https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (11/05/17)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 11, 2017, 07:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Malone wants Fulham to use 'experience' to their advantage
by Dan on May 10, 2017

Scott Malone has urged Fulham's senior professionals to use all of their experience to help the rest of the squad manage the pressure of the Championship play-offs.

The Whites entertain Reading at Craven Cottage on Saturday night in the first leg of the play-off semi-final but few of Slavisa Jokanovic's probable starting line-up have experience of the unique end-of-season format. Scott Parker, Kevin McDonald, David Button and Chris Martin can utilise their past personal knowledge of the play-offs from their lengthy careers in English football and Malone wants them to use those memories as a crucial resource in the run-up to the fixture.

The full-back told Get West London:

This is all new to me, I don't think I've finished above 11th or tenth last tear in the Championship so it's all pretty new. I think the gaffer touched on it the other day that it's his first experience too, but we have experience in that dressing room, Scott Parker has been around for years and Kevin McDonald has been in the play-offs a few times too.

There are a lot of people who have been in and around it so their experience is going to help the ones that haven't been there before and experienced it. I'm not going to fear it, I'm going to look forward to it, it's an exciting time and the gaffer said it the other day that we have four weeks now to potentially change your life, financially and career wise – it's a massive opportunity for us.

The 26 year-old defender, who swapped clubs with Jazz Richards last summer, has enjoyed a superb first season with Fulham flying down the left wing in Jokanovic's attack-minded system. Malone quickly established himself as the first choice left-back, making 40 appearances and scoring six goals.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2017/05/malone-wants-fulham-to-use-experience/

WhiteJC

Derby County chairman Mel Morris: I was never comfortable with Chris Martin's move to Fulham

Derby County owner and chairman Mel Morris has admitted he was "never ever comfortable" with Chris Martin's loan move to Fulham this season.

Martin joined Fulham on a season-long deal on transfer deadline day last August. The striker had been the Rams' leading scorer for the previous three years running.

Manager-at-the-time, Nigel Pearson, did not see the Scotland international as part of his plans and had signed another striker, Matej Vydra, from Watford, in a club record deal.

But after Steve McClaren replaced Pearson at the helm, Derby tried, unsuccessfully, to get Martin back - during the January transfer window.

The player remained at Craven Cottage and could yet help them win promotion to the Premier League via the Championship play-offs.

However, Martin did sign a new contract with the Rams in January and manager Gary Rowett expects him to be back at Derby next season.

Rowett and Morris attended a fans' forum at the Old Bell Hotel in Sadler Gate on Tuesday evening.

Speaking at the event, Morris revealed: "The Chris Martin move I was never ever comfortable with."

Morris said he was unhappy about the situation "before and after", both as a "fan" and a "chairman".

"No disrespect to Matej (Vydra) but we hardly replaced like-for-like," he added.

"Matej was never going to be able to fill in for Chris... and I think that was one of the significant blows to the season."

Derby are preparing for a 10th consecutive season in the Championship after finishing ninth in the table, 13 points adrift of the play-off zone.

"There has been lots of challenges and mistakes this season," admitted Morris - but he added: "I do believe we are now in a good position. Gary (Rowett) has got a free hand on what needs to be done in the summer.

"I am feeling upbeat about next season."

Rowett is also feeling positive about the team's chances in 2017-18.

I genuinely think at the very, very least we can challenge for the top two positions," said the manager.

Rowett is set to make changes to his squad over the summer.

"We are looking for character and value, and we will not recruit anyone who does not have the drive to take Derby County forward," he told Rams fans.

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-chairman-mel-morris-i-was-never-comfortable-with-chris-martin-s-move-to-fulham/story-30323871-detail/story.html#OVpcEcHgt6Fjd7pj.99

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Reading: Thrashings, fog and penalties; GetWestLondon looks back at this season's meetings

The two sides have played two and a half games against each other, including the abandoned contest on December 30

Fulham take on Reading in the Championship play-off semi final first leg on Saturday evening.

The two sides have played two and a half games against each other, including the abandoned contest on December 30.

The Whites claimed a 5-0 victory over the Royals at the start of December as Jaap Stam's side were, well and truly outclassed.

Then came the fogging shambles as the match was abandoned at half time, despite conditions appearing to improve from what they were like in the first half.

Reading claimed the glory in the rearranged game in what was a tale of two penalties. Roy Beerens scored after David Button brilliantly saved John Swift's penalty before Chris Martin, who had refused to play in the abandoned game, saw his late spot kick saved by Ali Al Habsi as Fulham's penalty woes continued.

We take a look back at the three meetings between the two sides.

December 3: Fulham 5-0 Reading

Fulham celebrate after Chris Gunter's own goal

Chris Martin led the way as Fulham proved their status as play-off contenders against Jaap Stam's high-flying Reading at Craven Cottage .

Chris Gunter's early own goal gave the hosts the lead early on, before Chris Martin put the Whites in a commanding lead shortly after the break.

Danny Williams' red card shortly after half time left the visitors vulnerable before Sone Aluko put the game to bed and Stefan Johansen added a well-deserved fourth.

And Martin added his second with a 90th minute free kick as the Whites staked their claim for a top six spot.

Tough puff: Kevin McDonald grapples with Reading's Roy Beerens

Slavisa Jokanovic's team have proven that they are no longer fodder for the Championship's top ten sides, a stark contrast to the previous two seasons.

In fact, the Whites are showing that they have earned the right to be in the top ten - with another good performance against one of the top sides in Reading.

After a narrow defeat at Brighton, and a 5-0 win against Huddersfield - flying high at the time - at home, Fulham are certainly showing positive signs in the way of a promotion push.

The next challenge for the Whites is to maintain that sort of form over the 46-game season.

If they do, surely they will be in and around the play-offs come May.

December 30: Reading A-A Fulham (fog)

Fogged off: Fulham's game at Reading is abandoned (Photo: Get Reading)

Chris Martin's exodus from the matchday squad for refusing to play wasn't able to manifest itself as Fulham's clash with Reading was abandoned at half-time due to fog.

Although at the fog filled Madejski stadium the Scottish striker may have found himself to be as trivial to viewing supporters had he started.

The Fulham loanee signalled his intent to return to his parent club Derby County this morning and, in an attempt to speed up the process, made himself unavailable for the Whites trip to Berkshire.

As the half developed it became clear that viewing, playing and officiating the game was becoming challenging and twice referee James Linington was seen discussing the state of play with both managers.

Interestingly the Whites captain Tom Cairney remained absent from any conversation suggesting that, perhaps, the midfielder was keen to get on with proceedings.

In first-half stoppage time Callum Harriott burst through a gap in the Fulham defence to hit a powerful shot from 20 yards that Button had to palm behind in order to keep the game goalless.

However, despite seeing the half through and allowing both sets of players to emerge for the second half with the conditions improving, the referee made the decision to call the game off although conditions seemed to have improved.

Both sets of fans made their anger clear, but their frustrations would have to travel back with them to west London.

'Unplayable': Madejski Stadium pitch at 10pm

First off, it is important to note that the press box is at the top of the main stand above the tunnel so the view quite possibly would have been different on the pitch. I can only go with what I saw with my own eyes and my seat was in line with the edge of the Fulham area.

Had James Linington called the players off midway through the first half there would have been no complaints as the fog was at its worst then.

When I returned to the press box after half-time I went down to the other end to see what the view was and, in my opinion, conditions had improved.

I was as surprised as everyone when the game was then abandoned and the general consensus of the Fulham squad when I polled them on the way out was that the wrong call was made.

Returning to the press working room at around 10pm, I went to check the pitch and was amazed to see the fog had completely cleared.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but, in my opinion, a half hour delay midway through the first half would have been the best course of action in order to get the full 90 minutes in.

January 24: Reading 1-0 Fulham

Missed again: Chris Martin (Photo: Getty Images Europe)

Fulham suffered a 1-0 defeat to Reading at the Madejski Stadium, as Chris Martin missed his second penalty in as many games.

Roy Beerens' goal second-half goal cemented a Royals win after John Swift's penalty, given for a foul on Liam Moore, was parried by David Button.

The Whites couldn't reciprocate after Martin was brought down in the box and Royals keeper Ali Al Habsi saved his last-minute efforts.

Slavisa Jokanovic's side remain five points away from the play-off places.

Fulham fans on GetWestLondon's Twitter account reacted in horror to the fact that the Whites had been awarded a penalty kick.

They have missed more than they have scored this season and it was no exception at the Madejski Stadium.

Chris Martin, who missed against QPR, stepped up again but Ali Al Habsi was on hand to deny the striker.

Maybe it's time to have penalty practice at Motspur Park?

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-vs-reading-thrashings-fog-13013008

WhiteJC

Pompey interest in Fulham forward?

George Williams, the type of forward Paul Cook would want at Pompey I reckon, has been linked with a move to Fratton Park, according to HITC.

There's a catch, Williams is he's under contract, apparently highly rated and in demand, but the fact he's found his chances at Craven Cottage limited could see him move on? Especially if Fulham made it into the Premier League through the play-offs?

Williams, who rose to fame as a youngster at MK Dons I believe, is attracting attention north and south of the border. Pompey would have to overcome competition from the likes of Charlton, Burton and Plymouth, I'm sure we could beat that lot (Argyle) again - no doubt they would bottle it when it came to the crunch...

A loan return to MK Dons earlier in the season was eventually cut short, owing to a lack of football at the league one club, but his return to Craven Cottage saw him score 17 goals for Fulham's U23 side from January onwards.

Yes, U23 level is different to 1st team level, but Williams, 21, doesn't lack this as such and is an international, having been part of the Wales squad that made it to the semi-finals at Euro 2016.

I've heard of Williams, as said a player who has always been highly rated, but cannot claim to know much about him? However, what I would say is this type of 'rumour' is a potentially realistic one, but it actually going through might come down to the fee involved, unless Fulham extended his deal and we are then talking a season-long loan arrangement? I'm not overly keen on loans these days though to be honest

We'll see how this one pans out, on a likelihood rating I'd think it's got a decent chance, like I say, well of having at but of substance to it at least.

PLAY UP POMPEY

Read more: http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=581210#ixzz4gkatsbsV

WhiteJC

Scott Malone: Fulham's momentum makes them Championship play-off favourites

Left-back Scott Malone has scored six goals in 36 Championship appearances this season

Fulham defender Scott Malone believes his side have momentum and are the Championship play-off favourites.

They play Reading at Craven Cottage on Saturday in the semi-final first leg, before the away leg on Tuesday, 16 May.

Fulham finished sixth, but lost just two of their final 17 league games.

"Being seventh up until two weeks ago has helped us. We needed to carry on winning games to get into the top six, whereas the other three teams already knew they were in," Malone said.

"The momentum is with us, we're playing really well and our form is good."

Fulham have beaten Reading 5-0 and 4-2 in their past two home meetings.

Left-back Malone believes Fulham's mix of youth and experience and the intensity with which they have been forced to play at in recent weeks will stand them in good stead in the play-offs.

He told BBC Radio London: "Huddersfield and Sheffield Wednesday have rested a few players over the past week. We've not done that - we couldn't due to the position we were in.

"We're pretty much the form team and possibly the favourites at the minute, which is a bit strange because we've been seventh, eighth and ninth all season. To go in as favourites is a little bit of a turnaround."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39870849

WhiteJC

Derby won't let Chris Martin situation settle down as Fulham prepare for Reading

The striker moved to Craven Cottage on a season long deal in August under the management of Nigel Pearson

Derby chairman Mel Morris has revealed that he was never comfortable with Chris Martin signing for Fulham on loan.

The striker moved to Craven Cottage on a season long deal in August under the management of Nigel Pearson.

After the Rams boss was replaced by Steve McClaren, the Rams were keen to get him back to the iPro and Martin made himself unavailable for their trip to Reading on December 30.

The striker eventually ended his absence in January and has subsequently signed a new deal at Derby.

Fulham are preparing for their Championship play-off semi final against Reading, with Martin available for the games but that hasn't stopped the Rams from bleating about the Scot's original move.

Available for play-offs: Chris Martin (Photo: Lewis Darling)

The Derby Telegraph quote Morris as saying: "The Chris Martin move I was never ever comfortable with."

They also reported Morris said he was unhappy about the situation "before and after", both as a "fan" and a "chairman".

"No disrespect to Matej (Vydra) but we hardly replaced like-for-like," he added.

"Matej was never going to be able to fill in for Chris... and I think that was one of the significant blows to the season."

Fulham have an option to buy Martin at the end of the season.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-wont-chris-martin-situation-13013975

WhiteJC

Denis Odoi insists Fulham's play-off semi final with Reading will be one for the neutrals

Both sides like to play an attacking brand of football and the Belgian reckons the neutral fans will be in for a treat on Saturday

Denis Odoi wants Fulham to go out and play their attacking brand of football in their play-off semi-final against Reading and reckons it will be an interesting tie for the neutral.

The two teams face each other at Craven Cottage on Saturday in the first leg before attentions turn to the Madejski Stadium on Tuesday night as the sides battle for a place in the play-off final at Wembley.

Ahead of the game, the 28-year-old has drawn comparisons between the way both teams play, with both Slavisa Jokanovic and Jaap Stam building their sides on an attacking philosophy, and Odoi believes that Fulham must take the game to Reading as defending a lead is not something they do too well at.

He said: "We can be satisfied with the season so far, we've managed to obtain our goal and now we have three games left to go further.

"I think there are three similar teams, then you have Sheffield Wednesday - Huddersfield, Reading and us are teams that try to play a lot of football from the back so in that way I think it will be an interesting game from a neutral perspective.

Did you see that? Denis Odoi scores from 35 yards

"I think it will be two sides who play offensive football, I think maybe from their side they will not be afraid and know what we can bring to the table and will be very conscience about our strengths.

"We have to try to win our games at home and hopefully get as many goals and not concede any, then we can go to reading and try to defend a positive result but I think everybody knows defending a lead is not something that suits our style of play.

"We also try to play attacking football so we will start with the game at Craven cottage and do as well as possible.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/denis-odoi-insists-fulhams-play-13010776

WhiteJC

The Championship Play-Offs: Are Fulham destined for top flight glory?

Fulham are building confidence at just the right time and though they might right now be the lowest placed team in the play-offs, they are also the team many wish to avoid.

For the first six months of the season, their defeats were unfortunate while their victories were hugely convincing. We saw flashes of what they could do on the opening day against hot favourites Newcastle, then in 5-0 home wins over Huddersfield and Reading in October and December respectively. Tom Cairney pulled the strings in those demolitions and, having scored a wonderful strike in the 3-1 win at St James's Park last month, he has been one of the division's most creative players.

Super Tom Cairney and his dogged midfield

Not only has he played the Championship's third most key passes per game at 2.6 (as of 29th April), he also possesses the division's best pass completion ratio of 92%. In most cases, the players with the best ball retention statistics are not the most productive in attack, because creativity involves risk. Not only does Cairney keep hold of the ball in good areas, he also has the audacity to play a defence-splitting pass when the moment arises.

The former Blackburn man is ably supported by the relentless energy of Stefan Johansen and the metronomic control of Kevin McDonald, who make up one of the best midfield trios in the division. They impressed against Brighton and while the Cottagers lost narrowly to the champions-elect, Expected Goals statistics have always shone kindly on them. The Whites dominated Burton and Derby in the capital but drew, also missing two penalties to inexplicably lose to West London rivals QPR at the start of October, with six of the other 10 spot-kicks failing to land.

Plenty of Attacking Guile

If Fulham are charitable from the spot however, they are anything but in other scenarios with 82 goals in 44 making them the division's top scorers. Surprisingly, of the 17 Championship players who have scored more than 11 goals this term, none play for Fulham. Of the 30 who have scored between 11 and eight, five ply their trade at Craven Cottage.

This shows that their attacking efforts are not dependent on the form of individuals, which has given Fulham an advantage over other teams. For example, in 12 of the 19 games in which Chris Wood has failed to score this season, so have Leeds United. Garry Monk's side have often absorbed pressure, knowing that their talisman would take the first chance he gets. That approach worked for them up to a point but it came at the expense of developing a Plan B and in recent games we have seen them pay the price.

By contrast, Fulham are consistently creating chances. While they had some bad luck earlier in the season, their proactive approach is proving more sustainable in the long run. Sone Aluko has completed 2.3 dribbles per game with 10 assists to his name to boot, capable of playing either on the right wing or down the middle. Togolese Floyd Ayite and 16-year-old Ryan Sessegnon also provide pace in wide areas, adding incision to Fulham's fine passing moves.

A case for the defence

Their questionable defensive record earlier on was not helped by instability, as Slavisa Jokanovic struggled to establish a settled centre-back partnership due to injuries. However, the Serb has been able to stick with the same back four for the last three games, in which his side have conceded just three times.

He will be particularly relieved to have Tomas Kalas fit ahead of the play-offs. Fulham concede two or more goals in 60% of their games without him, but just 24% of the ones in which he plays. The Czech's presence has brought the best out of Tim Ream, a ball-playing defender who has grown in confidence this term. The duo are flanked by two hardworking full-backs in Ryan Fredericks, who played with Kalas at Middlesbrough, and Scott Malone, who has scored more goals (six) than any Championship defender.

The quartet defended their box heroically at Norwich recently, helping their side to a 3-1 victory despite a man disadvantage. In the subsequent two matches, Aston Villa and Huddersfield had just four shots on target between them. Villa, albeit with 10-men, barely threatened in the box and relied on a long-range screamer from Jack Grealish, while the Terriers' second half improvement came when they were already 4-1 down.

A fancied favourite

Despite finishing the campaign in 6th, the Cottagers are, as of May 10th, just 13/8 odds to win promotion this month, according to Betway Sports.

Having found title-winning form in their last 15 games, Fulham are clearly a side blossoming at the right time. But with a Huddersfield Town side who have defied all expectations this season, along with Sheffield Wednesday and Reading who are desperate for a return to the EPL, the next few weeks will be the most testing of the Cottagers' entire season.

After a three year absence from the top flight themselves, the club and its supporters will be under no illusions of what's at stake over the coming weeks. With a 'if it's not broke don't fix it' mentality', these same supporters will be hoping the momentum gained from their fine form over the last couple of months will be enough to book them a place back in the Premier League come May the 29th.

http://the72.co.uk/80679/championship-play-offs-fulham-destined-top-flight-glory/

WhiteJC

Limited Tickets Remaining

Fans are advised that only a limited number of tickets remain available to buy for our Play-Off Semi-Final against Reading at Craven Cottage.

Saturday's 5.30pm kick-off has now virtually sold out across three stands, and Putney End (home area) is now the only stand with good availability remaining.

These are on sale to supporters with a booking history, and it is advisable to book as soon as possible as the fixture is expected to sell out.

To secure your seat, fans can buy online at fulhamfc.com/tickets, by phone on 0843 208 1234 or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2017/may/10/limited-tickets-remaining

WhiteJC

Sheff Utd set to beat Leeds & Fulham to in-demand winger

Sky Sports reports that Sheffield United have agreed a fee of £300,000 with Hartlepool United to sign winger Nathan Thomas. The 22-year-old was one of the shining lights in what was ultimately a dreadful season for Hartlepool, who were relegated into the Vanarama National League.

The Northern Echo reports that Leeds United have also monitored the progress of the goalscoring wide man. Fulham are another side said to have rivalled Sheffield United for his signature. It would however appear that the player is destined for Bramall Lane in the very near future.

Thomas has been on the books at Victoria Park ever since making the move from Mansfield Town in January of last year. He made a decent impression last season, but ultimately found himself to be substituted on quite a regular basis. Although his side were ultimately relegated, he has been a big positive factor to come out of Hartlepool United this season. He helped himself to nine goals, including a brace earlier in the campaign in the 2-1 away success at Yeovil Town.

Many other Sky Bet Championship clubs are said to have paid a particularly keen interest in the forward, who is set to leave his current club. With relegation confirmed after Newport County's last winner against Notts County, money is much tighter and a star asset such as Thomas could be sold to help raise much needed funds.

http://the72.co.uk/80712/sheff-utd-winger-chase/

WhiteJC

Stam Happy For Reading FC To Be Given Underdogs Label In Championship Play-Offs
Before facing Fulham the Royals coach insisted that he does not care how others rate his side.

Given odds as long as 5/1 in a four-horse race, few expect Reading to perform well in the play-offs this season although that hasn't phased manager Jaap Stam.

Many have tipped Fulham to succeed in the play-offs but Stam insisted that his side were concentrating on their own performance at Craven Cottage.

"I don't mind that we are [underdogs] I'm not reading the things people write about us, I'm not interested either and I focus on the team, what we can do and how we've been playing this season and how they've played against us and finding a way to make it difficult for them to get a good result to reach the final," the boss told reporters.

"It's not going to be easy, Fulham are a good side, they've been looking to reach the top six for several seasons. They've played in the Premier League and they have money to spend so it's logical they have that ambition. We have it as well and there's no pressure on us to get their straight away but now we have the chance, we want to take it.

"We've beaten them at home. In the play-offs it's about two games, not one or more so it's a different approach and a different level of stress for the managers and players."

Having been on the wrong end of a 5-0 thrashing in West London before the turn of the year, the Royals boss dismissed the importance of that result.

"No we haven't [discussed the loss], we've spoken about the 1-0 we won at home," said Stam. "As a club, as a player, as a group you want to play certain games at a certain level and here we are, so let's do it.

"If you want to get into the final, if you want to be in the Premier League then you get even better teams than Fulham so you need to match yourself with the best teams in the league.

"If you don't play them now, you might face them in the final. We want to prove ourselves against the best teams in the league and Fulham are one of those teams."

The Dutchman gave an update on the fitness state of Garath McCleary and Paul McShane, although Stephen Quinn is not expected to feature in the two legs.

"They've been training today so we need to have a look at them and the physios are deciding if they can join in on Friday again and be available for the game on Saturday," he continued.

Were Reading to fail in their bid to gain promotion, the manager was somewhat evasive in giving total commitment to the club for next season.

"I don't know, I've still got a contract for another season and there's nothing going on so if it's up to me for another season I'm still here," said Stam.

"I'm enjoying my team over here and we're working towards something. If not this season, then maybe next season but depending as well on what we can do and what the owners can do.

"I don't really want to think about it because it's not there, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

Furthermore, Stam was clear that a third placed finish makes the season a success regardless of how the next couple of weeks pan out.

"Everybody needs to be very happy with where we've ended up [already]," he maintained. "Ending up third in the league is a great achievement from the players, although if you have the opportunity you want to take it.

"Everybody's given their everything and if we don't make it then it's not a shame because we've done very well. We've made a lot of progress and we need to take this experience into next season to hopefully do even better which is not going to be easy."

Much debate has rung around the Madejski Stadium about whether Reading are a lucky team and the former defender admitted that certain things have gone their way recently.

"Sometimes you need to have a bit of luck, sometimes this season we have had our fair share of luck, but as we always say if you work hard then you can get that bit of luck," he noted.

Stam also noted that there is no update on Danny Williams' contract talks with Brian Tevreden and that he's worried about players departing in the summer.

"If we don't make it and even if we do, then what can we do?" he pondered. "Can we invest? Do we need to make changes to the squad? Sometimes you want to make improvements to the squad but how many? Is it a possibility? If not, is it easy to stay in the Premier League?"

"If we stay in the Championship, what then? Do we keep the same squad and expect the same results? Are certain players going to be sold because they've done well? If you need to bring in players, do you have the chance to bring in players of the same level or even better? And if you can't, then it's about whether you make a couple of steps back or forward.

"It's going to be very difficult next season for the top 10, money-wise, for those without money."

Reading can seal promotion to the top-flight in three game's time, first facing Fulham at 17:30 this Saturday before a semi-final second leg on Tuesday for a place at Wembley.

http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/2017/5/10/15605174/stam-happy-reading-fc-underdogs-label-championship-play-offs

WhiteJC

Stam does not know if he will be at Reading next season

Jaap Stam admits he does not know if he will still be Reading boss next season.

The Dutchman is understood to have plenty of admirers in the Premier League after guiding the Royals to third in the Championship in his first campaign as a manager.

Stam, a Champions League winner as a player with Manchester United, was linked with West Ham when Slaven Bilic was under pressure earlier this term.

And when asked what would happen should Reading fail to secure promotion and a top-flight club come calling this summer, Stam said: "I don't know.

"I don't really want to think about it, it's not there. So we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

"I still have a contract for another season and there's nothing going on. If it's up to me for now I'm still over here, I'm enjoying my time here and we are working towards something.

"It would be nice if we can do it straight away this season, but If it's not going to happen then maybe next season depending on what the owners can do with the club."

Reading face much-fancied Fulham in the play-off semi-finals, with the first leg at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

Despite finishing five points ahead of the Cottagers, Stam's side go into the tie as underdogs according to the bookmakers.

But he said: "I don't mind that. I'm not reading what people are writing about us, or Fulham, and I'm not really interested either.

"I'm interested in the team, what we can do, how we have played against Fulham and how we can make it difficult for them to get a good result so we can get to the final.

"We know it's not going to be easy, Fulham are a quality team.

"They've been looking to en

d up in the top six for several seasons, they've been in the Premier League for years already, they have money to spend so it's logical for them to have that ambition as well.

"There is no pressure on us to get there straight away, but if you have the chance, then you want to take it and that's what we want to do.

"We are ready for it. As a club, as a player, you want to play games at a certain level - and here we are."

https://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/stam-future-uncertain/65374

WhiteJC

Top 20 Managers of the EFL – 9th: Slavisa Jokanovic (Fulham)

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic has been voted by you as the 9th best manager in the EFL.

Over the last month, we have been gathering votes from you to find the best managers and players in the EFL. And after counting the votes, we have discovered you think that Jokanovic is the 9th best manager in the Football League.
Slavisa Jokanovic has had one of the diverse managerial careers a man can have, but he seems to have finally found a home at Sky Bet Championship side Fulham. His managerial career began in his native Serbia, before stints in Thailand, Bulgaria and Israel, to name a few. He joined the West London club in December 2015, when the club were firmly in a relegation battle. He helped them survive relegation, and then set a target for a top six finish for his first full season in charge.
And that's exactly what he did. Fulham finished sixth in the Sky Bet Championship this year, earning them a place in the Play-Offs, and the potential to push on and return to the Premier League. Jokanovic has done a wonderful job in turning Fulham around, and it seems like they really are now a club on the up. One of the admirable things about the Serbian is his willingness to give youth a go, and it has certainly paid off. The likes of 16-year-old Ryan Sessegnon has been crucial to Fulham's success this season.
Jokanovic will not settle for sixth place though. The Cottagers will face Reading over two legs in the Play-Off Semi Final, with the winner going to Wembley to face either Sheffield Wednesday or Huddersfield Town for a place in the Premier League.

http://the72.co.uk/80699/top-20-managers-efl-9th-slavisa-jokanovic-fulham/

WhiteJC

Sessegnon Starts – Strongest 4-2-3-1 Fulham Line-Up For The Game Against Reading

Predicted Fulham Lineup To Face Reading

Having finished the season on a real high to grab 6th place from Leeds, Fulham will look to keep their momentum going here and get themselves to Wembley.

Their own attacking ambition is matched by Reading and so they will need to be more careful than normal in this game. That said, they'll find it hard to keep a lid on Malone, Johansen and the front four. So a hugely attacking game is anticipated between two of the league's most open teams.

Reading, despite their 3rd place finish have not faced the very strongest of opposition recently and when they have, such as at Norwich, they have succumbed and see Slavisa Jokanovic could go for the jugular here using his tried and tested 4-2-3-1 formation.

Probable Fulham XI:
Formation: 4-2-3-1
Manager: Slavisa Jokanovic
GK – Marcus Bettinelli

The young 'keeper seems to have established himself in the side late in the season and will be given the responsibility of keeping out a good attacking outfit here.
RB – Ryan Fredericks

Although Odoi played at Hillsborough last time, Fredericks offers a good attacking threat and may come back in. If Reading don't attack it will feel unnatural to them. However, if they do and the likes of Obita and Gunter stay forward then the narrow nature of the other defenders can leave space for Fredericks and Malone to slide into.
CB – Tomas Kalas

Forming a good partnership with Ream and they will need to be on their guard if Reading go with two up front.
CB – Tim Ream

Showing all his experience of late at the back and will be important once again. Should start this important game for Fulham.
LB – Scott Malone

Provides a huge attacking threat and should be encouraged once again to keep piling forward. A nervy and a more defensive-minded performance wouldn't suit Fulham and especially Malone.
CM – Kevin MacDonald

Going under the radar of the wider football world, but MacDonald has had a good season and is needed here.
CM – Stefan Johansen

Rested last time, Johansen is yet another player who can get forward and contribute with goals. So a fresher version of him is not good news for Reading.
RW – Sone Aluko

A long season for the Rangers man could yet end with Premier League football being achieved and he is a certain starter.
CAM – Tom Cairney

Fulham's main man Cairney should return to a more familiar position further up the pitch following his more withdrawn role at Sheffield Wednesday.
LW – Ryan Sessegnon

The youngster should come back into the side now and will provide a great attacking threat down the left. He has been brilliant this season and will look to keep going.
ST – Floyd Ayite

Another player who was rested last time in favour of Martin, he should regain his place and make life difficult for the Reading back three.

http://soccersouls.com/2017/05/11/sessegnon-starts-strongest-4-2-3-1-fulham-line-game-reading/

WhiteJC

Yann Kermorgant Starts – Strongest 5-3-2 Reading Line-Up To Play Against Fulham

Predicted Reading Lineup To Face Fulham

Who wants to play Fulham right now? The answer is nobody. But by virtue of an impressive 3rd placed finish in the Championship, that task falls to Reading.

Beating Fulham over 2 legs in the play-offs looks a really hard task on paper, but one thing Reading have in their armoury that perhaps other sides have been lacking lately is a true attacking intent. Fulham will pile pressure on Reading at every opportunity. However, on the break Reading will be so dangerous and will feel confident of registering at least a couple of goals themselves.

Reading, despite keeping their momentum up, and finishing 3rd, have not had the hardest of tasks in recent weeks and so are in danger of being surprised by the level of opposition they find themselves up against here.

Probable Reading XI:
Formation: 5-3-2
Manager: Jaap Stam
GK – Ali Al Habsi

The former Bolton and Wigan man has been in inspired form and will need to pull out all the stops if he is to keep Fulham from getting on the score sheet this time.
RWB – Chris Gunter

If Reading are to win, they need to show guts. However, Gunter getting forward with regularity will undoubtedly result in more chances for Fulham and so for once, he may need to stay disciplined. The twin threat of Sessegnon and Malone on this side will be enough to curtail his forward momentum.
CB – Paul McShane

Reading's back three have it all to do. McShane and co may be pulled apart by Fulham, who have attacking threats coming from all angles.
CB – Liam Moore

Taking the responsibility of the central role, it may pay for Moore to simply keep tabs on Ayite and allow his teammates to track the others. Failure to do so may result in this central defence getting out of shape.
CB – Tiago Ilori

Aluko and Cairney may be his main challengers and he will do well to watch them both.
LWB – Jordan Obita

Like Gunter, Obita may need to keep his discipline here and not venture forward as much as normal.
CM – George Evans

Staying as close as possible to Johansen may be the way to go for Evans, though it must not be forgotten that goals are still important for his side too.
CM – Roy Beerens

If he could mark Cairney out of the game, he will have taken Reading forward a step single-handedly.
CM – Liam Kelly

With Obita perhaps pegged back, Kelly may ghost into wider areas and perhaps get in behind Fulham when Fredericks is caught up the field.
ST – Lewis Grabban

May well get the nod considering his past with Kermorgant. Scored last time and has the pace to trouble Fulham's central two.
ST – Yann Kermorgant

Mr. Reliable will play again and his unflappable nature could be crucial. This may well be one chance, one goal type of scenario for the Frenchman.

http://soccersouls.com/2017/05/11/yann-kermorgant-starts-strongest-5-3-2-reading-line-play-fulham/

WhiteJC

Fulham vs. Reading: Keys to the game
What are the keys to taking down Reading?

We've already taken a deep dive into the kind of team Reading is. With all of that knowledge, what have we learned about how to beat them?

Don't worry about possession
Reading, like Fulham, are a possession oriented team. Fulham finished just ahead of Reading in all the possession statistics. You might think that starving Reading of possession might throw them off their game and Fulham is probably the one team in the league that could easily do that. Fulham attempted about 80 more passes a game than Reading, but the number of failed passes were almost identical. Fulham managed to out posses Reading in both matches that they played this season. However, falling behind in possession is not how teams beat Reading. In some of their worst defeats, they actually had much more of the ball than in their average game. Reading isn't particularly adept at creating scoring chances when they have the ball, so it shouldn't be a worry if Fulham let them have it for periods.

Score First
Fulham are a great club when they score first. Reading are an awful club when they concede the first goal, especially on the road. Putting Reading down and making them try to use possession as a weapon and not as a defense takes them out of their comfort zone.

Score Often
Fulham are 14-3 with a +27 GD in games decided by more than one goal. Reading were 8-8 with a -9 GD. Fulham is good at piling on when they take a lead, Reading struggles to stop the bleeding. This becomes even more important in a multi-leg tie, as going into the second game with a big cushion against a team that's not very good at winning games by multiple goals would be a huge advantage.

Play like a good team
If the regular season had only been contested among the playoff teams, here's what the table would have looked like.

Playoff Team Table
Team   Points   Win   Draw   Loss   GD
Fulham    13    4    1    1    13
Reading    12    4    0    2    -1
Sheffield Wednesday    7    2    1    3    -1
Huddersfield Town    3    1    0    5    -11

In head to head matches, Fulham were the best side. However, they did blow out Reading once and Huddersfield twice, so that might skew the results. Lets look at how teams did against the entire top six.

Top 6 Table
Fulham    19    6    1    3    14
Reading    14    4    2    4    -7
Sheffield Wednesday    13    4    1    5    -1
Huddersfield Town    9    3    0    7    -11

Again, Fulham come out on top. More than a quarter of their wins came against the top 6 clubs in the Championship. Considering this was less than a quarter of their matches, this is quite impressive. Finally, lets look at how the teams played against the bottom 6 clubs.

Bottom 6 Table
Reading    31    10    1    1    16
Sheffield Wednesday    28    9    1    2    9
Fulham    18    6    4    2    5
Huddersfield Town    18    5    3    4    -1

These 12 games represent about 26% of the games played. Reading racked up over 36% of their points and 38% of their wins against the bottom feeders. Reading is a bit of a flat track bully, only dropping five points in those matches. Fulham on the other hand, struggled dropping 18 points against the bottom 6 teams. If you want the reason Fulham are in the playoffs and not celebrating promotion already, you're looking at. What this shows though, is that if Fulham plays like a top 6 side, Reading might just struggle to contain them.

If you go down, don't give up
Fulham were very good at winning after conceding first this year. Over 40% of the time they managed to win. While Reading may have been good at slamming the door in the past, know that Fulham are perfectly capable of coming back to win.

This all sounds rather easy. Score first, score often, don't give up if you fall behind, and believe you are the better team. Probably not the best advise to give the team, but these are the points to keep in mind as you watch these semi-finals play out.

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2017/5/10/15616650/fulham-reading-keys-to-the-game-championship-playoff-semifinal

WhiteJC

Championship playoffs to be streamed in US featuring Reading, Fulham, Sheff Wed and Huddersfield

The Championship playoffs will be streamed to viewers in the United States featuring Reading, Fulham, Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield Town all fighting to become the one team that gets promoted to the Premier League.

Brighton and Newcastle have already sealed promotion from the Championship to the Premier League, but now it's time for the teams that finished in third through sixth position to compete in the Championship playoff semi-finals. Those semi-finals take begin this weekend, and will be shown live across beIN SPORTS Connect.

For soccer fans in the US, you can access beIN SPORTS Connect directly through its website, but if your TV provider isn't one of the ones listed, or if you're a cord cutter, you can still watch the games via beIN SPORTS Connect courtesy of fubo Premier on your Windows PC, Mac, Apple iPhone, Apple iPad, Apple TV, Android smartphones, Android tablets, Roku, Amazon Fire TV or Amazon Kindle.

Here's the schedule for the Championship playoff semi-finals and final (all times Eastern):

Saturday, May 13

Fulham vs. Reading (Championship playoff semi-final 1st leg), 12:30pm, beIN SPORTS Connect and fubo Premier (free trial)

Sunday, May 14

Huddersfield vs. Sheffield Wednesday (Championship playoff semi-final 1st leg), 7am, beIN SPORTS Connect and fubo Premier (free trial)

Tuesday, May 16

Reading vs. Fulham (Championship playoff semi-final 2nd leg), 2:45pm, beIN SPORTS Connect and fubo Premier (free trial)

Wednesday, May 17

Sheffield Wednesday vs. Huddersfield (Championship playoff semi-final 2nd leg), 2:45pm, beIN SPORTS Connect and fubo Premier (free trial)

Monday, May 29

Championship playoff final, 10am, beIN SPORTS, Sling World Sports and fuboTV (free trial)

With fubo Premier, you can stream NBCSN, FS1, FS2 as well as beIN SPORTS, beIN SPORTS en Español, NBC (in select cities), CNBC, USA, NBC Universo, FOX (in select cities), FOX Soccer Plus, FOX Deportes, FOX Sports Net, FOX Sports GO, Telemundo, Univision, Univision Deportes, UniMas, One World Sports, CSN and YES.

fubo Premier, the legal streaming service, also streams La Liga, Liga MX, World Cup 18/22/26, Women's World Cup 2019, MLS, UEFA Champions League, Europa League, FA Cup, Primeira Liga, Serie A, Ligue Un, League Cup, Championship, CONMEBOL World Cup qualifiers, NASL, 2017 Gold Cup, CONCACAF Champions League, Bundesliga, select USMNT games, select USWNT games, select Mexico games, select England games and Euro 2020 qualifiers.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2017/05/10/championship-playoffs-streamed-us-featuring-reading-fulham-sheff-wed-huddersfield/

WhiteJC

Reading FC boss Jaap Stam gives THE best response when asked about that 5-0 loss at Fulham

A rather awkward moment unfolded when Royals' boss met the press on Wednesday

Jaap Stam had a brilliant response when one reporter quizzed the gaffer about Reading FC's form against Fulham ahead of the play-offs on Saturday.

Royals' boss was quizzed by a crowded room of reporters when one Sky Sports journalist pointed out his side suffered a heavy loss at Craven Cottage in December.

The reporter said: "Have you talked much about the 5-0 defeat in December?"

To which the Dutchman swiftly replied: "No I haven't. We've spoken about the 1-0 that we won at home."

Clearly trying to focus on the positives, what followed was a short awkward silence in the room before the Dutchman managed to crack a cheeky grin.

Royals travel to Craven Cottage on Saturday (5.30pm kick-off) before hosting the Whites in the second leg next Tuesday at Madejski Stadium (7.45pm kick-off).

Stam gave more decisive answers surrounding the first leg of the play-offs as he confirmed winger Garath McCleary was back in training after missing last weekend's win at Burton .

He also confirmed that Paul McShane and Joey van den Berg are also both expected to feature on Saturday.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-fc-boss-jaap-stam-13017482

WhiteJC

Three Or Four At The Back? Jaap Stam's Dilemma For Playoff Against Fulham
What can we learn from our two regular season encounters with Fulham? Here @WilliamOwain looks at how a change to a three man defence at home helped Reading keep a clean sheet at the Madejski Stadium.

The lack of defensive protection Reading's midfield offers its defence has been a problem all season. In fact we highlighted it as an area of concern before the season even started.

By now it is clear that defending is not a priority for Jaap Stam. How we line up defensively has to work around the main tactical priority which is to control possession.

Unfortunately this has led to some heavy defeats for Reading this season, including at Craven Cottage in early December. The Royals went into that game without possibly their best defender Liam Moore and lined up with a four man defence.

That afternoon will be on everyone's minds on Saturday when Reading and Fulham commence battle for the fourth time in half a year. Fulham ran riot and there were some familiar defensive frailties from Stam's team.

The first goal may have been a freak own goal, but two of the goals looked remarkably similar to those seen in other heavy away defeats this season.

Fulham's second came when Reading failed to deal with a long ball allowing Chris Martin to control and shoot from the edge of the box.

Whilst it is more than a little worrying how regularly individual errors appear in Reading's away day miseries, it also noticeable how often the midfield go missing. The picture below shows Martin about to shoot and there is no Reading midfielder in the picture.

Reading's midfield does appear in the below picture for Fulham's fourth goal, but they have both been guilty of switching off. Another inability to deal with a loose ball led to Sone Aluko picking up the ball just off the picture next to Chris Gunter on the left edge.

George Evans starts that incident high up the pitch, but by the time the ball is played to Stefan Johansen he isn't in too bad a place. Unfortunately Joey van den Berg has switched off.

He is far too over the pitch considering that just a second before the ball was out wide. He should be much closer to Evans, but Reading's two midfielders are too far apart allowing Johansen plenty of time to control and shoot.

Part of the problem is that most of Reading's midfielders and attackers are not only given little defensive responsibility, they are also encouraged to play high up the pitch. It is rare for any of the front three to drop deep when Reading build from the back. That means they can have little influence in defence.

When playing four at the back, the two more attacking central midfielders also rarely drop deep. Below is an example of the movements and positions Reading take up when controlling possession.

The centre back split with the full backs pushing on and the deepest central midfielder dropping deep. That leaves the space inside the yellow box without a Reading player.

This can end up looking like three at the back with wing backs. It is very similar but there are a few differences.

For one the midfielder dropping deep is running backwards so isn't facing the opposition.

Stam likes his team to form triangles so that his players have more than one option when they have the ball. As a result the deep midfielder has a license to roam so he can support the centre backs and full backs. That of course means he has to make up a huge amount of territory which can see him out of position when the opposition counter attack.

The difference with a three man defence is shown below. Again the centre backs will split but this time a third centre back is between them rather than a midfielder.

I have shown the movement for when the ball is on the left side. The left central midfielder will drop deep to support the defence which allows the left attacker to move into the vacant space. That allows the wingback to push forward.

Crucially the third centre back is a constant central presence and can push forward to defend the yellow box.

An example of that is show in a Fulham counter attack in the return game at the Madejski Stadium. Liam Moore excellently steps into the space between the defence and midfield to close down Lucas Piazon and makes a superb tackle. He can do that because Paul McShane and van den Berg are covering him.

You can see another example of this below. Moore has tracked the run of Johansen knowing that van den Berg is marking Martin and Tiago Illori, the left wingback, is covering out wide.

None of Reading's three central midfielders, circled in red, are close to the area Moore is marking.

There is a downside to Moore stepping up though. To do that he needs his fellow centre back to be on top of their game and it gives them little margin for error.

Reading seem to be safe in the above picture but Tom Cairney plays a through ball for Martin to run onto. As you can see below, van den Berg has switched off for a second and is suddenly out of position. With Moore not able to cover him he makes a desperate attempt to get back and concedes a penalty.

Conclusion
Fulham tend to play four at the back with two very attacking full backs. Another advantage of playing three at the back is that it would allow Reading's wingbacks to push up and mark Fulham's fullbacks.

Of course the alternative is that Stam might decide that starting with a four man defence means his wingers can play wider forcing Fulham's fullbacks to stay deep. Such is Fulham's attacking intent and Reading's slow build up in possession such a tactic may not be that effective. Fulham's fullback will likely attack regardless of what Reading do and they will also know that Reading rarely launch quick counter attacks that could leave them out of position.

With that in mind I would expect Stam to opt for a three man defence and that was what he played against Burton. One thing that might influence his decision is the fitness of Paul McShane. I would be surprised to see Reading start with a back three that does not include their club captain.

Whatever Stam chooses I just hope he is not as cavalier, at least for the first leg, as he has been sometimes this season. Fulham have shown that they will take full advantage of space given to them. Stam may decide to make covering important areas more of a priority than usual.

http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/2017/5/11/15581994/fulham-v-reading-fc-playoffs-tactics-preview-defence

HatterDon

Quote from: WhiteJC on May 11, 2017, 07:50:38 AM

Pompey interest in Fulham forward?

George Williams, the type of forward Paul Cook would want at Pompey I reckon, has been linked with a move to Fratton Park, according to HITC.

There's a catch, Williams is he's under contract, apparently highly rated and in demand, but the fact he's found his chances at Craven Cottage limited could see him move on? Especially if Fulham made it into the Premier League through the play-offs?

Williams, who rose to fame as a youngster at MK Dons I believe, is attracting attention north and south of the border. Pompey would have to overcome competition from the likes of Charlton, Burton and Plymouth, I'm sure we could beat that lot (Argyle) again - no doubt they would bottle it when it came to the crunch...

A loan return to MK Dons earlier in the season was eventually cut short, owing to a lack of football at the league one club, but his return to Craven Cottage saw him score 17 goals for Fulham's U23 side from January onwards.

Yes, U23 level is different to 1st team level, but Williams, 21, doesn't lack this as such and is an international, having been part of the Wales squad that made it to the semi-finals at Euro 2016.

I've heard of Williams, as said a player who has always been highly rated, but cannot claim to know much about him? However, what I would say is this type of 'rumour' is a potentially realistic one, but it actually going through might come down to the fee involved, unless Fulham extended his deal and we are then talking a season-long loan arrangement? I'm not overly keen on loans these days though to be honest

We'll see how this one pans out, on a likelihood rating I'd think it's got a decent chance, like I say, well of having at but of substance to it at least.

PLAY UP POMPEY

Read more: http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=581210#ixzz4gkatsbsV

Is English this guy's first language?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel