our best goal scorer and the second best we've had in the last 3 yrs.
And that is, I'm told, without even putting in 100% or being interested  :005:

Best goal scorer ? No. Second best in 3 years . No, because being called statto you should know about stats, as  McCormack, dembele, cairney, Johanson etc have all scored more in a season during this the last 3 years. So he's 5th at a push. Considering how crap we've been, that's no great achievement. 
As  I've also said before, we differ on opinion here. You love him, I dont. I dont want to bore other members on here disagreeing with you again and again over your man crush for this lard @rse. Please feel free to PM me and I'll meet you at the first play off game, where we can discuss it like gentlemen.
But as the great Brian Clough once said , 'we will talk about it for 20mins and then decide I was right' .  Cheers lad.

I must say it's awfully ironic (your hallmark, I think) when someone starts a thread on such a profound observation as "Chris Martin is the equivalent of Matt Smith", argues with anyone who doesn't share that view (i.e., everyone except fulhamben) with such convincing reasoning and intelligent insight as "he's a lard arse" and "doesn't give 100%", then after 3 pages of that says, "I don't want to bore other members on here". Cheers lad  :005:
shall we just pretend he is our top scorer to make everyone happy. He'll if he scores just one more he can have the mighty accolade  of scoring more than Hugo rodalega
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Woolly Mammoth

Bring back Matt Smith.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

fulhamben

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 04, 2017, 02:18:44 PM
Bring back Matt Smith.
well he has scored more this year, but no thanks. I prefer our 4 6 0. Far more effective
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Quote from: Statto on May 04, 2017, 01:45:28 PM
Quote from: stevehawkinslidingtackle on May 04, 2017, 10:23:31 AM
Quote from: Statto on May 04, 2017, 09:14:53 AM
He has still been our top scorer most of the season. Those that have recently overtaken him, Cairney and Johansen, have played more minutes and have a worse goals/minute ratio. So like him or not he remains our best goal scorer and the second best we've had in the last 3 yrs.
And that is, I'm told, without even putting in 100% or being interested  :005:

Best goal scorer ? No. Second best in 3 years . No, because being called statto you should know about stats, as  McCormack, dembele, cairney, Johanson etc have all scored more in a season during this the last 3 years. So he's 5th at a push. Considering how crap we've been, that's no great achievement. 
As  I've also said before, we differ on opinion here. You love him, I dont. I dont want to bore other members on here disagreeing with you again and again over your man crush for this lard @rse. Please feel free to PM me and I'll meet you at the first play off game, where we can discuss it like gentlemen.
But as the great Brian Clough once said , 'we will talk about it for 20mins and then decide I was right' .  Cheers lad.

I must say it's awfully ironic (your hallmark, I think) when someone starts a thread on such a profound observation as "Chris Martin is the equivalent of Matt Smith", argues with anyone who doesn't share that view (i.e., everyone except fulhamben) with such convincing reasoning and intelligent insight as "he's a lard arse" and "doesn't give 100%", then after 3 pages of that says, "I don't want to bore other members on here". Cheers lad  :005:

Yes you are right. I concede.  As stated though, please feel free to PM me and I'll meet you at the first play off game . 

hovewhite

thank heavens CM is down to joka and CM,interesting that he seems to be warming to his temporary surroundings with promotion 3 whiskas away!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: fulhamben on May 04, 2017, 02:20:21 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 04, 2017, 02:18:44 PM
Bring back Matt Smith.
well he has scored more this year, but no thanks. I prefer our 4 6 0. Far more effective

So do I ⚽️

Never forget your Roots.

One Martin Thomas

Quote from: Southcoastffc on May 04, 2017, 11:59:46 AM
Does CM want to stay?

Extract from this morning on the club site:

"I'm eligible," Martin confirmed. "My loan spell runs out May 31st officially, so I'll be eligible for all the Play-Offs.

"I'm looking forward to it, I've had a taste of it before and it's not always been the most successful time for me so hopefully I can put that right this time around.

"I've not been fortunate enough to be promoted via the Play-Offs but everybody tells me it's the best way to go up.

"I've had a bit of disappointment over the last three or four years during it, so it will be extremely sweet if I do manage to taste success with this set of lads because I think we deserve it.

"We've played some of the best football I've seen for a long time in this division, so hopefully that can be rewarded with promotion."

Am I reading too much in what he says in bold text?

He made a mistake and was ill advised by McLaren.  His family is up there and he wanted to go back... I get this; he did what it takes for the family like everyone else would.  His actions were silly and unprofessional, but he is still a good player.  We don't have another player in the squad at the moment like him (with Smith gone) and he is therefore very useful.  We would not be where we are today without him and as long as he pulls on a white shirt, I'll cheer for him and can forgive him.  Joka seems to have sorted him out in the short term and we should trust whatever Joka says and does.  Martin plays if Joka wants him to in my book.  End of !

Woolly Mammoth

I am not a particularly great fan of Martin for more than one reason.
However, as we have not the deepest squad in the Division, he is another string to our bow.
The next 18 days are pivotal, there is so much at stake. So on that basis, I feel we need to put away personal feelings untill we know our fate. He may serve a purpose over the next 3 and hopefully 4 matches, and that's what counts.
We have a great opportunity, we have to, and I know Jok and the players will give it there best shot, and that's what counts.

Never forget your Roots.

Max Headroom

If Derby were in the play offs it would be different, but they aren't so why wouldn't he play for the team.

I'm not a Martin fan. At Rotherham I was astounded at his weight, and think he is slow,  we don't have an out and out goal scorer or a centre forward so he is it I'm afraid.

I see the value he brings but do wish we had someone better. 10 goals as our lead striker isn't a good return playing in this team

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Someone threw a roll of bog roll at him today. Must be a weird subliminal message there somewhere.

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 04, 2017, 07:18:47 PM
I am not a particularly great fan of Martin for more than one reason.
However, as we have not the deepest squad in the Division, he is another string to our bow.
The next 18 days are pivotal, there is so much at stake. So on that basis, I feel we need to put away personal feelings untill we know our fate. He may serve a purpose over the next 3 and hopefully 4 matches, and that's what counts.
We have a great opportunity, we have to, and I know Jok and the players will give it there best shot, and that's what counts.
That's right, we must not think beyond the next three weeks but concentrate fully on the play offs.

Martin is available as a conventional  target man that can provide us with an option in attack. Jocanovic will decide if he can be used to change a game and all the time he is available it gives our opponents something else to think about.

Any discussion on Martin's future at Fulham must be put on the back burner until after the play offs.

mrmicawbers

The main thing IMO is that his team mates seem to like him.Some of my pals had pictures taken with Aluko,Malone,Betts and Martin in Sheffield on Saturday while sight seeing.