watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Paper Gossip.

Started by Mince n Tatties, May 07, 2017, 11:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BestOfBrede

I'm not so sure we need a massive change though. I think the team plays as a team and that's really important - look at how poor Midlesborough have been and yet with so called 'better' players!
Overspending doesn't always work - look at how many times we have been stung!
I really like our team and think we need strengthening rather than any silly money being thrown for the sake.
Anyway, it's important, imo, that threads are backing the boys now more than ever, they deserve our support and not any hint of 'he isn't good enough!'

TC's Sporran

just enjoy the ride next season, enjoy the sightseeing,  lower expectations and prepare for total domination the season after

simples

Travers Barney

Quote from: westcliff white on May 08, 2017, 02:50:07 PM
Quote from: Snibbo on May 08, 2017, 02:41:41 PM
Quote from: westcliff white on May 08, 2017, 09:42:34 AM
Quote from: Snibbo on May 08, 2017, 09:16:16 AM
Quote from: jarv on May 07, 2017, 11:23:27 PM
Didn't Roy build a fine team with a lot of other clubs rejects, benchwarmers. Zamora, Murphy, Davies, Konchesky to name a few. Can't think of others but it can be done at a reasonable (by today's standards) price.
and quite a few of those were bought by Sorry Lawrie. He had an eye for a bargain, did Lawrie
Zamora and Konch were def Roy singings

Konch was a sanchez signing, also murphy and hughes . Steven Davis, though he didn't work out at fulham was also a sanchez, as was Dio  kamara.  Not a bad bunch (though there were one or two shockers as well)
Never knew Konch was i am surprised, the others i didnt dispute. Davis i was gutted about a decent player, Kamara never really justified the fee and Healy was awful for us, not his fault we went long and it wasnt his game unless he had a target man nect to him and we didnt have one of those.

Felt Kamara justified the fee with his heroics at the tail end of the season in 2007/8. Not the most consistent of players but his performances against Villa/City away still got the scars/Brum and that burst of pace that nicked the free kick at Fratton Park were vital in keeping us up. Next season in and out form but the year after I felt Roy discarded him too soon....wish he had been on the bench in Hamburg where with just a little of that speed he showed in Sofia just maybe could have made the difference....coyw
We are the whites

Keynsham

Quote from: Statto on May 09, 2017, 06:57:13 PM
Quote from: BestOfBrede on May 09, 2017, 06:37:12 PM
Quote from: Keynsham on May 09, 2017, 05:07:21 PM
If we do get there, then this squad is nowhere near good enough to stay up, such is the gulf between Championship and Premier League.
Wow hope the lads aren't reading this - real good way of confidence boost before the playoffs!

I personally think that in Slavisa we have the right leadership/coaching to be reasonably successful in the premier without overspending.

Think the point is just about the gulf in class, not a dig at our players. As the song goes, we're not Real Madrid after all. Look at the leagues we are in, Brighton probably the best team in the division with a spine of Stockdale, Duffy, sidwell and Murray, all players who looked crap in the premiership, then look at Palace, battling to avoid relegation with top international class players like sakho, zaha, Townsend and benteke, the gulf is just so huge

Exactly that. It's not to be down on the players that we have, but as a squad we have to look at how many Premier League sides our lads would actually get into.  It's not many, unfortunately which is simply being realistic and not getting carried away.

This is not to say that I don't think they have performed incredibly this season. I think I had them down for somewhere between a 9th and 12th placed finish back in August so to be where they are is a fantastic achievement in my eyes.